daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM   #41
tommolo

Likes (Received): 3596

that's the difference between 5 criterias and 6 criterias...the missing criteria for Rome is the sourronding area, that has grew in XX century as in other metropolis. Even considering that fact, Rome's density and volume of historical buildings is unmatched in the world: more than 41 thousands historical buildings pre-XIX century inside the UNESCO area, thousands of XIX-early XX century classical buildings, other 10 thousand rural historical buildings, comprising 11 castles, more than 500 ancient churches, thousands of Palaces and Villas, a 14 km-long ancient roman walls, the medieval walls enclosing vatican city, acquaeducts, other 25 thousands archaelogical monumental sites and millions of paintings, statues and artistical goods...but on the other side you have a city that has exactly remained like that for centuries, without almost any intervention at all and sourronded from a Lagoon of 5000 square km Venice is a jewel without a doubt and it is the least "touched" of european cities, as Unesco and scietifical literature certified

Last edited by tommolo; May 2nd, 2012 at 12:34 AM.
tommolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:55 AM   #42
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

for sure is in italy
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:23 AM   #43
skymantle

Likes (Received): 3113

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolo View Post
happy stereotype day everyone!
You don't know what you are talking about...see this whole thread, then you get a vague idea of how big the historical center of naples is...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1506400
Naples is one of the most historic cities in Europe and the world no doubt, potentially very beautiful with much of its built heritage still intact. However, in the commonly accepted view of the word 'preservation', it is not very well-preserved because it is so run-down. It has many socio-economic problems and this is reflected in the poor state of preservation of the urban fabric, quite evident with crumbling edifices, rampant graffiti, poorly maintained infrastructure and wate-management (which severely affects the urban environment) etc etc. and according to northern Italians, this unfortunately is due to the systemic corruption, non-law-abiding and generally careless mentality of Neapolitans and southern Italains in general, although I personally don't like to generalise, even if there is some truth in that claim.
skymantle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:40 AM   #44
tommolo

It may be in this specific (and temporal) conjunction not so well kept or maintained, but its heritage is really intact in an extraordinary degree...I don't wanna say naples is perfect, but sometimes very soon you'll be amazed by this city, really...give it a go, c'mon!

And I am northern italian withouth any southern family roots, but I really think this city is sooo underrated, it has so much to give to us all...until XIX it was a huge metropolis, it gave us some of the finest food and some of the finest operas and poetries...please stand up for naples, I beg you as a personal favour, the city do needs it and we all will be paid back in having this gorgeous city back in the Alpha city club!
Here's my public plea to you all to try to consider the city in a different way, to see it as a fully legitimate member of this club of best preserved cities of europe. It is a small sign, but an important one.

And I don't like the differentiations between northern italians and southern italians, we're one, north south, east west, problems begins when we think that we're better just because we have different coordinates. The only coordinates that counts are temporal coordinates, the coordinates of Change, of a time that can only go forward.
We as a country are one, please criticise us or love us, but criticise us or love us as one.

simul stabimus, simul cadimus.

Sorry for the rant, mates, Cicero's spirit possessed me! :p
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:48 AM   #45
skymantle

Likes (Received): 3113

Uhm, please don't take any criticism personally, and yes I do luv Napoli. A great historic city with much character and beauty. Neapolitan people, their food, music, culture etc is prolific too. I feel an affinity to Neapolitan culture and people as many of my friends trace their ancestry to the region.

What I have stated stems from my own visit there as well as what other Italians often point out, and as much as you'd like to consider Italy as 'one and non-divisable', there does exist a palpable divide (economic, social, mind-set) between the north and south of Italy, perpetuated by Italians themselves. This is very real, and anyone who knows a modicum about Italy's 'condition' would be aware of that divide.
skymantle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:02 AM   #46
tommolo

of course there is, and it saddens me a lot...but do not let the circumstances ruin the opinion you have of this most vibrant city. Those problems started in the last century or so, and so they are very recent in a 3000 years old cultural humus, and they will be soon to be resolved, I'm sure!
Naples is the best preserved city because it is the very only city that remained like cities were in XIX-XVIII century...it is an historical testify of the very only city that can tell us something about how to live in those eras would have seemed like, including some of the problems of those times...
I like that city, and I find its grittiness, its unpolished beauty and its truthness as a value that more maked up cities can only dream to achieve...
Considered sub specie aeternitatis, Naples would clearly fit in here (now why am I countinuously talking in latin?? Better go to sleep! :P )

Last edited by tommolo; May 3rd, 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #47
Victor.besa

Likes (Received): 10

Do not get me wrong tommolo i think Napoli is a beatiful city, although i think it is not as preserved as other city´s that have been to, such as toledo in Spain or Bruges. And let me tell you a real funny story, I got hit by a carabinieri police car, and the two carabinieri got very angry to me when it was their fault (the hit me when i was crossing in the middle of the street) and they wanted to arrest me with NO REASON!!!! Sorry i would not say that is safe. I´m mexican we hove some (a lot probably) problems ourselfs but i did not feel safe in Naples.

Changing the subject i also notice that firenze´s buildings were in a good state, the floor is horribly conservated.

If you come to México, San miguel de allende is a well preserved mexican city
Victor.besa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #48
tommolo

I'm sorry for what happened to you in Naples, I'm sure that sometimes very soon will regain its natural place in the top 5 cities in the world in terms of beauty and attractiveness, a result that now might be seen as very hard to achieve, but that the city has held for the vast majority of its history and until XIX century, and that I think I've demonstrated the city fully deserves in terms of architectural, historical, archeological and artistical heritage.

That said, will be merry not just for our little country but for europe and may I say for the whole world the day in which we all will take conscience and may fully appreciate the beauty of the city of naples!

p.d.: what do you mean with Florence's streets are horrible? I don't think so...The Firenze's street are still the same they were in middle ages, so they are obviously a little bit "damaged"...but that's the price for having a 6 centuries old street

Gracias por tus consejos, me encantaria visitar Mexico, a ver si algun dia tarde o temprano lograre visitarlo! Gracias amigo!

Last edited by tommolo; May 4th, 2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #49
ledeled

Likes (Received): 2214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
San Petersburg has been totally built in 18-19 century, I would not consider it that old and original. Besides it has been bombed and rebuilt after II WW

Paris survived unscathed (almost) the IIWW but itself has been completely rebuilt in 19th century...I don't think an industrial-age building has the same value of a medieval one. Paris is extremely beautiful but not - in its urban fabric - extremely old

they are these two I think among the worst examples you could make
What an ignorance - St. Petersburg was not destroyed during WWII - and it is one of the most well preserved historical cities of the world (yes - of XVIII-XIX centuries, wonderful period) with historical center substantially larger than that of Rome.
ledeled no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #50
ledeled

Likes (Received): 2214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
I don't think an industrial-age building has the same value of a medieval one.
What sort of value? Artistic / aesthetical value has nothing to do with age; Material value - also has nothing to do with age; historical value is based on the role that a particular building has played in history and with the events associated with that building - once again it is not related to age solely.

And that is precisely why St. Petersburg while not as old as some other places still has great historical value - in 3 centuries it saw more than many other cities saw in millenia.
ledeled no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #51
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Many Transylvanian cities are well preserved because they're perched on hillsides, away from highways and demolition crews. Many medieval buildings have inhabitants today, and, besides a few new coats of paint, parts of the cities are entirely unchanged from 500 years ago.

Sighisoara

Brasov:

Sibiu

And there are many more...

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; May 25th, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #52
Victor.besa

Likes (Received): 10

WOW!!!! where is that
Victor.besa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #53
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

Obviously suburbs don't stop a city from being preserved, if the centre is the same as it used to be.

Paris would be a candidate, except I don't remember seeing a 300m high iron tower dominating its skyline in most mediaeval pictures, nor a large mechano box sitting in the middle of it.

Venice is very well preserved, apart from a few modern infrastructure buildings it is pretty much the same as it was 500 years ago. Indeed, the lack of cars puts it pretty much above any other city in the world, except a few other Italian and Romanian ones.

Edinburgh? Really? First of all they built the old town on top of the actual medieval settlement, it's pretty much the only place in Scotland where there is no real medieval structure there. Secondly, that hideous parliament building at the bottom of the royal mile relegates it. I mentioned the Eiffel tower before, but even that is just a small shack in comparison.
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #54
Gabovzla
Curioseando

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
Many Transylvanian cities are well preserved because they're perched on hillsides, away from highways and demolition crews. Many medieval buildings have inhabitants today, and, besides a few new coats of paint, parts of the cities are entirely unchanged from 500 years ago.

Sighisoara

Brasov:

Sibiu

And there are many more...
Great pics!
Gabovzla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #55
vittorio tauber
Doing It My Way

Likes (Received): 15494

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiturf View Post
Nice comparison, London and Paris are world cities and have a big metropolitan area (more than 12 million) and you compare them with Naples, which has a metropolitan area of 3 million people ?? If you compare it to a city with the same size that would probably be fair.
So what? Those cities' numbers differ from Naples(4mil. People) but not in a scale of say tenfold or more, so a comparison makes a sense.
Quote:
There are no ghettos in London or Paris metropolitan areas, get the definition of this word, and btw "banlieues" just means "suburbs" in French so if I understand you, every suburbs of Paris are dangerous.....
No you don't.

I don't need to get any definiton. if you were less pointlessly arrogant you would probably catch the use of those words in the context and regardless french may look like quite a recessive language people abroad do know what banlieue means, of course an average smart guy understands "those kind of banlieues" - and please waste less stupid smileys, that won't make you more convincing.

Anyway - If you think Paris Or London metropolitan areas are safer than Naples' one, notwithstanding mafia, you can post the source. Is that so hurting to you to read the opposite? I can't help it.
vittorio tauber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #56
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6214

Those pics are from Romania - I loved my trip to Sighisoara, real fairy tale country of ancient woods and mountains all around.

My nominee would be Siena - no cars allowed. Venice too for obvious reasons - in terms of preservation, not having modern roads and vehicles counts for ALOT imo.

[img]

Th famous Palio, hundreds of years pf tradition in one dangerous race

the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:06 PM   #57
CHLayson
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

rome.
CHLayson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #58
thecap73

Likes (Received): 1094

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledeled View Post
What an ignorance - St. Petersburg was not destroyed during WWII - and it is one of the most well preserved historical cities of the world (yes - of XVIII-XIX centuries, wonderful period) with historical center substantially larger than that of Rome.
Quite an aggressive way to support an extremely wrong information."leningrad" was largely destroyed by the germans during "the siege of leningrad"or "leningrad blockade", that lasted from 8th of september 1941 to 27th of jan 1944.Wikipedia refers to it as one of the longest and most destructive sieges in history.
Better know the subject of the conversation before exposing oneself so much,don't you agree?
thecap73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #59
VitMos

Likes (Received): 1646

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecap73 View Post
Quite an aggressive way to support an extremely wrong information."leningrad" was largely destroyed by the germans during "the siege of leningrad"or "leningrad blockade", that lasted from 8th of september 1941 to 27th of jan 1944.Wikipedia refers to it as one of the longest and most destructive sieges in history.
Better know the subject of the conversation before exposing oneself so much,don't you agree?
destructions were only on city suburbs, but all historical buildings and palaces were restored.
VitMos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #60
alekssa1

Likes (Received): 1787

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecap73 View Post
LOL, I guess it is you whose information is an extremely wrong. Sorry. And VitMos says right about suburban palaces that were damaged but restored
alekssa1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote