daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:06 PM   #121
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
LA is in term of economy the second city and number 4 worldwide, and don't forget the influence of LA, in media, fashion etc.
Eh. LA is only tops in the television industry now. In terms of feature film production, they have lost their edge to Canada, the UK and just a lot of location filming is done around the world. Even with animation, only Disney and Dreamworks are HQTR'ed there. Pixar is in northern California.

What fashion? Paris, Milan, New York and London still rule the fashion world.

Even in the amusement park industry, Orlando, FLA is king. They have the bigger and better parks there. And of course, other Disneylands and copies are found all over the world now.
Knitemplar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:31 PM   #122
zdaddy233

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitemplar View Post
Eh. LA is only tops in the television industry now. In terms of feature film production, they have lost their edge to Canada, the UK and just a lot of location filming is done around the world. Even with animation, only Disney and Dreamworks are HQTR'ed there. Pixar is in northern California.
Comparing a single cities to entire countries is a fallacy and renders your argument moot. Plus, all of those film production companies are still based out of LA (movies have been shot all over the world since the birth of movies anyways, it's not like LA ever had a true corner on the market).

Quote:
What fashion? Paris, Milan, New York and London still rule the fashion world.
At least in the US, New York and Los Angeles are relative equals; one will produce more of the cooler weather attire, and the other the warmer weather attire (you can guess which one fits each bill). That said, the more recent pop fashion trends have been almost exclusively from Los Angeles.

Quote:
Even in the amusement park industry, Orlando, FLA is king. They have the bigger and better parks there. And of course, other Disneylands and copies are found all over the world now.
the hell does this have to do with anything?
zdaddy233 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM   #123
Knitemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdaddy233 View Post
Comparing a single cities to entire countries is a fallacy and renders your argument moot. Plus, all of those film production companies are still based out of LA (movies have been shot all over the world since the birth of movies anyways, it's not like LA ever had a true corner on the market).
Oh, really? I don't know where you get your history from, but Hollywood was the dominant film-making capital of the world in the 30s, 40s, then somewhat in the 50s. But starting in the 50s, TV started to take over and then Hollywood sent out their units to film all those 70mm roadshow epics abroad. But u can find that from the right sources.

Actually, your skewed points render your argument moot.

Quote:
At least in the US, New York and Los Angeles are relative equals; one will produce more of the cooler weather attire, and the other the warmer weather attire (you can guess which one fits each bill). That said, the more recent pop fashion trends have been almost exclusively from Los Angeles.
I don't consider Danksins, all the workout-zumba outfits or cheap mall "outfits" as fashion. What designer is based in LA? The only one I can think of is boutique atelier Monique Lhuillier -- hey, that rhymes. Even Frederick's of Hollywood and the occasional Hollywood costume designer (like that Nolan Miller, I think) are now gone. Point rejected.

Quote:
the hell does this have to do with anything?
Because someone will try to argue that LA is king of the amusement-park industry and it isn't (Universal being the only one in there)--and I've headed them off at the pass.

Next illogical poster, please.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:36 PM   #124
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdaddy233 View Post
...At least in the US, New York and Los Angeles are relative equals; one will produce more of the cooler weather attire, and the other the warmer weather attire (you can guess which one fits each bill). That said, the more recent pop fashion trends have been almost exclusively from Los Angeles...
In what alternate universe is this true?

As others have posted, the fashion world is still dominated by London, NY, Paris and Milan. Then there's a drop off and you get LA, HK, etc.

Read this. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_929208.html
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:26 PM   #125
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 3580

Quote:
Dude!! This is 2012 Not 1200!! or whatever.
Who said anything about 1200. It's only been 90 years of relative weakness over the last 1500 years. Istanbul gets a pass and it hasn't exactly slipped into obscurity. This is a city of 14 million on its way back up.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; June 3rd, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:34 PM   #126
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Even in terms of pure recognizability, Chicago has far more markers of global significance and influence than Istanbul does. I'll leave it at that.
In insular north America I'd agree with you, but I think you'd be surprised what a high profile Istanbul still has in many other parts of the world. Istanbul went into decline relatively recently: 1922 with the fall of the Ottoman Empire. After 1500 years of being at the top these things don't get erased so quickly.

Rome and Athens are still very famous city despite losing their empires centuries ago. Istanbul had an empire far longer and lost it only 90 years ago.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:37 PM   #127
Knitemplar

Yes, do Rome and Athens have a catchy theme song like Istanbul??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNUsO...feature=fvwrel

That definitely puts Istanbul ahead in my book!

Old June 4th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #128
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
In what alternate universe is this true?
In this universe. New York may be better at high fashion, but who cares about that? So many high street fashion labels are from California it is unreal: Hollister, though New York based, is California fashion, and SoCal in general is a massive trend right now.
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #129
Knitemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
In this universe. New York may be better at high fashion, but who cares about that?
The trend-setters and people with money. Duh! Who else is buying high-end fashionwear? Who gets featured in the glossy magazines? Do you even look at Vogue? Hola? Vanity Fair? Town & Country? Where do you think LA's high society matrons and rich movie stars buy their premier outfits?

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na788...eature=related It's a 6-parter. It's very INFORMATIVE and sheds light on the haute couture world. Be patient.

Last edited by Knitemplar; June 4th, 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #130
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
In this universe. New York may be better at high fashion, but who cares about that? So many high street fashion labels are from California it is unreal: Hollister, though New York based, is California fashion, and SoCal in general is a massive trend right now.
I really can't think of a measure that puts the two on a level playing field. Most of the countries most well known brands are NY based. It is widely agreed the 4 fashion capitals of the world are London, NY, Milan and Paris, in no particular order.

And where a current trend originates from doesn't give that geographical location title of a fashion capital. If the farmer look, overalls, boots, plaid shirt, replace the socal trend, would that make Nebraska a fashion capital alongside New York?
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #131
Fitzrovian

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
In insular north America I'd agree with you, but I think you'd be surprised what a high profile Istanbul still has in many other parts of the world. Istanbul went into decline relatively recently: 1922 with the fall of the Ottoman Empire. After 1500 years of being at the top these things don't get erased so quickly.

Rome and Athens are still very famous city despite losing their empires centuries ago. Istanbul had an empire far longer and lost it only 90 years ago.
Famous, yes, but not especially significant anymore. These cities derive their importance primarily from historical and/or religious significance. But in terms of contemporary relevance, they are a bit of an afterthought -- compared to the big boys at least. This has nothing to do with "insular North America" but with the simple reality that Chicago is a top 10 global city by most measures, with significantly more influence across a number of areas. The only part of the world where Istanbul may have a higher profile than Chicago is at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, and in the muslim world.

90 years of decline take a toll. And vice versa. 90 years ago Hong Kong was nothing, but look at it now. Would you say that Istanbul has a "higher profile" than HK as well?

Last edited by Fitzrovian; June 4th, 2012 at 07:30 PM.
Fitzrovian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #132
Knitemplar

Quote:
Would you say that Istanbul has a "higher profile" than HK as well?
I am going to Istanbul later this week. That should immediately give it a higher significance than HK!

Always hated over-crowded HKG and their absolutely odious merchants.
Old June 5th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #133
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 2835

Quote:
Who said anything about 1200. It's only been 90 years of relative weakness over the last 1500 years. Istanbul gets a pass and it hasn't exactly slipped into obscurity. This is a city of 14 million on its way back up.
So is Lagos.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #134
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
So is Lagos.
But hasn't had an Empire for 1400 of the past 1500 years. You've either got extreme ADD or been sitting under the Florida sun too long.

Old June 5th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #135
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Famous, yes, but not especially significant anymore.
Not true at all.

Quote:
The only part of the world where Istanbul may have a higher profile than Chicago is at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, and in the muslim world.
Crossroads of Africa, Asia, and Europe as well as the bridge between the Christian, Muslim, and Jewish world. That's pretty much the bulk of the planet. Chicago has a higher profile in the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, and maybe a small handful of other western countries. We're not representative of how the world sees things.

Even in places like France, Istanbul has a far higher profile than Chicago. Say 'Chicago' in most places around the world and you'll be met by blank stares. They might know that Obama is from there, but the city doesn't register much beyond that.

Quote:
Would you say that Istanbul has a "higher profile" than HK as well?
They're more on an even footing. Hong Kong has come out of nowhere, but is a very famous city around the world (far more so than Chicago).

Last edited by isaidso; June 5th, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old June 5th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #136
Fitzrovian

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Not true at all.

Crossroads of Africa, Asia, and Europe as well as the bridge between the Christian, Muslim, and Jewish world. That's pretty much the bulk of the planet.
You are sweeping way too wide. Istanbul does NOT have a higher profile in the Christian and Jewish worlds which are highly westernized today (as is most of Asia).

Quote:

Even in places like France, Istanbul has a far higher profile than Chicago.
Doubt it. Maybe among its rapidly expanding muslim population, but not otherwise.

Quote:
Say 'Chicago' in most places around the world and you'll be met by blank stares. They might know that Obama is from there, but the city doesn't register much beyond that.
Baloney. Who have you been talking to?

Everyone has heard of Al Capone and Chicago mafia of the 20s and 30s, Michael Jordan, Oprah Winfrey... Chicago has feartured in thousands of Hollywood movies.

And what would people know about Istanbul? Since you are obvously talking about uneducated people, I doubt you will hear anything beyond "a big city somewhere in the third world." And if you are talking about educated people who will have some appreciation for Istanbul's history, they will likewise know about Chicago's preeminence as a global financial center, its educational institutions, its musical heritage, and its role in 20th century architecture.

Quote:
They're more on an even footing. Hong Kong has come out of nowhere, but is a very famous city around the world (far more so than Chicago).
So I guess the same logic you used to elevate Istanbul over Chicago does not apply to Hong Kong for some reason. Your logic comes down to "because I said so". Quite fitting

Last edited by Fitzrovian; June 5th, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Fitzrovian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #137
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 2835

He just hates everything about America .

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #138
I am he

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
New York City is much above these summer & winter olympics.

When you're mecca of basketball, football, ice hockey, baseball, you dont need Michael Phelps winning 8th gold metal to put the city is sports historys map forever.

I.O.C. is known for corruption & bribery to give mega cities the games. It has been well documented. NYC will rather built more iconic supertalls than waste valueble manhattan building soon to be abandoned summer olympics stadiums after olympics.
Yes, but I could equally say that London is the 'mecca' of football (soccer), And in reality, the English premier league is by far the biggest sporting league in the world, with much more fans from around the world watching than the NFL...London is hosting the UEFA Champion's league next year, the most watched sporting even aside the world cup/olympics (More popular than the superbowl) and London also is the home of the FA cup, and 3 of the biggest football teams in the world (Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal)
Football/soccer is bigger than all of the sports NYC is the 'mecca' of put together, it is the world sport, and London is not using the olympics to 'market itself' - I'm actually really glad London got the olympics, as the peope benefitting are the residents of Stratford where the olympic park is, the poorest area in the country and all the money goes to Stratford which is definitely a good thing
I am he no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #139
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 1591

btw Istanbul is now one of the 10 most visited cities on the planet, by international tourists (Antalya is actually higher, third in the world after Paris and London, and with more international tourists than NYC). It's the only country with two cities in the top 10. Istanbul is very famous - not to US tourists who are pretty averse to travelling to Islamic countries, but the rest of the world yes.
the spliff fairy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 02:34 AM   #140
Knitemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
btw Istanbul is now one of the 10 most visited cities on the planet, by international tourists (Antalya is actually higher, third in the world after Paris and London, and with more international tourists than NYC). It's the only country with two cities in the top 10. Istanbul is very famous - not to US tourists who are pretty averse to travelling to Islamic countries, but the rest of the world yes.
Well, I am going there tomorrow. Re your last asertion re other Yank tourists. No; a lot of the package tours this summer are selling out!! I got one of the last 2 spots for tomorrow's tour.