daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #1
patriciagall

Likes (Received): 0

Architectural association school of architecture

Hat do you know about this university?
patriciagall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #2
urbanrecycle
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

What we can say abou this university...

I am an architect graduated in Brazil and all my academic exercises was looking to the students of AA projects, not because my professors said to look the works, but i wanted to learn about contemporary architecture made by that university. All the DRL pavillions, and the parametric studies, the day and day life oif the students.
urbanrecycle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
patriciagall

I would like to attend this university, but I would like to know if it is a good university and what are they interested in, regardin the portofolio. If you know that they would like to see more artistic drawing or more technical ones.
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #4
patriciagall

Is there someone who attended or attends this school or just applyed?
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Likes (Received): 7108

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciagall View Post
Is there someone who attended or attends this school or just applyed?
I've earned by Post-Graduate Diplomas and Masters Degree from this school.
It's the oldest architecture school in Britain. About 350 years old

http://www.aaschool.ac.uk/

Don Pacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #6
tanklv

Likes (Received): 11

I attended the "intermediate school" in 1973/74 as part if my "study abroad" year for Syracuse University School of Architecture.

Great experience. One of the best years I've spent - went on to work for a very prestegious architecural firm on my off-hours and the following summer. Almost didn't leave - but I wanted to finish my degree at SU. And I found myself spending more and more time at the firm and less and less time at the AA. London was a fantastic place to study.

The school was fantastic. All of the instructors were practicing Architects who would "donate" their time to teach. We had some classes at the University of London, which is only a couple blocks away. And the British Museum is a few blocks in another direction. Hard to pull myself away even after classes. The pace of the education was up to the student with the advise of the instructors - if you wanted/could do the beginning or intermediate or diploma "schools" in two years or four - it was up to you - no "shame" or otherwise attached to it. The usual was 2 each for beginning (I forgot what it was called) and intermediate. I think the diploma school was one year.

Met many great persons from all over Europe, the Carribean and elsewhere.

My SU roommate followed me the next year and he didn't enjoy it as much as me - he hung around with mostly fellow Americans and didn't get out to mingle as much as me aparently - but he liked it very much as well, tho.

At the time, some of my instructors were "famous" Architects like Raynor Bannum and other well published Architects. Even was a student member of the RIBA at the time.

It was really accessible from a major intersection of tube stops, and within walking distance to Soho, the Royal Festival Hall and Covent Garden.

The facilities were a connected series of townhouses on Bedford Square (if I remember correctly) andI left, they had renovated the basement for a great restaurant and more studio spaces. Each studio had it's own budget for a class project and involved travel to great places - ours was to the midlands, others went to Bristol and Amsterdam (our project was "leisure facilities"). Besides the studios at Bedford Square, they also had some art studios, etc. at different buildings nearby, also.

It is also the only "public" as opposed to "private" Architectural School in the UK (the UK has the opposite meaning of "public/private" that the US does - so I might have the term wrong).

Hope this helps.

Good luck, and enjoy!
tanklv no está en línea   Reply With Quote