daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Countries and overseas territories with the same road lay-out and road signs

I have a particular interest in road lay-out and road signs between different countries and territories. For my own experience I have only driven in one complete different area of Britain: Gibraltar. It┤s an experience. Even though they drive on the right, and all speed limits are in kilometres, road signs and lay-out are exactly the same as in Britain. I also would like to see more pictures and comparisons of the Falklands and Hong Kong for example. Also I believe a lot of north-African countries use the French system, as well as French Guyana, while Dutch (ex) overseas territories use a mixture of their own based on Dutch influence.
I have noticed that the Greek motorway system virtually has a German road lay-out with German style signs in a different colour.
And Finland seems to copy the Swedish style.

I want to know more!
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:31 PM   #2
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I want to know more!
Actually german fonts were used temporary along the E6 in south sweden a couple of years ago ..in 2001-2002 maybe. Later on this signage was removed.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...p%C3%A5_E6.jpg
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Road_UK
BANNED

Yes, they replaced them with more Danish looking ones I believe...
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:55 PM   #4
beto_chaves
Here since 2007

Likes (Received): 157

The Portuguese road lay-out and road signs are used in Cape Verde and also in Angola.
In Mozambique, also a former Portuguese possession, the South African road lay-out and road signs are used.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:52 PM   #5
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17487

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_chaves View Post
The Portuguese road lay-out and road signs are used in Cape Verde and also in Angola.
In Mozambique, also a former Portuguese possession, the South African road lay-out and road signs are used.

Brazil have american lay-out and road signs but today Brazil adopted some portuguese signs like chevrons.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:06 PM   #6
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Many countries in eastern and south Africa have signs very similar to South Africa (RSA) signature.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:21 PM   #7
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Many former French colonies in Africa use signs that are very much based on the French style of signposting. The English style of signposting has not really been exported to former colonies. Belize (former British Honduras) was one of the very last dependencies to gain independence, but its signposting looks more American than British.

Within Europe and throughout the world, I think that you can speak of a few "spheres of influence". Countries are simply playing copycat. Some of them were already mentioned, but here are some others:

- Albania largely mirrors Italy
- Ireland is strongly UK-influenced
- Newer Dutch motorway signage is pretty much copied from Germany
- Bolivia has copied Chile
- A few Central American countries (Guatemala, Honduras and others) have devoloped one shared system of signposting. Which is very much based on the Mexican system.
- Australia and New Zealand hold shared standards (but differences remain)
- and of course there are the systems shared between former USSR republics, former Yugoslav republics and the Czech and Slovak Republics.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:27 PM   #8
beto_chaves
Here since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post
... but today Brazil adopted some portuguese signs like chevrons.
I didn't know that! Nice!
Actually, Angola uses a mix of Portuguese and South African road lay-out and road signs as you can see here:

Mix of Portuguese and South African road lay-out and road signs in the same road:

Credits to Matthias Offodile

Portuguese style only:

Credits to muloji17

South African style only:
[IMG]http://i34.************/15ogu1w.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i38.************/2v125c2.jpg[/IMG]
Credits to muloji17

I've noticed that in Luanda local road signs follow the Portuguese style, like this one:

Credits to SÚrgio dos Santos

Last edited by beto_chaves; May 22nd, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
beto_chaves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:27 PM   #9
beto_chaves
Here since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Many countries in eastern and south Africa have signs very similar to South Africa (RSA) signature.
Indeed! SADC countries (South Africa, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland...) have switched over to using South African signage.

Last edited by beto_chaves; May 22nd, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
beto_chaves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:46 PM   #10
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17487

wow , angolan signs are very very different than brazilian ones.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 01:24 AM   #11
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

They are not colonies but just regions. Balearic, Canary islands and Ceuta and Melilla use the same system than in the rest of Spain.

In the case of Ceuta I show the typical EU signal advicing that border was 1 km ahead (yeah... most of territory is near the border but there is only one road from city to the custom control cabin at the border)

In the case of one island at Canary, they told me that it was very unusual to have road-shoulders. That made maximum 90 km/h in almost all the roads in the island.

The "point driving licence" used in Spain applies there as in other territory with no exceptions.

(JosÚ A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:10 AM   #12
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Former Yugoslav countries all have some sort of similarities, especially on motorway signage.....
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:24 AM   #13
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

When I look at the NZ highways thread I think what influences they got from each Australian state.

Victoria - blue/gold tollway signs
NSW - Auckland CBD traffic lights look the same as Sydney CBD traffic lights
WA - yellow traffic light poles in suburban Auckland look the same as Perth traffic light poles.

I'm still working on the other state/territories...

New Caledonia heavily influenced by France
(Western) Samoa influenced by NZ and Australia
American Samoa influenced by United States
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:27 AM   #14
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

It would be interesting to know if former Italian colonies in Africa (Lybia, Ethiopia and Somalia) share similar signs to the Italian ones. Probably not, since decolonization there happened after mass motorization.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:04 PM   #15
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
And Finland seems to copy the Swedish style.
That is not quite true. The influence is 2-way. For example, the blue backround on the direction signs was in use in Finland before Sweden made updates to their palette. The original Swedish colour was very dark blue, almost black. The signs marking the beginning and the end of a populated are was taken into use first in Finland.

Even if the systems are rather similar, there are clear differences in fonts, arrows, layout, shapes, colouring, symbols, etc. Even a Finnish moose differs from the Swedish one... A few signs in use in Finland are not in use in Sweden, and vice versa. Of course, there is much coordination between the countries.

Swedish and Finnish versions: The warning signs in Finland have yellow band at the edge, and the corners are sharper. The animal is different.

No warning sign about tunnels in Finland, only the informatory version.

Different colours

Different way to express the span of the sign.

Arrowheads

Arrow shape

Bus lane

Layout

White on blue road number signs in Sweden

Road class indicated by the sign color in Finland
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:04 PM   #16
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by essendon bombers View Post
When I look at the NZ highways thread I think what influences they got from each Australian state.
Practices elevated to "Australian Standard" are often also elevated to an NZ standard. You'll find a lot of official NZ websites that refer to Australian Standard 1742, which is the Australian signing standard.

A problem in Australia is, however, that AS1742 is not very conclusive and leaves options, which causes differences between states and territories that are visible to everyone. And then you have NZ that kind of "operates" between those Australian states and territories, for the simple reason that they have to choose between the points left open by AS1742 in the same manner as the Australian states and territories have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza
It would be interesting to know if former Italian colonies in Africa (Lybia, Ethiopia and Somalia) share similar signs to the Italian ones. Probably not, since decolonization there happened after mass motorization.
I'm sure that I have seen signs from Libya and Ethiopia, yet they do not resemble anything Italian.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:13 PM   #17
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
I'm sure that I have seen signs from Libya and Ethiopia, yet they do not resemble anything Italian.
I thought that as well. Probably Somalia had the greatest influence from Italy of the three countries (University classes were taught in Italian until the 90s).
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:45 PM   #18
beto_chaves
Here since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I thought that as well. Probably Somalia had the greatest influence from Italy of the three countries (University classes were taught in Italian until the 90s).
Here is the Ethiopian thread about roads (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1394384). There aren't many photos... and none of them seem to be Italian style...
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:51 PM   #19
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Yes, because there are barely any signs...
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:46 PM   #20
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
Many former French colonies in Africa use signs that are very much based on the French style of signposting. The English style of signposting has not really been exported to former colonies. Belize (former British Honduras) was one of the very last dependencies to gain independence, but its signposting looks more American than British.

Within Europe and throughout the world, I think that you can speak of a few "spheres of influence". Countries are simply playing copycat. Some of them were already mentioned, but here are some others:

- Albania largely mirrors Italy
- Ireland is strongly UK-influenced
- Newer Dutch motorway signage is pretty much copied from Germany
- Bolivia has copied Chile
- A few Central American countries (Guatemala, Honduras and others) have devoloped one shared system of signposting. Which is very much based on the Mexican system.
- Australia and New Zealand hold shared standards (but differences remain)
- and of course there are the systems shared between former USSR republics, former Yugoslav republics and the Czech and Slovak Republics.
Gibraltar is still exactly the same as mainland UK (apart from driving on the right and speed limits in km.) So is Hong Kong (apart from signs both in English and Chinese)

Is Russia the same everywhere from Finland to Vladivostok?