daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2016, 03:41 AM   #661
FreeeSpirit

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by borubar7 View Post
For me the most beautifull cities in Germany are the ones that were formerly settled by Slavic peoples.
.. Especially Dresden(Drežďany) and Leipzig(Lipsk).
No offense but it is a fact.
Don't forget Lubeck Rostock and even Berlin, which means swampy ground in old Slavic
FreeeSpirit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2016, 05:01 AM   #662
Baanguru

Likes (Received): 0

It's hard to choose one but I really like Wroclaw. I actually fell in love with it because it's a colorful city and you can find so many things to do plus the nightlife there is pretty cool. It's a place that's hard to forget not only because it's very promising.
Baanguru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:16 PM   #663
borubar7

Likes (Received): 3560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baanguru View Post
It's hard to choose one but I really like Wroclaw. ...
What other Polish cities did you visit?
borubar7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #664
kubowski

Likes (Received): 183

@Black Dahlia might have some point. Cities that once were occupied by Germany are more attractive with its architecture. Buildings are higher, more detailed and for me prettier, though in a way worse condition.

To be honest, I find much smaller cities like Wałbrzych, Nysa, Kłodzko, Świnoujście, much more beautiful and worth visiting than Białystok or Lublin.

I am sorry guys, but for me Lublin is the most overrated city as far as "beauty" is concerned. It's just my personal opinion, but I've been there three times.

A list by me:

1. Kraków
2. Wrocław
3. Trójmiasto
4. Warszawa
5. Szczecin
6. Łódź
7. Toruń
8. Gliwice
9. Katowice
10. Kłodzko
11. Wałbrzych
12. Kalisz
13. Zamość
14. Olsztyn
15. Sandomierz

The first 4 is an obvious "must see" in Poland. Also, many people see Łódź as an ugly city, but it really is not. Due to its history, it's one of a kind.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10r...X0&usp=sharing

[Wątek] Kraków - oświetlenie uliczne:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1904464
kubowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 06:19 PM   #665
FreeeSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubowski View Post
@Black Dahlia might have some point. Cities that once were occupied by Germany are more attractive with its architecture. Buildings are higher, more detailed and for me prettier, though in a way worse condition.

To be honest, I find much smaller cities like Wałbrzych, Nysa, Kłodzko, Świnoujście, much more beautiful and worth visiting than Białystok or Lublin.

I am sorry guys, but for me Lublin is the most overrated city as far as "beauty" is concerned. It's just my personal opinion, but I've been there three times.

A list by me:

1. Kraków
2. Wrocław
3. Trójmiasto
4. Warszawa
5. Szczecin
6. Łódź
7. Toruń
8. Gliwice
9. Katowice
10. Kłodzko
11. Wałbrzych
12. Kalisz
13. Zamość
14. Olsztyn
15. Sandomierz

The first 4 is an obvious "must see" in Poland. Also, many people see Łódź as an ugly city, but it really is not. Due to its history, it's one of a kind.
You put Szczecin above Torun!!? Szczecin is not that pretty. Bydgoszcz is nicer than Szczecin. And Przemysl? Wroclaw main square reminds me of Krakow main square. The Germanic gothic spoils Wroclaw for me. Its too harsh - heavy - dark and repetitive. Lublin is not overrated. Just because you are bored with it? I have been there 10 times and it still beats anywhere in the UK.

Krakow is number 1 every time because the architecture is ballanced just right. Not too gothic/harsh but not too light.

Warsaw is still a big mess but in 15 years it will be the place to be in Europe.

Last edited by FreeeSpirit; September 7th, 2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old September 7th, 2016, 06:34 PM   #666
kubowski

Likes (Received): 183

For some that being harsh heavy and repetitive is the best value. It's a bit like saying Turin is not that great. Lublin is not ovverated because I am bored with it, but because of the size of the city centre and the quality of anything else but the centre. I understand the sentence with "beats anywhere in UK'' as a joke. For some people polish villages are more beautiful than british, because they are more colourful and less repetitive.

I agree, Bydgoszcz is beautiful as well.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10r...X0&usp=sharing

[Wątek] Kraków - oświetlenie uliczne:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1904464

Last edited by kubowski; September 7th, 2016 at 06:58 PM.
kubowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 07:11 PM   #667
borkosiu
nosce te ipsum

Likes (Received): 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubowski View Post

A list by me:

1. Kraków
2. Wrocław
3. Trójmiasto
4. Warszawa
5. Szczecin
6. Łódź
7. Toruń
8. Gliwice
9. Katowice
10. Kłodzko
11. Wałbrzych
12. Kalisz
13. Zamość
14. Olsztyn
15. Sandomierz

Honestly, this list without two Polish first capitals - Gniezno and Poznań is a kind of joke or radical subjective opinion.
W pozytywizmie spotykają się najsprzeczniejsze, czasami diametralnie przeciwne, zaciekle zwalczające się prądy: sąd o poezyi Chmielowskiego, radykała, pozytywisty, postępowca, sceptyka, przyjął bez zastrzeżeń ksiądz Niedziałkowski, pisarz z rozległą wiedzą, ale wstecznik zacięty i nieubłagany wróg racyonalizmu, a ultramontanny Poznań przyjął jako jedyną zasadę wytyczną dla swego bytu szkalowany żydowski, masoński, na wskroś pozytywistyczny aksiomat, że poza robieniem grosza — point de salut!

Stanisław Przybyszewski, Poznań ostoją myśli polskiej.

matias8877, hif liked this post
borkosiu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 01:16 AM   #668
FreeeSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkosiu View Post
Honestly, this list without two Polish first capitals - Gniezno and Poznań is a kind of joke or radical subjective opinion.
Although Krakow is and should be at the top - the rest of the list is purely a 'very individual' opinion.

Different things are pretty to different people for different reasons.

kubowski, borkosiu liked this post
Old September 8th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #669
RS_UK-PL

Likes (Received): 3392

Torun would've been nicer place if more Renaissance and Baroque architecture had been preserved (e.g. Jesuit Collegium, Marian Column and Artus Court)

http://www.turystyka.torun.pl/art/24...stniejacy.html

smugler liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; September 8th, 2016 at 05:09 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #670
Sobol (Miki)
Urodzony bydgoszczanin

Likes (Received): 2582

Lately I've been traveling to almost all of 10 the biggest cities in Poland (excluding Łódź and Lublin that I'm going to see next year) and I came to conclusion that curently every city from TOP 10 has something special that distunguish it among other.

Warszawa - the most ,,american" polish city
Kraków - amazing old town
Łódź - I'm sure that i will be able to say something special next year! I can't wait to see a new railway station!
Wrocław -rivers everywhere, old town
Poznań - bussiness and tenaments
Gdańsk - river in centre, Metropolis over the see shore
Szczecin - unique urbanity
Bydgoszcz - river in centre
Lublin - I'll see
Katowice -Tenaments and very good new architecture.

All of the biggest cities are already worth to see according to me. As it turned out a little bit of renovations and good new architecture have been enough and new amazing cities to visit turned up.
Aktualnie: Rzeszów

Last edited by Sobol (Miki); September 8th, 2016 at 03:54 PM.
Sobol (Miki) está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 06:49 PM   #671
FreeeSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobol (Miki) View Post
Lately I've been traveling to almost all of 10 the biggest cities in Poland (excluding Łódź and Lublin that I'm going to see next year) and I came to conclusion that curently every city from TOP 10 has something special that distunguish it among other.

Warszawa - the most ,,american" polish city
Kraków - amazing old town
Łódź - I'm sure that i will be able to say something special next year! I can't wait to see a new railway station!
Wrocław -rivers everywhere, old town
Poznań - bussiness and tenaments
Gdańsk - river in centre, Metropolis over the see shore
Szczecin - unique urbanity
Bydgoszcz - river in centre
Lublin - I'll see
Katowice -Tenaments and very good new architecture.

All of the biggest cities are already worth to see according to me. As it turned out a little bit of renovations and good new architecture have been enough and new amazing cities to visit turned up.
I think Lodz is the most fascinating place on Poland. It has no river - but this is not a minus. It evolved in the centre of Poland so people from all over could come and trade. Is has great old architecture and factorys which are all being renovated. David Lynch fell in love with Lodz and has a studio in the new 20 hectare centre which is now being developed. The 5 billion zl train station is only a fraction of what will happen. New roads - alleys - whole districts being renovated and converted. New residents are being attracted from all over Poland. A new rail trade link is also planned direct from Beijing China promising Lodz to be one of the richest cities in Europe. Buy your appartment now and make lots of money in 10 years. Lodz is also bidding for expo 2022. If it wins it will become known world wide.

Lublin is like a mini Krakow - original architecture - nice to look at. The suburbs vary - some are nice and some are not but thats the same anywhere - but we only need to concentrate on the central area - which is magical.
[IMG]https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://st.*************.com/1007373/2953/i/950/*************_29530663-Beautiful-architecture-of-the-old.jpg&imgrefurl=http://*************.com/29530663/stock-photo-beautiful-architecture-of-the-old.html&h=682&w=1023&tbnid=u4wvlbj3N5oadM&tbnh=183&tbnw=275&usg=__XNrJK4wqTCZJMwdM0phD-bGnGX8=&docid=xC8bMK-m7ZycJM[/IMG]

FEJM liked this post

Last edited by FreeeSpirit; September 8th, 2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 04:42 PM   #672
RS_UK-PL

Wroclaw in 1562

Notgnirracen, smugler liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2016, 04:48 PM   #673
RS_UK-PL

Tarnow

Old September 23rd, 2016, 04:53 PM   #674
RS_UK-PL

Rzeszow

borubar7, Stiggy, FEJM liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2016, 05:02 PM   #675
RS_UK-PL

Gdansk

Krakow

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; September 23rd, 2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 05:27 PM   #676
RS_UK-PL

Sandomierz

Przemysl

FEJM, _Kwazeusz liked this post
Old September 26th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #677
RS_UK-PL

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...HtmNvLRUSx40JA
Old September 28th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #678
Weissenberg
Grid or Riot

Likes (Received): 297

I've been to various Polish cities in the past few years and the degree of urban decay as well as overall low density are somewhat bothering. With that being said, I don't consider Polish cities to be beautiful as a whole. There's some very interesting and breathtaking areas in most bigger cities, but the fact that most of each city's urban landscape looks like either some Soviet urban nightmare or WW2 ruins is really depressing. Polish cities have so much potential and could compete with most well-known European capitals, but it's rather disappointing that what you see on these forums are images of carefully selected areas rather than a general overview of each respective city.

Alatar, Titan Man, tomanski77, sbk7, Śmierć and 2 others liked this post
Weissenberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 06:52 AM   #679
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5285

you obviously never saw Poland in the 80's and 90's. If you had, you like I would see blossoming cities. Warsaw and soon Lodz I would consider among the most improved European cities of the last 10 years. Lodz I agree has many areas of urban decay, probably the worst in Poland, but that is changing fast. Krakow, Poznan and Gdansk have very little urban blight...now I'm not comparing Poland to Switzerland I was in Hamburg and Berlin this past summer and saw some very seedy neighbourhoods too. Wroclaw with all its revitalizations of public spaces and infill is really becoming stunning. Having said that, much remains to be done....curbs on rampant parking, ad pollution, graffiti and more infill (to boost density and for aesthetics) and a better public realm is needed. Having seen nearly 100 world cities of various sizes, I would say Poland is doing quite well even against European capitals, especially in this region.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Stiggy, FEJM, dexter2, dawid392 liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #680
RS_UK-PL

Przemysl

Titan Man, borubar7, _Kwazeusz, FEJM liked this post

Tags
breslau, bydgoszcz, gdańsk, kraków, lublin, podlaskie, poznań, poznan, przemyśl, stargard, toruń, warszawa, wrocław, zamość, zamosc