daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:34 AM   #21
Lookin Up

Likes (Received): 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroscient View Post
What are the prospects of this getting financing?

Crossing my fingers, arms, legs, toes, eyes...
The most (maybe 'only') relevant post on this thread.

Don't get your hopes up.

Despite everything else, this is the big issue in our world of larger scale development (unless you're in London - external factors related to the world/eu economy).

In the 'not London' stakes, it's only really Manchester that has a half chance but even then I wouldn't hold my breath.
A severe lack of confidence pervades.

Would be happy to be proved wrong and see this horrible concrete skeleton dealt with, at such an important gateway into the city centre.
Lookin Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:44 AM   #22
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 790

It does seem very much to be a solution in search of a market, which makes me doubtful of its financial viability. I think there is money to be made in providing rental housing for young professionals in the city centre but I doubt it would justify a building of this scale when there is so much empty land in Castlefield/Salford/Ancoats.
Cherguevara está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:07 AM   #23
Chorltonred

Likes (Received): 2

Well according to Companies House the development company is owned by the chap who owns this business, which seems respectable:

http://www.hpcplc.co.uk/home.asp

May be he has some money to play with.

Ian Curtis is his name (really!)
Chorltonred está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #24
madferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherguevara View Post
It does seem very much to be a solution in search of a market, which makes me doubtful of its financial viability. I think there is money to be made in providing rental housing for young professionals in the city centre but I doubt it would justify a building of this scale when there is so much empty land in Castlefield/Salford/Ancoats.
Yes, I thought that when I read the bit about "the flexible and affordable accommodation that Manchester needs". Is this going to be affordable in Beetham tower terms or will it reflect its location, adjoining student land and Hulme?
madferret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:25 PM   #25
uklad1979
BANNED

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by madferret View Post
Yes, I thought that when I read the bit about "the flexible and affordable accommodation that Manchester needs". Is this going to be affordable in Beetham tower terms or will it reflect its location, adjoining student land and Hulme?
It is going to be short/medium term serviced appartments so it will be between renting a city centre appartment and a hotel stay. Your comparing long term lets.
We have a lot of these in Abu Dhabi and the prices varys depending on how long you stay, the longer the cheaper as you are guaranteed the rooms are filled.

If it is going to be the same concept I imagine they are aimed at people staying less than a year and will be furnished with weekly cleaning services. If that is the case they generally cost about 10% more than a flat which is unfurnished per month but the attraction is they are furnished and your not tied in for a year. Usually this kind of price is if you stay more than a month. If you stay a week or a few nights they are a little cheaper than a 4* but without the service which is traded for having your own home away from home.
uklad1979 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:18 PM   #26
GShutty

Likes (Received): 525

I guess this plot is fairly close to First St, so the 1st St. regeneration ripple effect is perhaps starting to happen? It will certainly enhance the area whilst underway and towards completion and hopefully more will follow, especially if they are like this.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:06 PM   #27
Lookin Up

Any mention of a height on this?
I guess 40 floors of resi, top of my head, around the 120 to 125m mark - easily the city's second highest. But like others (17NWS, CIS) this too would be built in a dip and it's skyline impact would be less than you would think. Something like this on the higher ground around Piccadilly would make a real skyline impact.

If anyone goes down to the public consultation, there's only one question worth asking them: ''do you have funding in place for this?''
If they don't, they might struggle to get planning. Is it not now MCC policy only to approve tower schemes that can demonstrate a route to funding?

Last edited by Lookin Up; May 22nd, 2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Bad grammar tish tish
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:38 PM   #28
Meadows

Likes (Received): 3

I counted 42 floors on that render, but I don't know the height. It'll probably be the 2nd biggest yeah.
Meadows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:44 PM   #29
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2890

The things is.

The new breed of Nouveau Riche and Oligarch estate and letting agents in the city centre are crying out for new apartments to built.("Sorry, we've go no flats for sale or to let ATM.")

As it stands sealed bids and gazumping is once again rife in the city centre apartment market, if what is being reported is true?

It's obvious the BBC Lovies and the young media professionals flooding into the city are fueling this...... And still they come.

So which property developer is going to be brave and is going to reap the rewards of the iPhone and iPAD generation?

Urabn Splash took the prize last time, but they are so middle aged now. It's time for a new kid on the River Street block
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:53 PM   #30
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Looks like it could be similar to this proposal in Leicester.

http://www.iansimpsonarchitects.com/...ct/westbridge/

Last edited by Seasonedbest; May 23rd, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:23 PM   #31
Cherguevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
The things is.

The new breed of Nouveau Riche and Oligarch estate and letting agents in the city centre are crying out for new apartments to built.("Sorry, we've go no flats for sale or to let ATM.")

As it stands sealed bids and gazumping is once again rife in the city centre apartment market, if what is being reported is true?

It's obvious the BBC Lovies and the young media professionals flooding into the city are fueling this...... And still they come.

So which property developer is going to be brave and is going to reap the rewards of the iPhone and iPAD generation?

