daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #841
Yako1

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by what? View Post
I agree. Turkey is a world class country and Dubai is the city of the 21 century. People have to understand that oil wealth is not concentrated in Dubai. We do not have that much oil at all. It's Abu Dhabi (capital of UAE) who holds the 5th largest oil reserve in the world. They do not give Dubai any oil for free. Trust me on this. Dubai used its wealth to build a world class city while other gulf countries who are much richer than the whole UAE don't even have proper roads. That's the difference between Dubai and other gulf countries. We are blessed with our leaders. They share the wealth and spend money wisely.
Well, Abu Dhabi did help bail out Dubai during the economic crisis. Wonder what would have happened if not for good ol' Khalifa!

Not just the leaders, you are blessed with cheap labour from not too far away. And also a miniscule population with less not even 10 million people.

bozenBDJ liked this post
Yako1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #842
what?

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako1 View Post
Well, Abu Dhabi did help bail out Dubai during the economic crisis. Wonder what would have happened if not for good ol' Khalifa!

Not just the leaders, you are blessed with cheap labour from not too far away. And also a miniscule population with less not even 10 million people.
Yes but Dubai will pay all the money they got from Abu Dhabi back with interest, so there's no free lunch.
what? no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #843
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2617

I don't think Yako1 is out of line mentioning the human rights issue in Dubai, but what place on Earth doesn't have problems to solve?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #844
city of the future
city of the future

Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
And lo, the bust shouldn't be too far either!

We look forward to another few years of Human Rights violations! Sigh, what have the voters done, seriously!

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai...ch-528740.html
Stop trolling, I noticed you troll in the UAE section as well, Your too pissed your city didn't win. No city is perfect and Dubai has to be one of the better ones. Sore loser
city of the future no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #845
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Well, the thing is, with this win, Dubai will be more in the limelight of critics now and more people will talk about these issues. The same is happening in Qatar. I have hopes that the authorities in Dubai have a stronger will to address these concerns than Qatar, because let's be honest, most Qatar natives still have their minds in the 7th century.

P.S.: I asked for the thread title to be changed to "DUBAI | EXPO 2020".

Yako1 liked this post

Last edited by droneriot; November 28th, 2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #846
Yako1

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
I don't think Yako1 is out of line mentioning the human rights issue in Dubai, but what place on Earth doesn't have problems to solve?
Thanks, Droneriot. But when you have a city/country planning to be the world's best, with many 'world's firsts' in this and that, then crap human rights laws are going to create big hole in that plan, isn't it?

As mentioned in your other post, I too do hope there will continue to be criticism and that the UAE will be held accountable for the way it treats ppl from poorer countries badly, doing anything it can to restrict publication of news or punish any criticism of the government.

Perhaps social media is the key? Or also having protests outside the embassies of different Gulf states, would help.

Last edited by Yako1; November 28th, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #847
Yako1

Quote:
Originally Posted by city of the future View Post
Stop trolling, I noticed you troll in the UAE section as well, Your too pissed your city didn't win. No city is perfect and Dubai has to be one of the better ones. Sore loser
No one said anything about being perfect anyway. Not really pissed though, 'cuz I (like many expats or foreign workers), in a way, Dubai today is a result of all our hard contributions. Just that the UAE government doesn't think that way unfortunately, their pride gets the better of them..

You don't know which is my city by the way and you don't even know me. As for 'sore loser', that title is for you
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #848
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Well, you shouldn't forget that in the Western World, most of our products are being produced in sweatshops in Southeast Asia, where conditions are not too dissimilar from the issues faced by workers in Dubai. The only difference is that in our case the issue isn't right in front of our noses but on the other side of the planets. I do think however we should remember that before we criticise other countries abusing cheap labour, because we basically do the same. I know, I do not know where you are from or if you actually are from the "Western World", but many Dubai critics do come from this area (Europe/North America) and conveniently forget our use of sweatshop labour for the things we like to buy when we get up on our high horses to judge conditions in places like Dubai.
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #849
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

UAE Expo 2020 win: Mad rush for free ice-cream at Baskin Robbins

Quote:
The leading ice-cream specialty shop had announced free scopes to celebrate Dubai's win at the Expo2020 bid

By Sneha May Francis
Published Thursday, November 28, 2013

Huge crowds were witnessed outside numerous Baskin Robbins outlets across Dubai.

The ice-cream speciality shop had announced free scopes of ice-cream for every customer between 1pm and 3pm to celebrate Dubai's win at the Expo2020 bid.

Residents quickly tweeted images and their experience after spotting the "ice-cream mob".

"I heard a commotion thinking it was an accident but when I looked across the road, kids were running towards BR for their free ice-cream," informed resident Natasha D'Souza.

"That's when I took a pic and tweeted it, my mentions are filled with awe of the crowd of people for their free ice cream."

"Right now finding an empty Baskin Robins is like finding water on Mars. Sigh,” tweeted another resident.

http://www.emirates247.com/business/...11-28-1.529606
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #850
Yako1

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Well, you shouldn't forget that in the Western World, most of our products are being produced in sweatshops in Southeast Asia, where conditions are not too dissimilar from the issues faced by workers in Dubai. The only difference is that in our case the issue isn't right in front of our noses but on the other side of the planets. I do think however we should remember that before we criticise other countries abusing cheap labour, because we basically do the same. I know, I do not know where you are from or if you actually are from the "Western World", but many Dubai critics do come from this area (Europe/North America) and conveniently forget our use of sweatshop labour for the things we like to buy when we get up on our high horses to judge conditions in places like Dubai.
Sorry Droneriot, post # 847 was not directed at you.

Anyway, there has been changes. Atleast the citizens/governments in Western countries do recognise, admit and attempt to fix the issue. Like for example, when that garment factory collapsed in Bangladesh, Australians were very critical of Australian companies (that use labour in Asian countries) and have presured the companies sign pacts.

There are many people who criticise Dubai in the East too, but many of them are living or are related to people living in the Gulf; They will not speak out, as they don't want to risk getting into trouble with the authorities there.

Right, I will leave it at that. Have a good evening.
Old November 28th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #851
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3400

I will visit Dubai during the Expo as i have been in Shanghai during the Expo there

Hope that the City will growth faster again

Orion602 liked this post
Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #852
MFÖ
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

It was years ago clear Dubai will win.

So no suprise.

Good news for the Gulf States

EXPO 2020 Dubai
Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup
MFÖ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #853
MFÖ
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Icewave, owenrita121 liked this post
MFÖ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #854
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Now that Dubai has won the hosting rights for the 2020 Universal Exposition, the site for the expo will be located on a 438-hectare site next to the Al Maktoum International Airport. I heard it's supposed to be at the site of the Dubai Trade Center Jebel Ali.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 02:30 AM   #855
paradise at Tagus
7 years

Likes (Received): 54321

Dubai chosen for World Expo 2020 with HOK-led master plan

http://www.bustler.net/index.php/art...d_master_plan/

Congratulations!

A realidade é sempre mais vasta do que a compreensão
Jorge de Sena, Sinais de Fogo
paradise at Tagus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #856
cilindr0

Likes (Received): 725

Nice masterplan, however I think that its location is a little bit odd. I think it would be in the middle of nowhere... having so much empty space on the city looks weird for me. Maybe it would have been better to use one of the palms build but not used for this project, to make this expo really an unforgettable point on the history.

kevin87 liked this post
cilindr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #857
Yako1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilindr0 View Post
Nice masterplan, however I think that its location is a little bit odd. I think it would be in the middle of nowhere... having so much empty space on the city looks weird for me. Maybe it would have been better to use one of the palms build but not used for this project, to make this expo really an unforgettable point on the history.
The palm is full.. there are houses and the atlantis hotel built on it already.. do have a look at the satellite view on google maps.
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #858
cilindr0

Likes (Received): 725

Quote:
The palm is full.. there are houses and the atlantis hotel built on it already.. do have a look at the satellite view on google maps.
I was not talking about Palm Jumeirah...

kevin87 liked this post
cilindr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #859
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

Alright Dubai won the bid then, guess i don't to the Dubai EXPO .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 01:46 PM   #860
brainsound

Likes (Received): 48

EXPO Jobs

Does anybody know if this is the official/serious site to apply for an EXPO-Job?
Thanks a lot for your answer!

http://expo2020fans.com/jobs/vacancies
brainsound no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
expo 2020, thailand