daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2015, 05:26 AM   #401
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

Hadid nearly copy pasted that designed to Miami anyway.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2015, 12:35 PM   #402
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

This film is amazing:

http://www.425parkave.com

I predict that the next large building to be redeveloped on Park will be the Colgate-Palmolive HQ, which is located at 300 Park. Colgate renewed its lease for 550k sf in the 775k sf building in 2008. Presumably, its lease is for 15 years. Hopefully, it will anchor a new tower, and new hedge fund/PE palace, like 425 Park, will rise on that site.

citybooster, taskula liked this post

Last edited by LondoniumLex; April 22nd, 2015 at 12:48 PM.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #403
LondoniumLex
BANNED

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this [POS]!"

Bonus shot
The multistory waterfall in the plaza by the Dillon Reade building was flowing. It's very nice at night.

Bonus shot

I've always liked this building located between Madison and Park. It was one of the first towers with a sloped facade.

citybooster liked this post
Old April 30th, 2015, 09:48 AM   #404
LadyAmanita

Likes (Received): 236

Since April 30 is apparently the last day before demolition begins in earnest, here's a little something I made- a weepy 425 saying its farewells. I kind of feel sorry for this building, in a way. For its time, it was something, but its facade didn't age well. I remember a friend and I walking down Park Avenue and kind of giving it a little sympathy hug, knowing what was going to happen to it. But since it's reincarnated version is supposed to be done by 2018, that's something to look forward to.

Old April 30th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #405
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Thank god & good riddance

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #406
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

Hah! Nice. I have to say I also didn't hate the existing building. When I think of midcentury, I usually think of boxes-with-plazas, and this seemed like a less-than-common combo of modernist angularity and materials with old-fashioned wedding cake proportions. Not exactly sad to see it go, especially since the new tower is going to be great, but it is an interesting little building from a particular architectural moment.

...ah well, bring on the Wolverine claws!
Old April 30th, 2015, 11:18 PM   #407
LadyAmanita

Likes (Received): 236

^Ok, now I totally have to draw that..425 Park Avenue reincarnated..with claws!

LadyAmanita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:54 AM   #408
LondoniumLex
BANNED

This building is going to be utterly amazing! I'm sure that its massive success will prompt other similar projects on Park.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 05:10 AM   #409
Vertical_Gotham

I agree and I really hope so. This is a great 900' tower.

citybooster liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:23 AM   #410
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I do like the layered wedding cake style reminiscent of earlier towers but overall just don't like the more modern international style that strongly influences it as well and greatly prefer overall the literal near total face and body lift. The lighting will be amazing at night!
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:44 AM   #411
Vertical_Gotham

Park Avenue Elevation Study
Park Avenue Between 46th and 57th Street

Quote:
Large format (~14,000 pixel) accurately scaled renderings showing facades and immediate context on either side of Park Avenue in midtown Manhattan. Produced for use in evaluating the visual impact of modifications to certain facades.
Park Ave West Side Elevation

Park Ave East Side Elevation

http://www.ajsny.com/parkaveelevation

Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:54 AM   #412
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

I'm having a hard time posting stuff lately thanks to my stupid iPad upgrade (too lazy to get on that desktop) but according to the WSJ the tower has received financing and is pretty much good to go.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by Ghostface79; June 3rd, 2015 at 06:10 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:57 AM   #413
Vertical_Gotham

Nice, I'm really looking forward to this one.

Park Avenue Office Towers Mount a Comeback
http://www.wsj.com/articles/park-ave...ack-1433282652

Quote:
New York’s Park Avenue is on track to see something it hasn’t seen in three decades: a major new office tower.
Developer L&L Holding Co. and its partners on Tuesday secured $556 million from MassMutual Financial Group to fund development of the 897-foot office tower at 425 Park Ave.

Taken with other funding from Japanese investor Tokyu Land Corp., the deal gives the developer the cash it needs to push ahead with the 670,000-square foot-tower in a display of the gradually improving appetite for office construction around the U.S.

“We’re fully capitalized and fully mobilized and ready to go,” said Robert Lapidus, L&L’s president, who has been working on the tower for nearly a decade.

Office development in the U.S. is beginning to pick up steam after years of dragging. With office vacancy rates inching down and interest rates near historic lows, developers and their financiers increasingly are willing to take risks.

In skylines from San Francisco to Chicago to Boston, large office towers are under way. In recent weeks, developers announced they were moving ahead with projects that include Brookfield Property Partners ’ planned 2 million-square-foot tower in Manhattan and Hudson Pacific Properties Inc. ’s planned 323,000-square-foot office building in Hollywood.

Still, office development remains slow by historic standards. Across the U.S., construction-data tracking firm Dodge Data & Analytics estimates developers will start work on 130 million square feet of office space in 2015, up from 107 million square feet in 2014 and 57 million square feet in 2010. Between 1980 and 2010, the country averaged 203 million square feet of annual construction starts.

There are two primary reasons for the slow rebound. Employers have had a restrained appetite for office space even as the economy has improved. Meanwhile, banks have been slow to dive back into the market for construction lending amid tighter regulatory requirements.

“There is still caution being exercised,” said Robert Murray, chief economist at Dodge.

For L&L and 425 Park, the road to development was hardly smooth. L&L bought the site in 2006, home to a half-century-old office building with leases that ran through 2015. At the time, the developer’s partner was Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc., an inopportune pairing that led to a lengthy period of uncertainty after the bank filed for bankruptcy protection in 2008.

But in 2012, L&L began pushing ahead with plans for a new development on the site after the existing leases expired, a rare move on a street that hasn’t seen a major new office tower since 499 Park Ave. was built in 1980.

L&L ultimately tapped renowned British architect Norman Foster to design the building at 55th Street. Financing was uncertain, and preleasing was nonexistent, because the building is aimed at smaller tenants who typically don’t make real-estate decisions more than a year or two ahead of a lease expiration.

In 2013, a postbankruptcy Lehman sold its majority stake to GreenOak Real Estate, a company led by former Morgan Stanley real-estate executives, while L&L continued to plan. About six months ago, L&L and GreenOak secured Tokyu as an equity partner for an undisclosed investment amount.

Then the developers sought a construction loan, ultimately turning to MassMutual affiliate Cornerstone Real Estate Advisors, which makes investments for the insurer. The firm likes large construction loans such as this one, said Jamie Henderson, Cornerstone’s head of alternative investments, because rates are relatively high and the company doesn’t typically have to vie with many rivals for the loans.

“There’s a lot less competition in that space—we think the terms are a little bit better,” he said.

Mr. Lapidus, who declined to comment on the interest rate being charged, said there were multiple offers for the loan, which proved easier to secure than it would have been earlier in the recovery.

“Three or four years ago, it would have been much more difficult to raise the capital,” he said.

With the loan in place, interior demolition of the existing—now vacant—building has begun, and L&L expects the new tower to be done by 2018. In turn, the company is shifting to a new phase: leasing the building.

Mr. Lapidus said he expected the building would lease for an average in excess of $150 a square foot, a level that would put it in the upper echelons of Midtown office towers.

yankeesfan1000 liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; June 3rd, 2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #414
Shakkur98

Likes (Received): 271

How tall is the new tower compared to the old one.
Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #415
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 708

The design is ok but i saw better.

enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #416
Vertical_Gotham

You know!! I said the same thing about 2 WTC!!

(: liked this post
Old June 30th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #417
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...S/Default.aspx

Renovation Work Begins on 425 Park Avenue in New York City

New York City, United States – 30 June 2015

Quote:
Norman Foster attended the recent groundbreaking ceremony for 425 Park Avenue, which will be the first full-block high-rise office building to be built on New York City's Park Avenue in the past 50 years. Foster + Partners, in collaboration with Adamson Associates, designed 425 Park to be a new icon in the Manhattan skyline, featuring a tri-blade, sheer wall top. In addition to its LEED Gold certification, the 52,000-square-meter tower will be the first in New York to be WELL certified, a standard that gauges a variety of aspects related to human health and well-being.

The high-rise office building sports three programmatic sections, each interfacing with its surroundings in a different way. The lower section is exposed to the street, the middle is recessed to the interior of the block, and the top consists of premium office space, exposing occupants to outreaching views of the city. Each section has multiple floors of sky gardens to bring a unique semi-natural experience into any level of the building. The ground floor is three stories tall, with vast open spaces suitable for large-scale galleries and even public events.

As the winners of a high-profile international competition, Foster + Partners were chosen to design 425 Park Avenue in 2012. Since then, the developing design has gained international attention as a forefront of architectural innovation in the promotion of well-being for its occupants. Foster + Partners explained their intention was to both acknowledge and respond to the rich history of high-rises in Manhattan, while also introducing a substantially more public entrance to Park Avenue.

http://skyscrapercenter.com/building...k-avenue/14787

Quote:
Facts
Official Name 425 Park Avenue
Structure Type Building
Status Under Construction
Country United States
City New York City
Street Address & Map 425 Park Avenue
Building Function office
Structural Material composite
Energy Label LEED Gold, WELL Certified
Proposed 2012
Construction Start 2015
Completion 2018
Official Website 425 Park Avenue
Quote:
Height: Architectural 272.2 m / 893 ft
Height: To Tip 272.2 m / 893 ft
Floors Above Ground 42
I guess they classify the project as U/C since renovation has begun.

hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 12:33 AM   #418
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

I guess they classify the project as U/C since renovation has begun.

Might as well since construction work could be somewhat concealed within the existing structure for some time.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 08:10 AM   #419
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager8907 View Post
If I remember correctly they're demolishing down to seven stories then re-cladding that and building on top of it.
Wait a minute, I thought they were doing a total demolition of the existing building on the site.

The design of the new building looks like the ceilings of the first few floors are higher than the ceiling heights of the existing building. The lowest portion of the new building looks like either five double-height floors or 10 regular-height floors disguised as five floors (the window eye trick?).

If they're going to retain the seven-floor portion of the existing building, there will likely be some strengthening dorks done to its frame to support the new building's additional floors.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 06:57 AM   #420
robertitoam

Likes (Received): 198

Hey new here are they gonna completely destroy the existing building or are they gonna redo the whole facade and add floors? I've read through the thread and read conflicting reports
robertitoam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, norman foster