daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #101
Chitowner245

Likes (Received): 0

I know it appears that it won't be, but I hope this thing will be taller and better than trump, given the site. This is the best site imaginable to build a legendary skyscraper- imo of course. Great shot, Retrograde, BTW.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #102
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
May 16, 2008

No news, just a current picture of Wolf Point.
I am thinkin those folks in Riverbend having paid a fortune for their amazing river views aren't going to be so happy to see this happen... What a sucky way to loose property value.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #103
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Hey, if you move into such a unit in such a densely developed area and it overlooks a parking lot, EXPECT that someday, that parking lot is going to become a nice tall building.

Oh well....

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #104
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6535

great location for such a tall tower i think, can't wait to hear some news
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #105
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 906

3 towers, including one with 89 storey, on this site? they will have to be very thin. I fear, it's going to look overdeveloped and ridiculous in front of the apparel center.
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #106
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
3 towers, including one with 89 storey, on this site? they will have to be very thin. I fear, it's going to look overdeveloped and ridiculous in front of the apparel center.
There's quite a bit of land there. Here's a shot from a different vantage point taken in April.

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #107
fillbert

From what I heard on the CAF's river cruise, they are waiting for the Trump tower to hit its max height so they can build something bigger here.
fillbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #108
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

Hmm, well I would still like to see some designs.
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #109
richardsonhomebuyers

Likes (Received): 1

why would they wait till it is done to build bigger? They already know how tall it is going to be.
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #110
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

That picture makes the parking lot look good! :-p But what a waste of valuable land... I think any building there would be an improvement...it doesn't have to be ridiculously tall.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #111
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

No... You're correct that it's a valuable waste of land. But, it's location demands a stunning project.
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #112
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Akira- View Post
That picture makes the parking lot look good! :-p But what a waste of valuable land... I think any building there would be an improvement...it doesn't have to be ridiculously tall.
Yes it does....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeps View Post
No... You're correct that it's a valuable waste of land. But, it's location demands a stunning project.
Exactly.

Personally, I'd love to see and architectural competition for that sight. I know that Peilli is allegedly designing the towers, but I'd like to have more planning and something more stunning.

I'd like 2-towers instead of 3 to allow for more open space and to get much taller structures.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:54 AM   #113
Nat76

Likes (Received): 1

I definitely think the developer needs to take their time on this site and come up with something exceptional here. Another component I would like to see added is some sort of footbridge stretching west across the north branch.

Nothing bulky. Something thin and twisting like a Calatrava-style bridge would be an interesting contrast to the freight rail just north of the site. The land west of the river is rather disjointed due to all of the rail running through it, but development is going up over there as well. The area is just too isolated from downtown right now. It would be nice to link that up a bit better.
Nat76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #114
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeps View Post
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I respectfully disagree. Personally I think the location demands a stunning park. This special location that give the Chicago River its famous "Y" is a civic treasure. Given a choice, I'd put a park in place that measures up to the stature of the location and would be a center point along an extended river walk. Such a park would have some wonderful company in its setting, places that also enhance the water in front and the skyline behind it: Pittsubrgh's Golden Triangle and Manhattan's Battery Park.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #115
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Never really thought of how it could integrate into the riverwalk. Interesting. OK then, just one (really tall, spectacularly designed) tower, with plenty of public park on the east and south sides. Just as long as it helps to hide the hideous Sun-Times building.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #116
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
Never really thought of how it could integrate into the riverwalk. Interesting. OK then, just one (really tall, spectacularly designed) tower, with plenty of public park on the east and south sides. Just as long as it helps to hide the hideous Sun-Times building.
I'm all for that.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #117
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post

good one, Flub; that's one of those cases where you can have your cake and eat it. Height saves you room on the ground and gives you a magnificent backdrop.

Wolf Point is an iconic site for Chicago, not only because of its location where the three branches meet and the views that make that site so enticing, but due to its role in the early history of Chicago. It is a shame that the city did not have access to the waterfront portion of this real estate ages ago.

There is something that is very special that we could get from a park at Wolf Point that Chicago oddly does not have but other cities do: a small park of importance in the core of the city. In most cases (i.e. NY's Union Sq, SF's Union Sq, Boston Commons, etc.), it really is a space surrounded by the city's towers. In other cases, like I mentioned above, it is related to the adjoining waters as in Pgh's Golden Triangle and NY's Battery Park.

Chicago has no truly special small parks as such (and obviously I must be including Millennium Park as part of Grant Park in my argument). Such a park can be a gem in how it utilizes small space for great success and provides easy access to the high rises that surround it.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #118
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

edge, I completely agree with you, but I think there would be a problem with accessability. Unless a bridge or 2 is built connecting that spot with the loop and west side, I don't think it would work (although the Franklin bridge is there). The river walk is also key. I'd love to see some kind of design that pays respect to the history of that spot.

It was on that spot our city was founded (in the Fort Dearborn days). I say bring back the Sauganash Hotel!
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #119
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
good one, Flub; that's one of those cases where you can have your cake and eat it. Height saves you room on the ground and gives you a magnificent backdrop.

Wolf Point is an iconic site for Chicago, not only because of its location where the three branches meet and the views that make that site so enticing, but due to its role in the early history of Chicago. It is a shame that the city did not have access to the waterfront portion of this real estate ages ago.

There is something that is very special that we could get from a park at Wolf Point that Chicago oddly does not have but other cities do: a small park of importance in the core of the city. In most cases (i.e. NY's Union Sq, SF's Union Sq, Boston Commons, etc.), it really is a space surrounded by the city's towers. In other cases, like I mentioned above, it is related to the adjoining waters as in Pgh's Golden Triangle and NY's Battery Park.

Chicago has no truly special small parks as such (and obviously I must be including Millennium Park as part of Grant Park in my argument). Such a park can be a gem in how it utilizes small space for great success and provides easy access to the high rises that surround it.
Tower plus park sounds like a winner. BTW does the park across from the Newberry Library qualify or is it too removed?
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:37 AM   #120
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumie View Post
BTW does the park across from the Newberry Library qualify or is it too removed?
From someone who lives in the area, I'd say its a good example, but a little far off than what I think edgs is talking about. I think its an excellent location to draw residents of the downtown area. We know we'll at least get some type of park/public space. that is a law on the river now correct?

Tags
350 n. orleans st., chicago, wolf point, wolf point east, wolf point west