daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #481
morenoque

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom of communism View Post
UAE buys voices of European countries, Russia - Pacific Island countries. Where problem?
Ok, already we know that your people will purchase the wills of people based on money, thanks for the confirmation.

Fortunately, the rest of the world works differently.
morenoque no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #482
morenoque

Likes (Received): 1083

New York Times says UAE will win World Expo 2020 bid

Quote:
Dubai is expected to win the bid to host 2020 World Expo thanks to government support and owing to political tensions in other countries bidding for the prestigious event, the US New York Times newspaper has said.

In an article about the event, the paper cited official statements in Dubai expecting the emirate to receive more than 25 million visitors and 270,000 new jobs.

Dubai, which would be the first host of the world’s fair in the Middle East, has emerged as the front-runner,” it said.

“Political tensions in Russia and in Turkey could hurt the chances of Yekaterinburg and Izmir.”

The paper said São Paulo in Brazil, the largest city in the Southern Hemisphere, is seen as least likely to succeed when the 100 or so delegates of the exposition bureau’s General Assembly vote in November.

“The fact that all of the 2020 bidders come from emerging markets is indicative of the changing landscape of international relations,” it said.
Source.
morenoque no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:33 AM   #483
ReNaHtEiM
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 438

São Paulo ftw!
ReNaHtEiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:04 PM   #484
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2718

Congrats Dubai and Good luck Izmir for the next bid

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014

Time Lord liked this post
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:41 PM   #485
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

Ah well, the 'briberist' won I don't want to come if that's the case .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:48 PM   #486
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7546

This time it is way too easy to predict the winner. I am sure Dubai will organize the best EXPO ever. Best of luck!
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:21 PM   #487
Gutovsky

Likes (Received): 5943

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNaHtEiM View Post
São Paulo ftw!
Our bid is very nice and has the best possibilities for changing the panorama of the place where it will be located, but Dubai is investing big in their bid, while we have too much to cope with right now.

Our greatest asset is, right now, the fact that we will host the opening of the World Cup, an event that only loses in importance to the Final Match and the opening of the Olympics - which will both happen in Rio, a 4-hour car drive away. Also, we will have a brand new Terminal for our International Airport in Guarulhos, as well as an all-new airport for Campinas - Viracopos, located by the same road that stays beside the Expo, a new subway line (we will have 6 by then, plus 2 monorails and several other urban train lines). By the way, most of these will be ready ayway, regardless of the city being chosen for the Expo, and many are already under construction or to be bid to private companies.

As for Dubai, well, it's Dubai... No introductions needed! I really think they'll win this one, but São Paulo should present its bid again.
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #488
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutovsky View Post
Our bid is very nice and has the best possibilities for changing the panorama of the place where it will be located, but Dubai is investing big in their bid, while we have too much to cope with right now.

Our greatest asset is, right now, the fact that we will host the opening of the World Cup, an event that only loses in importance to the Final Match and the opening of the Olympics - which will both happen in Rio, a 4-hour car drive away. Also, we will have a brand new Terminal for our International Airport in Guarulhos, as well as an all-new airport for Campinas - Viracopos, located by the same road that stays beside the Expo, a new subway line (we will have 6 by then, plus 2 monorails and several other urban train lines). By the way, most of these will be ready ayway, regardless of the city being chosen for the Expo, and many are already under construction or to be bid to private companies.

As for Dubai, well, it's Dubai... No introductions needed! I really think they'll win this one, but São Paulo should present its bid again.

Well I am not sure about this but Brazil has used up a lot of money. Not saying this is bad but maybe is it using too much? Wasting a little of it?
Because for the same city to hold major sports and international event in 2 years, wow must be thinking lots of money must be put in to this

Also when are they announcing whose going to win? Date.
Puppetgeneral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #489
copa olympic

Likes (Received): 445

I can agree if the reason is the money and the investment in the project plus other reasons such as the connection with the world
Dubai Airport is the largest in the region and it's very easy to come to Dubai from any place in the world
but the "Political" reasons is what I don't agree with
someone says the USA will support Dubai .. the USA is not a member of the BIE
and do not have the right to vote
and I don't see why they could support by lobbying and ask the other countries to vote
if they care about the expos ( the US take part in every Expo but as non-member of the BIE) they should officially re-join the organization
if they mean by political tension the syrian problem with Turkey and the Russian support for Al-Asad
the UAE in the other hand has more relations with Syria as an Arabian country
the UAE take part with Qatar and the NATO in the war against Al-Gaddafi in Libya and are ready to take part in any war against Al-Asad system.
if it's the LGBT rights in Russia .. it's much worse in the UAE as everyone know
if the BIE will take the LGBT community rights into consideration
there is only one choice " Sao Paulo " Brazil is the only candidate country that give the full rights to the LGBT
but I doubt this will play any role as unlike the IOC and FIFA when you have people from different backgrounds voting
here with the BIE delegates represent countries vote ( and some of the countries especially in Africa and Asia has much worse laws against the LGBT )
there is another small problem for Dubai here "Israel"
the UAE do not recognize Israel as a country and the Israelites are forbidden from entering the land of UAE
even if the government made an exception for the world expo I doubt the people ( especially the native Arabs ) will be happy to see the Israeli pavilion with the Israeli flag rising in the sky of Dubai
they will need more security for the Israeli pavilion/section anyway
for the vote itself I don't know if Israel have any power inside the BIE or if they can lead a lobby against the Dubai bid.
for Puppetgeneral the vote and the announcement will be at the next BIE General Assembly 26-27 November.. most likely the second day 27 November.
copa olympic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #490
Majed

Likes (Received): 133

Watch Dubai EXPO 2020 HD

Majed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #491
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

Netherlands backs Dubai Expo 2020 bid

By Shane McGinley Tuesday, 17 September 2013 10:01 AM

The Dutch Minister of Foreign Affairs, Frans Timmermans, has announced his country's official support for the UAE's bid to host Expo 2020 in Dubai. The Minister announced this news during a bilateral meeting with HH Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, UAE Minister of Foreign Affairs, in Dubai, the WAM News agency reported.

"The Netherlands is very pleased to support the UAE in its bid for Expo 2020. The consultation and assessment to decide a balanced position was lengthy. The Netherlands was extremely impressed with the efforts the UAE has invested in their bid for Expo 2020. The plans and strategy the UAE has put in place are remarkable," the minister said in a press release after the announcement.

While in Dubai, the minister also met with Dutch companies that have a presence in the UAE. The chairmen of the Netherlands Business Council and the Benelux Business Council both welcomed the decision, while Dutch businesses have expressed a strong voice in favour of supporting the UAE's bid for Expo 2020.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/nethe...id-518551.html
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #492
[email protected]
"Chewie, we're home"

Likes (Received): 7946

I wonder what was Netherlands price... maybe an all-time record sale of tulips?

".בְּאֵין תַּחְבֻּלוֹת יִפָּל עָם וּתְשׁוּעָה בְּרֹב יוֹעֵץ"
משלי י"א:י"ד
Moss@d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #493
Joao Pedro - Fortal

Likes (Received): 7744

looks like no other city can face Dubai at this bid process..
Joao Pedro - Fortal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #494
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2435

DUBAI DUBAI DUBAI !!!!

getroy liked this post
Dubai_Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #495
copa olympic

THE DIVERSITY SYMPOSIUM, SAO PAULO’S LAST CHALLENGE IN THE RACE FOR EXPO 2020

Two months after the Ekaterinburg symposium on the Global Mind, it is now Sao Paulo's turn to uphold the theme of its Expo in front of the BIE Member States.

The symposium is the last step in the race to win the right to host Expo 2020. It is a unique opportunity for candidates to expose the theme they have chosen and demonstrate how it raises questions in tune with the member states' agendas.

The very cosmopolitan city of Sao Paulo chose to build its Expo bid on the theme of diversity. By focusing on this notion, Expo organizers want to demonstrate how diversity can be the key to growth and progress by bringing together ideas, cultures, innovations from all around the world to solve today's challenges.

On September 21st, the Sao Paulo symposium will give an overview of the variety of subjects tackled by the theme and show the links between diversity and growth, public policies, sustainable development and intercultural dialogue.

The symposiums of the 2 other candidate cities, Izmir and Dubai, will take place in October before the vote of November 27th during the BIE General Assembly.

BIE

el palmesano liked this post
Old October 5th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #496
copa olympic

Quote:
İzmir’s “Health for All“ symposium which is named after the city’s EXPO 2020 theme, will be held between 7-8 October. The Symposium will be participated by BIE delegates and will contain Turkish and foreign speakers who will talk about the health issues of the world. With its “Health for all” theme, İzmir aims to bring all nations under one roof in EXPO 2020 to find collective solutions against world’s ever growing health problems.

http://expo2020izmirsymposium.org/default.aspx

Quote:
If you believe in "Health for All" ideal, you can sign our manifesto petition and support us.
http://expo2020izmirmanifesto.wesign.it/en

Last edited by copa olympic; October 5th, 2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old October 5th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #497
Yako1

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Boy View Post
DUBAI DUBAI DUBAI !!!!
NO NO NO!! I do not want Dubai to win.. There is a Facebook page which tries to make more people aware of the crappy labour laws in the Emirates...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dubai...099947?fref=ts

So much for their gleaming skyscrapers and hotels and expressways huh..

bozenBDJ liked this post
Yako1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #498
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

Thailand is eliminated, and Russia has been cheating too much. And Sao Paulo probably doesn't have a chance against the rest.

So we come down to Izmir and Dubai.

I really want Dubai to win but Istanbul lost 2020 olympics (very pissed at that) so I don't know I think if either wins I don't really care any more!
Puppetgeneral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #499
FAAN

Likes (Received): 39651

How is that? Izmir has more chances than São Paulo? Can you explain me that? Get info dude
FAAN está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #500
malegi

Likes (Received): 4612

Go SP!!!!!!!!!!!

bozenBDJ liked this post
malegi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
expo 2020, thailand