daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2013, 04:18 PM   #641
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekat99 View Post
dubai is boring!
What can you tell me about Ekaterinburg?

[email protected], opusdei liked this post
Frozt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2013, 04:28 PM   #642
Gutovsky

Likes (Received): 5942

Did this really become a city x city? So sad. People should talk about proposals for the Expo and benefits it'll bring for the countries/cities, not keep highlighting the negative aspects of either.
Old October 21st, 2013, 05:09 PM   #643
city of the future
city of the future

Likes (Received): 248

This thread has become very negative. people bashing cities, can we just talk about the expo and not why my city is better then your city?

firoz bharmal, Gutovsky liked this post
city of the future no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 08:59 PM   #644
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Maybe it's just me, and maybe I missed this argument some pages ago, but does anyone else think these events should be discontinued?

Thanks to modern technology we can learn and sample various cultures at any time in ways previously unheard of. Recipes for sampling foreign cuisine, hear about different types of music and languages, study foreign politics and history... Put simply the need is not as great as it's been in the past.

As such, this event has become little more than a token excuse to redirect capital investment in the name of tourism, often under feeble pretenses and with plenty of opportunity for political graft. If I really wanted to tour Dubai or Sao Paulo then i'd much rather see those cities instead of some temporary ivory village with exhibits about 50 other places!

sept liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:19 PM   #645
Gutovsky

Likes (Received): 5942

Either way, the choice is (or should be...) objective and according to the criteria of the BIE. We are organizing several other events, and that should be a bonus point for proving we can do it. But it's true, we (as a third world developing nation) have been overlooked for so long, and we have two of the world's biggest cities, so we are trying to "show" ourselves off. Dubai doesn't need any of that, I think there could be an Expo'2020 and an Expo'2021, since there is no such rule of only biennal events.

But, of course, I hope we win! :-)
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:29 PM   #646
emrearas

Likes (Received): 22

want izmir to win... Turkey missed olympics and UEFA champ at 2020 and we dont want to pass with empty hands.
also more experienced than other candidates (+80 years old İnternational İzmir Fair) about Fair organisation and the idea of health is a real gem to dig and carve... like the theme of İzmir a lot.
even if u had billions of Gold r euros, when u dont have your health means nothing.

ah yea... nothng i SA before, but too much after and after these days let BA or Mexico city get expo then, why always brazil

Gutovsky, cancan-izmir liked this post
emrearas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:52 PM   #647
Dago Gamarra

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrearas View Post
ah yea... nothng i SA before, but too much after and after these days let BA or Mexico city get expo then, why always brazil
Mexico is not SA hahaha... XD See...thats the reason that i want people to come here... To know where Brazil are in the map at least... Hahahah

But i understand what you say...

I would support BA or other SA city if they had made a bid... But they don't... So...

Go Go São Paulo!! \o/

Gutovsky, [email protected] liked this post

Last edited by Dago Gamarra; October 21st, 2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:47 PM   #648
MichalHajek

Likes (Received): 49

Here, for all the haters and all the lovers

Looker liked this post
MichalHajek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 01:35 AM   #649
emrearas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalHajek View Post

sorry but it looks like SIMCITY 5 & CITIES XL commercial.too much artificial....

why do not those cities attract me a lit. bit??? oops yes.. too much artificial.....
Old October 22nd, 2013, 02:16 AM   #650
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29004

Dubai might be artificial but at least its people are kind and loving ... other countries got the rudest people ever and no beautiful natural scenery can fix that ... anw I would say Dubai is smart ... it knows how to use its money to fix the country and make it awesome and I do believe other countries if they had a desert climate won't do what Dubai is achieving but they are lucky green comes for free to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_XGmaqUueM
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 07:38 AM   #651
Phantom of communism
The Schrödinger's cat

Likes (Received): 6203

It can be told about any country

Willkommen in Jekaterinburg! Ласкаво просимо до Єкатеринбургу! Сардэчна запрашаем у Екацерынбург! Vítejte v Jekatěrinburgu! Tere tulemast Jekaterinburg! Bienvenue à Iekaterinbourg! Welkom bij Jekaterinburg! Velkommen til Ekaterinburg! Bienvenido a Yekaterimburgo! Velkomin á Ekaterinburg! Laipni lūdzam uz Jekaterinburgu! Екатеринбургга рәхим итегез! Yekaterinburga Xoş gəlmisiniz! Welcome to Yekaterinburg! Добро пожаловать в Екатеринбург!

DrGe, alley cat, Marck Sanches liked this post
Phantom of communism no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:07 AM   #652
emrearas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Dubai might be artificial but at least its people are kind and loving ... other countries got the rudest people ever and no beautiful natural scenery can fix that ... anw I would say Dubai is smart ... it knows how to use its money to fix the country and make it awesome and I do believe other countries if they had a desert climate won't do what Dubai is achieving but they are lucky green comes for free to them.

darling if i have BİLLİONS of USD in my pocket like your emirs, i can make middle earth real in my homeland living with elves dwarfs...etc . doesn't matter if u dig 5 trees on desert or not. although u r changing mother natures laws and balance at the same time. changing a desert into green fields may be good but all ecosystem lived there for thousands year is collapsing, like the palm trees on gulf..

money means everything if u can use it logically..

and yes im a kind but sarcastic person

Northwood-3179 liked this post
emrearas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM   #653
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Expo 2020: Dubai to spend Dh5 billion on transport network Project involves expansion of roads, train and bus transport systems

Published Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Dubai will allocate Dhfive billion for the development of its road network to serve an expected influx of 25 million visitors to the Expo if the emirate wins a bid to host the prestigious world event, an official was quoted on Tuesday as saying.

The plan covers all means of transport including buses and trains besides mega projects to expand roads in various areas and set up direct links to Expo site, which will be built between Jebel Ali free zone and Dubai Trade Centre, said Matar Al Tayer, Chairman of the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority.

“TRA has earmarked Dhfive billion for road and transport development in case Dubai wins the bid to host Expo,” he told the Arabic language daily Al Khaleej.

He said the project covers many areas in the emirate, including Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Road, the University City Street, roads leading to Expo area, and intersections on several streets besides setting up car parks and stops for buses and taxis.

“We believe that Dubai already has the infrastructure to cope with such a major event. All we need is some expansion and development of the existing facilities so they can handle 25 million people in six months,” he said.

He said Metro expansion projects would allow Dubai to cope with an expected increase in its population to nearly 3.1 million in 2020, around 4.1 million in 2025 and 6.1 million in 2030. “

The project in the long term involves the addition of 221 km to the present train road network and 69 new stations,” he said.

http://www.emirates247.com/expo-2020...10-22-1.525236

firoz bharmal liked this post
Old October 22nd, 2013, 03:09 PM   #654
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57913

This thread is full of BS. Any moderating activity in here remaining?

I got kicked out of office, that's what you got...

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:45 AM   #655
Fabouninou

Likes (Received): 252

Dubai is city... Of course it's artificial...
Fabouninou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 01:08 AM   #656
FelixMadero
armatissimi & liberissimi

Likes (Received): 6366

São Paulo <3

bozenBDJ, William1605 liked this post
FelixMadero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 09:37 AM   #657
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

I want to move to DUBAI!!!!!!!!

Oh wait, that might not be such a great idea right now but later should be great!

Everything in 21st century is shifting to Asia again!
Puppetgeneral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 01:38 PM   #658
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

World Expo 2020: Dubai is ready to receive the world

ByWam/Staff

PublishedTuesday, October 22, 2013

[IMG]http://i42.************/20kaz5g.jpg[/IMG]

His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, attended the first session of the seminar to discuss the 'Connecting Minds, Creating the Future' theme of World Expo 2020, which opened at Madinat Jumeirah in Dubai on Tuesday.

Before the session, Sheikh Mohammed met with 250 representatives and international experts participating in the three day seminar, individually welcoming and greeting them, and wishing them success in their discussions for the theme of Expo 2020, in the event of winning the bid to host this renowned international event.

Sheikh Mohammed also wished for a pleasant stay in the UAE for all the guests, who represent 167 countries, and hoped that they would absorb the historical and contemporary landmarks of Dubai's heritage, as well as the culture of Emirati people.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/gove...10-22-1.525285
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]

firoz bharmal liked this post
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #659
Isaaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post

Perhaps you should know a great percentage of the users of SSC are gays. Now, Dubai friendly? Certainly not for everyone, perhaps for you.

A place where if a gay person engage in public any displays of afection, goes to jail and later is deported, is the last place I would consider "friendly", and LOTS of people in this forum too. So I'm not sure a place where this is the rule is a friendly place with "kind and loving" people.

bozenBDJ, caiocco, racso380 liked this post
Isaaac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #660
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaaac View Post
Perhaps you should know a great percentage of the users of SSC are gays. Now, Dubai friendly? Certainly not for everyone, perhaps for you.

A place where if a gay person engage in public any displays of afection, goes to jail and later is deported, is the last place I would consider "friendly", and LOTS of people in this forum too. So I'm not sure a place where this is the rule is a friendly place with "kind and loving" people.
Well ur right on this one but who knows maybe if the city wins the expo that will push it to change its flawed laws to the better

Tags
expo 2020, thailand