daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old April 19th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #61
Gary12345

Likes (Received): 3

Hammerson reported good progress with extensions and redevelopments at its UK properties. It recently started on site with the redevelopment of the 110,000-sq ft Monument Mall, Newcastle, with the first reconfigured unit due to open for trading later this year.
http://www.shopping-centre.co.uk/new...ammerson_.html

Later this year? Sooner than I expected.
Gary12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:44 PM   #62
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 173

I'm just thinking of the names who have been linked with wanting a store in Newcastle.

Zara, Gap, American Apparel, Hugo Boss, Armani.

Well those are the big names in anyway.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:44 PM   #63
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 18

I wouldn't bet on some of the new tenants being relocations- let's not forget ES and how many were just moving into bigger premises.
One possible is Harvey Nichols- who are introducing small stores in the UK- about 22000sqft- they are opening one in Liverpool and if we were to see anything like this the more up Market area of monument/grey street/ Blackett street would be ideal for them- especially if they get some similar minded retailer neighbours such as Hugo Boss etc. Just a thought anyway.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:52 PM   #64
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejon View Post
I wouldn't bet on some of the new tenants being relocations- let's not forget ES and how many were just moving into bigger premises.
One possible is Harvey Nichols- who are introducing small stores in the UK- about 22000sqft- they are opening one in Liverpool and if we were to see anything like this the more up Market area of monument/grey street/ Blackett street would be ideal for them- especially if they get some similar minded retailer neighbours such as Hugo Boss etc. Just a thought anyway.
I don't think it will be relocations. Only Sports direct and TK Maxx seemed to be happy sitting there and I don't think the developers would be reconfiguring the whole mall just so those two stores can have larger units.

Of course the names I mentioned and Harvey Nichols are names we would only dream of having in MM but if the developers are following our aspirations then theirs no reason why are few of them can't make it into MM.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #65
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

TK Maxx is to take a 2 story unit in Monument mall that will face onto Northumberland street. I'm assuming it will be a new unit created at the entrance of Monument mall and not the former Peacocks store.

So one of the new tenants is indeed a relocation.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #66
Delaval

Likes (Received): 6

Are you sure it is a two floor unit they've taken? I would have thought they would have taken the largest unit in the development which is located on the first, second and third floors with stock rooms on the fourth floor. All the other units are just far too small for TK Maxx.
Delaval no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #67
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaval View Post
Are you sure it is a two floor unit they've taken? I would have thought they would have taken the largest unit in the development which is located on the first, second and third floors with stock rooms on the fourth floor. All the other units are just far too small for TK Maxx.
It said that (a two floor unit) in yesterday's Chron (can't find a link, I'm afraid)
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #68
geordiejon

Oh well so much for the high end retailers! Hahaha! It's bit like when Market Street was billed 'Bond Street' of the north and we go TJ Hughes!
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #69
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 30

TJ Hughes is low end, but although TK Maxx is budget, they sell lots of designer labels so attract a more mixed clientele and a definite younger demographic.

The saving grace is they will front Northumberland St. Remember after the refurb this will not be a mall, so the frontages to Monument are on another street, so not therefore 'associated' with the units facing Notrthumberland St. I still have high hopes for the big unit. Argubly this will have the most prestige frontage (overlooking the monument, grey and grainger st) and some of the highest passing trade of any shopping unit in the city. Call me an optomist!
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #70
geordiejon

Me being the forever pessimist and after the high number of relocations we had at ES I expect a H&M, flag ship ladbrokes, o2 shop and of course a Tesco Metro- maybe even Greggs just for good measure. Sorry but TK Maxx may sell labels but they are usually labels other shops can't flog. It is often a jumble shop- although I like a browse in the home bit- and again they weren't exactly what I thought as higher end retailer and if they are taking a 2 floor unit it will be fairly prominent in the development and won't exactly have your Armani's or Hugo Boss flocking to be close to the anchor store will it?
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #71
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 22

I'm actually quite optimistic for the development. The fact that TK Maxx has been given the N'land street frontage is a plus point imo as it frees the Blackett street frontage for a cluster fitting the stretch (given the offer around Monument). The only tenant I had heard with an interest was Cafe Rouge.... they've opted for Grey street instead but it does hint at the type of tenant in mind.
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #72
Gary12345

I think it was inevitable that TK Maxx would retain a presence in the redevelopment, so I wouldn't read anything in to what this means for the other units. Besides, TK Maxx sell some great brands; such as John Smedley at a fraction of the price you'd pay in Fenwick.
Old April 29th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #73
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 16

Jumbe sale - that's a very good assertion about TK Maxx. I haven't been to TK Maxx online, but i'm wondering whether the experience the same - does it involve browsing though items very randomly, and realising that the only item you fancy is half the size you'd like?
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #74
geordiejon

Yes that's it! The only 'brands' they ever have are on sizes xs and xxl. So if you're a midget or morbidly obese your in brand heaven! I agree it would be a slight step up from TJ Hughes but only marginally. To be honest I kind of lived in the hope they were just going to leave city centre and concentrate in the Team Valley and Byker large shed environments- as well as the Metro Centre.
To be honest it will all be 100 times better than what was there before in Monument Mall but my hope of high end retailing may be dashed if the first tenant announced is TK Maxx. I know it's going to be round the corner on N'land street but when other retailers go to looking to see who they are signing for the area TK Maxx isn't going to sell the development IMO. Anyway I do hope that if there is an even bigger 3 storey unit facing Blackett street we could get Zara- saves me ever happening to ever going to the metro centre again (I do like a browse through Zara).
My ascertain that Harvey Nichols could open one of their small store in the development does now sound foolish now that TK Maxx is the first announcement. However, prior to that I do think it would have been ideal for HN to open there- in the larger unit. I mean if you think about it Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Bristol, London and soon Liverpool all have a HN in various sizes and guise I think Blackett street facing the grandeur of the Monument and Grey Street was just down HN street (pardon the pun!) and Newcastle- with a smaller sized outlet would have been a logic addition to their portfolio. And IMO we could never support a full sized HN or Selfridges store and the monument mall development may be our only chance of securing the prestige name of HN in our city (and please let's not start the arguement that HN is no better than fenwicks blah blah- HN doesn't have slipper and tights stocked at their front door- rightly or wrongly they do carry prestige to their name that city marketeers love and NE1 would wet their pants if they could use HN in their adverts).
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #75
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 29

Pictured today....

Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #76
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 45

The only 'brands' they ever have are on sizes xs and xxl. So if you're a midget or morbidly obese your in brand heaven

I think you mean "if you are a shortie or of distinguished height." It would be a relief - yes, you, M&S - not to suffer shops that go up to a maximum 33" leg. Some of us ae not diminutive.
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #77
jkkne
Northumberland Import

Likes (Received): 68

Gap have been in talks with CSC over a Gap Kids or Banana Republic store but they broke down. Maybe they'll now look to Newcastle and the MM development

I think BR would be a decent fit for MM
jkkne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:17 PM   #78
Gary12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkne View Post
Gap have been in talks with CSC over a Gap Kids or Banana Republic store but they broke down. Maybe they'll now look to Newcastle and the MM development

I think BR would be a decent fit for MM
BR would be perfect, but I think it's a bit of long shot when we don't even have a GAP.

Just been looking at the plans again, can anyone tell me what LSU stands for? It's not Let Shop Unit by any chance is it?
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk...LAN-301741.pdf

Last edited by Gary12345; May 1st, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:06 PM   #79
Delaval

Likes (Received): 6

No. LSU stands for Large Shop Unit
Delaval no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:01 AM   #80
Gary12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaval View Post
No. LSU stands for Large Shop Unit
Thanks! D'oh

Tags
construction, development, developments, newcastle, newcastle retail, project, project - newcastle area, projects