daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2016, 08:39 PM   #341
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

http://www.spt.co.uk/2016/08/22589/

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #342
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Where is this 'overground' section? Not on the regular route, right? i dont remember about such thng in Glasgow.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 10:59 PM   #343
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Where is this 'overground' section? Not on the regular route, right? i dont remember about such thng in Glasgow.
As was said before, it's gateway to Govan depot. It was built as part of 1977-1980 modernisation:

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Tågälskaren, geometarkv liked this post
Old November 24th, 2016, 06:00 PM   #344
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=526

Glasgow proposes airport tram-train link
Thursday, November 24, 2016

GLASGOW City Council announced on November 24 that it has set out proposals to build a direct tram-train link between Glasgow Airport, Paisley, and Glasgow city centre

The £144m Glasgow Airport Access Project is part of the £1.13bn Glasgow City Region city deal and the Council says it will strengthen the city’s link to the rest of the world, making it a more attractive area for businesses

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old November 24th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #345
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Hmmm.. Anyone got an idea about the possible route it might take from the Paisley Gilmour St to the airport? Will this be an elevated light rail line, in street, or along the side of a road?

With a bit of luck in the future we could extend the on-street tram line around Paisley, maybe take over the Paisley Canal line to give more of the region a direct link to the airport and an alternative to going to Glasgow Central for trains.
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 04:39 PM   #346
dimlys1994

From Metro Report:

Quote:
http://www.metro-report.com/news/lig...rain-plan.html

Glasgow backs airport tram-train plan
14 Dec 2016

UK: The Glasgow City Region Cabinet agreed on December 13 to formally endorse plans for a tram-train link between Glasgow Airport and the city centre. The project is to be funded from the £1·1bn Glasgow City Region deal signed with the Scottish and UK governments in August 2014.

The £144m Glasgow Airport Access Project unveiled by Glasgow City Council and Renfrewshire Council on November 24 replaces proposals for a 1·9 km heavy rail branch from Paisley which were abandoned by the Scottish Government in September 2009

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

fool liked this post
Old December 14th, 2016, 05:18 PM   #347
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Wait, if this is going to be actual rail instead of in road tram tracks, elevated and following the original heavy rail route, then where is the savings compared to the heavy rail option that would allow direct connections to most of the country?
Cheaper trains and lighter infrastructure? Doesn't seem worth it just to save a few quid

I quite liked the idea of a non-stop Glasgow airport to Edin airport service in a decade meaning they can double their reach

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old December 15th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #348
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Likes (Received): 768

Smells of damage limitation, cancelling GARL in the first place has meant money has already been wasted.

Still though, at the very least we can hope for more application of tram-trains across Glasgow and Scotland.
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #349
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

GLASGOW | Public Transport

Not wasted, the Paisley-Glasgow line was 3 tracked meaning service enhancements to Ayrshire?
Dunno what the point is of opting for tram-trains if there isn't any tram lines.. If they built it to heavy rail standards then we could have other services and still run tram trains on it.
Doesn't make any sense to me tbh
Old January 24th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #350
dimlys1994

Glasgow celebrates 120 years of Subway operations:
http://www.spt.co.uk/2016/12/27160/

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Kolothos, geometarkv liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2017, 10:07 PM   #351
dimlys1994

From Metro Report

http://www.metro-report.com/news/met...the-start.html

Replacing paper tickets with mobile is 'only the start'
02 Feb 2017

UK: Rambus Ecebs announced at the Smart Ticketing Global conference held in London last month that its Nevis Technologies joint venture with Strathclyde Partnership for Transport would be using the Glasgow Subway to pilot the company’s latest mobile ticketing product. Roll-out is expected to begin with selected users in mid-2017.

‘Simply replacing a paper ticket is only the start’, according to Rambus Ecebs Managing Director Russell McCullagh. ‘Smart phones are redefining public transport, providing ease-of-use, security and convenience to travel seamlessly from train to bus’

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old November 11th, 2017, 08:00 AM   #352
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3709

How would you rank Glasgow's mass transit on a 0-10 ranking?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 01:17 AM   #353
Generación93
Curioso arquitectónico.

Likes (Received): 279

I really enjoyed the subway there, pretty functional. I was really flabbergasted by how tiny and narrow those little trains were! By the way, that express bus from GLA to Glasgow city seemed such a rip-off for me. When I landed I was looking for the train... until the moment I got there, I thought that my flight was going to be landing in Prestwick, which still would have been cheaper even though it's like an hour away from the city.
Generación93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 10:55 PM   #354
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generación93 View Post
I really enjoyed the subway there, pretty functional. I was really flabbergasted by how tiny and narrow those little trains were! By the way, that express bus from GLA to Glasgow city seemed such a rip-off for me. When I landed I was looking for the train... until the moment I got there, I thought that my flight was going to be landing in Prestwick, which still would have been cheaper even though it's like an hour away from the city.
Bus 757 from Airport to Paisley Gilmore St, then a train from there to Glasgow is much cheaper and about as fast. Trains are frequent, every 10 minutes or so, and bus is about ev. 15 minutes.
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
buses, glasgow, subway, transport