daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #121
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumie View Post
Tower plus park sounds like a winner. BTW does the park across from the Newberry Library qualify or is it too removed?
oh, I thought about it (and Water Tower Sq, too), but as nice as both are, they don't have blockbuster written all over them. Water Tower is too small and Newberry is too residential.

cbotnyse, I would think that the Franklin-Orleans bridge would work well for Loop access.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #122
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat76 View Post
I definitely think the developer needs to take their time on this site and come up with something exceptional here. Another component I would like to see added is some sort of footbridge stretching west across the north branch.

Nothing bulky. Something thin and twisting like a Calatrava-style bridge would be an interesting contrast to the freight rail just north of the site. The land west of the river is rather disjointed due to all of the rail running through it, but development is going up over there as well. The area is just too isolated from downtown right now. It would be nice to link that up a bit better.
there's no place to connect it to tje other side. it would have to do diagonally southwest-northeast. you have Fulton House and Riverbend directly across the way. Also, it would have to have the same clearance as all the other bridges to allow clearance of barges, commercial and private boats.

Just have them restore/reactivate the railroad bridge utilizing light rail as well as a pedestrain corssing. That bridge would also have to be raised because of it's lack of clearance.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #123
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I respectfully disagree. Personally I think the location demands a stunning park. This special location that give the Chicago River its famous "Y" is a civic treasure. Given a choice, I'd put a park in place that measures up to the stature of the location and would be a center point along an extended river walk. Such a park would have some wonderful company in its setting, places that also enhance the water in front and the skyline behind it: Pittsubrgh's Golden Triangle and Manhattan's Battery Park.
You're right.

You're in the minority.

I'd only go along with a park covering the entire site if the Apparel Mart were demolished and a mega-tall tower were built in its place.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:24 AM   #124
Nat76

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
there's no place to connect it to tje other side. it would have to do diagonally southwest-northeast. you have Fulton House and Riverbend directly across the way. Also, it would have to have the same clearance as all the other bridges to allow clearance of barges, commercial and private boats.

Just have them restore/reactivate the railroad bridge utilizing light rail as well as a pedestrain corssing. That bridge would also have to be raised because of it's lack of clearance.
I disagree here. There are two options for pedestrian bridges:

1) extend w. mart drive west over the river on the north side of the Wolf Pt. site
2) run a bridge diagonally southwest from the point.

The reason I cited Calatrava was that he is known for two things when it comes to bridges. The first being thin, graceful curving lines that don't obstruct views of the skyline. The second is his incredible appreciation for bridges including complex physics, cantilevered sections, etc. Realistically, either of those two routes would work, and someone could easily engineer a boat-friendly solution. This could include a center span that actually restracts toward land on either side. It could also include a two spans that meet in the middle with the ability to both turn 90 degrees clock or counter clock when something of significant height needs to come through.

The only remaining requirement is that the bridge span would need to be a good 15-20 feet above the water to eliminate the need to raise for barges. That's not a problem.
Nat76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:50 AM   #125
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 91

Is this project still alive at all? I'd love to have at last two more supertalls up for the 2016 olympics. There couldn't be a better place in downtown to put one, either.
Badgers77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:17 AM   #126
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

It's very much alive.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM   #127
Sandeman
everything's looking up

Likes (Received): 1

[Dr. Frankenstien] "IT'S ALIVE!!!" [Dr. Frankenstien]

nothing going on here with this... it must be a zombie
Sandeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:48 PM   #128
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

What is the status of this project now?
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #129
ChicagoismynewBlog

Likes (Received): 0

I'm sure the status for Wolf Point is non-existent right about now...too bad.

ChicagoismynewBlog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #130
Tylow

Likes (Received): 26

Tylow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #131
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

I'm not sure that a supertall skyscraper should be put on the site of Wolf Point. Maybe if the Merchandise Mart buildings weren't so short. There can be pros and cons to any proposal on Wolf Point. If I had a plan for Wolf Point, I would put a 100-150 m tower with a floor area of no less than a million square feet on that site.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #132
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

^ I'll have it match the LaSelle building's height or mare slightly taller. they can go for a supertall when the west loop finally decides to expand....

Since you bumped this do u know anything new about it? still proposed? on hold? anything?...
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #133
secondcity1
less is more

Likes (Received): 10

Kennedys envision 3-tower development along Chicago River

http://www.suntimes.com/business/102...ago-river.html
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #134
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

3 60 story towers? I'm down with that!
Old February 12th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #135
Reinsdorf Sucks
Seven Costanza

Likes (Received): 4

Taller!
Reinsdorf Sucks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #136
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

No supertalls are planned at the site? Cmon this is Chicago!
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #137
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

I heard somewhere that they are announcing plans in april, or they are proposing it basically.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #138
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Here we go, this is about get real.

From Ald. Reilly

Quote:
I am writing to invite you to join me at a public presentation regarding a proposed development for the site located at 350 N. Orleans Street, commonly referred to as "Wolf Point."

Given the prominence of this property and the number of inquiries my office has received about the future development of this site, I have directed Hines Development Corporation and their team to start our community review process early, even before they take the initial step of filing a formal application with the City of Chicago. At this first community meeting, the Hines Development Team will present their proposed plan for the site; discuss their Traffic Study (commissioned at my request); and answer your questions about the Proposal.

The Applicant (Hines) has submitted a proposal for the development of three towers at this site, with Site "A" (West Tower) proposed as a residential, 525 foot tall structure containing 510 units and 200 parking stalls; Site "B" (South Tower) proposed as a 900 foot tall, mixed use structure containing 600 units and 885 parking stalls; and Site "C" (East Tower) proposed as a 750 foot tall, mixed use structure containing 200 parking stalls.

WHAT: 350 North Orleans (former Wolf Point site) Development Project

WHO: Hosted by Alderman Brendan Reilly, the River North Residents

Association (RNRA) and the Fulton River District Association (FRDA)

WHEN: Tuesday, May 29th at 5:30 P.M.

WHERE: Holiday Inn, 350 West Mart Center Drive - Wolf Point Ballroom

As you know, I make it a top priority to provide an open and transparent community review of all local development proposals. I hope you can join the RNRA, FRDA and me to engage in a direct dialogue with the Development Team to gain a better understanding of this proposal, share comments or concerns and receive answers to any questions you may have.
That is right, a 900 footer, a 750 footer, and 525 footer, and a meeting on the 29th of May, and the Kennedy's are behind this, time to get excited!
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:33 AM   #139
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

CHICAGO | Wolf Point | 900ft | 80 fl | 750ft | 60 fl | 525ft | 50 fl | Pro

Location: Wolf Point (confluence of South, North, and Main Branches of the Chicago River)
Neighborhood: Fulton River District
Architect: Cesar Pelli & Associates Architects
Developer: Hines Interests LP

West Tower - 160 meters
South Tower- 274 meters
East Tower - 228 meters

The Kennedy family started planning this complex in 2007, but things have started to get serious just this year. They are partnering with the famous architect Cesar Pelli and the major firm of Hines Interests. Big news came in today, that shows that plans are finally moving forward.

From Ald. Reilly

Quote:
I am writing to invite you to join me at a public presentation regarding a proposed development for the site located at 350 N. Orleans Street, commonly referred to as "Wolf Point."

Given the prominence of this property and the number of inquiries my office has received about the future development of this site, I have directed Hines Development Corporation and their team to start our community review process early, even before they take the initial step of filing a formal application with the City of Chicago. At this first community meeting, the Hines Development Team will present their proposed plan for the site; discuss their Traffic Study (commissioned at my request); and answer your questions about the Proposal.

The Applicant (Hines) has submitted a proposal for the development of three towers at this site, with Site "A" (West Tower) proposed as a residential, 525 foot tall structure containing 510 units and 200 parking stalls; Site "B" (South Tower) proposed as a 900 foot tall, mixed use structure containing 600 units and 885 parking stalls; and Site "C" (East Tower) proposed as a 750 foot tall, mixed use structure containing 200 parking stalls.

WHAT: 350 North Orleans (former Wolf Point site) Development Project

WHO: Hosted by Alderman Brendan Reilly, the River North Residents

Association (RNRA) and the Fulton River District Association (FRDA)

WHEN: Tuesday, May 29th at 5:30 P.M.

WHERE: Holiday Inn, 350 West Mart Center Drive - Wolf Point Ballroom

As you know, I make it a top priority to provide an open and transparent community review of all local development proposals. I hope you can join the RNRA, FRDA and me to engage in a direct dialogue with the Development Team to gain a better understanding of this proposal, share comments or concerns and receive answers to any questions you may have.
Also, thank i_am_hydrogen for discovering this.
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #140
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

Great news! Let's hope this one gets approved soon!

Tags
350 n. orleans st., chicago, wolf point, wolf point east, wolf point west