daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #61
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
It is interesting that you use the words "Taliban", "Jihad", ... to describe what you want to say, but the problem is that you yourself think like the Taliban, ornamentation means adding beauty to something, of course you can have different opinion or taste about the ornamentation, but you can't say no beauty should be added to a modern building! Taliban don't say classical anastole is better than modern fashion hairstyle or vice versa but they say people should not adorn themselves at all.
Clearly you didn't get it, I never said they shouldn't. Others, however, think that ornamentation must always be included, and that the ones who don't want it are freaks. I think beauty is elegant, clean lines and simplicity. Beauty to others might be decorations, but to me, they are over-the-top and can look too smothering, but I don't think they are freaks. Only the people who call others such names for their tastes are freaks.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #62
Cyrus
Persian King of Kings

Likes (Received): 1898

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Clearly you didn't get it, I never said they shouldn't. Others, however, think that ornamentation must always be included, and that the ones who don't want it are freaks. I think beauty is elegant, clean lines and simplicity. Beauty to others might be decorations, but to me, they are over-the-top and can look too smothering, but I don't think they are freaks. Only the people who call others such names for their tastes are freaks.
I believe in modern times these kinds of thoughts have been imposed on us becuase of our mechanical lifestyle, it is true that we have many more important things to do than working on the details but it can't change the fact that we always enjoy not only the whole, but also the details.

All Empires For History Lovers!
Founder and Administrator

socrates#1fan liked this post
Cyrus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #63
ThatOneGuy

But that's not what I'm saying. My only problem is people calling others 'freaks' for their tastes.

And btw it's not that details 'aren't important' it's just that, in my opinion, no details and simplicity looks better than overly-crafted buildings.

Highcliff liked this post
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #64
Cyrus
Persian King of Kings

Likes (Received): 1898

Quote:
But that's not what I'm saying. My only problem is people calling others 'freaks' for their tastes.

And btw it's not that details 'aren't important' it's just that, in my opinion, no details and simplicity looks better than overly-crafted buildings.
I don't know what you call people who see no difference between a simple stone and a stony statue, people like Taliban who have no respect for art and destroy these beauties, of course it can be said it is their tastes!

All Empires For History Lovers!
Founder and Administrator
Cyrus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #65
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

those are hideous

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #66
ThatOneGuy

I don't care what you think of them. I only care that you stop calling others freaks for their tastes. This isn't the first time I've seen you do it. Even others are doing the same thing, it's disgusting.
@Cyrus I see anybody who insults or hurts people for their personal tastes as Taliban. Even if a modernist is calling someone a freak for liking ornamentation, he is like the Taliban. It doesn't matter.
Old December 28th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #67
CNB30

I used that word ONCE on ONE thread a while ago.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #68
tanklv

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF221 View Post

That's your opinion.
Nobody goes to Paris to go for modernism or just blank walls. Similarly, I'm sure the great majority of people who go to the Louvre go to see classical art, with all its rich ornamentation.

YES! Yes it is their opinion - just as yours is your opinion, which is not more valid than anyone elses. None is "better" than the other.

Now describe what defines a beautiful/ideal man or woman - I'm sure you'll get total agreement from EVERYONE...
tanklv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #69
tanklv

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
And the architecture taliban strikes again.
That's just YOUR opinion.

Oh, when will everyone see that MY OPINION, and ONLY My Opinion counts, and all others are ignorant twaddle at best...
tanklv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #70
tikiturf

Likes (Received): 46

image hosted on flickr

Versailles 74 par shogunangel, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Versailles 68 par shogunangel, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Versailles. par Only Tradition, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Palace of Versailles par dbonny, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Versailles par koffiejunkie, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Versailles par Everyman Complex, sur Flickr
tikiturf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #71
mapece

Likes (Received): 529

somanathapur temple
image hosted on flickr

sagrada familia (I know it's obvious, but it's impossible to not consider it)

and talking of louis sullivan

by the way, Adolf Loos produced such hideous sad things

If one sacrifices beauty on the altar of pure function, he's not considering that life is not just surviving, and beauty has a big part in life (or it should have).

Last edited by mapece; May 20th, 2013 at 02:18 AM.
mapece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #72
ThatOneGuy

It's amazing how many classicists believe that modern architecture is based on function only.
It's not. It's based on the appreciation of clean forms and lines instead of that smothering ornamentation like in the upper pictures. Great function is just an appealing feature such a design creates.

I don't have anything against classical architecture, but the propaganda the classisicts write against modernism is amazing.

Answering the thread question, my favourite ornamentation is the tre/quatre-foil
Old May 20th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #73
CNB30

Quote:
It's amazing how many classicists believe that modern architecture is based on function only.
It's not. It's based on the appreciation of clean forms and lines instead of that smothering ornamentation like in the upper pictures. Great function is just an appealing feature such a design creates.

I don't have anything against classical architecture, but the propaganda the classisicts write against modernism is amazing.

Answering the thread question, my favourite ornamentation is the tre/quatre-foil
It is also sad how many modernists think that ornamentation on a building is always restricted to certain classical/Gothic types and sizes

Feel The Bern #2016
Old May 20th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #74
CNB30

I am also appalled by the way that the blandness of blank sides in modernism is referred to as "clean", as if making a side appear interesting, and worth looking at made it less perfect, instead of the other way around.

Feel The Bern #2016

socrates#1fan liked this post
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:02 AM   #75
ThatOneGuy

Actually, if a building has detail, it should do it in a refined manner, like classical buildings do. Unless a new style is invented that would fit in seamlessly with architecture from a long time ago, details should stick to gothic and art deco and so on.
Architecture is about looking good, it's not limited to being 'interesting'. Modernist and classical architecture can do this.

This is modernism with superficial detail (postmodernism). Would anybody really want this? Whacky gehry-style architecture of the 2000s is becoming dated now, and is being replaced with more clean elegance of simple forms.

Highcliff, Brunarino liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; May 20th, 2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:25 PM   #76
mapece

Likes (Received): 529

Quote:

I don't consider myself a classicist, actually my favorite architecture is that of the twentieth century and I like a lot of decidedly modern buildings. But to me that kind of white boxes above that Loos (or Le Corbusier and other modernists) did is just absolutely ugly.
mapece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:52 PM   #77
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
That is also a type of ornamentation, I think everyone likes symmetry and harmony, for this reason a flower is beautiful:

Nature is itself quite ornate.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:56 PM   #78
socrates#1fan

To me the best ornamentation is BALANCED. Beautiful, intricately detailed in all of the right places while also allowing blank space.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:58 PM   #79
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
I am also appalled by the way that the blandness of blank sides in modernism is referred to as "clean", as if making a side appear interesting, and worth looking at made it less perfect, instead of the other way around.
I've always thought of calling it "clean" being like calling a body stripped down to the bones "clean".

I don't find it clean, I just find it deprived (starving even).

CNB30 liked this post
Old May 24th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #80
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

one good example
jo„o domingues de araujo building in s„o paulo

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/2052165
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote