daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 11th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #21
Boca J

Likes (Received): 0

Euro 2020

You can only use a maximum of 2 stadiums per city according to UEFA so you would have to rule out Ibrox or Celtic. Plus UEFA like to see a spread of cities, hence using Aberdeen.

I also stated that the GAA will want Croke Park back for the Leinster hurling and football finals in July. Thats why I suggested using Croke Park for the opening ceremony and then giving the semi finals and finals to Wales and Scotland.

Plus when Croke Park is all seater (i.e. seats in Hill 16) it is not bigger than Millenium Stadium.

If you look at the 2 Welsh groups some of the games will be played at Celtic Park as I all ready stated to take the pressure off the Welsh.

The big thing behind all this is that this tournament could be done.
Boca J no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 11th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #22
JD47

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca J View Post
Plus when Croke Park is all seater (i.e. seats in Hill 16) it is not bigger than Millenium Stadium.
Croke Park is bigger then the Millenium Stadium already. The Hill has not been developed and it probaly wont be which would leave Croke Park the same size and if Hill 16 is developed then Croke Park would become a 90,000+ stadium which is bigger then the Millenium.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #23
Seravia

Likes (Received): 5

JD, to host international soccer matches Croke Park needs to be all seater, which means they put temporary seating on the Hill. This means the capacity is reduced down to around 70, 000. The Millennium Stadium is the biggest all-seater.
Seravia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #24
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seravia View Post
JD, to host international soccer matches Croke Park needs to be all seater, which means they put temporary seating on the Hill. This means the capacity is reduced down to around 70, 000. The Millennium Stadium is the biggest all-seater.
Yes but if it is upgraded which it very well could do for the Euro's would make it a 90,000+ seater.
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #25
plank007

Likes (Received): 24

Are we forgetting about Belfast? By maybe 2020 we might have a decent International stadium....
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #26
thebig C

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
You can only use a maximum of 2 stadiums per city according to UEFA so you would have to rule out Ibrox or Celtic. Plus UEFA like to see a spread of cities, hence using Aberdeen.

I also stated that the GAA will want Croke Park back for the Leinster hurling and football finals in July. Thats why I suggested using Croke Park for the opening ceremony and then giving the semi finals and finals to Wales and Scotland.

If you look at the 2 Welsh groups some of the games will be played at Celtic Park as I all ready stated to take the pressure off the Welsh.

The big thing behind all this is that this tournament could be done.
Some good points, also thanks for your comprehensive opening post.

I think you are wrong on one point....Croke Park with a completed 4th stand or even a converted Hill 16 would be bigger then the Milennium. If you take the sizes of the other stands and extrapolate that onto Hill 16, a full tiered stand would bring capacity to about 94500. Even without the upper tiers it would be late 70s/ early 80s.

On the basis that its the biggest stadium I think it would be in with a chance of hosting the Final or at least the 3rd/4th play-off. Although, something tells me that the Scots as the prime movers behind the bid might want the final.

C
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #27
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
Are we forgetting about Belfast? By maybe 2020 we might have a decent International stadium....
Casement is the only option. Even then thats doubtful assuming the GAA go for their usual bargain basement approach to Stadia!

Realistically, if a North Irish venue were to be used it would have to be Casement or a new-build to meet the 30k requirement. Ravenhill will only hold 18k after expansion likewise I think the revamped windsor will hold 20-25.
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #28
plank007

Likes (Received): 24

The GAA would have to be given a shit load of money to allow Croker to be used or maybe Hill 16 built and paid for by the Irish government to allow Croker to be used. Just like they got the IRFU and FAI to pay for the flood lights in return for using Croker whilst Lansdowne was being redeveloped.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #29
odlum833

Likes (Received): 617

Quote:

Have you ever been in Croke Park? I have been in both. It's on a different scale to the Millenium Stadium. It's quite a bit bigger. Though one end is a terrace.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #30
Boca J

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Have you ever been in Croke Park? I have been in both. It's on a different scale to the Millenium Stadium. It's quite a bit bigger. Though one end is a terrace.

Yes I have been to both stadiums a number of times. The GAA do not need and there are no plans in place to make the stadium bigger. So when Croke Park put in the temporary seats as previously done for previous soccer matches in Croke Park the capacity is less than the Millenium. I donīt have any favourtism towards the Millenium stadium its just fact.
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #31
odlum833

How is that possible when Croke Park is physically a bigger stadium? The seated capacity is 73,500 (83,000 in total) as it is with three sides complete. Seated capacity at Millenium stadium is 74,500 with all sides completed. With Hill 16 seated it would be comfortably bigger. It's obvious - GAA pitches are larger than rugby and soccer pitches. That's why the area of the stadium is so big. The Millenium stadium "only" holds 74,500 seated as it is. I have nothing against the Millenium stadium either btw! Just sayin..

Old June 12th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #32
Boca J

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
How is that possible when Croke Park is physically a bigger stadium? The seated capacity is 73,500 (83,000 in total) as it is with three sides complete. Seated capacity at Millenium stadium is 74,500 with all sides completed. With Hill 16 seated it would be comfortably bigger. It's obvious - GAA pitches are larger than rugby and soccer pitches. That's why the area of the stadium is so big. The Millenium stadium "only" holds 74,500 seated as it is. I have nothing against the Millenium stadium either btw! Just sayin..
The statement below is from Croke Park wiki:

The fully redeveloped Hill has a capacity of around 9,000, bringing the overall capacity of the stadium to 82,300. This made the stadium the third-largest in the European Union, after Camp Nou in Barcelona and Wembley Stadium in London. However, the presence of terracing means that for competitive soccer, the capacity is reduced to approximately 73,500, due to FIFA's statutes stating that competitive games must be played in all-seater stadiums.

So again your wrong about Croke Park.
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #33
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
I would like to see something built in Belfast too. I would love to see a brand new 60k seater built up there or something. Hey mabye you can have the Bertie Bowl. That looked impressive. The good thing about this bid is that when you look at other countries that host finals, they all have to built some brand new stadium but we haven't. Thats why I like this bid. Upgrade all our stadiums and we will be fine but I would love to see a new idea up north.

What I would love is for Ireland to host it. So its a joint bid between the two of us and we can build a few new stadiums mainly in the north. We would need something like 9 stadiums between us. We could already have a possible six stadiums(ssome upgraded of coure) and all we would need is two or three new ones which would be expensive but the two nation could share the burden. That would be class would it not.
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #34
JD47

Quote:

The fully redeveloped Hill has a capacity of around 9,000, bringing the overall capacity of the stadium to 82,300. This made the stadium the third-largest in the European Union, after Camp Nou in Barcelona and Wembley Stadium in London. However, the presence of terracing means that for competitive soccer, the capacity is reduced to approximately 73,500, due to FIFA's statutes stating that competitive games must be played in all-seater stadiums.

Yes but that would not be the case if the Hill was upgraded which I think it would if we got the Euro bid. The goverment or the FAI would pay for it I would imagine.
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #35
albionfagan

Likes (Received): 550

Would the GAA really allow football at Croke Park? I know they allowed Rugby, but that was a one off special occasion which was fiercely opposed by many.
albionfagan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #36
odlum833

Quote:

Well hold on - you are trying to say the Millenium Stadium is bigger than Croke Park. It simply is not bigger than Croke Park. Croke Park is massive. Anyone who visited the two stadiums would fully understand that very quickly. Also temporary seating is completely different to built in seating and I can safely say that if Hill 16 had proper seating it would be comfortably bigger. The Millenium Stadium with all sides completed has a seating capacity of 74,500. Croke Park, not fully developed, 82,300. If that side was completed fully you are talking 100,000 seated. That's how much bigger it is. The stadium completed so far is an entirely different scale.

Last edited by odlum833; June 12th, 2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #37
thebig C

Quote:
Yes I have been to both stadiums a number of times. The GAA do not need and there are no plans in place to make the stadium bigger. So when Croke Park put in the temporary seats as previously done for previous soccer matches in Croke Park the capacity is less than the Millenium. I donīt have any favourtism towards the Millenium stadium its just fact.
Some good info on this link regarding Croke Parks capacity "issues"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056009187
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #38
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionfagan View Post
Would the GAA really allow football at Croke Park? I know they allowed Rugby, but that was a one off special occasion which was fiercely opposed by many.

I think attitudes are changing....although the Northern branches of the GAA are very notably against reform....read into that what you will

Personally, I am one of those who thinks that the GAAs quasi-nationalistic stance in the past has ruined Irelands chances of competeing in sports on the International Stage...which in itself is curiously anti-nationalistic. However, despite everything you may accuse the GAA of, being wreckless when it comes to money isn't one of them. Put simply, this has the potential to be a big money spinner for the GAA which in turn will fund and continue their amateur structure.

C
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #39
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionfagan View Post
The GAA have allowed rugby and football to be played at Croke Park just as long as it didn't interfere with the GAA. It would be interfering with the GAA if the Euro's was played there as it would be in the summer but their minds could be changed because a lot of money would be involved and maybe an upgrade of Hill 16 financed by the Irish goverment or the FAI. Plus they could work around the GAA fixtures and the Euro fixtures. It could be done but both mind sets need to be on the same page.
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #40
Boca J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
I would like to see something built in Belfast too. I would love to see a brand new 60k seater built up there or something. Hey mabye you can have the Bertie Bowl. That looked impressive. The good thing about this bid is that when you look at other countries that host finals, they all have to built some brand new stadium but we haven't. Thats why I like this bid. Upgrade all our stadiums and we will be fine but I would love to see a new idea up north.

What I would love is for Ireland to host it. So its a joint bid between the two of us and we can build a few new stadiums mainly in the north. We would need something like 9 stadiums between us. We could already have a possible six stadiums(ssome upgraded of coure) and all we would need is two or three new ones which would be expensive but the two nation could share the burden. That would be class would it not.

My suggestion of using 3 existing stadiums that will be in place whether Euro 2020 get the go ahead or not is the way to go.

Your suggestion of upgrading 6 (which ones?) and building 2-3 new stadiums would bankrupt the country and create a lot of white elephants.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: