daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #61
munster rugby

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
I would love to have the Euro's here. What a boost it wold be for everyone. The only bad thing about the bid is that Scotland want the final which I do not agree with. I think Croke Park should be put forward and if the GAA dont allow it that the goverment should step in and put it in anyway. Croke Park should be the place for the final and if they were to develope the Hill then that could go p to a 100,000 seater for the Euro's final and maybe even a CL final if we cold get it. Its all about the tourism to the goverment so they should go for this. I have a feeling that if we do go for this with Scotland and Wales that it could go a bit like I want my stadium to host the final between the three countries. I hope it happens anyway.
why in the name of god would we want croker developed into a 100,000 seater stadium, its ridiculous things like this that crippled the irish economy. First of all we dont need a stadium that big, secondly it would take a long time to pay off the cost of developing it, people living behind hill 16 would never allow it, the gaa and goverment would be better investing money into modernising other stadiums around the country
munster rugby no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 25th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #62
munster rugby

Quote:
I see your point and that is the problem. For example we could upgrade Croke Park, maybe Tallaght stadium, Thomond Park and a few up in the north. Plus I was saying a stadium or two could be built in the north. Build the Bertie Bowl up there.
Are you completely crackers :O im glad ur not running the country, tallaght stadium would have to be upgraded from 6000 to 30,000 just for a few games once in a lifetime shamrock rovers are not going to fill that every week. Building a few in the north, first of all northern ireland have nothing to do with this bid im sure theyd love us building them a few stadiums and then we couldnt use them second of all who would use these stadiums, thank god that prick never built the bertie bowl he did enough damage f**king our economy
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #63
munster rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
Does anyone know roughy how much it would cost to redevelop Hill 16?

It looks like they'd have to buy well over 30 properties to accommodate the new stand and the new entrances to it.

That could run into 10s of millions just acquire properties I expect. However now is the time for the GAA to start scooping up property whilst its still cheap.
do you think it is that simple, there are families living in those houses they will never buy them it would be complete madness.. why would they want the stadium any bigger, croke park is not like camp nou which hosts 20 games a season with 80 90 thousand plus capacities.
Old August 25th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #64
thebig C

Likes (Received): 125

Hey Munster Rugby

Jez mate.....take it easy. People are only offering suggestions!

It seems like Croke Park is a particular bug-bear with you

C
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #65
munster rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
Hey Munster Rugby

Jez mate.....take it easy. People are only offering suggestions!

It seems like Croke Park is a particular bug-bear with you

C
hey c, Sorry if i sound harsh but if we're bidding for a european championship ideas like these will not help us. croke park is perfect as it is it does not need redeveloping, money should be spent on other stadiums around the country and transport.
Old August 25th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #66
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by munster rugby View Post
hey c, Sorry if i sound harsh but if we're bidding for a european championship ideas like these will not help us. croke park is perfect as it is it does not need redeveloping, money should be spent on other stadiums around the country and transport.
Whilst I do think Croke Park would actually be batter (at so many levels) as a 360 degree enclosed Stadium, I am inclined to agree with you that transport and other facilities should be the priority as part of a bid.

C
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #67
JD47

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
Are you completely crackers :O im glad ur not running the country, tallaght stadium would have to be upgraded from 6000 to 30,000 just for a few games once in a lifetime shamrock rovers are not going to fill that every week. Building a few in the north, first of all northern ireland have nothing to do with this bid im sure theyd love us building them a few stadiums and then we couldnt use them second of all who would use these stadiums, thank god that prick never built the bertie bowl he did enough damage f**king our economy
Eh calm down princess. I was joking about the Bertie Bowl anyway. There is nothing wrong with upgrading Croke Park. It can be done. It will cost money but that money would be made back if we got the Euro's. So no, I am not crackers for thinking that ugrading stadiums is a good idea.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #68
odlum833

Likes (Received): 608

I remember when Michael McDowell described the Bertie Bowl as a Ceaușescu style project

I would have liked to have seen it built though I have to say.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #69
munster rugby

Quote:
Eh calm down princess. I was joking about the Bertie Bowl anyway. There is nothing wrong with upgrading Croke Park. It can be done. It will cost money but that money would be made back if we got the Euro's. So no, I am not crackers for thinking that ugrading stadiums is a good idea.
ok genius, how much money will we make from euros and how much will we spend on croke park? oh and all they people who live behind hill 16 what would be done there princess? :*
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #70
odlum833

To my knowledge UEFA are having problems attracting interest from countries for Euro 2012. Seems no one really wants to host it. They might even reopen the interested bids phase. Also there will be 24 teams in the tournament instead of 16......very expensive to host for a regional tournament i'd suggest.

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #71
Boca J

I am so glad Munster Rugby has come on board here because he is the only one that is practical and calls it as it should be. I put a post on previously on the second page about how best to structure Euro 2020 and I just got back a load of idiot comments. As I said previously Irelands best chance of hosting it is to use Croke Park and Aviva Stadium as they are and a re-developed Pairc Ui Chaoimh with Scotland having 4 stadiums and WAles having 3. Any other proposal from Ireland would only create white elephants and be a waste of money.
Boca J no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #72
JD47

Quote:
ok genius, how much money will we make from euros and how much will we spend on croke park? oh and all they people who live behind hill 16 what would be done there princess? :*
I dont know how much money it will cost but I would think that if the Hill was redeveloped, that the money from the Euro's and the GAA would cover that cost very quickly.

Oh and the people who live behind the Hill would be bought out of their houses. Its a very common thing that happens on this planet.
Old August 30th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #73
Boca J

Quote:
I dont know how much money it will cost but I would think that if the Hill was redeveloped, that the money from the Euro's and the GAA would cover that cost very quickly.

Oh and the people who live behind the Hill would be bought out of their houses. Its a very common thing that happens on this planet.
Seriously JD47 u need to stop with the Hill 16 arguement. U have made a lot of silly statements and can never back them up. To build a fully seated stand instead of Hill 16 would be a massive undertaking and would be a waste of money. Croke Park have done a feasibility study on this and it was a big no no.

The objective of this discussion is to get Euro 2020 to Ireland and not bankrupt the country.
Boca J no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #74
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca J View Post
Seriously JD47 u need to stop with the Hill 16 arguement. U have made a lot of silly statements and can never back them up. To build a fully seated stand instead of Hill 16 would be a massive undertaking and would be a waste of money. Croke Park have done a feasibility study on this and it was a big no no.

The objective of this discussion is to get Euro 2020 to Ireland and not bankrupt the country.
Its not silly at all. If we got the Euro's and upgraded the Hill, it wouldn't destroy the country. How much will it cost then? Please tell me.

Oh and I dont keep bringing it up. You and that other fella brought it up. I suggested it when the thread just started.
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #75
odlum833

How much could it be built for? 18 - €20m? Costs have come down significantly for construction projects since the 2008 construction peak.

Old August 31st, 2012, 12:35 PM   #76
munster rugby

Quote:
Its not silly at all. If we got the Euro's and upgraded the Hill, it wouldn't destroy the country. How much will it cost then? Please tell me.

Oh and I dont keep bringing it up. You and that other fella brought it up. I suggested it when the thread just started.
yes u did bring it up and face it, it would be completely stupid to redevelop. the cost of it would be 100 million easy between buying houses behind it, lowering the train line, demolishing hill 16 and building 20,000 stand in line with the rest of the stadium. The gaa have no intention of developing it as it would never be filled and cost them too much
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:01 PM   #77
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
How much could it be built for? 18 - €20m? Costs have come down significantly for construction projects since the 2008 construction peak.
I was quoted a figure a couple of years ago of 1 million for every 1000 seated capacity. This however relates to the new generation of system-built stadia that alot of league 1-3 teams in the UK have built. I assume Croker would be more expensive....certainly over 20.
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:21 PM   #78
JD47

Quote:
yes u did bring it up and face it, it would be completely stupid to redevelop. the cost of it would be 100 million easy between buying houses behind it, lowering the train line, demolishing hill 16 and building 20,000 stand in line with the rest of the stadium. The gaa have no intention of developing it as it would never be filled and cost them too much
That money would be made back up though. What part of that dont you understand? From the Euro's and the GAA, it would be made back in a couple of years. Plus, with CL finals and the Rugby world cup to.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:23 AM   #79
Xtreminal
Vote Yes Scotland

Likes (Received): 1541

Hi, guys from your opponent from Azerbaijan))

Does anybody know how strong this bid will be?
Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:31 PM   #80
PeteC

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
That money would be made back up though. What part of that dont you understand? From the Euro's and the GAA, it would be made back in a couple of years. Plus, with CL finals and the Rugby world cup to.
I heard they have to sell at least 30,000 tickets in order to over the cost of opening Croke Park for an event. Having a bigger stadium with a larger capacity would probably push the break even figure close to 40,000. The only matches were ticket sales could possibly exceed the current capacity are the two All Ireland finals each year. It does not make commercial sense for the GAA to reduce their profits for every other event in the year in order increase profits for two matches. Out of the 28 events held in Croker this year (including matches, concerts and the Eucharistic Congress), the extra capacity would increase profits on two of them but reduce profits on the other 26.

Its not going to happen, now lets never speak of this again.
PeteC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: