daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast

Southeast » Development News | Includes TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #1
lajohn_24

Likes (Received): 0

Which Southern City Or Cities Needs The Most HELP???

IMO I think Columbia, SC needs a lot of help. Eventhough it is a beautiful city, it's skyline is very scattered and needs a lot of filling in, and a few taller and iconic skyscrapers. As the capital of SC and in the middle of two major cities (Atlanta and Charlotte), it needs to represent more.
lajohn_24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 9th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #2
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 314

Birmingham is the one that seems to stand out from my perspective. Its slow population growth seems to be a real anomaly.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #3
CVG

Skylines are nice but overrated, from the outside looking in Columbia seems to be doing pretty good. If the census estimates are accurate Birmingham seems to be struggling bigtime.

Last edited by CVG; April 9th, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
CVG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 3

Jackson, MS. Even Oprah can't help that state.
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #5
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 21821

Columbia SC isn't really that big and much of the state's recent economic successes have been elsewhere. It actually looks quite nice for a city of only 130,000.

I guess the one city my fingers are crossed for the most is Memphis. It's a great American city and it's time for the skyline to reflect that. A few skyscrapers is all I ask.
Old April 10th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #6
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 75

Richmond has great density, now all we need are one or two signature towers to tie it all together

-Fairfax County-1,130,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #7
kingchef

i have to agree w/ desertpunk, memphis really needs to do something about its skyline. we can't just continue to build 14 to 18 story buildings, when midtown and east memphis have 20 to 34 story buildings scattered 16 miles out of the business district to germantown parkway. some of these national hometown developers keep a great deal of the competition out of the city. chicago, dallas, la, nyc, etc. are some of the locations where developers want to get into the scraper business in memphis. i say, let 'em come!
kingchef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #8
CVG

According to census estimates Memphis, Birmingham, and Norfolk/Virginia Beach are the only 3 Southern metros with over 1 million people that are losing the domestic migration battle. Thats a really bad sign heading forward, hopefully they can do something to reverse that trend.
CVG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #9
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVG View Post
According to census estimates Memphis, Birmingham, and Norfolk/Virginia Beach are the only 3 Southern metros with over 1 million people that are losing the domestic migration battle. Thats a really bad sign heading forward, hopefully they can do something to reverse that trend.
It is a bad sign to be losing population amidst so many cities with large gains, but I kinda like the skylines of Birmingham and Memphis. They both have pretty nice density and a mix of older/classic towers with some more modern ones. I hope they all can turn things around in the near future...maybe the economy will keep improving and that will restart the southern population boom.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:59 AM   #10
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 75

"Needs help" sure is a broad question.... Are we scrutinizing skylines here, or everything?

-Fairfax County-1,130,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #11
nostyle

Likes (Received): 1

I think just skylines. The OP has only posted twice ever and is probably brand new, under the impression that the topic of skylines dominates a message board called "skyscrapercity". That, and his original post pretty much critiques Columbia's skyline (and nothing else) from the get-go.
nostyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #12
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 37

In my life I've lived in Japan, Germany, Hungary, South Carolina, Virginia, all over North Carolina, and all over California. I've now lived in North Carolina 9 years, and I must say, North Carolina seems to be the only southern state that's gotten it's shit together.

The whole South is a hellhole, and outside of Raleigh, almost all major southern cities have disgusting crime rates. I'm grateful to live in Raleigh, I moved here 2 years ago from Fayetteville, and that place is no exception to what I've said. Also, its sad to see places like Charlotte that are so nice, yet have such horrible areas and high crime rates. The South needs a savior, glad to see its starting to get some attention.

To directly answer your question though, I think the areas that DON'T need too much help are Raleigh, Atlanta (except for crime), Nashville, Northern VA, Charleston, Charlotte (once again except for crime), Asheville, and literally that's all I can think of haha. Every other city is shit, I'm just glad I go back to Cali and North to NYC for well over half the year.

