daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:29 PM   #341
Nikonov_Ivan
Registered User
 
Nikonov_Ivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Riga
Posts: 2,261
Likes (Received): 704

Well, i think that people come to the EXPO no to drink, party, kiss and etc But your argument is rather reasonable and fair
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:34 PM   #342
Frozt
Architect aspirant
 
Frozt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dubai & London
Posts: 211
Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by malegi View Post
São Paulo, the most important city in the southern hemisphere and in Latin America should win.

Dubai is a disneyworld for rich adults and a little America's dream for asian and african people. Money isn't everything, oil people.
Precisely, oil is not the source of your money, it is because of tourism ...
Oil is only 6% of their money ...
__________________
Looking from the future
Frozt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:41 PM   #343
opusdei
Registered User
 
opusdei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Curitiba - Brasil
Posts: 184
Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
Well, i think that people come to the EXPO no to drink, party, kiss and etc But your argument is rather reasonable and fair
Of course that is not the main reason for the Expo. But everyone likes to have fun
opusdei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:54 PM   #344
Nikonov_Ivan
Registered User
 
Nikonov_Ivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Riga
Posts: 2,261
Likes (Received): 704

Maybe UAE will improve their laws by 2020?
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:02 AM   #345
malegi
Registered User
 
malegi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SP
Posts: 13,005
Likes (Received): 4611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
Precisely, oil is not the source of your money, it is because of tourism ...
Oil is only 6% of their money ...
Who has built it? Tourism money also?
__________________
Imagine there's no heaven.. (John Lennon)
malegi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:08 AM   #346
malegi
Registered User
 
malegi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SP
Posts: 13,005
Likes (Received): 4611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
Malegi,So, you say that Sao Paulo is the most imortant in SH? So, according to the different ratings, Dubai is Alfa+ city and Sao Paulo is just Alfa city. Dubai has 9 position and Sao Paulo has 14. Sao Paulo is great city, but i think that Dubai is more awesome. Also, as some people have already said here, Dubai has better idea of the expo 2020 then Sao Paulo.
Dubai is in the NH, not in the SM.
__________________
Imagine there's no heaven.. (John Lennon)
malegi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:11 AM   #347
Frozt
Architect aspirant
 
Frozt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dubai & London
Posts: 211
Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by malegi View Post
Who has built it? Tourism money also?
No. They had a lot of money before, and the new sheik decided to use it for building and produce tourism.
__________________
Looking from the future
Frozt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:18 AM   #348
malegi
Registered User
 
malegi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SP
Posts: 13,005
Likes (Received): 4611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
No. They had a lot of money before, and the new sheik decided to use it for building and produce tourism.
It means oil money. That's why I put this "expresion" before.
__________________
Imagine there's no heaven.. (John Lennon)
malegi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:21 AM   #349
opusdei
Registered User
 
opusdei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Curitiba - Brasil
Posts: 184
Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
Maybe UAE will improve their laws by 2020?
I hope

Last edited by opusdei; April 23rd, 2013 at 02:25 AM.
opusdei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:25 AM   #350
juan.83
Registered User
 
juan.83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,306
Likes (Received): 611

Definitely Sao Paulo should win
__________________

malegi liked this post
juan.83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:38 AM   #351
OrlandoBragaJr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Likes (Received): 19

Dubai looks like a great city, but it seems like something is missing. Even in their project. I don't see an interesting Expo with the theme they developed. At least not when comparing to the other cities. It's a very good and expensive project. But that doesn't mean is the best.
Also, São Paulo is consistently being confirmed as an Alpha City for the World and its importance for the American continent should not be neglected. South America never had opportunity to show off to the World its qualities the way we're having now, so for me this EXPO would increase our positive imagine in the world. Even though we are not as crazy-rich as the "masters of oil" from UAE.
OrlandoBragaJr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:45 AM   #352
FelipeMacedo
Registered User
 
FelipeMacedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: São Bernardo do Campo
Posts: 3,126
Likes (Received): 6064

My opinion: Dubai is a great city, with excellent infra-structure, many attractions that bring tourists from all over the world, and for those reasons, the Expo wouldn't bring much more improvements to the city (long-term).
São Paulo, on the other hand, is a very rich city, but still has the potential to go further ahead. The city itself doesn't bring many tourists (most of them are business people), and the Expo would be an opportunity to show the world the best that the city and the whole country have to offer. Besides that, thousands of poor people who live around the Expo area will be benefited with social programs, and many other infra-structutre projects will be done, bringing a long legacy for the city and for the country. That's why São Paulo should win.
FelipeMacedo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:53 AM   #353
OrlandoBragaJr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Likes (Received): 19

I agre with you FelipeMacedo. I'm a Tourism Professional, and with all its greatness SP is still shy on leisure tourists. And that's not because we don't have good equipments to offer (we're considered for several famous newspapers as an important Cultural Capital in the American Continent) but among other reasons, because the government in the past didn't invest in promoting a 'fun' imagine of the city. What they wanted was money, and business travelers bring exactly that!
With the World Cup and The EXPO 2020, we'll start to advance into this sector of the industry, upgrading the life of the community itself. And then we get back to the main thing: the idea of EXPO is related to exactly this. People from several different places getting together to accomplish things, to keep developing projects for a better life and environment, keeping evolving as human beings.
Now if someone tells me that this is not important and not a good theme for an EXPO... I'm sorry, but disagree.
__________________

FelipeMacedo liked this post
OrlandoBragaJr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:06 AM   #354
MakaWella
However..
 
MakaWella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Amsterdam (NL), Istanbul (TR)
Posts: 1,292
Likes (Received): 48

I think Izmir deserves it.. Not only because I am Turkish, but Brazil is already hosting some international organizations.. Dubai has a high potential too but it is already a very rich city and I believe that the people should take also added value/grow possibilities into account by voting. Turkey is growing in the past years, economical and importance on international platform. Turkey is becoming a very stable country and this is a nice chance to prove it.. Izmir was about to win expo 2015 but on the end Milano won..

I believe that this kind of organizations should help some potential cities to become financially strong and become a ''world brand''. So I hope it will be Russia, Turkey or Thailand..
__________________

OrlandoBragaJr liked this post
MakaWella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:12 AM   #355
FelipeMacedo
Registered User
 
FelipeMacedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: São Bernardo do Campo
Posts: 3,126
Likes (Received): 6064

I think that if Istambul had applied to the Expo, Turkey would have a lot more chances of winning. I mean, it's one of the largest cities in the world and it's also, historically, one of the most important cities. The same for Moscow or Saint Petersburg, in Russia, and Bangkok in Thailand.
FelipeMacedo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:13 AM   #356
OrlandoBragaJr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Likes (Received): 19

I agree that Turkey is a very good country for this kind of event, I have a Turkish friend from the same exchange program in the US I'm doing and she showed to me some very interesting things about your country.
But because of the possibility that EXPO can bring to São Paulo, Brazil and South America in many ways is just amazing. And now that we're starting to change things here, I think we should get every opportunity to keep developing.
But if São Paulo doesn't win, I hope Izmir get it. It's an incredibly beautiful city. And Turkey deserves it too. What I like about your people (at least the ones I've met) is that you are not arrogant. =)
OrlandoBragaJr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:26 AM   #357
malegi
Registered User
 
malegi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SP
Posts: 13,005
Likes (Received): 4611

Brazil
Thailand
Turkey
Russia
Dubei
__________________
Imagine there's no heaven.. (John Lennon)
malegi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:01 AM   #358
thicken
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Campinas, Brasil
Posts: 1,118
Likes (Received): 14

São Paulo
__________________
O centro de Campinas está morto. Sujo e abandonado.
thicken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:25 AM   #359
Ampelio
...is the art of space
 
Ampelio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Antapani City
Posts: 7,419
Likes (Received): 1576

Vote for Sao Paulo!
__________________
EVERYDAY URBANISM
Ampelio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:18 AM   #360
Aquinati
Aquinati
 
Aquinati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 505
Likes (Received): 235

Sao Paulo is not only a great choice because of the development the event will bring
it is a great choice because of the ideas involved, such as sustainability
the oil development is the old paradigm, the new paradigm of sustainability should be stimulated
__________________
Aquinati no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
expo 2020, thailand

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu