daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #21
freeksregistration

Likes (Received): 14

In Belgium: Bruges, Ghent, well preserved.

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #22
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Likes (Received): 1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarSmoke View Post
Which European city would you say has the best preserved architecture with the least modern buildings?
Venice hasn't been destroyed in its history so it should be one possible answer.
BE0GRAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #23
yuri
simple user

Likes (Received): 6481

Naples is well preserved.
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #24
Sukino

Likes (Received): 1580

Edinburgh, Bruges, Toledo, Prague, Venice
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #25
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
But quite dirty.
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #26
tommolo

Likes (Received): 3596

happy stereotype day everyone!
You don't know what you are talking about...see this whole thread, then you get a vague idea of how big the historical center of naples is...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1506400
tommolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #27
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

What about all that trash problems? I wouldn't call such a city preserved.
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #28
tommolo

The difference between conjuncture and absolute value of things is very clear here I see...
The absolute value of the city is clear to everybody: naples has 17 square km of urban area perfectly preserved through centuries and classified as a UNESCO world heritage site.
The conjunctural episodes are by definition episodes, and they are completely separated to the absolute value that we're considering here.
Almost no other city in the world have conserved its structures and its buildings in a degree comparable to those in naples.
Are they well kept, in this particular day and age? I guess in many case not so much. But they are really well conserved through centuries.
The absolute value of the city and its astounding degree of preservation is out of discussion.
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #29
Victor.besa

Likes (Received): 10

Mr Tommolo, I have to agree with you in one way, naples has 17 square km of urban area perfectly preserved through centuries and classified as a UNESCO world heritage site but when I went there i noticed that because of the dirtyness, we did not feel comfortable, it looked dirty, DANGEROUS, some of the building“s paint was pilling out, and on top of this, we were walking around and we end up, in a "nice" place full of mafiosos. My wife and I where very AFRAID. Everybody was looking to us. It was a real bad expirence.

Something loke this also happened to us in O porto (beatiful city as well)
Victor.besa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #30
vittorio tauber
Doing It My Way

Likes (Received): 15498

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE0GRAD View Post
What about all that trash problems? I wouldn't call such a city preserved.
The architectural and artistic heritage of Naples and its close surroundings is extraordinary and here to stay throughout the centuries, unlike rubbish.

I dare say 3/4 of european countries offer less art history and leisure than the sole Naples metropolitan area, which count itself as a little european country of around 4 milion inhabitants.

If you ask me, I like Venice, Roma and Florence best, but that's a matter of personal taste.
vittorio tauber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #31
vittorio tauber
Doing It My Way

Likes (Received): 15498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor.besa View Post
Mr Tommolo, I have to agree with you in one way, naples has 17 square km of urban area perfectly preserved through centuries and classified as a UNESCO world heritage site but when I went there i noticed that because of the dirtyness, we did not feel comfortable, it looked dirty, DANGEROUS, some of the building“s paint was pilling out, and on top of this, we were walking around and we end up, in a "nice" place full of mafiosos. My wife and I where very AFRAID. Everybody was looking to us. It was a real bad expirence.

Something loke this also happened to us in O porto (beatiful city as well)
The whole point IMO is that what you reported happens in the touristic area of Naples, partly overlapping with the most troublesome neighbourhoods.
Paris and London -if yu consider the whole metropolitan areas- are probably far more dangerous than Naples, but none happens to tread the ghettos and banlieues for the very simple reason these venues lie off the beaten path - nor are worth any detour.
vittorio tauber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #32
tommolo

We all know that italy is a rather safe country, and naples in no exception.
There might be in some areas of the historical center an impression of vague unsafety, but the vast majority of the surface of the city, that is, from lungomare caracciolo, vomero, mergellina, to cape posillipo, is very quiet and very happy too, if I may add
Of course Naples isn't exactly experimenting the best years of its history, but this is one of the most ancient cities in Europe, and we have to be very sure that very soon it will be back to be the paradise for tourist and art lovers it has always been...
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #33
tikiturf

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittorio tauber View Post
Paris and London -if yu consider the whole metropolitan areas- are probably far more dangerous than Naples
Nice comparison, London and Paris are world cities and have a big metropolitan area (more than 12 million) and you compare them with Naples, which has a metropolitan area of 3 million people ?? If you compare it to a city with the same size that would probably be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittorio tauber View Post
but none happens to tread the ghettos and banlieues
There are no ghettos in London or Paris metropolitan areas, get the definition of this word, and btw "banlieues" just means "suburbs" in French so if I understand you, every suburbs of Paris are dangerous.....
tikiturf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #34
tommolo

it wasn't the point to demonstrate the safety or not of london or other capitals, the main point was to show that Naples is no more dangerous than other cities generally perceived as rather quiet...it is all a matter of perceptions, and of course big cities like london, paris, naples, milan too have problematic areas, we all know that and -sadly as it is-, we have to deal with it...the fact is that in a portual city like naples, the historic city center does partially coincides with what could be considered in some degree the "problematic" area.
Imagine for example what would happen to London if Westminster city would be in a problematic sourrounding...you probably get a (wrong) perception of unsafety...
Again, if you go to the riviera, chiaia, posillipo and so on you will have an absolute paradise feeling to what it is naples, but the historical center is in another area of the city...

salut Tikiturf!
Old April 30th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #35
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Likes (Received): 151

Probably Venice and Amsterdam
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:11 PM   #36
Crash_N
L'enfant terrible

Likes (Received): 789

Sankt Petersburg and Paris among the major cities
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:12 PM   #37
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3718

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
hardly.
Eddard Stark está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:17 PM   #38
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_N View Post
Sankt Petersburg and Paris among the major cities
San Petersburg has been totally built in 18-19 century, I would not consider it that old and original. Besides it has been bombed and rebuilt after II WW

Paris survived unscathed (almost) the IIWW but itself has been completely rebuilt in 19th century...I don't think an industrial-age building has the same value of a medieval one. Paris is extremely beautiful but not - in its urban fabric - extremely old

they are these two I think among the worst examples you could make
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:18 PM   #39
croomm

St-Petersburg without any doubt
croomm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:18 PM   #40
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolo View Post
ok if we want to talk about opinions, let's talk.

But if we want to talk about scientifical datas, they are completely accessible to everyone and Rome is by far the best preserved ancient city in the world with both number of buildings previous XVIII century (they are 50 thousands buildings more or less), their artistical value and the antiquity of buildings.

Some data: rome has an historical center of 70 square km, of which 15 square km are still enclosed in ancient roman walls and are UNESCO world heritage site with 5 criterias out of 6, that is to say by every criteria.

Bigger than rome it would be the historical city center of naples, with 17 square km listed as UNESCO world heritage site, but it is listed just with 2 criterias out of 5, compared to the 5/6 criterias of rome.

Other 5/6 criterias UNESCO world heritage sites in europe are smaller like Florence, with an UNESCO world heritage area of 5,05 square km. By terms of criterias, fairly wins Venice with 6/6 criteria, the very only in the world, and with an UNESCO world heritage site area of 5,16 square km. Siena and Prague only have 3/5 criterias, just to compare, and paris 3 criterias with 3,65 square km of UNESCO world heritage area listed.

This is to bring here some objective and scientifical data, but now there is room for opinions, that is to say, which one according to our taste is better preserved

Bye!
I quote.

Anyway even if Rome is far larger you cannot get a old-city 100% atmosphere as in Venice, as it is certified by Unesco, anywhere in the world