daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2012, 01:32 AM   #161
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

No need to show useless videos where a tourist would never go. Make better choices. Use common sense.

Last edited by rychlik; August 1st, 2012 at 01:45 AM.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:43 AM   #162
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
those are pretty old videos, Lublin is undergoing a big renaissance and lots of restorations and new builds and Lodz although still looking a little haggard is not neglected, the people of Lodz and investors are making big progress in revitalizing the city...lots for tourists to see in Lodz, one of only a handful of cities in Poland that were virtually untouched by war. Thanks for pics of Szczecin

Wouldn't call Krakow a small version of Prague, maybe medium sized, but it's quite unique in many ways.
Surprised that most infrastructure was left untouched by war in Lodz. Strangely enough though, it became one of the "uglier" cities in Poland. The cities that were left in ruins became the pretty ones.
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:07 AM   #163
aston.ms

Likes (Received): 67

http://youtu.be/r782zV27DLI

My LUBLIN
aston.ms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:36 AM   #164
RS_UK-PL

Likes (Received): 3392

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
No need to show useless videos where a tourist would never go. Make better choices. Use common sense.
You don't know tourists these days They like to wander aimlessly through the streets

In my opinion, Polish cities cannot be called beautiful as a whole (like some Italian cities), because of the great number of commieblock or undeveloped areas.

Gdansk is only nice in the Main Town area (just a few streets, less than 50ha, correct me if I'm wrong) and as a tourist you might need just 1 day to see all. Downtown, Granary Island, Old Town, Old Suburb, etc. are still part of the City Centre, but they are an eyesore.
Krakow on the other hand has really huge area that can be called "beautiful" (it could be even 3-4 days trip, over 150ha of UNESCO World Heritage area; BTW Lwow has UNESCO World Heritage area of 120ha, Zamosc 75ha, Torun 48ha, and Warsaw 26ha).

Prague has UNESCO World Heritage area of 866ha (over 5 times larger than Krakow), Budapest 473ha, Riga 438ha, and Rome 1,485ha

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; August 1st, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM   #165
rychlik
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_UK-PL View Post

In my opinion, Polish cities cannot be called beautiful as a whole (like some Italian cities), because of the great number of commieblock or undeveloped areas.
My friend, you are very Polish. Advertising the negative instead of looking at the positive. This goes along with the Polish merciless complaining about everything, which is not a very attractive trait. Other nationalities do not do this so much. Do you hear French doing this or Italians, who themselves have a lot of run down cities? For example, Paris has certain social problems and inequalities that Warsaw will never experience (at least I hope they don't if the politicians run the country properly). This thread focuses more on the positive aspects of Polish cities/towns because, let's be honest, most people outside of Poland have a distorted, somewhat negative view of the nation.

baren liked this post
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:23 PM   #166
RS_UK-PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
My friend, you are very Polish. Advertising the negative instead of looking at the positive. This goes along with the Polish merciless complaining about everything, which is not a very attractive trait. Other nationalities do not do this so much. Do you hear French doing this or Italians, who themselves have a lot of run down cities? For example, Paris has certain social problems and inequalities that Warsaw will never experience (at least I hope they don't if the politicians run the country properly). This thread focuses more on the positive aspects of Polish cities/towns because, let's be honest, most people outside of Poland have a distorted, somewhat negative view of the nation.
I'm just trying to be realistic, what strangely means "Polish" or "negative" to you. Krakow is beautiful city in many areas and in Poland doesn't really have any rivals (however some European cities are more attractive). I've been to Gdansk few months ago and it's not as nice. Main Town is quite small and surrounded by very neglected Old Town, Downtown, etc. BTW, I live in Belfast, which looks worse than almost every larger city in Poland

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; August 1st, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:47 PM   #167
RS_UK-PL

Chojnice

Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:16 AM   #168
FreeeSpirit

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
This is irrelevant because we are talking about cities in Poland. I once met a Korean tourist wandering the streets of Warsaw - in the commi-block part of destroyed Ghetto and wild Wola. I asked him what he was doing there - there was nothing nice here. He said - an old building is just old. There is nothing else to it - boring. If Warsaw would have sided with Hitler - then there would have been a beautiful city here like in - 'Italy' . If Warsaw would have given up fighting like cowards - then there would have been nice architecture - like in 'Paris' . I am here in Warsaw because it has a beautiful soul. That's all that matters.
FreeeSpirit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM   #169
RS_UK-PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeeSpirit View Post
This is irrelevant because we are talking about cities in Poland. I once met a Korean tourist wandering the streets of Warsaw - in the commi-block part of destroyed Ghetto and wild Wola. I asked him what he was doing there - there was nothing nice here. He said - an old building is just old. There is nothing else to it - boring. If Warsaw would have sided with Hitler - then there would have been a beautiful city here like in - 'Italy' . If Warsaw would have given up fighting like cowards - then there would have been nice architecture - like in 'Paris' . I am here in Warsaw because it has a beautiful soul. That's all that matters.
I completely agree with Korean tourist, who said that Polish cities have what we can call "beautiful soul" (the same with our Belfast, which has really turbulent history). Nevertheless, the question is "What is the most beautiful city in Poland and why?‎" (in terms of architecture, history, preserved monuments, location, panorama, etc.).

PS. Please stop comparing Polish cities with the rest of Europe (it's like comparing apples to oranges). We're trying to find the most beautiful cities in Poland. I'm sure that everyone knows that pre-war Warsaw was not Paris or Rome, Krakow is not Prague, etc. Rome was founded in 753BC (population 1-2 million during Roman Empire times) and Warsaw was founded about 1300AD. In Rome you can find over 900 churches in every architectural style, and in Warsaw less than 100. Rome has over 20 old squares and Warsaw has one. No contest here, folks.

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; August 2nd, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:01 PM   #170
RS_UK-PL

Zakopane

Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:32 PM   #171
RS_UK-PL

Bialystok

Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM   #172
RS_UK-PL

Pre-war Wroclaw
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:06 PM   #173
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

Beautiful and amazing skyline of former Breslau....

Last edited by TheReconstructer; August 2nd, 2012 at 03:14 PM.
TheReconstructer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:45 PM   #174
RS_UK-PL

Pre-war Wilno, Poland (now Vilnius, Lithuania)

Pre-war Lwow, Poland (now Lviv, Ukraine)

Pre-war Grodno, Poland (now Hrodna, Belarus)

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; August 2nd, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:11 PM   #175
Ulv
Batiar

Likes (Received): 774

Quote:
Pre-war Wroclaw
Indeed beautiful, but we can't call pre-war Wrocław a polish city. Rather german-silesian.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:31 PM   #176
rychlik
BANNED

Lublin, summer 2012

image hosted on flickr
Untitled by Nondenim, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
Lublin (PL) by Nondenim, on Flickr

August 2, 2012.
image hosted on flickr
Untitled by Nondenim, on Flickr
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:37 PM   #177
rychlik
BANNED

del
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:55 AM   #178
gryfita
gryfita

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsEadk1Mp5k

motion picture: "I love Szczecin" (Szczecin - 3 years ago)
gryfita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:08 AM   #179
FreeeSpirit

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Rome has over 20 old squares and Warsaw has one. No contest here, folks.
What has size got to do with it? Just because it's bigger does not mean it's more beautiful. Rather have a small town surrounded by country than a large sprawling city which takes ages to get around.
FreeeSpirit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:28 PM   #180
RS_UK-PL

Warsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeeSpirit View Post
What has size got to do with it? Just because it's bigger does not mean it's more beautiful. Rather have a small town surrounded by country than a large sprawling city which takes ages to get around.
We all have a right to our own opinion. For some less is more

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; August 3rd, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

Tags
breslau, bydgoszcz, gdańsk, kraków, lublin, podlaskie, poznań, poznan, przemyśl, stargard, toruń, warszawa, wrocław, zamość, zamosc