daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Sheffield Metro Area

Sheffield Metro Area For Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 30th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #1
snup

Likes (Received): 6

Sheffield Children's Hospital - New Wing

Sorry if this has been covered in another thread already.

"Avanti Architects has finally been named as the winner in the competition to design a £40 million extension to the Children’s Hospital, Sheffield

The practice’s ‘light and airy concept’ was chosen ahead of schemes by BDP, HKS Architects, Llewelyn Davies Yeang, Swanke Hayden Connell Architects and a joint bid by Capita Symonds with HLM Architects.

A victor had been expected to be named in January after the designs went on anonymous display. However, the decision was delayed until a full business case was approved.

Building work could start in spring next year with completion planned for spring 2015."

Link here:

snup no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 30th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #2
hella good
PUT YOUR PAWS UP

Likes (Received): 333

Glad a winner has finally been chosen. I quite like the one they've decided on, its not tremendously unusual but i like that really.

As long as the brickwork is done well the exterior should look fairly classy.

Please do not use, modify or redistribute any of my photography or artwork without my express permission
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:32 AM   #3
DanLondon

Likes (Received): 4

Agree it looks pretty good - but they must use good bricks! The current entrance is pretty awful - and this will be a welcome addition.
DanLondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #4
muddycoffee
E = MC²

Likes (Received): 32

I know that there is mention of priority parking, but It appears to me that this wing could reduce the few parking spaces even further.
With the Provision of 72 extra beds, surely this will mean that opportunities for patients from a wider area to use the hospital. Where are the extra 70 cars going to go ?
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Frogged

Likes (Received): 1

Anyone seen this?

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=19628

Peter Ustinov

www.flickr.com/photos/frogged
Frogged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:39 PM   #6
AdamBlade
@codaplanning

Likes (Received): 22

Awful
AdamBlade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Superfly
Who'd sit in THAT chair..

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogged View Post
Anyone seen this?
One of the other, now rejected designs...?
Superfly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Fozberg

Likes (Received): 0

New meets old to create a 'Whole'. ??????
Fozberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #9
AdamBlade
@codaplanning

Likes (Received): 22

The application is in...

http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk...=MCRRMNNYFY000
AdamBlade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #10
hella good
PUT YOUR PAWS UP

Likes (Received): 333

Its not too bad really, i think the best feature is the latticing/patterns in the brickwork. It has definitely got 50s/60s elements about it but if the quality is good then it will be smart.

Please do not use, modify or redistribute any of my photography or artwork without my express permission
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #11
RichJay

Likes (Received): 15

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/...ital-1-5371370

Quote:
Parking tonic hope for Sheffield hospital

PROPOSALS for a £40m wing for Sheffield Children’s Hospital are in line for council approval next week, raising hopes of easing traffic and parking congestion as well as radically creating a ‘world-class’ environment.

Health trust managers look like being given the all-clear to press ahead with a three and four-storey extension, including a new ward block with 72 en-suite bedrooms.

Council officers are praising a “sensitive” design that fits in with the historic buildings that will remain.

They also believe that the redevelopment will help ease some of the traffic and parking problems that have plagued the hospital for years.

A basement car park is due to replace existing surface-level parking spaces, with a new access off Clarkson Street that will be signed ‘left in’ and ‘left out’.

At present, the main entrance to the hospital is off the side street, Durham Road, which leads to “a chaotic situation” with vehicles manoeuvring to reach a drop off point, the car park and hospital servicing areas, says a council report.

Proposed changes will improve visibility for drivers, prevent blockages and improve road safety, it is claimed.

Because medical facilities are being modernised rather than expanded, no extra traffic is envisaged

In the longer term, the University of Sheffield is preparing a scheme for a multi-storey car park to replace the car park on the opposite side of Clarkson Street, which could be also used by visitors to the Children’s Hospital.

Councillors are expected on Monday to approve the details of the whole hospital revamp, which has been designed by architectural company Avanti, which won a design competition.

The extension will front on to Clarkson Street, creating a new a new main entrance, a new outpatients’ department, and a garden for patients and visitors above the car park. There will be a circular play tower from floor to ceiling in the main reception.

The council report says the scheme is “a very well thought through contemporary addition” to the hospital, which has seen piecemeal and unco-ordinated development for many years. Changes are being made “with minimal harm to the neighbouring conservation area”.

A £10m community appeal aims to help pay for the new wing. The remaining £30m is due to come from government and private sources.
RichJay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #12
BlueBelge

Good news. That rejected design posted by Frogged reminds me a lot of the design for the new cinema block on The Moor.
BlueBelge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #13
matt99

I wonder when this multi-storey car park opposite will be taken forward? The existing car park and outsized uni building are a bit of a blight so it would be good to see at least the car park go, if not the monster building as well.
matt99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #14
BlueBelge

I doubt the building will go. From what I've seen of it the inside is actually quite modern, and the lower levels already have valuable car parking space. Trying to get a Category A or B permit is nearly impossible (and extortionate), and it's every man for himself when it comes to 8am and trying to find a Cat. C space.
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #15
matt99

Sounds reasonable. At least a (hopefully) decent multi-storey next to it would do something to balance out the size and mask its ugliness.
matt99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #16
BlueBelge

Scaffolding has gone up around the existing entrance on Durham Lane, and there's a digger parked up around the side. Hopefully we'll see some movement soon.

Bladerunner liked this post
Old May 24th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #17
RichJay

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt99 View Post
I wonder when this multi-storey car park opposite will be taken forward? The existing car park and outsized uni building are a bit of a blight so it would be good to see at least the car park go, if not the monster building as well.
There has been a planning application submitted for a multi-story car park on Glossop Road/Durham Road

http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk...=MN4WW2NYFY000
RichJay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #18
ThomasB443
Silence Will Fall

Likes (Received): 4

The red brick and the what looks like wood should look well together, pretty decent design in my opinion
Millenium Tower
My Projects and Designs

"They'll never expect three people to attack 12,000 Dalek battleships. Cos we'd be killed instantly. So it would be a fairly short suprise. Forget suprise."
ThomasB443 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #19
slother
Heart of tofu

Likes (Received): 27

Looks good! Is that wood, metal or plastic? (Order of preference!)
slother no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #20
BlueBelge

It's bronze coloured aluminium. Says so in 'north/west elevations' doc with the planning app.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: