search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 26th, 2012, 03:44 AM   #1
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2070

DUBLIN: NAMA close to deal on moving National Maternity Hospital to Elm Park, Dublin south

Quote:
National Maternity Hospital close to securing new site

NEGOTIATIONS ARE at an advanced stage about transferring the National Maternity Hospital at Holles Street in Dublin to the Elm Park development near St Vincent’s hospital on the Merrion Road.

The Elm Park mixed office and residential development was built by developer Bernard MacNamara but is currently controlled by receivers appointed by National Asset Management Agency (Nama).

Nama’s approval would be required for any transaction involving the property. It is understood that talks on relocating the 118-year-old National Maternity Hospital to modified buildings at the Elm Park development are under way between the hospital, the Department of Health, the Department of Finance and the Nama

A Nama spokesman confirmed yesterday that it was “engaged with the Department of Health in respect of this matter”.

A spokesman for Minister for Health James Reilly said last night: “Serious negotiations with Nama are ongoing in relation to a possible relocation for Holles Street maternity hospital.”

The spokesman declined to comment on the location of the site at the centre of the discussions but said it was a Nama property.

The spokesman for the Minister said the negotiations had not been finalised.

The Elm Park development had been mooted as a possible location for the proposed new national children’s hospital.

However it is understood that the negotiations about moving the National Maternity Hospital on to the Elm Park site is not part of an overall plan in relation to the new children’s hospital.

It is likely that any relocation of the National Maternity Hospital to the Elm Park development would involve it sharing some services with the nearby St Vincent’s Hospital.

The National Maternity Hospital is understood to be experiencing serious capacity issues at its current location.

On her appointment earlier this year as the new master of the National Maternity hospital, Dr Rhona Mahony said the hospital was busier than at any time in its history.

She said almost 10,000 babies had been delivered there last year and productivity was up by 30 per cent compared to 2007.

“So it is a huge challenge just even managing the numbers,” she said.

Dr Mahony also acknowledged that infrastructure at the hospital was “a big problem”.

“This is a very, very old building, it is not custom-built for 2012,” she said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...316734648.html

This is good. Elm park is a pretty stunning development with great transport access.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #2
yannms2001

Likes (Received): 7

I remember how reluctant to NAMA people were when it was created, but this organisation seems to do good things overall.
yannms2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #3
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 915

I've seen those offices race past me the odd time I've got the DART out to Bray and I must say they are terrific looking offices. They have a great sense of height, scale and a touch of architectural ambition. They remind me a lot of the great buildings developed in places like Germany and France during the height of the modernist movement of the twentieth century. I'm not sure if it's quite a good idea to send the National Maternity Hospital out to this development. Could a plan not be developed to optimise the current site to expand the quality and quantity of services? It just seems to be another example of suburbanisation which we should be resisting - cities work best with a lively and effective centre.

That being said, the health of our children is at stake, especially considering the baby boom we are currently experiencing. If Elm Park can deliver a better venue for the delivery of our youngest citizens into the world, then all the better. However it would be nice to see at least an examination of the possibility of enhancing the current location. Elm Park is a good site as people have mentioned above - transport links are excellent, the buildings have large floorspaces and there's the possibility of co-location with St. Vincent's Hospital.

That said, it would be good to see the Holles Street buildings converted into another useful building which will draw people into Town.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:17 PM   #4
thebig C

Likes (Received): 322

Agreed Dvdlvnia! Whilst Elm Park is a breath of fresh air amonst some of the dross built during the Celtic Tiger, I don't think its that good a site. I am certainly not convinced that the transport links are any better then the City Centre and in contrast to other out of town locations it is not adjasant to the M50.

The most unsettling part of the article was "modified buildings". I take it that this would mean converting office blocks into a Hospital.......not an ideal situation!
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: