daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:19 PM   #41
Ondro
Veteran of the meme war

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himmelwärts View Post

i don't know what u mean, most of the 'views' are for free in vienna.
Views from above. Only view of the city and skyline I know of for free is from Schoenbrunn palace and the hill above(I don't really know what its called, but there is the Lichtenstein castle on it, that range that goes from Danube to Graz... You surely know what I mean.) but that one is like 10km away from the city center and Schoenbrunn is pretty far too, plus, to visit the Schoenbrunn, it takes you at least one day because of its big gardens, ZOO and palace, for me, Schoenbrunn is almost not part of the city, its more like Versailles in Paris.

In Bratislava, there are spots where you can sit in a park, have a picnic and watch the whole city with its skyline and rush below you. The Castle Hill, Slavín, Koliba, Kobyla, Mountain Park... I don't know about places like this in Vienna and I know Vienna well enough. But the riverside is pretty romantic there, as I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cake On BBQ View Post
OMG, you do realize that most buildings in Paris are bland, ordinary Hausmann stuff right? Whereas Vienna is loaded with beautiful Baroque, Rococo and Viennese Secession buildings. Yeah, Paris is much more interesting, iconic and vibrant than Vienna but certainly not prettier than Vienna.
Yes, and so what? Vienna can't really compete with Paris, in my view, no way. I said you'd be offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderknabe View Post
The fact that you don't know any iconic symbol doesn't mean there isn't any.

When people say Bratislava, the people who know it at least a little bit, people who barely kows about it always remember this. A castle and the "UFO" bridge. It is an icon that can be recognized from far away, is outstanding and extraordinary. In Prague, there is St. Vitus Cathedral, in Moscow, there is Chram Vasilija Blazenogo, in Budapest the Castle and the Parliament, in Salzburg also the Castle, in Graz the Towerclock, in Paris the Eiffel Tower and so on, whereas in Vienna, when you look at the skyline, when you arrive to Vienna by a carm you can not really recognize the city unless you are in the center if you don't know it. All the extraordinary buildings are around the Ringstrasse and the Stephansdom is surrounded by narrow streets and does not really stands out in the skyline, nor in the city like the above. But it is not the only city in the world that does not have anything so extraordinary, so it is not a big deal.

I don't say Bratislava is better and more beautiful, I love Vienna. As I said, Bratislava has things that Vienna does not and Vienna has things Bratislava does not and by listing all of them would probably take a long time, I just reply to the guys that say Vienna has everything and "comparing her with Bratislava is an insult for her".
And, offcourse, I did not really mean that fat ugly ***** thing, it was just an example.

Last edited by Ondro; May 21st, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Ondro está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:44 PM   #42
Himmelwärts
Emotional User

Likes (Received): 6301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondro View Post
Views from above. Only view of the city and skyline I know of for free is from Schoenbrunn palace and the hill above(I don't really know what its called, but there is the Lichtenstein castle on it, that range that goes from Danube to Graz... You surely know what I mean.) but that one is like 10km away from the city center and Schoenbrunn is pretty far too, plus, to visit the Schoenbrunn, it takes you at least one day because of its big gardens, ZOO and palace, for me, Schoenbrunn is almost not part of the city, its more like Versailles in Paris.

schönbrunn is not like versailles, versailles is not in paris, schönbrunn is close to the citycenter.
wanna see the whole city for free?
get your ass on the kahlenberg, or go to the bahnorama (ok, its not for free but 2,50€ is not that much...)
wanna sit on the lawn, have a picknick and watch the skyline?
go to the donauinsel (danube island), 2 subway lines have stations on it.
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:54 PM   #43
Ondro
Veteran of the meme war

It is for me, because to fully appreciate the Schoenbrunn, you have to reserve the whole day for it although it is not that far from the center. And I think it is a compliment, to say you have something like this.
And as I said, Vienna has bigger, better and more beautiful riverfront, whats the deal?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:11 PM   #44
The Cake On BBQ
Moderatör

Likes (Received): 8532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondro View Post

In Bratislava, there are spots where you can sit in a park, have a picnic and watch the whole city with its skyline and rush below you. The Castle Hill, Slavín, Koliba, Kobyla, Mountain Park... I don't know about places like this in Vienna and I know Vienna well enough. But the riverside is pretty romantic there, as I said.

Yes, and so what? Vienna can't really compete with Paris, in my view, no way. I said you'd be offended.

I don't say Bratislava is better and more beautiful, I love Vienna. As I said, Bratislava has things that Vienna does not and Vienna has things Bratislava does not and by listing all of them would probably take a long time, I just reply to the guys that say Vienna has everything and "comparing her with Bratislava is an insult for her".
And, offcourse, I did not really mean that fat ugly ***** thing, it was just an example.
Why should I be offended? And I don't really get why you are offended by what I said either. It's not like it's something you can change so get over it already. We are just comparing cities and of course you can support which city you want/like, but you are reacting to my post in a childishly sensitive way.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:42 PM   #45
Ondro
Veteran of the meme war

Well, if you think so. The reason is, that I can't really explain why I like Paris more than Vienna. Well, it is bigger and it has wonderful romantic old historic riverfront of Seine that Vienna lacks, but that is only because the Danube is one of the widest and strongest rivers of Europe, with its 300m width it was very hard in the past to build a bridge, and the cannal in Vienna is just not like it. No, it is just the feeling of the city. It is not really about history of the buildings and architectural hogo-fogo, Vienna just feels more empty for me. Offcourse, in comparison to Paris only. Maybe my opinion would be different if it were not so close to where I live and maybe I got used to it. If I'd be making a chart of European cities by their historic centers, the only one that would be in the same "group" or "level" or "position" like Paris would be Rome, maybe Venezia. Then there would be a level for Firenze, Prague, Bern, Pisa and Vienna... and the last would be for Bratislava, Geneve, Ljubljana...(I list only the cities I've been to and I DONT order them). The three groups can be more or less compared.
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:40 PM   #46
CHLayson
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

VIENNA FOR SURE
CHLayson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #47
augmentedreality

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLayson View Post
VIENNA FOR SURE
Hrvatski Forum @ Beč - Vienna - Wien
Reports and tours from user's journeys - tourists welcome!
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...65897&page=100
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...65897&page=102

pumpikatze liked this post

Last edited by augmentedreality; February 14th, 2014 at 09:44 PM.
augmentedreality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #48
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7547

Vienna for sure, although when it comes to food I prefer restaurants in downtown Bratislava for their quality and prices.
Old February 14th, 2014, 05:38 AM   #49
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Both are nice.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #50
Blandine Forberg

Likes (Received): 90

Both are interesting and worthwhile. For just one day I vote for Bratislava. Vienna is a lot bigger and needs notably more time than just one single day even scratch its surface. For a first time visit I'd recommend 4-5 days minimum.
Blandine Forberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #51
dbk

Likes (Received): 131

Guys try to not to compare the incomparable.
1st the cities are different in size so, it will be ok if the sizes will be close by couple couple hundred thousand, but not if the city is (almost) 4 times bigger!
2nd Bratislava was 'hurt' by evil soviet architecture unlike Vienna.
3rd it is just your own taste. Some ppl like bigger cities some smaller like Bratislava [actually in size of EU cities Bratislava i think is a big city].
In my own opinion I like Vienna more because of architecture and the size [i feel good in a big cities] but if i would compare it to NYC i will definitely chose NYC i love big cities and modern architecture with skyscrapers
You see? There is no point of such of comparissnes. It simply depends of the ppl personal taste. You can compare economic the quality of architecture, infrastructure even standards of living but not a thing like city vs city.

Take care
dbk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #52
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

This is not a fair comparison at all. Vienna is one of the big 7 Imperial European Capitals (alongside Berlin, London, Madrid, Paris, Rome and Saint Petersburg). Comparing it to Bratislava is like comparing New York to York

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #53
pumpikatze
Pichichi de la liga

Likes (Received): 637

My suggestion: Visit both and use the Twin City Liner to travel from one to the other.
They are definitely both worth a visit.
The more accurate question should be: WHEN should someone visit someone these cities?
Easy answer: In summer.

Vienna, Vienna
pumpikatze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #54
dbk

I totally agree, visit both and enjoy them as much as you can. Both are beautyfull and so different from each others.
and BTW i like to travel on spring and atumn. When the cities are less crowded by tourists and the prices i think are better
And I think that the views are better also! Spring - blooming plants and Fall - orange-yellow leafs.
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #55
pumpikatze
Pichichi de la liga

Likes (Received): 637

That´s correct, less tourist crowds are always a pro - but at least for Vienna I would say there´s much more to see and experience in summer than in any other season.
Vienna, Vienna
pumpikatze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #56
Name user 1
user1

Likes (Received): 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
This is not a fair comparison at all. Vienna is one of the big 7 Imperial European Capitals (alongside Berlin, London, Madrid, Paris, Rome and Saint Petersburg). Comparing it to Bratislava is like comparing New York to York
true ...

but not forget that for 300 years was Bratislava Coronation City of the Austrian - Hungarian Kings and monarch Maria Theresa was crowned there
Name user 1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #57
dbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpikatze View Post
That´s correct, less tourist crowds are always a pro - but at least for Vienna I would say there´s much more to see and experience in summer than in any other season.
Like everywhere there are some events and atractions that appears only on climax of the season. What are those in Vienna?

Because i think all the palaces and museums are open like in the season but shorter and some days could be close. Just those smaller places might be closed i suppose. I am not local so I do not know those things.

Tags
vienna, wien