daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #621
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

Instead of talking about UAE's petrol, why we don't talk about Brazil's resources? They are deforesting the biggest forest in the world for money. And this money isn't for people, is for the government. The taxes are on the sky. This is what I call hypocrisy.

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #622
Alchemist89

Likes (Received): 6

The oil discovered was not much. Also, Abu Dhabi bought bonds and Dubai is going to repay it and is currently capable of repaying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako1 View Post
Yea, but the city started its growth in the 60s and 70s from oil.... and oh, after the financial crisis, oil rich neighbour Abu Dhabi help bail out Dubai
Alchemist89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #623
Dago Gamarra

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
Instead of talking about UAE's petrol, why we don't talk about Brazil's resources? They are deforesting the biggest forest in the world for money. And this money isn't for people, is for the government. The taxes are on the sky. This is what I call hypocrisy.
Don't say things that you don't know...

First of all, Amazon is more than 5000 km of São Paulo... One thing has nothing to do with the other...

Second, it is not our government who deforest Amazon... It is clandestine wood companies who invade the preservation areas, with a big arsenal of heavy guns, and do that

About the taxes... That i have to agree with you... It's a crime with the people

Andre Goth liked this post
Old October 19th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #624
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29211

Well I read some of the posts and that is what I have to say:
I visited many countries and I visited UAE as well ... Dubai is way better than any other city I've been in ... in fact I went back many times there and I can assure you slavery is everywhere in the world ... anyways I think the Cities going against Dubai got not chance at all.
Plus Dubai is the safest city ... it is just amazing how safe and sound people live there ... crimes are very minimal in Dubai
oh and very lovely people ... not like Turkey ... they kick you out rudely of the shop if it is the time to close and it happened with me and others as well .. many times

Last edited by Gabriel900; October 21st, 2013 at 12:36 AM.
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #625
Andre Goth
Império do Brasil

Likes (Received): 4247

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilindr0 View Post
sao Paulo? What about this?

You know what is the meaning of this? This is hypocrisy! The half of the country is starving and the goverment waste their money into building luxury buildings and football stadiums...

Let's stop writing about what we "think" and write about the REAL numbers, the REAL world is:

According to the Brazilian Institute of Geography, the State of São Paulo has 2.7% of its population living in extreme poverty (according to the criteria of 'extreme poverty' data by the World Bank)

The District of the City of São Paulo with lower human development index is Marsilac with HDI of 0.701 (the same of Jordania), there is rather, a problem of urban planning, about 16% of the city population lives in "slums"

bozenBDJ, caiocco, [email protected] liked this post
Andre Goth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #626
Andre Goth
Império do Brasil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
Instead of talking about UAE's petrol, why we don't talk about Brazil's resources? They are deforesting the biggest forest in the world for money. And this money isn't for people, is for the government.

Another common place of the uninformed people ... Brazil is a continental country which better preserved their forests along the time, over 61% of the Brazilian territory is occupied by forests, any other country, with the economic relevance of Brazil, kept such forest cover and for your information: the deforestation decreases year by year, inform yourself better!

caiocco, [email protected], Isaaac liked this post
Old October 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #627
Andre Goth
Império do Brasil

Flag of the city

I see that a lot of people here speaks about São Paulo without even knowing anything about the city but, let's we see more about the city of São Paulo:

The city is the center of the Metropolitan Area of São Paulo that is known as a financial and economic centre of Brazil, with a total population of more than 20,5 millions inhabitants (2010 National Census).The extended metropolitan area of São Paulo have the population of 27,5 millions inhabitants, wich is ranked at the 3rd place on the World!

The metropolitan region of São Paulo has has a GDP of more than Us$ 400 billions, if was a country the town would be the 25th largest economy of the world!

The city is one of the most diverse in the world, the population is descended mostly from European immigrants (mainly Portuguese, Italian, Spanish and German). There are also large communities of Middle Easterners (Lebanese, Syrians and Armenians) and East Asian (Japanese, Korean and Chinese), and African descent.

Like the cultural variety verifiable in São Paulo, there are various religious manifestations present in the city. According to data from the 2000 census conducted by the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE), the population of São Paulo is composed of: Catholics (68.11%), Protestant (15.94%), Atheísts (8,97%), Spiritians (2.75%), Buddhists (0.65%), Jews (0.36%), Muslims (0.33%) and others (2.90%).

There is absolute religious freedom in the country, Brazil is a secular State with no official religion; anyone can join or disaffiliate from one religion freely without any interference from the state, anyone can marry people of other religious groups, also without any problem.

Antoher question about the diversity of São Paulo: the city hosts the large gay pride parade of the world, in the State of São Paulo the gay marriage is allowed on an equal legal therms of the heterosexual marriage.

bozenBDJ, caiocco liked this post

Last edited by Andre Goth; October 19th, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #628
[email protected]
"Chewie, we're home"

Likes (Received): 7946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako1 View Post
Who says you cant? if you have a non-Israeli passport you can visit dubai... in any case, come 2020, you might have to apply for a new passport haha
Oh, yes. Very funny, indeed. Let's all join hands and sing Kumbaya together in Dubai in 2020 while hating other countries and wishing them vanished from the map. Swell!

And hey, if São Paulo is holding the event, please don't come, because the 5th richest economy in the whole world is spending money in stadia and Expos, when it should be solving a 130-year old problem (slums) instead, just like that. So you shouldn't be ok for us to hold big events while the country doesn't solve all of its problems and becomes Paradise on Earth, right?

Although, I was just wondering... if Dubai so favorite to win, and the other cities are not a valid competition, and Dubai is so devoid of problems, it's almost perfect... then... why are the Arabs buying votes worldwide, altogether? If it's a no-brainer, why the effort? That, I presume, is the million-dollar question...

".בְּאֵין תַּחְבֻּלוֹת יִפָּל עָם וּתְשׁוּעָה בְּרֹב יוֹעֵץ"
משלי י"א:י"ד

Andre Goth, caiocco liked this post
Moss@d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #629
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2437

I have a feeling Dubai will win

racso380, hqho1671 liked this post
Dubai_Boy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #630
racso380

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Boy View Post
I hope so!!! Dubai is my favourite city in the world
racso380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #631
Andre Goth
Império do Brasil

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
And hey, if São Paulo is holding the event, please don't come, because the 5th richest economy in the whole world is spending money in stadia and Expos, when it should be solving a 130-year old problem (slums) instead, just like that. So you shouldn't be ok for us to hold big events while the country doesn't solve all of its problems and becomes Paradise on Earth, right?
The problem about the slums will NOT be solved by the money, but with the political will...

And host events and attract tourists is way to raise the
prosperity through tourism and make possible the will of the rulers, creating the "necessity" to solve the "substandard housing" that so many problems brings to our cities ...

So this premise that to host events all the problems must be resolved before is false, because THAT events are one og the ways to solve the problems ...

bozenBDJ liked this post

Last edited by Andre Goth; October 20th, 2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #632
[email protected]
"Chewie, we're home"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Goth View Post
The problem about the slums will NOT be solved by the money, but with the political will...

And host events and attract tourists is way to raise the
prosperity through tourism and make possible the will of the rulers, creating the "necessity" to solve the "substandard housing" that so many problems brings to our cities ...

So this premise that to host events all the problems must be resolved before is false, because THAT events are one og the ways to solve the problems ...
You DO realize I was being ironic, right?

Old October 20th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #633
Andre Goth
Império do Brasil

Quote:
You DO realize I was being ironic, right?
Yes, and my arguments reinforce your irony, I clicked OK at your post...

[email protected] liked this post
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #634
[email protected]
"Chewie, we're home"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Boy View Post
We know of a receipt saying Dubai will win.

Old October 20th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #635
YusufAmir
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Airbus A380 of Emirates with Expo 2020 logo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
YusufAmir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #636
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2437

Quote:
We know of a receipt saying Dubai will win.
Any Evidence shown in the Media ? or just bitter grapes ?

Gabriel900 liked this post
Dubai_Boy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 12:16 AM   #637
ekat99

Likes (Received): 653

Quote:
Originally Posted by racso380 View Post
I hope so!!! Dubai is my favourite city in the world
dubai is boring!
Old October 21st, 2013, 12:34 AM   #638
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Hahahahaha it is just hilarious seeing some people talking sh*t about dubai .. it just shows how bitter they are and YES dubai will win and that is because it is a great city and almost perfect ... low crimes and a beautiful place to live ... I visit it almost every month and it is a heaven rising slowly in the middle of desert ... oh and people plz stop hating the city just because its rich and urs is dead poor! I think y'all should visit it and I'm sure you'll have a change of heart
Old October 21st, 2013, 12:55 AM   #639
YusufAmir
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

No offense

but in Brazil the people are killing themselves ( especially in Favellas and many more cities ). Drugs,Heroin,Cocaina is everywhere. Crime rate is too high. People got robbed in a bus at daylight, Kids are robbing tourists at Copa Gabana.

And then they are praying Jesus. Maria was covered. But at Samba days the girls are all naked. If they are believing in Jesus then the girls must cover themselves.

I dont think Jesus would like to see naked girls at samba shaking their boobies and butts.
YusufAmir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 10:37 AM   #640
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Expo 2020: Dubai is already connecting minds to create a hi-tech future

ExpoBids.com says Dubai has one of the best chances to win the rights to host Expo 2020
The countdown has begun for what is being billed as another game-changer for Dubai, with Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) set to announce the winner of the Expo 2020 bid next month.

Dubai is a candidate city to host the 2020 World Expo. Under the theme of "connecting minds, creating the future", Dubai aims to be the first city in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia (Menasa) region to host this highly celebrated international exhibition.

And if unofficial sources are to be believed, the emirate stands a very good chance of bagging the rights to host the global expo seven years from now.

"Sources seem to indicate that Dubai has one of the best chances," says ExpoBids.com, a project of ExpoMuseum.com and which tracks the various bids for the BIE-sanctioned expo to be held in 2020.
After the city of Ayutthaya, Thailand, bowed out of reckoning on June 11, 2013, there are now four cities left in the fray to host Expo 2020: Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Ekaterinburg, Russia; Izmir, Turkey, and Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Dubai's theme of "connecting minds, creating the future" can already be seen in action as the emirate prepares for a seamlessly connected future with the unveiling of the project to transform Dubai into a smart city.
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, announced the launch of the new project that "aims to provide all Dubai residents with high speed internet in public places and 'live' services and information," Sheikh Mohammed announced via his Twitter feed.

"The Dubai smart city project involves remote sensor devices all over Dubai to provide better lifestyle and services to Dubai residents. Creating an international city model and a new bettered reality for our people is our purpose," Sheikh Mohammed said via his Twitter feed.

Observers believe this is a huge step to boost connectivity that will make Dubai rank among a handful of global destinations offering wireless Internet across the length and breadth of the cities. Freely available connectivity will also prove to be a boon for students and budding entrepreneurs who will be able to transform their ideas into reality much faster thanks to the always-on pervasive connectivity.

This step sums up the essence of Dubai's Expo 2020 bid theme of "connecting minds, creating the future," and will usher the emirate and the UAE much faster towards a hi-tech future.

Dubai as a city is developing at a rapid pace, witnessing unprecedented growth in the past decade and looking to an even faster pace of growth in the current and forthcoming decades.

Despite the world losing a good five years to the global economic downturn, Dubai has continued on its journey to modernise its infrastructure and put in place a network of physical and digital connectivity.

The city saw the launch of the world's longest driverless Metro system in 2009 when the world was still counting its losses from the financial crisis, and as the slowdown took its hold elsewhere, the emirate continued on its drive to upgrade its network of roads and bridges, all of which now seems to be paying off in terms of visitor arrivals and growth in resident numbers.

http://www.zawya.com/story/Expo_2020...0131021034228/

Tags
expo 2020, thailand