daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #381
VCollaborator

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardogt View Post
Thank you for the link but i would prefer to read an opinion from an indian who works building the skyscrapers or from a gay couple.

Discrimination:

http://my.telegraph.co.uk/expat/anna...life-in-dubai/

http://www.thenational.ae/thenationa...discrimination

http://bkpk.me/why-i-left-dubai-and-...-back-part-12/

Being gay in Dubai:
http://detainedindubai.org/Detained_..._in_Dubai.html

I admire the development of Dubai and it's beauty but an expo is not only about showing the marvels that a rich and intelligent economy can built, human develompent and equity is important too. The fact that people from almost 120 countries lives there doesn't means that every one lives under the same conditions.
So do you think that the solution to solve the above problems would be to not award Expo 2020 to Dubai?

I am sure that every contender for the 2020 Expo has similar problems so your argument is invalid. You are right when saying that fact Dubai is represented by 120+ nationalities doesn't equate to complete equality, but the same thing can be said about a country's laws. Just because laws exist doesn't mean that they are enforced and that all people follow/respect them.
VCollaborator no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #382
caiocco
UFABC User

Likes (Received): 3309

The problems pointed by Gerardogt appears to contrast with the focus of the exposition. Diversity without equality means nothing, at least for me. The São Paulo city video tried to show the power of diversity and this is not just for marketing, but because diversity usually is truly and really respected here.

Of course São Paulo has many social problems, a lot of contrast and so on, but we're not willing to impress with economic power or a beautiful skyline. The exposition' site has some planned potential to solve social questions, also being sustainable. The exposition isn't situated on a very rich place, it's nothing like Paulista Avenue or the new centralization of business and technology buildings located at margins of Pinheiros River. The place has a lot of space, vivid nature and infrastructure.
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #383
VCollaborator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiocco View Post
The problems pointed by Gerardogt appears to contrast with the focus of the exposition. Diversity without equality means nothing, at least for me.
Equality exists in Dubai. Just because some people are treated badly doesn't mean all people are treated in that way.

Quote:
The São Paulo city video tried to show the power of diversity and this is not just for marketing, but because diversity usually is truly and really respected here.
São Paulo's video shows diversity, but it doesn't show what it has helped or will help to achieve, while Dubai's videos does.

Quote:
Of course São Paulo has many social problems, a lot of contrast and so on, but we're not willing to impress with economic power or a beautiful skyline. The exposition' site has some planned potential to solve social questions, also being sustainable. The exposition isn't situated on a very rich place, it's nothing like Paulista Avenue or the new centralization of business and technology buildings located at margins of Pinheiros River. The place has a lot of space, vivid nature and infrastructure.
Dubai's expo site will help to bring ideas exhibited at the expo from all over the world to reality. It is not just going to serve the UAE government's ambitions to improve Emiratis' quality of living.
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #384
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCollaborator View Post

Equality exists in Dubai. Just because some people are treated badly doesn't mean all people are treated in that way.

São Paulo's video shows diversity, but it doesn't show what it has helped or will help to achieve, while Dubai's videos does.

Dubai's expo site will help to bring ideas exhibited at the expo from all over the world to reality. It is not just going to serve the UAE government's ambitions to improve Emiratis' quality of living.
What are you talking about? Is it good that in Dubai gays are jailed? Or what's about the laws that permits people to hold hands in public places? I love Dubai very much and I hope that it will win this bid, but this laws are crazy

Last edited by Nikonov_Ivan; May 12th, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #385
VCollaborator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
What are you talking about? Is it good that in Dubai gays are jailed? Or what's about the laws that permits people to holding hands in public places?
Where did I say that it is right? I just said that equality does exist in Dubai. I mean people in Dubai are also humans. Not beings without emotions as caiocco tried suggest by saying if equality doesn't exist diversity doesn't either. caiocco is basically putting the same label on everybody in Dubai.

Quote:
I love Dubai very much and I hope that it will win this bid, but this laws are crazy
I agree that they are unfair.
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #386
FelipeMacedo

Likes (Received): 6065

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCollaborator View Post
Did you really said that? "Equality exists in Dubai, some people are treated badly and some are not" lol

Quote:
Do we have to tell the whole story of the city and the country in the videos to show why our people are so diverse? I don't get your point

Quote:
All of the cities that applied to the Expo have this objective of showing ideas from all over the world. And I'm sorry, but I still don't get why Dubai is the best choice for the Expo
FelipeMacedo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #387
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

Really, I don't know why people from Brazil come to insult Dubai and say it has no chances to win the expo. Envy of Dubai? And the most important thing about the expo aren't that stupid laws of Dubai(I don't like them)but the creativity an innovation of the project and the reputation and popularity of the city.
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #388
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

I think that popularity doesn't make much sence. I think that Astana( expo 2017) isn't very popular and isn't global city.
I think that Dubai's geographical position is much better than San Paulo's.
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #389
FAAN

Likes (Received): 39651

I'm Brazilian and I never ridiculed the candidacy of any city. Also do not understand this!
FAAN está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #390
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

I didn't said all the brazilian criticized Dubai' candidacy
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #391
caiocco
UFABC User

Likes (Received): 3309

I'm not against Dubai, guys. I'm just exposing my point of view crossing out the Expo' proposal with some arguments that I read here.

If the laws and the whole society environment don't matter, then all the discussion is becoming empty from now on, but not only the discussion, but also the Expo.

São Paulo has a good reputation too, but I won't start something that would sound like a "City x City".

FelipeMacedo liked this post
caiocco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #392
FelipeMacedo

Likes (Received): 6065

I'm sorry if I looked rude. I said it here before: Dubai is an amazing city. But in my opinion, it doesn't have the values that the Expo seeks. That's just what I, and I think that of all the Brazilians here, are saying.
FelipeMacedo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #393
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardogt View Post
Thank you for the link but i would prefer to read the opinion from an indian who works building the skyscrapers or from a gay couple.
You specifically mentioned gender equality in your post, which is why I provided the link.

Every society has different strata's and Dubai, or Sao Paulo for that matter are no different. The Expo is opportunity for a city to showcase itself and with that comes the good, the bad and the ugly, and the opportunity to improve itself. Let's be very clear here, no candidate is perfect and the EXPO will hopefully help inspire a generation and drive improvements at an economic and social level.

My two pence.
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]

Last edited by Face81; May 13th, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #394
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

Please stay on topic
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #395
Edil Arda
The User

Likes (Received): 25488

http://www.expoizmir.org.tr/Galeri.aspx#expo[gallery2]/2/

K. Atatürk
Edil Arda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #396
Aquinati
Aquinati

Likes (Received): 235

beautiful city, indeed
Aquinati no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #397
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

Expo 2020: Why Britain is backing Dubai

The emirate is not only a city of Arabia, but of the world, a global hub where cultures, ideas and people from around the planet meet

By William Hague, UK Foreign Secretary, Special to Gulf News

Published: 13:22 May 15, 2013

The story goes that when the Crystal Palace was unveiled in Hyde Park in 1851, at the start of the Great Exhibition, covered in glass and glittering in the sun, observers said it resembled something out of the Arabian Nights, much in vogue at the time. Nothing like it had ever been seen in London before.

There is an extremely strong field of contenders to host the 2020 Expo, the successor to the Great Exhibition. Sao Paulo, Izmir, Ekaterinburg, Ayutthaya and Dubai are all extraordinary cities which offer something unique to the world. But to my mind, one bid stands out. Today, I announced in our parliament that the United Kingdom will be backing Dubai as the host of the 2020 Expo.

So the United Kingdom will be backing Dubai to host the 2020 Expo because it deserves the opportunity to share its achievements with the world and because it would be a fantastic demonstration of the dynamism and potential of the region. I wish its people every success in the bid and beyond.

http://gulfnews.com/opinions/columni...ubai-1.1183093
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]

Gekadisc liked this post
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #398
doudousouli

Likes (Received): 14

When will we know what city will organize the EXPO 2020?
doudousouli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #399
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5787

october or november this year

doudousouli liked this post
TEBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #400
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote