daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Somalia > Photography /Sawirro

Old April 17th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Constantine MMX
RETIRED

Likes (Received): 64

Somali Mosques | Minarets and Domes | Picture Gallery

Mosque of Islamic Solidarity جامع التضامن الإسلامى (Masaajidka Isbahaysiga)

image hosted on flickr

Mogadishu
Constantine MMX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 17th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Constantine MMX
RETIRED

Berbera Mosque
Old April 19th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #3
MDGW

Likes (Received): 76

Mosque in Xamarweyne (Old Mogadishu)

Masjidka Isbaheysiga/ National Mosque, Mogadishu
MDGW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 09:29 AM   #4
EvolvingPrimates

Likes (Received): 51

The following are from Sh Biyamaalow Mosque in Mogadishu. Again All Rights Reserved

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by EvolvingPrimates; April 21st, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
EvolvingPrimates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 10:42 AM   #5
EvolvingPrimates

My Grandpa Macalin Nuur Maxamed Siyaad Mosque, Madina District, Mogadishu. All Rights Reserved

image hosted on flickr
[

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:37 AM   #6
daahir

Likes (Received): 6

^Great pictures. I am glad these beautiful and historic mosques survived the savage destruction of Mogadishu and are in a good condition.

Last edited by daahir; April 21st, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
daahir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:25 PM   #7
EvolvingPrimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by daahir View Post
^Great pictures. I am glad these beautiful and historic mosques survived the savage destruction of Mogadishu and are in a good condition.
The Sh Biyamaalo Mosque was destroyed by Al Shabab and the Isbaheysika Mosque was affected by the war. Both were rebuilt recently, alhamdulilah. The Macalin Nuur Maxamed Siyad Mosque was built and designed by his son in 2010.
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:33 PM   #8
EvolvingPrimates

The Designer and builder of the Macalin Nur Mohamed Siyad Mosque is his own son.

image hosted on flickr

Graduation stories: Osman Nur designs unique mosque to honor his father

LAWRENCE — To get to know the Somali father he left when he was just a child, Osman Nur needed the ‘excuse’ of his University of Kansas McNair Scholars Program research project.

Nur, his mother Madina Sheikh, three older brothers and an older sister fled their native Mogadishu, Somalia, in 1991 at the start of the Somali Civil War. His father Aabow Mo’alin Nur, a teacher, religious leader, community organizer and self-taught architect, stayed.

Osman Nur (Photo by David McKinney/University Relations)

“He’s the reason I’m in school,” Nur said. “I really didn’t like school that much. Growing up, I didn’t go to school. Everything I’ve accomplished in school is because of him. We’d talk on the phone only about once a month because it was so expensive. Before he even asked how I was, he’d ask about my education and how I was doing, which kept pushing me to do better, demanding I take school seriously. He didn’t allow me to ask questions about him. He never liked people writing about him.”

Of leaving Somalia, Nur said, “Survival was the main thing, living from hour to hour, just getting away from the war. We were just happy to be alive.” Family members migrated to Kenya, where they stayed until 1998. They received political asylum and were able to come to the United States in 1999 through the sponsorship of an older sister, Hamsa Mohamed, a primary care physician in Saginaw, Mich.

“The only thing we knew about America was from Hollywood movies,” Nur said. No one in the family spoke English. They first went to a large Somali community in Rochester, Minn., then moved to Overland Park in summer 2002. Nur graduated from Shawnee Mission North High School in spring 2003, then began attending KU in fall 2003. His mother has since moved back to Rochester.

The mosque under construction in Somalia (Photo courtesy of Osman Nur)

Then came the project award. KU’s McNair Scholars Program is federally funded and helps prepare first-generation, low-income students from underrepresented ethnic groups for future careers as faculty members and researchers.

Nur’s father designed more than two dozen of the 37 mosques he managed in Somalia. Nur went to Somalia to do research, mentored by Marie-Alice L’Heureux, associate professor of architecture. His main goal, though, was to interview his father for what became his McNair project essay, “The Transformation of Islamic Architecture: The Work of the Somali Sufi Mosque Designer, Mo’alin Nur, ‘Aabow’ ”

Describing his father’s initial reaction, Nur said, “When I told him, he said, ‘You’re telling me you’ve gone to America to learn about Nur, that your school in America is going to teach you about me?’ He always referred to himself as ‘Nur’ with any of the titles he was given. He only answered the questions because I told him it was required for my assignment, for my education.”

In his essay, Nur wrote, “The gentleman I call father kept his past a secret although he always tried to give me a better life than the one he had.”

Nur saw his father twice in the past 11 years before the elder Nur’s death in October 2009. Traveling to Somalia for his father’s funeral, Nur took a sketchbook and began to think of ways to honor his father by drawing designs for a mosque, the principal religious and communal building associated with Islam.

“He’s how I got into architecture, to study something he knows. I knew I had to do something for him,” Nur said, thinking that every time people came to the mosque they would pay respect to his father. Nur said his family in both the United States and Somalia, told him, “Only you can design it.”

The design and building of the mosque became an additional part of Nur’s architectural academic program. He was guided by L’Heureux and Steve Padgett, associate professor of architecture.

In the design, Nur introduced some design details not seen before in mosques built there. Instead of semicircular doorway arches, Nur’s are stepped arches based on golden ratio proportions used in the five domes of the mosque. The mosque’s minaret, Nur said, is the tallest around at more than 100 feet. Roofs had always been flat concrete slabs. His design uses waffle-slab construction.

“It was scary, something they’d never seen. People in the community had lots of experience building things and probably thought, ‘Why should we listen to this kid who’s never built anything.’ The reason they did was because I was the son of their respected religious leader. I know about the culture, that you don’t argue with the elders or even tell them what to do or how to do it.

“How many KU students could dream of building something like this when they’re in school? What’s the point of an education if you can’t share it?”

“Osman has applied the skills he learned to real life,” said Allyson Flaster, academic services coordinator of the McNair Scholars Program. “He created a mosque and mausoleum to honor his father. His father’s community embraced the design that’s currently being built. He is also creating a design and master plan for a high school in Abudwaq in central Somalia that has been without a formal high school for a decade as a result of the civil war.”

Nur said he credits KU with helping him learn critical thinking skills, encouraging him to question rather than following only rigid or traditional rules. In 2008, he earned an Undergraduate Research Award from the University Honors Program to study the aboriginal and modern architecture of Australia and a prestigious Gilman International Scholarship to study at the University of New South Wales with Pritzker Prize-winning architect Glenn Mercutt.

“In Australia and Asia, I was able to see how different other people live, that there are different ways to do things, that my way is not the only way.”

Chosen for the Multicultural Architectural Scholars Program, Nur said he values tutelage from its co-directors Bill Carswell and Hobart Jackson, associate professors of architecture, plus support from Patti Baker, assistant to John Gaunt, dean of the School of Architecture, Design and Planning. Carswell also was a mentor for Nur’s undergraduate research in University Honors Program.

Nur said he plans to eventually do graduate work in vernacular or indigenous architecture. His family wants him to pursue a doctorate. He’d also like to work with a cultural or tourist architectural firm, involving community buildings that are regional and unique to each “so they feel it is theirs.”

“Osman is a remarkable man with a truly compelling life story,” said Keith Diaz-Moore, associate professor and chair of architecture. “He is an insightful student who engages in architecture with pure enthusiasm and delight. The fact that he’s already engaging in such meaningful work reflects the great promise he holds as a future professional.

For his superior achievements — and his father’s legacy — Nur will carry the banner for the School of Architecture, Design and Planning, leading his fellow graduates at Commencement. He is a candidate for the professional master’s of architecture degree.

http://www.news.ku.edu/2010/may/7/nur.shtml
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:34 PM   #9
EvolvingPrimates

Interview with the designer

http://cobblestone.me/hassan-moalin-nur

Some of his other work

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/hassan-nur/45/6a8/508
Old April 21st, 2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Mysterydude

Likes (Received): 7

Excellent pictures!
Well done designer Osman Nur, real patriotic somali.
Mysterydude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 06:04 PM   #11
Constantine MMX
RETIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolvingPrimates View Post
My Grandpa Macalin Nuur Maxamed Siyaad Mosque, Madina District, Mogadishu. All Rights Reserved

image hosted on flickr

This one is amazing!
Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:47 PM   #12
musa90

Likes (Received): 7

Nice pics, EvolvingPrimates.
musa90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:17 AM   #13
Xusein

Likes (Received): 2372

Very interesting designs.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #14
TERZIev
681 - ∞

Likes (Received): 3595

i want to see some old mosques guys

- JFK -

Faces from Bulgaria...
TERZIev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #15
Constantine MMX
RETIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERZIev View Post
i want to see some old mosques guys
Somalia has the oldest mosques with minarets in East Africa, and with beautiful mihrabs as well. However good recent pictures are hard to come by. With the growing stability there will be a flood of new images in the near future.

Arba Rukun Mosque - 13th century AD - Mogadishu
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #16
TERZIev
681 - ∞

Likes (Received): 3595

that was fast keep it comin

- JFK -

Faces from Bulgaria...
TERZIev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #17
juzme123

Likes (Received): 828

Somalia| Ancient city of Zeila

Dhamantiin dhergi weyney ee
Isu dhiibnay dugaag ee
Soomaaloo kala daadsan
Hadaynaan isu duubin
Durki mayno xadaawe
Cidna daafici mayno.
"

Cabdulaahi Suldaan Timacadde

---

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
Margeret Mead

Last edited by juzme123; May 13th, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
juzme123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #18
juzme123

Somalia | Old Berbera Mosques| Varying, between 150-500 years old

image hosted on flickr

Isu dhiibnay dugaag ee
Soomaaloo kala daadsan
Hadaynaan isu duubin
Durki mayno xadaawe
Cidna daafici mayno.
"

---

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
Margeret Mead
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #19
juzme123

Ithna Asheri Mosque in old district of Mogadishu

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]image hosted on flickr
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Isu dhiibnay dugaag ee
Soomaaloo kala daadsan
Hadaynaan isu duubin
Durki mayno xadaawe
Cidna daafici mayno.
"

---

Margeret Mead

Last edited by juzme123; May 13th, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #20
juzme123

Fakr-u-Diin Mosque - Mogadishu | 13th Century | Somalia

[/IMG]
Isu dhiibnay dugaag ee
Soomaaloo kala daadsan
Hadaynaan isu duubin
Durki mayno xadaawe
Cidna daafici mayno.
"

---

Margeret Mead

Last edited by juzme123; June 3rd, 2012 at 10:02 PM.