Urabn Splash took the prize last time, but they are so middle aged now. It's time for a new kid on the River Street block
But where's the capital to build it going to come from? Urban Splash made their mark by converting existing buildings into desirable blocks. The proponents of this scheme want to erect a 40 storey tower, which is a much more expensive prospect. If there were to be a new Urban Splash then I doubt they'd be able to pursue this business model. I doubt that with the current financial situation anybody would.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:07 AM   #32
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
But where's the capital to build it going to come from? Urban Splash made their mark by converting existing buildings into desirable blocks. The proponents of this scheme want to erect a 40 storey tower, which is a much more expensive prospect. If there were to be a new Urban Splash then I doubt they'd be able to pursue this business model. I doubt that with the current financial situation anybody would.
That's what I shall try and find out at the exhibition.

It will go something like this.

"Look matey, have you got the money to build this big kahuna or not?"

On a serious note. Didn't MCC state a while back that they wouldn't entertaint property developers who had little or no prospect of funding and building anything tall?

Obviously it's now at an advanced stage where the public are about to get involved. Why go to all that trouble and more if they haven't got a pot to piss in?

Let's give them the benefit of our Greek austerity doubts.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:19 AM   #33
Cherguevara

It's not gone for planning yet, so MCC's willingness to entertain this or not is untested.

If they build it I'm not going to complain. It's hardly likely to be a bad thing for the city. I'm just skeptical.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:22 AM   #34
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
It's not gone for planning yet, so MCC's willingness to entertain this or not is untested.

If they build it I'm not going to complain. It's hardly likely to be a bad thing for the city. I'm just skeptical.
Join the skeptical queue.

Tea, Coffee, sandwiches, cold drinks, crisps, confectionary......

I'm with you brother. Let's go along for the ride. Maybe, just mabye.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:00 AM   #35
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 227

I know it was a different building use, but look how wakefield tower took us by surprise.
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:39 AM   #36
Meadows

Likes (Received): 3

Although the exact specifics of funding might be unknown, there is a clear demand for these kind of short-term lets, which reap high profits for those that get involved (more than conventional flats).

It's the kind of thing that companies pay for their workers to use, like a bank or whatever. It has a punt at funding.
Meadows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:02 PM   #37
Manchesterwill

Likes (Received): 4

1 car parking space for every 30 flats? that's nuts.
Manchesterwill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:54 PM   #38
VoldemortBlack
Want a coffee after this?

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchesterwill View Post
1 car parking space for every 30 flats? that's nuts.
Environmentally friendly though. The council and whoever build this will get a lot of streetcred for that. Having said that it really is bonkers, but on the other hand everything is walking distance away. The city centre, cinema and bowling alley at Great Northern and a new supermarket at First St. For longer trips Deansgate station is nearby too, so it may not be as bad as it sounds

All the projects, events and developments in Manchester. Updated every month!
JUNE 2012 UPDATE COMING SOON!!!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1484027

VB'S Manchester Transport Maps
... as featured on ProjectMapping.co.uk

All of my rail and Metrolink maps past present and future in one place. Here.

Be sure to check out DeanUK's Metrolink Forum!!
VoldemortBlack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:43 PM   #39
uklad1979
BANNED

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoldemortBlack View Post
Environmentally friendly though. The council and whoever build this will get a lot of streetcred for that.
The council planning dept. don't dish our streetcred they dish out reality like where the **** is everyone parking? Oh yeah on the tiny streets, then they stamp it with rejected.
uklad1979 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:55 PM   #40
Lookin Up

I actually read the developer's blurb now (instead of skimming it and looking at the pictures - yeah I know)

The proposal is for what some call an aparthotel and there are a number already in the city. I've used them in other places abroad on longer trips and I've used three in Manchester whilst between places: SACO in Piccadilly Place, The Place behind Picc Stn and The Light in the NQ.

Definitely a better proposition than a hotel stay and less hassle than renting your own apartment. I would always use one when staying longer than say 1-2 weeks. They're not cheaper than a hotel but you get more space and your own kitchen, separate lounge, bedroom etc

As such, I think the concerns about parking expressed above are overblown - people using these tend to be from somewhere else and tend not to have brought their cars with them.

My thoughts as a prospective user if/when this is built:
I've got the choices in the locations mentioned above. Do I want to stay near Piccadilly (handy for the station) or in the NQ.....or a bit out on a limb by the side of the elevated section of the inner ring road next to a scraggy budget hotel? And a good walk on a dark, damp November evening to anywhere worthwhile.
That will be a problem for any investor to reconcile.

As Meadows has said there obviously is a demand for this type of relatively short term accommodation. The KEY question any sensible developer and investor will ask is not 'is there a demand?' but 'is there a supply shortage to meet the demand?'
There is no question that a prospective lender these days will demand hard evidence that there is.
Personally I don't know the answer to that question but I do wish these guys all the best - it could be a winner. Like someone else has said, 17NWS almost came out of left field and there it is - built.