I will also say the worst areas that need tremendous amount of help are ALL of Alabama and Mississippi, basically every sizable city in Louisiana, just about every major city in Florida (in terms of developing some type of culture, and lowering crime and unemployment), and a lot of small towns in between the large cities, for instance High Point in NC is about as nice as Senegal.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #13
royal rose1

And now for my response in terms of skylines haha. I think Raleigh definitely needs help with its skyline, we've been arguably the fastest growing city in the past decade, yet our skyline has added very few buildings... We are the headquarters of research triangle park and somehow have a skyline that does not reflect that. It's a nice skyline, just has an issue with mass.
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #14
annie_himself

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post

The whole South is a hellhole, and outside of Raleigh, almost all major southern cities have disgusting crime rates. I'm grateful to live in Raleigh, I moved here 2 years ago from Fayetteville, and that place is no exception to what I've said. Also, its sad to see places like Charlotte that are so nice, yet have such horrible areas and high crime rates. The South needs a savior, glad to see its starting to get some attention.
The whole south is a hellhole? If you think Charlotte has horrible crime, then nevermind..
annie_himself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #15
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The whole south is a hellhole? If you think Charlotte has horrible crime, then nevermind..
I speak with bias, I'm from San Diego, where our murder rate is at a level comparable to Western Europe. Raleigh isn't too bad either, at around 3.3.

But Charlotte is getting into questionable territory, with murder rates around 7 per 100,000, while Atlanta is 17.3! That is an absolutely disgusting rate, especially for a metro with an average GDP of $36,000 per person, comparable to Charlotte. I don't understand Atlanta.
Old April 14th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #16
GTR99
BANNED

Atlanta and New Orleans are top 10 most dangerous cities in US, most of us already known what cause crime rates so high lol. All other southern cities are ok to live and raise a family.
GTR99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #17
nostyle

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
And now for my response in terms of skylines haha. I think Raleigh definitely needs help with its skyline, we've been arguably the fastest growing city in the past decade, yet our skyline has added very few buildings... We are the headquarters of research triangle park and somehow have a skyline that does not reflect that. It's a nice skyline, just has an issue with mass.
"We are the headquarters of research triangle park and somehow have a skyline that does not reflect that."

No, you have it backwards. Your skyline reflects EXACTLY that. Raleigh's central business district is RTP, not downtown Raleigh. So Raleigh's skyline is a reflection of a downtown that consists mostly of government buildings and a few corporate towers, but is underwhelming given the size of the metropolitan area. Also keep in mind that the Triangle is not centralized. Raleigh is not a well-defined core. It's a metropolitan area with, in essence, three major business centers...downtown Raleigh, downtown Durham, and RTP. Given these factors, it should be expected that Raleigh's skyline is what it is.
nostyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #18
annie_himself

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
I speak with bias, I'm from San Diego, where our murder rate is at a level comparable to Western Europe. Raleigh isn't too bad either, at around 3.3.

But Charlotte is getting into questionable territory, with murder rates around 7 per 100,000, while Atlanta is 17.3! That is an absolutely disgusting rate, especially for a metro with an average GDP of $36,000 per person, comparable to Charlotte. I don't understand Atlanta.
Charlotte is not bad.
I'm from Baton Rouge, so I too have a bias.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR99 View Post
Atlanta and New Orleans are top 10 most dangerous cities in US, most of us already known what cause crime rates so high lol. All other southern cities are ok to live and raise a family.
New Orleans is not in the top 10 or 20. Last I saw, it was at #44 I believe.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...239513/#slide5

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngiuf...gerous-cities/
annie_himself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #19
royal rose1

Quote:
Charlotte is not bad.

Depends on the measure, New Orleans has by far the #1 highest murder rate in the country, at 49.1! More than double that of Oakland.
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #20
Durhamite

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Charlotte is not bad.

Still can't quite get the humor with the 7/100,000 in Charlotte as rofl (700,000 people = 70 murders!)? Lost a close family member to a murder in NC....the sh*t ain't funny! If you've ever had to deal with one, the impact is devastating. Yes, Charlotte has it's fair share of crime and experiencing one break-in, stolen vehicle, etc. is one too many....again, the sh*t ain't funny.
Durhamite no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia