daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old July 4th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #21
brum2003

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen

this will never happen im afraid.

you are correct this used to happen, but this would involve the re-instatement of the Lapel Tunnel, which i believe was one of the longest of its type when built. it suffered numerous partial collapses in its very short life-span. i believe atkins was commission to assess the viability of opening the tunnel and its largely believe by now, most of the tunnel has actually collapsed...
Indeed it's true the tunnel plan has been abandoned, good to as it would be very claustrophobic for boaters and no tow path, although the proposed visitor centre cut in the rock was stunning. A new route has been developed by Atkins for the lapal canal trust which goes through woodgate valley, the council are very supportive of the proposal.

So the plan is still to link up, volunteers are currently digging out the section on the other side of harborne lane - you can follow the line of the canal on google earth - yes lots of work and issues with two major roads but a plan is in place to reconnect and restore this canal. :-) although like I said these things take decades so maybe when I'm sixty....
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 6th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #22
timearp

Likes (Received): 0

See this site for further information including the proposed replacement for the tunnel:

http://www.lapal.org/
timearp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #23
sefton66

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Selly Oak Sainsbury's development 'skewed' in favour of retail
by Neil Elkes, Birmingham Post Jul 12 2012

The major redevelopment of a former metal manufacturing site is ‘‘skewed too far in favour of retail’’ according to Birmingham’s planning chiefs.

Supermarket giant Sainsbury’s and developer Land Securities, who have together formed the Harvest Partnership, want to transform the former Selly Oak Battery and Metals site with a mixed-use canalside development.

They want to turn the derelict site into a major centre with a superstore, up to 20 shops, bars, restaurants, offices, student flats and hotels.

But following a tour of the site and presentation the planning committee has called for a series of amendments.

The development seems set go ahead and was broadly welcomed by the planning committee.

However a particular sticking point is the lack of land or development space set aside for high-technology industry or scientific research, the development of which has been a long term aim for the area under the A38 Corridor Strategy.

Coun John Clancy (Lab Quinton) said: “They were trying to persuade us this is a retail-led model and I think the projections were extremely optimistic in terms of the economic outlook.

“This is the argument that retail will get us out of the doldrums and lead to investment. But I disagree and believe that technology and industry will lead us out of recession. There is excessive retail here.”

He was backed by Coun Peter Douglas Osborn who added: “This is skewed too far towards retail.”

The plans do suggest a building of up to nine storeys that could be used for either offices or research and development or a secure residential unit – whichever is the most economically viable at the time.

The committee have also called for improvements of the canal side environment, complaining that the proposal for a simple water channel through the site could be better.

Coun Douglas Osborn (Con Weoley) dded: “We are happy they will reinstate the canal, but not enough is being made of it. We have other shopping centres and venues which show how to better exploit a waterfront location.”

The Harvest Partnership has already made improvements to the Lapal Canal Link following consultation with the public.

The development is expected to create about 3,000 jobs for the area and was supported by 38 per cent of visitors to a series of public exhibitions held in March. A further 48 per cent support elements of the scheme.

Project director for Land Securities Neil Carron, said: “The former Battery Park is a strategic and very challenging site. Its former use for industry and landfill has frustrated development for more than fifteen years but it offers a real opportunity for Selly Oak and the wider area to be transformed.

“Therefore, in working up our proposals, we’ve aimed to strike the right balance by creating a high quality urban mixed-use environment that is realistic and deliverable.

“Feedback from the public on these plans has been very positive and we’re continuing to consult widely and engage with key stakeholders and the council.

‘‘If approved, the scheme will transform a derelict industrial and landfill site into a thriving centre, creating 3,000 much-needed jobs and bringing significant community benefits to the area.”

The company will continue negotiations with the planning department before the finalised application is considered by the committee.

If approved, work on the development will begin next year with a view to a 2016 completion date.

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/news/p...#ixzz20iwxJ43l
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:40 PM   #24
timearp

Scaffolding has been erected around the old viaduct spur by the railway bridge in Selly Oak. Anyone any idea what this is for yet? They also appear to be clearing the old builders site it's next to, at least there are piles of re-enforced concrete that have been broken up that I don't believe I've seen before.

Edit: I've added it to this thread as this is part of the land that will be re-developed under the application.
timearp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 05:16 PM   #25
sefton66

I guess clearance works could have started, like with the MG Rover site demolition began years in advance of any plans even being produced, they know this will have to go eventually so may have started now I guess
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:27 AM   #26
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Whilst I'd like to see much more residential into the mix, they've come up with some sensible conclusions I think...

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:54 PM   #27
RN750

Apparently the B and Q is closing soon as well..
RN750 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:21 PM   #28
sefton66

Well there is an app to replace B&Q with 4-5 smaller units, probably want to get in before the new development takes all the interest
Old August 25th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #29
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 263

Worst traffic flow plan though - coming out of B&Q if you want to go right to Harborne you have to do the whole Chapel Lane triangle!!

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #30
sefton66

Worth renaming this thread "Former Birmingham Battery Site | Selly Oak | Life Sciences Campus & Retail Development" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
Think we have a slightly new proposal

http://sellyoak-regeneration.co.uk/index.php
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #31
brum2003

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66
Worth renaming this thread "Former Birmingham Battery Site | Selly Oak | Life Sciences Campus & Retail Development" ?
Notice how they have dropped the canal link
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #32
Route 435

Likes (Received): 2

Anyone know what is the red line drawn around the building, by the new bridge in the middle of this development?
Seems a massive surface car park for Sainsburys, too big imo, couldnt they have built an underground or basement car park?
It's a great location with the bonus canalside, hope the developers can make something a bit imaginative, especially as there will be a high proportion of young people using the area
Route 435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #33
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

That could be the electricity sub-station?? I know they need to remove the overhead cables and pylons to send it underground.

Old December 17th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #34
sefton66

I still think they need to integrate this new retail site with the current one, can see people moving between the two by car creating more traffic that could easily be fixed by having a road link up the side of homebase into the car park or atleast some kind of pedestrian route directly between the two rather than all the way around
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #35
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 79

to my mind, with regard to design, this is a massive step backwards from the original proposal....
Old December 18th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #36
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

But who's seen the Campus visuals yet?? They might be fully glazed and look sensational!!

Old December 19th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #37
adamdalziel
Adam

Likes (Received): 6

If I was cynical I'd say the first proposal was just to soften opinion for this??
adamdalziel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #38
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 180

Oh well, that's a bit disappointing.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #39
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 96

Images for the latest scheme:

Spread está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #40
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

I quite like them. But you still see the overhead wires which I thought they were going to send underground!

Tags
birmingham