daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South



Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #41
Boca J
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
The GAA have allowed rugby and football to be played at Croke Park just as long as it didn't interfere with the GAA. It would be interfering with the GAA if the Euro's was played there as it would be in the summer but their minds could be changed because a lot of money would be involved and maybe an upgrade of Hill 16 financed by the Irish goverment or the FAI. Plus they could work around the GAA fixtures and the Euro fixtures. It could be done but both mind sets need to be on the same page.

Previously stated only 2 games happen in Croke Park in June. The quarter finals and semi finals of the Leinster football. Both games get low attendances that could be accommodated in other provincial grounds like Portlaoise or Navan.

Also Hill 16 cannot be developed any further because of the railway track behind it.
Boca J no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #42
Boca J
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Well hold on - you are trying to say the Millenium Stadium is bigger than Croke Park. It simply is not bigger than Croke Park. Croke Park is massive. Anyone who visited the two stadiums would fully understand that very quickly. Also temporary seating is completely different to built in seating and I can safely say that if Hill 16 had proper seating it would be comfortably bigger. The Millenium Stadium with all sides completed has a seating capacity of 74,500. Croke Park, not fully developed, 82,300. If that side was completed fully you are talking 100,000 seated. That's how much bigger it is. The stadium completed so far is an entirely different scale.
Croke Park cannot develop Hill 16 because of the railway track behind the stand and they have stated that they have no plans to increase the capacity. When soccer matches were held at Croke Park the seating capacity was 73,500 hence there is a greater seating capacity at the Millenium Stadium than Croke Park for soccer matches.

So once again you are wrong.
Boca J no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #43
odlum833
Registered User
 
odlum833's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 8,233
Likes (Received): 552

Temporary seating. So, no I am not wrong. You are trying to claim that the Millenium Stadium is physically a bigger stadium - it isn't. It's as simple as that. Croke Park is not just a stadium - it has other uses built in - conference centres, museum etc. And I don't know what the GAA are going to do with Hill 16. The railway does not prevent development. Anything can be done by structural engineering.



Maybe the pictures will give an idea of what i'm talking about wrt the difference in dimensions of the stadiums - it's built to a larger scale. Also the pitch is bigger too.







I can tell you have not been in the stadium. It's some experience. You should go there sometime.


BTW I love the Millenium Stadium - I think it's fantastic - I have been there twice. But it's not as big as Croke Park. You really have to visit the two to see that. Croke Park at pitch level is like your in a canyon.
__________________
Ireland forum is here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Last edited by odlum833; June 12th, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #44
plank007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,659
Likes (Received): 21

Croke Park is ALOT bigger than the Millennium stadium. Redo Hill 16 it would be close to 100 thousand.

Both stadiums are fantastic and a credit to each nation.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #45
Boca J
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
Croke Park is ALOT bigger than the Millennium stadium. Redo Hill 16 it would be close to 100 thousand.

Both stadiums are fantastic and a credit to each nation.

I have watched Munster and Ireland play in Millenium Stadium and I have been to Croke Park All Ireland finals and semi's many times.

Croke Park is physically bigger yes. But because FIFA / UEFA do not allow standing at soccer matches, seats are put in Hill 16 reducing the capacity down to 73,500. How many times do I have to repeat this. Just read this very slowly.
Boca J no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #46
plank007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,659
Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca J View Post
But because FIFA / UEFA do not allow standing at soccer matches, seats are put in Hill 16 reducing the capacity down to 73,500. How many times do I have to repeat this. Just read this very slowly.
Croker is not a soccer stadium, never was a soccer stadium and was never designed to be a soccer stadium. The Millennium stadium has a larger capacity for soccer only, for all other sporting events and concerts Croker has a far larger capacity. This is simple.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #47
plank007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,659
Likes (Received): 21

England are considering a bid for 2020 also - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/davidbond...id_bond_1.html
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #48
JD47
Registered User
 
JD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,686
Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca J View Post
My suggestion of using 3 existing stadiums that will be in place whether Euro 2020 get the go ahead or not is the way to go.

Your suggestion of upgrading 6 (which ones?) and building 2-3 new stadiums would bankrupt the country and create a lot of white elephants.
I see your point and that is the problem. For example we could upgrade Croke Park, maybe Tallaght stadium, Thomond Park and a few up in the north. Plus I was saying a stadium or two could be built in the north. Build the Bertie Bowl up there.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #49
JD47
Registered User
 
JD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,686
Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca J View Post
Also Hill 16 cannot be developed any further because of the railway track behind it.
That is bull. There is a problem there because of the railway line but that doesn't mean its impossible to build on it. Engineering is an amazing thing. They can almost do anything now. Yes the GAA said they didn't have any plans to develope it at the moment but if Euro 2020 gets the go ahead then I think it will be built on. The FAI could even agree to fund it. So therefore if that happend then Croke Park would be bigger then the Millenium for football games.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #50
plank007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,659
Likes (Received): 21

Does anyone know roughy how much it would cost to redevelop Hill 16?

It looks like they'd have to buy well over 30 properties to accommodate the new stand and the new entrances to it.

That could run into 10s of millions just acquire properties I expect. However now is the time for the GAA to start scooping up property whilst its still cheap.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #51
JD47
Registered User
 
JD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,686
Likes (Received): 189

I think they would need to buy a bit more then 30 properties because we need to thing of the fact that they would need to move the railway line or build over it anf they would need a new entrance and a car park and I would think a new road. I think the whole project could cost them around €70 million or so but that is just a complete guess.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #52
Boca J
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
Croker is not a soccer stadium, never was a soccer stadium and was never designed to be a soccer stadium. The Millennium stadium has a larger capacity for soccer only, for all other sporting events and concerts Croker has a far larger capacity. This is simple.

Exactly, your correct in everything you said. Millenium is only bigger for soccer.
Boca J no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #53
Boca J
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
That is bull. There is a problem there because of the railway line but that doesn't mean its impossible to build on it. Engineering is an amazing thing. They can almost do anything now. Yes the GAA said they didn't have any plans to develope it at the moment but if Euro 2020 gets the go ahead then I think it will be built on. The FAI could even agree to fund it. So therefore if that happend then Croke Park would be bigger then the Millenium for football games.

Croke Park as it stands is more than big enough to host Euro 2020. Any expansion would be a waste of money that could be better spent on other projects (i.e. Pairc Ui Chaoimh may be?)
Boca J no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #54
Karldiff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 733
Likes (Received): 20

Its been interesting following this thread. I won't go into the merits of the Millenium Stadium v Croke Park as I have never been to Croke Park. Regardless of the size issues I think both stadiums would do a Euro championship final justice.

I really don't think UEFA would contemplate a 3 nation bid unless there is no other option. In any event I think the Welsh FA are concentrating on a bid for the U21's. There are enough stadiums already to make that a flier - Mil Stad, Swansea, Cardiff City stadium, Racecourse, Parc y Scarlets, Parc Eirias, Rodney Parade etc. It would involve minimal outlay as well. Thats what I've heard anyway.
Karldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #55
JamesWales
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: City of Cardiff
Posts: 2,153
Likes (Received): 0

I've been to both. The Millennium stadium is better in many ways (location, the roof, all-seater (although I personally like standing) but Croke Park is certainly bigger.

Let's get the tournament before deciding where the final is!

I think a 3 team event is a go-er personally.
JamesWales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #56
JD47
Registered User
 
JD47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,686
Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
I've been to both. The Millennium stadium is better in many ways
I have to disagree with you there. Croke Park is great because its huge.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:38 PM   #57
thebig C
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,571
Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
I think they would need to buy a bit more then 30 properties because we need to thing of the fact that they would need to move the railway line or build over it anf they would need a new entrance and a car park and I would think a new road. I think the whole project could cost them around €70 million or so but that is just a complete guess.
The houses are the biggest issue. The railway line is comparitively simple. Remember the built over the DART line at the Aviva.
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:25 PM   #58
mmcn90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
The houses are the biggest issue. The railway line is comparitively simple. Remember the built over the DART line at the Aviva.
I'd love to see it happen but thats a different scenario. The dart line at the aviva is at Ground Level, similar to the line that runs behind the canal at the Davin end of Croke Park. The line at the hill end is raised, I'm not an engineer or architect but I'd imagine that would cause a headache.

Imagine if they fitted a roof like this in Croker, that would be awesome

Warsaw Stadium Roof
mmcn90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 02:06 PM   #59
thebig C
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,571
Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcn90 View Post
I'd love to see it happen but thats a different scenario. The dart line at the aviva is at Ground Level, similar to the line that runs behind the canal at the Davin end of Croke Park. The line at the hill end is raised, I'm not an engineer or architect but I'd imagine that would cause a headache.

Imagine if they fitted a roof like this in Croker, that would be awesome

Warsaw Stadium Roof
A-ha...I had forgotten about that issue. Its been so long since I've been out that way. Still, not an insurmountable obstacle in the context of hosting a European Championship.
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #60
hitmanhart
Registered User
 
hitmanhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 64
Likes (Received): 0

From an irish footballing perspective it would be better off that we invest any money into the league of ireland rather than waste it on hosting the euros. Too many clubs have falling by the way side in recent years. Clubs like monaghan, kildare, kilkenny and galway to name but a few. For us to start competing against even the likes of Croatia we need a league that is sustainable and competitive. There needs to be a league that produces and trains players capable of playing at an international level.

The lack of interest shown from the FAI towards the league is the biggest handicap to Irish football and co-hosting the Euros wont change that.
hitmanhart no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu