daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:47 AM   #761
mopc

Likes (Received): 12002

Today September 22, 2010

Tamanduateí (lines 2 & 10) open for business

[IMG]http://i50.************/2uxu3bb.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i50.************/2uxu3bb.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i50.************/2uxu3bb.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i50.************/2uxu3bb.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i50.************/2uxu3bb.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i50.************/2uxu3bb.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i50.************/2uxu3bb.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i50.************/2uxu3bb.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i50.************/2uxu3bb.gif[/IMG]

by Luuke

mopc está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:55 AM   #762
mopc

more pics by overmundo

Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:01 AM   #763
mopc

Focusing on the new Line 10 part, by Luuuke

by Garciaex

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:07 AM   #764
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Chaos unraveled yesterday in Sao Paulo's metro. Thousands of passengers were stranded in vehicles when a non-explained fault halt trains on the Line 3 (Red). Passengers vandalized 15 vehicles, escaped through emergency exits and brought the line to a standstill in stations, tunnels and viaducts as the line had its energy cut off to prevent electrocution is disgruntled passengers escaping through emergency exists and broken windows.

No fire or accident happens: some train couldn't leave a station, other trains behind were stranded and stopped and the whole situation started. Line 3 operates with 84 sec. peak time intervals and inhumane, hazardous and explosive 9 pax/m² occupation of its cars.

Animal protection societies would cry out loud if animals were transported in such barbaric conditions. I'll post some pictures and videos here. Public transit is not functional in less developed countries where people are not prepared to follow (and give) orders and instructions in simple situations (trains stranded inside a tunnel), or to wait for another train instead of pressing people like they were stuffing a suitcase
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:23 AM   #765
Suburbanist
on the road

Quoted from its local thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyjammer View Post

Vídeos aqui e aqui.

E pra não ficar muito pesado o post: muitas imagens, algumas que serão "históricas, dO Dia Em Que A L3 Parou", com o povão se f*&%$#§, ,mais uma vez em menos de duas semanas, aqui.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago Costa View Post
Mim não entendeu essa parte.

Depende do que é para ser falado. Acabou de ter uma bem agora, e não saiu muito fora do tema principal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcio Staffa View Post
Problema atingiu a Linha 3-Vermelha do Metrô de São Paulo.
O funcionamento das 18 estações ficou prejudicado pela manhã.

Estação Luz da Companhia Paulista de Trens Metropolitanos (CPTM) lotada, na região central de São Paulo, na manhã desta terça-feira (21).

Estação Luz recebeu os passageiros que não conseguiram chegar às estações centrais da Linha 3-Vermelha do Metrô.

Imagem aérea mostra passageiros na linha próxima à Estação Dom Pedro II do Metrô, na região central de São Paulo.

Passageiros esperam pela reabertura da Estação Belém do Metrô, na zona leste de São Paulo, que por volta das 10h30 permanecia fechada para embarque.

Passageiros caminham ao lado do trem após pane no metrô de São Paulo.

Imagem aérea mostra os passageiros caminhando ao lado dos trens do metrô de São Paulo

Passageiros se aglomeram do lado de fora de trem do metrô de São Paulo após pane.

Passageiros aguardam regularização do sistema do metrô em estação de São Paulo
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:37 AM   #766
Suburbanist
on the road

Overcrowd is degrading the system

As you can see here. Again, livestock gets better service when transported than this. Appalling and unacceptable. Intervals are low, but trains can't cope with demand. Users, on their fault, don't dare do wait extra 15-30 minutes until they can board less crowded trains, as they should do (well, they should be driving cars instead, but that is another discussion)

Business as usual

Untrained staff couldn't handle the problems yesterday

It's a catastrophe waiting to happen... PSD will reduce the risk of accidental falls on the tracks, but nothing will prevent a stampede. Unsafe, unhealthy, dangerous.

Train travelling with open doors. Stations are so crowded that they don't dare to evacuate a train like this, as they should do.

PT and cities in developing countries that are designed around them are not a good fit. Fortunately rapidly expanding middle class in Brazil is buying more cars to avoid such inhumane experiences like this.

Last edited by Suburbanist; September 22nd, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:17 AM   #767
mopc

New train in line 1

New elevator for the disabled at Jabaquara station, line 1

Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:38 AM   #768
mopc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Chaos unraveled yesterday in Sao Paulo's metro. Thousands of passengers were stranded in vehicles when a non-explained fault halt trains on the Line 3 (Red). Passengers vandalized 15 vehicles, escaped through emergency exits and brought the line to a standstill in stations, tunnels and viaducts as the line had its energy cut off to prevent electrocution is disgruntled passengers escaping through emergency exists and broken windows.

No fire or accident happens: some train couldn't leave a station, other trains behind were stranded and stopped and the whole situation started. Line 3 operates with 84 sec. peak time intervals and inhumane, hazardous and explosive 9 pax/m² occupation of its cars.

Animal protection societies would cry out loud if animals were transported in such barbaric conditions. I'll post some pictures and videos here. Public transit is not functional in less developed countries where people are not prepared to follow (and give) orders and instructions in simple situations (trains stranded inside a tunnel), or to wait for another train instead of pressing people like they were stuffing a suitcase
This series of unusually frequent and dramatic breakdowns in the metro raises suspicions of sabotage by metro union members given the coming election in early October, where the current right-wing state government is far ahead in polls and these failures might damage its reputation, strongly associated with current metro expansion and improvements, and the left-wing opposition party might lose in the first turn of the elections.

Moreover it is bizarre we had this major breakdown at the same day the most important new station in the system to open this year was officially inaugurated, was it to offset the media attention to the state government? I hate conspiracy theories but it does seem suspicious and we have to wait to see what is going on. Please note that today's failure was "caused by a user who pushed the emergency button".

True that the system has breakdowns and is overcrowded, but we've had unusually severe, as of yet unexplained breakdowns in the system almost every 4 days for the past 2 months.

But overcrowding is actually a negative effect of a very positive situation: system improvement and integration plus economic growth.

Overcrowding started becoming the huge problem it is today, especially in Line 3, after the bus integration card was adopted in 2007, creating an incentive for people who previously only used busses to consider transfers with the Metro/CPTM network. In a matter of months from the adoption of discount integration cards, Metro/CPTM demand increased some 15%.

The CPTM system is currently doubling its rolling stock and improving several stations, aside from having built several new ones. In the early 90's, at the height of the system's degradation phase, CPTM demand was less than 500,000 passengers a day. By the year 2000, with new modern trains and free metro integration, it had jumped to 1,5 million. Today it stands above 2,5 million.

That's the dilemma of metro systems, once you improve their quality, they become flooded with former bus passengers since busses get stuck in traffic, metros don't. Improvement brings overcrowding and overcrowding degrades the system.

This situation will only improve once the actuall network and rolling stock start getting bigger, which is happening now but will take several years to have a major impact.

Last edited by mopc; September 22nd, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:24 PM   #769
mopc

CPTM line 12, east of Tatuapé

by SavianoMarcio
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:47 PM   #770
mopc

Line 2 by julio CAF

Last edited by mopc; October 13th, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM   #771
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
(well, they should be driving cars instead, but that is another discussion)
Another discussion? Really?
Face it, you are trying to latch onto this incident as one of your arguments for converting all of us into car-worshippers... In fact, the last words of your post reveal your true intentions:

Quote:
PT and cities in developing countries that are designed around them are not a good fit. Fortunately rapidly expanding middle class in Brazil is buying more cars to avoid such inhumane experiences like this.
I'm sorry my first post in this thread had to be this, but this is getting stupid. The solution is not to convert São Paulo into the idyllic American suburb where everybody drives everywhere. São Paulo's density and urban form would never be able to provide enough road space or parking to support all these vehicles. You would end up with ridiculous roadway congestion and absurd commute times. Your vision might work for some small city of a couple hundred thousand, but not for a growing metropolis of 10+ million.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:25 PM   #772
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

so, what happened?
did the system run out of electricity?

anyways it's just an exception happily!

god for SP that is improuving life quality of tens of millions paulistas with new lines better frequence and trains!

I would like to see pics of interior of "bicicletarios", I was wondering how to implement them in marginalised neighbourhoods of BA so bikes aren't stolen.

how do they work in SP?
Which protection messures do they have?

thanks!
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:31 PM   #773
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

ZCant they connect the purple line to the blue line? Seems incredibily odd that purple line is all by itself with no where to transfer to another line.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:08 AM   #774
mopc

Sao Paulo state governor Alberto Goldman rushes to get the train at Marechal Deodoro station, line 3, today, September 23, 2010, The World Day withou Cars.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:11 AM   #775
mopc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
ZCant they connect the purple line to the blue line? Seems incredibily odd that purple line is all by itself with no where to transfer to another line.
The purple line (line 5) is connected to line 9 (run by another CPTM) - that map above on this page only shows lines run by the Metro Company (CMSP).

This is the full map plus future lines for this decade including CPTM and CMSP:

This is the full network map EXACTLY as it stands today (no future extensions)

Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:16 AM   #776
mopc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luli Pop View Post
so, what happened?
did the system run out of electricity?

anyways it's just an exception happily!

god for SP that is improuving life quality of tens of millions paulistas with new lines better frequence and trains!

I would like to see pics of interior of "bicicletarios", I was wondering how to implement them in marginalised neighbourhoods of BA so bikes aren't stolen.

how do they work in SP?
Which protection messures do they have?

thanks!
I haven't read any details but it appears a T-shirt was stuck between doors and that activated an open door alarm that stopped the train between stations. So the flaw was not lack of investment in system maintenance, it was primarily user-caused. That the system is overcrowded (it was morning rush) only made it worse.

As for the "bicicletários" (bike parkings) at some stations, I believe I have posted inside pictures earlier, but can't find them right now. They work you pay a fee and they give you a padlock, but Ive never used them, I don't even live in SP city.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:01 AM   #777
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopc View Post
The purple line (line 5) is connected to line 9 (run by another CPTM) - that map above on this page only shows lines run by the Metro Company (CMSP).

This is the full map plus future lines for this decade including CPTM and CMSP:

This is the full network map EXACTLY as it stands today (no future extensions)

Very odd way to run a system. Two different companies running the same train is heard of, but man. I cant point my finger on it but it is weird. But hey if it works it works.

How is economic situation in Brazil right now? I am not sure whether Brazil is considered rich or poor...Looks very nice, so they cant be poor.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:15 AM   #778
mopc

Well the Metro Company (CMSP) runs its own purpose-built, mostly underground, high-efficiency lines, from 1 to 5.

CPTM was created to manage Sao Paulos suburban rail using old normal railroads that have a very different nature than the Metro system, they are just old railroads that cross the city, now used for passengers only, but until circa 1998 the CPTM rail system was very bad and had old dirty trains, etc. Now all trains run in good conditions and some are extremely modern, as the pictures show. Just in the period from 2007-2011, Sao Paulo is receiving 120 new trainsets.

Brazil's economic situation seems to be quite positive, if you read Brazilian and international news about it. There has been a palpable improvement in the past 5, 10 years and the income of the poorest has grown more than ever.

For example, from 2005 to 2010, the number of motor vehicles in Brazil grew an astounding 50%, from 40 million to over 60 million cars, trucks, buses and motorcycles in the country now.

Sao Paulo city had 4 million cars in the year 2000, now it has 8 million...

Much of that economic growth has been used to finance Sao Paulo's metro and the metros of other cities, but very insufficiently so far. Sao Paulo has seen the best expansion, but much is needed to be done. The city needs at least another 3 dense central lines, as the future expansion map shows above.

But other things like infant mortality and malnutrition have improved quite dramatically. They say extreme poverty (misery, hunger) can be eliminated in a matter of a few years.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:03 AM   #779
Martini87

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
As you can see here. Again, livestock gets better service when transported than this. Appalling and unacceptable. Intervals are low, but trains can't cope with demand. Users, on their fault, don't dare do wait extra 15-30 minutes until they can board less crowded trains, as they should do (well, they should be driving cars instead, but that is another discussion)
You contradict yourself all the time. You define yourself as a libertarian (at least your posts on the dutch suburbs thread suggest that), complaining that urban planners want to impose their opinions on people, and you basically decide that people should drive. Aren't you doing the very same thing you reject by always sabotaging transit systems and advocating for an urban style that basically forces people to drive cars?

And, specially in poor cities, investing in infrastructure for cars (like it has been done in SP in the last decades) reinforces the social inequalities and spatial segregation. Oh, I forgot you don't appear to mind about these things... Any way I feel SO MUCH happy that people like you are a very very little bitter minority, and the super right-wing-neoliberal positions you basically represent are being swept away from this country (at least in the federal level), maybe that's why you left... (oops, sorry for the pun!)

And a last thing: Encourage more people to drive cars in São Paulo at rush hour? Man, your ideology makes you sound LUNATIC at times...It seems you have never set foot here. I think these years in Wonderland (oops, I mean Europe) made you forget everything about practical life in a developing country metropolis like São Paulo. If you come and post news about problems in the metro system in order to promote your little car-centric pathetic world, I could perfectly post the news of the evergrowing congestion levels on our streets - you do know congestion levels only on the arterial roads in the central city reaches levels over 120 km basically everyday? Ahn, what about that? I think that's a much more powerful motive to scrap the private vehicle from the arterials in rush hour...
Martini87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:55 AM   #780
mopc

More pics of new line 2/10 Tamanduateí station, by Lro AC:

New train depot for line 2

The old station, which served line 10 only, to be torn down.

Tags
metro, são paulo, subway, trains