daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Old October 24th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #661
Gabriel900
Soul Cleanser

Likes (Received): 958

Dubai’s Expo 2020 bid ‘modern and dynamic’

DUBAI // Energy conservation, collaboration, mobility and providing drinking water for developing countries forms the heart of Dubai’s Expo 2020 bid, which experts have hailed as modern and dynamic.

The Theme Symposium this week for the 250 delegates of the Bureau International des Expositions (Bie) is the last in the series. The emirate is the final candidate to present its theme, “Connecting Minds, Building the Future”, after Russia’s Yekaterinburg, Brazil’s Sao Paulo and Turkey’s Izmir.

Experts said the city’s bid demonstrates universal appeal while offering practical solutions, and that staging a world fair will benefit Dubai and the UAE far beyond 2020.

“To my mind the Expo will be a great bonus along with Dubai’s momentum of development; this is because its infrastructure is geared not just for 2020 or for what happens in 2021 but far beyond,” said John Podaras, partner in consultancy firm Hotel Development Resources.

“Dubai and the UAE have a vision; the country immerses itself in a number of projects but it still remains an integrated and cohesive vision.

“An Expo always bring in focused demand so there will be demand for hotels, tourism, infrastructure. This is special because an Expo is over six months. The demand will extend to a year and beyond so it is really very significant.”

The use of public transport, including connectivity to the Metro that will ferry more than 75,000 people daily to the site and the planned use of some 750 ExpoRider zero-emission buses, were among the modern transit options showcased to Bie delegates this week.

The Roads and Transport Authority has said it will fast track a planned Dh5 billion Metro expansion if Dubai wins the final vote on November 27. The plan includes building an extension to the Red Line to take passengers from Jebel Ali to Al Maktoum International Airport near the proposed Expo site at Dubai World Central.

Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, Vice President and Ruler of Dubai, recently announced plans to turn Dubai into a “smart city” with high-speed wireless internet available across the emirate.

Physical connectivity too is vital and Dubai’s second airport, Al Maktoum International, will open for passenger flights on Sunday with a capacity for up to 7 million passengers a year.

It first opened for cargo operations in June 2010.

The existing Dubai International Airport is already the world’s second busiest airport in terms of international passenger traffic and the third busiest for cargo.

The Expo site is also located near Jebel Ali Port, the largest container port between Rotterdam and Singapore.

The visiting Bie delegates also received information about the vital initiative Expo Live that aims to directly transform the lives of communities around the globe. An affordable high-quality solar lantern is part of the D Light project and Pure Home Water involves clay pots reinforced with a filtering technology for people in the developing world.

When choosing a host city, the 167 member countries consider feasibility and viability while scrutinising the theme, masterplan, site, projects, infrastructure, accommodation and transportation. Members also examine if the Expo is a national project fully supported by the government and citizens.

Abdulla Al Gurg, group general manager of the Easa Saleh Al Gurg Group, said the UAE’s bid ticks all the boxes.

“The promise of efficiency and competence to deliver an event that is world class offers Dubai the unique edge amongst competitors,” he said.

“Dubai has a ‘can excel’ attitude towards any campaign it commits to. With due respect to the other bidding cities, hosting a global expo also requires some existing world-class infrastructure and facilities, and it is on this score that Dubai is miles ahead of the competition, be it its airport, roads, hotels and numerous shopping destinations plus recreational facilities.”

The city’s growth as a tourist and business hub where millions of people from different countries and cultures coexist also puts it ahead, Mr Al Gurg said.

“The cosmopolitan nature of the emirate provides a great hospitality environment for visitors from across the world,” he said. “Dubai represents the essence of globalisation at work.”

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/touris...rn-and-dynamic
Gabriel900 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 24th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #662
erbse
Alpha Bull

Likes (Received): 22126

Moss@d, bozenBDJ, FAAN, caiocco liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #663
Andre Goth
Flumen Ianuarii

Likes (Received): 1086

erbse, Marck Sanches liked this post
Andre Goth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #664
Gabriel900
Soul Cleanser

Hopes surge after Expo trip

Dubai’s expectations to host World Expo 2020 rose one notch up with a grand conclusion to the visit of the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) delegates to the UAE.The air of confidence mixed with the best of hospitality as the Higher Committee for Dubai Expo 2020 welcomed the delegates from the 167-member nations of BIE to the Lisali Fort in the desert on Wednesday night to officially conclude their visit for the Dubai Expo 2020 Theme Symposium.

The committee was led by Shaikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, President of the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority, Chairman of Dubai Airports, Chairman and Chief Executive of Emirates airline and Group and Chairman of the Higher Committee for Hosting the World Expo 2020 in Dubai.

Supported by the Shaikh Hamdan bin Mohammed Centre for Heritage and the Dubai Culture Authority, the traditional Bedouin-style camp, situated among the towering sand dunes surrounding the Lisali Fort, gave delegates an insight into the UAE’s rich heritage, culture and national identity. The setting brought the transformative development that the UAE has undergone over the last 40 years into sharp focus.

Commenting on the Theme Symposium, Reem Al Hashemi, UAE Minister of State and Managing Director of Dubai Expo 2020, said: “Every aspect of the Dubai Expo 2020 Theme Symposium was designed to give representatives from the 167-member nations of the BIE a deeper understanding of what an expo in Dubai in 2020, under the theme Connecting Minds, Creating the Future could mean for their countries. It has been a highly engaging couple of days and we thank our guests for their time, participation and attention. The remarkable support felt from throughout the nation has left a lasting impression on all the delegates and greatly distinguishes our bid from our competition.”

Others present from the Higher Committee were Mohammed Ibrahim Al Shaibani, Director-General of the Ruler’s Court of Dubai, who serves as Deputy Chairman; Mattar Mohammed Al Tayer, Chairman of the Roads and Transport Authority; Hussain Nasser Lootah, Director-General of the Dubai Municipality; Helal Saeed Al Marri, CEO of Dubai World Trade Centre and Director-General of Dubai Tourism and Commerce Marketing; and Major General Khamis Mattar Al Muzeina, Deputy Commander-General of Dubai Police.

Delegates started to depart Dubai on Thursday after a breakfast gathering with representatives from Dubai’s multinational, regional and local business community. As many as 80 per cent of Fortune 500 companies, including all of the top-10, have established a presence in the UAE, while the SME sector contributes to over 40 per cent of Dubai’s GDP.

Osama Al Rahma, CEO of Al Fardan Exchange and director of Al Fardan Group, opined that factors like well-developed infrastructure, high level of security and stability, geographic location, and connectivity by air, land and sea make Dubai most eligible for hosting the largest exhibition of its kind in the world.

“Hosting Expo 2020 will bring tremendous economic benefits to the country, including raising the GDP, new developments and creation of 280,000 new jobs in the country, which would have a positive impact on the local and regional labour markets and contribute to the establishment of new companies in the future,” he told Khaleej Times.

Abdul Gafoor, managing director of Micro Group of Companies, pointed out that Dubai’s urge to achieve superlative position in all areas makes the City of Gold the best candidate city to host Expo 2020.

“The city offers the best security and prosperity to people from across the globe. Strategically positioned on the global map, Dubai is currently home to more than 200 nationalities, yet it is one of the safest cities in the world. Above all, Dubai is the world’s best city to invest and ensures the highest safety and return for investments of entrepreneurs from across the world.”

He added that the winning bid would boost Dubai’s brand-value by strengthening the city’s status as a global hub of tourism, hospitality, trade, aviation, investment and services. “It’s the land of opportunities, and a safe place where all big dreams turn into reality.”

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/kt-artic...=nationgeneral
Old October 26th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #665
arhimed2050
Архимед

Likes (Received): 79

Kazakhstan votes for Dubai, UAE.
arhimed2050 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #666
Marcelo S.

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaaac View Post
Perhaps you should know a great percentage of the users of SSC are gays. Now, Dubai friendly? Certainly not for everyone, perhaps for you.

A place where if a gay person engage in public any displays of afection, goes to jail and later is deported, is the last place I would consider "friendly", and LOTS of people in this forum too. So I'm not sure a place where this is the rule is a friendly place with "kind and loving" people.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-22753329

Go for SP then!
Old October 27th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #667
Hed_Kandi
BANDITO

Likes (Received): 2668

Of the 4 candidate cities, Dubai is in my opinion the least worthy to host Expo 2020. It is not so much a matter of how great a city can be for an expo but rather how great an expo can be for a city - in this regard Dubai is the least deserving.

bozenBDJ liked this post
Hed_Kandi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #668
JHONJACK

Likes (Received): 34

edit

Last edited by JHONJACK; October 29th, 2013 at 05:40 AM.
JHONJACK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #669
Yako1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Well ur right on this one but who knows maybe if the city wins the expo that will push it to change its flawed laws to the better

Well if you think about this, the UAE has been given ample opportunities in the past, ever since they started building those supertall, F1 and other touristy projects.. What makes you think they will suddenly change this time..
Yako1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #670
Gabriel900
Soul Cleanser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako1 View Post
Well if you think about this, the UAE has been given ample opportunities in the past, ever since they started building those supertall, F1 and other touristy projects.. What makes you think they will suddenly change this time..
I really think this is a problem believe me in Dubai and I further asked and it turns out showing passionate affection in public even for married heterosexual couples might cause problem for them (I'm talking abt passionate kissing) Anw you have the freedom to do whatever you like in ur hotel room and no one will complain it is just the country laws ... Believe me I never felt or faced any problems and most of my vacations are spent in Dubai with my girlfriend.
But I still hope they change the laws although I don't really feel they are a major problem.

Cheers
Old October 28th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #671
ekat99

Likes (Received): 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
Of the 4 candidate cities, Dubai is in my opinion the least worthy to host Expo 2020. It is not so much a matter of how great a city can be for an expo but rather how great an expo can be for a city - in this regard Dubai is the least deserving.
Exactly

and stop posting pictures and videos about dubai we know how modern dubai is and how it looks...

bruxharris liked this post
ekat99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #672
Yako1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
I really think this is a problem believe me in Dubai and I further asked and it turns out showing passionate affection in public even for married heterosexual couples might cause problem for them (I'm talking abt passionate kissing) Anw you have the freedom to do whatever you like in ur hotel room and no one will complain it is just the country laws ... Believe me I never felt or faced any problems and most of my vacations are spent in Dubai with my girlfriend.
But I still hope they change the laws although I don't really feel they are a major problem.

Cheers
Yes I know, the UAE is better than Saudi Arabia and few other muslim countries, but you still might wanna be careful especially if u live and work there.. they have also put up those signs up in shopping malls encouraging ppl to 'cover up' and stuff like that..

I'd also like overseas workers, esp temporary construction workers and maids, to get better protection..

Also, those incidents involving women getting raped and then getting punished, like as if its fault.. I hope those laws change too

Last edited by Yako1; October 29th, 2013 at 06:21 AM.
Yako1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #673
city of the future
city of the future

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
Lets no bash anyone's city, This is starting to be very negative again
city of the future no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #674
Gutovsky

Likes (Received): 2673

I don't think it was his intention... And I understand his point. Dubai is so new and innovative already that it would benefit very little from the Expo. Its greatest achievement would be having yet another outstanding equipment after the fair, while the other cities would reurbanize the area where the event will be held, much to the example of past ones (Lisbon, Seville, Yeosu, Astana, even Shanghay). I mean, Dubai doesn't need it because it has power to develop the area without the Expo. If the true values of the BIE are to be met, then the Expo should be held in a place that wishes to face great challenges of the humanity.

But then again, I am a very biased person!

caiocco, ekat99 liked this post
Gutovsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #675
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 298

When is it? NOV what?
Puppetgeneral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #676
Moss@d
Pending

Likes (Received): 2892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetgeneral View Post
When is it? NOV what?
27th

".בְּאֵין תַּחְבֻּלוֹת יִפָּל עָם וּתְשׁוּעָה בְּרֹב יוֹעֵץ"
משלי י"א:י"ד
Moss@d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #677
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 435

I am expecting a baby boy on the 15th of Nov , so possibly by the 27th he will smile at me when i make strange sounds at him , so i think Dubai should win , it will be the happiness of winning + happiness of having a child

#goodenoughreason4DubaiTOwin

GoldStone Report.

city of the future liked this post
Dubai_Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #678
Hed_Kandi
BANDITO

Likes (Received): 2668

The odds of Izmir being nominated as the host city of Expo 2020 are quite null primarily due to the fact that Antalya has already been awarded with hosting the 2016 World Horticulture Expo. It is doubtful that the BIE would award Turkey with dual nominations is such a short span of time.
Hed_Kandi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #679
DR.SHREJMAN
Big Thing

Likes (Received): 55

are you guy mad? the result is obvious ..in fact it has always been… DUBAI has the power and the capacity to host such event…i am not saying that turkey or brazil can not host it but what they can add to it as an event…historically speaking IBE always looked for the financial benefit …where the money comes from? DUBAI BABY…. dubai achieved a lot and no body can take that away from it or deny it…. those 3 Cities can host anything anytime ….but …..
DR.SHREJMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #680
Moss@d
Pending

Likes (Received): 2892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Boy View Post
I am expecting a baby boy on the 15th of Nov , so possibly by the 27th he will smile at me when i make strange sounds at him , so i think Dubai should win , it will be the happiness of winning + happiness of having a child

#goodenoughreason4DubaiTOwin
May it come in a good hour, that your labor goes alright and your recovery quick and safe. May your child be born healthy and in the future make you proud.

But, then again, since you mentioned it, why don't you name him/her "Expo"? That would be a very nice touch! hahahah

".בְּאֵין תַּחְבֻּלוֹת יִפָּל עָם וּתְשׁוּעָה בְּרֹב יוֹעֵץ"
משלי י"א:י"ד
Moss@d no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
expo 2020, thailand