daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > 2D Drawings

2D Drawings Showcase for your skyscrapers, skylines and urban art done in photoshop, paint or on paper

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Rate my World Trade Center
10 59 81.94%
9 9 12.50%
8 3 4.17%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 14th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #1
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 55

World Trade Center, New York

To download World Trade Center model, please follow this link: http://skyscrapermodels.us/models/Wo...enter_NYC.html

Last edited by STR; September 4th, 2005 at 06:07 AM.
STR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 14th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #2
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Assembly Instructions for World Trade Center

Make sure to read each step before doing anything. I took me an hour to write this, trust me, no step is unecissary.

Need Materials: Cardstock, or any index-weight paper (greeting card or index card-type paper); Sharp scissors (or craft knife); white glue, glue stick (you should have both), a round toothpick (at least 2mm wide and about 5cm or longer), liquid paper (or white paint)

BASE

1.1 The following 7 steps must be done fairly quickly. Make sure all materials are ready before proceeding. The stack should be under weight within 2 minutes of start to minimalize warping. Do not rush though, this can also cause warping.

1.2 Take the sheet with the base printed on it (not to be confused with the Plaza), as well as two blank sheets of cardstock. Using glue stick, glue the first blank sheet to the back (unprinted) of the base.

1.3 Repeat with second blank sheet, glue it to the back of the first blank sheet.

1.4 Place stack on table,or any straight, level, stable surface. Place several large books on top to flatten.

1.5 Wait at least 30 minute before removing weight.

1.6 While the base is drying, cut out the plaza. Fold where indicated. Tabs marked with a "B" will be on the bottom of the completed piece.

1.7 The four strips that go with the plaza are stairs. Cut-out and foldthem so that one tab is under the plaza, the other is folded greater than 90* to fit under the stair section.

1.8 Glue them to the plaza, a stair should be located between Building 6 and Tower 1, Tower 1 and the Hotel, The hotel and Tower 2, and between Tower 2 and Building 4.

1.9 Cut out base when dry. Do NOT glue the plaza on yet. When dried the base should be firm and very sturdy.

1.10 Cut out the "C"-shaped piece. This will be used to shape the angled corners of the Twin Towers.

THE PLAZA BUILDINGS

2.1 Cut out the hotel pieces. Set aside the roofs for the Twin Towers.

2.2 Fold over the roof section. Fold all tabs.

2.3 Fold the vertical facade, on the medium grey lines, to fit the roof. Make note that part of the inner facade juts out. Glue where necissary, use small amounts of white glue on tabs.

2.4 Glue the hotel to the plaza piece where indicated, again with white glue.

2.5 While the Marriot is drying, cut out the two larger pieces of 6WTC, the US Customs house.

2.6 The remaining grey retangle is part of 6WTC's roof. To get the desired raised effect, use glue stick to attach a second sheet of cardstock to the back of the box. Wait at least 5 minutes to dry.

2.7 Fold over the roof of the upper facade of 6WTC (the mostly grey part, the mostly white part is the bottom cover). Fold the bottom section in, then fold it back to stay out of the way.

2.8 Fold the walls, on the black lines to match the top. Glue to the top.

2.9 Glue the raised grey boxpiece to the roof.

2.10 When dry glue the bottom cover to the wall sections. Let dry

2.11 Follow the steps above for the bottom facade.

2.12 When both sections are dry, glue the lower facade to the bottom side of the upper facade.

2.13 Glue 6WTC to its respective place on the plaza piece. Let dry.

2.14 Carefully glue the plaza to the base. Make sure everything lines up, especially near the footprints of the Twin Towers.

2.15 Repeat steps 2.5-13 for 4WTC, this time gluing the building directly to the base.

2.16 Reapeat again for 5WTC. Be careful and accurate. When building is complete, slide it srtaight down into its spot.

THE TWIN TOWERS

3.1 Cut out each Tower. Make note that one of the upper tabs in each of the towers has a slot in it. This will fit into a matching slot for the roof piece. Also make note of the blank patch at the bottom of each tower, this will later be glued to the plaza.

3.2 Note the light grey corners. These are separate faces, each twin tower should have 8 sides: four main faces and four corners. These should be angled 45 degrees relative to the main faces.

3.3 Fold all tabs on Tower 1. Then all vertical faces. Glue the vertical tab Straighten the tower as much as possible.

3.4 Making sure the blank spot on the side of the tower is pointed torward the plaza, glue Tower 1 to its place on the base. Make sure to glue the small white patch to the plaza, this greatly increases stability.

3.5 Taking Tower 1's roof (The one without the blue observation deck), use a small knife to put a small indentation in the white circle in the middle of the roof. This will allow for easier attachment of the antenna. It's okay if you dig a small hole in the roof, as long as it isn't huge.

3.6, slide it into the slotted tab in Tower 1. Glue in place.

3.7 Repeat steps 3.3,4,6 for Tower 2.

TOWER 7

4.1 Cut out the largest Tower 7 piece.

4.2 Fold as usual on the darkest lines. Don't mess with the roof yet.

4.3 Make note of the textured tabs on the south face of the tower. Fold these inward.

4.3 "W" fold the south portion of the roof, the part featuring the black glass.

4.4 Glue the roof tab to the south side of the vertical facade. Glue the c\vertical tab.

4.5 Fold the roof pieces and glue them to their respective spots.

4.6 Taking the tunnel overpass piece, wrap it around the toothpick, just to get the cylindrical shape. Glue the tab and let dry.

4.7 Glue the tunnel overpass to it space on Tower 7.

4.8 The remaining piece is the main over pass, fold the black section up. Glue it to the remaining white spot on Tower 7.

4.9 Glue Tower 7 to the base.

ANTENNA

5.1 using the black box on the 3WTC sheet, cut the round toothpick to the appropriate length.

5.2 Using liquid paper (I found this to be best, it dries quickly and doesn't flake or anything. However you may use any paint you desire, or have in you possesion.

5.3 Using a blob of white glue on one of its tips, attach the antenna to the indentation you made inthe middle of the roof of Tower 1.

5.4 Make sure the antenna doesn't tilt. When it stops trying to tip over, you can leave it to dry.

Congratulations! The model is now complete.

If you have any questions, problems, or if the images above do not appear clearly, feel free to PM or email me.

Last edited by STR; November 15th, 2004 at 12:49 AM.
Old November 15th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #3
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Cool

Is this made from paper, or is the paper cutouts used on card board as the sturdy support?

Also, can one use wood as the support & glue the cutouts on it? I'm seriously considering doing this. But instead of using cardboard, I'd like to try it with wood as the support.

-Daquan13.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #4
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

As it says in the instructions, it's cardstock. The stuff that greeting and business cards are made from. I don't mean cardboard, which can't fold easily.

I print directly on to the cardstock. Printing on to paper, then gluing the paper to the cardstock doesn't work. The paper will warp-or start to fall off- plus the whole sandwich doesn't fold easily or cut sharply. Durability isn't really an issue. I have cardstock only (no paper) models more than 2 years old that are as good as they day they were printed. As long as you don't sit on this, it'll last a long time.

You could try it with paper. It might work, but I've never tried it. The Twin Towers in this model are each 10 inches tall, so I would guess there would be problems with the paper being able to holdit self up.
Old November 17th, 2004, 09:22 AM   #5
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 12

OMG...thats amazing! but i'd never have the time & energy to do something like this.

Any chance you can mail me the paper cut-outs so that i can assemble it myself? j/k
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:32 AM   #6
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Thanks, it took me a week, two hours at a time to do this. Though that includes designing the parts as I went a long. It's easier than it looks. If one of you were to do it in one sitting, it would probably take 4 hours give or take an hour.

Also, My next project is Hong Kong's Bank of China Tower. I will also update my Sears Tower.

Last edited by STR; November 19th, 2004 at 07:27 AM.
Old November 20th, 2004, 03:39 AM   #7
james2390
Tribune Tower

Likes (Received): 12

That is amazing! Really cool, STR.

10/10
james2390 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 07:15 AM   #8
Izeklah

Quite amazing! 10/10.

I'll try and make it.
Izeklah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #9
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 890

STR your a legend !!!!! As someone who stood on top in 2000 on a world trip I would love to make this......... Thanks ! Regards from Australia.
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #10
612bv3

Likes (Received): 35

That's amazing! You did a wonderful job, I'm going to try to make it. I'm really amaze by your work. If I can go higher than a 10, I would.
Old November 21st, 2004, 09:07 AM   #11
emteeachque
bloop

Wow! you guys amaze me with the way you guys carry on with this idea!

keep up the good work.. someone please take over for me!
emteeachque no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:55 AM   #12
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Thanks for the positive comments. There's more to come.
Old November 27th, 2004, 07:47 PM   #13
sasha ITALIA
~ I T A L Y ~

do you have made this??!

incredible
sasha ITALIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 03:35 AM   #14
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

^Yeah that's mine too. That one takes over 6 hours to assemble. Becase they changed the Freedom Tower a few days after I started building, I never finished it.
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:02 AM   #15
Glick

I can't actually see the templates at all. I can only see 2 pictures of the completed towers and plaza, and a couple of red X's
Glick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:21 AM   #16
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Excellent work.

10/10
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #17
bastie77

Likes (Received):

It lookīs really great. I definitely want to build my own WTC.

However I also canīt see any templates anymore (saw the some days back).
Could you please check into this, as I canīt wait to lay foundation.
Old December 6th, 2004, 06:46 PM   #18
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

There's something wrong with ImageShack. I can't even access the page the images in question are on.

Anyone who wants the templates will have to PM or email me for the them.
Old December 7th, 2004, 02:11 AM   #19
Taufiq

10/10 Love how everything is so accurately proportioned.
Taufiq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2004, 05:42 AM   #20
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

WTC Update

I have updated the Twin Towers:

1WTC is now 2 meters taller than 2WTC, due to the fact two floors had heigher cielings. There is also an overall color improvement.

For those who want to update their models, use the following steps to remove the old Towers:

1) Gently rock the towers in (torwards the plaza) and out (away) for at least 1 minute. Make sure the base doesn't move while you're rocking the towers.

2) When the tower has lossened a bit, pull it up and away from the plaza. It should come off fairly easily.

3) Scrape-off any remaing glue.

4) Install the new tower model.

Have a merry Christmas!