daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Bentley

Likes (Received): 0

Art deco flat roofs - how to resolve roof leak problem?

I live in a 1930s-1940s low level block of flats. There is a flat roof above my block and 11 other blocks on a small estate in Manchester.

They used to be owned by the council but are now owned by a housing trust. The housing trust is proposing to put a horrible pitched roof above my flat and on all 11 other flat roof blocks. A lack of investment, opting for cut costs and do jobs on the cheap and shoddy workmanship relating to previous has resulted in many roof leaks over the years, and so they've taken a decision to solve the problem once and for all and put pitched roofs on top of the blocks.

I know it's a common problem with flat roofs, but there must be other solutions that will maintain the architectural integrity of the blocks?

I'd really appreciate any advice.

And if anyone can point me in the direction of other examples of that kind of three storey-ish low level blocks of flats with flat roofs, so I can make further enquiries as to how they're dealing with it, I'd very much appreciate it.
Bentley no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Roofex

EPDM flat roofing systems are very popular for domestic buildings, they have been around for 45 years and proven to be a very reliable flat roof system, easy to fit and maintain, these flat roofs are very durable and resistant to UV damage, hail and snow, a number one choice for roofers..

Last edited by Roofex; September 24th, 2012 at 02:21 AM.
Roofex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:08 AM   #3
jojohuahua
BANNED

I don't like flat roofs at all. Any solution for the thread topic that is sufficient, though?

Last edited by erbse; October 31st, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
jojohuahua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Aban11

Likes (Received): 1

It depends upon the time, from which the roof is leaking, if it started recently, it means roof is not damaged. If the roof is as soft as it can be pushed by the foot then be ready for the major repair. Re coat the complete area if it started leaking recently. Don’t pull any damaged part of the roof just re coat over all that. This is the process which you can perform easily by yourself, but if the roof is damaged deeply then consult to some well known roofing contractor.

Flat Roof Repair
Aban11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #5
MRouchell
MRouchell

Likes (Received): 235

No roof should be truly flat. All roofs should be pitched, either steep pitched with shingles, tiles, standing seam metal, etc. or low pitched with a membrane type roof. Low pitched roofs should never be less than 1/4 inch per 12 inches. Limit penetrations as much as possible. Provide adequate roof drains or scuppers. Provide over flow scuppers when necessary.
MRouchell no está en línea   Reply With Quote