daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #321
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko7 View Post
Thanks. I don't have much problems reading english but when it was very hard for me to translate this small text.

On another subject, you may want to look at the history of the métro of Charleroi: it is unfinished with some abandoned section.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleroi_Pre-metro
Yeah, I think if you do the Safari you go to some abandoned stations. So I missed that. I didn't even ride all the metro which I will definitely do when I go back.

I also don't think I even saw the main square in the center of Charleroi

There is a lot to be seen there.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #322
600West218

BTW, the metro there seemed to have VERY low ridership. I think I saw a grand total of maybe 10 other riders the whole time I used it. It was really, really empty. And I think I was on it around 6 or 7 pm on a Wednesday.
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #323
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2454

That metro is Charleroi is a bit amputated. This map explanes everything:

The red lines was the network they planed (very, very, very much overdone) and the other lines are the one that were actually build. The blue lines are actually taken in exploitation and the green lines are there but not in use (the map shows the situation of 2005).

The strange thing is the line that is taken into use is going true very low populated areas. So it's very ineffective.

To improve usage in 2012 a few parts were taking into use: the 'ring' is now complete and the extension to Soleilmont. Also a new tramline to the north (line 3) will open in 2013. Now the network looks like this:

The line to Anderleus is still underused but the rest of the network is now not as useless as it used to be. So it improved a lot.

The line to Châtelet is right now the only line left that is completely build (even the stations are fully finished with escalators and all) but not in use. Here you can find a photo reportage on the subject.

EDIT: I also found a good ENglish site: http://diggelfjoer.swalker.nl/index....sub=abandcharl

Last edited by De Klauw; June 6th, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #324
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6624

Another tip: If you're interested in the early period of industrialization, then you can find some traces of it in the Charleroi area.
Le Grand-Hornu: http://www.grand-hornu.be/flashversion.html
and http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Grand-Hornu
Bois du Luc: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bois-du-Luc. Bois du Luc is in La Louvière, so you already know where to find it.

I only visited the first site, but it was very impressive. The whole factory complex still exists, surounded by a very large neighbourhood with old workers houses, that were provided by the factory. It's actually a 19th century planned city, built around a factory.
I don't think there are many places like it in the world. If so, it would be in England.

Last edited by Wapper; June 6th, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Wapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #325
WC_EEND

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapper View Post
Unreported employment (I don't know the right English word for it. We call it 'working in black') is also rather rule than exception in horeca and for people like plumbers and handymen.
I think the correct English word for that is "moonlighting"
WC_EEND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #326
600West218

Quote:
Another tip: If you're interested in the early period of industrialization, then you can find some traces of it in the Charleroi area.
Le Grand-Hornu: http://www.grand-hornu.be/flashversion.html
and http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Grand-Hornu
Bois du Luc: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bois-du-Luc. Bois du Luc is in La Louvière, so you already know where to find it.

I only visited the first site, but it was very impressive. The whole factory complex still exists, surounded by a very large neighbourhood with old workers houses, that were provided by the factory. It's actually a 19th century planned city, built around a factory.
I don't think there are many places like it in the world. If so, it would be in England.
The industrial villages look very interesting. Indeed I have seen some of them. I went to Port Sunlight near Liverpool in England and Saltaire which is a little ways outside Leeds, also in England. They were quite nice and if you go to my "England of the Industrial Revolution" trip report you'll see LOTS of pictures of both of them.

It would be interesting to see the French and Belgian ones to be able to compare them.
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #327
600West218

I will be busy for a few days so the writing of the next entries will have to wait a bit.

But rest assured - there is more to come. Here are some hints:

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by 600West218, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

While I'm away we'll see who can figure out where and what these are.

The first one is a total softball, the second not so much, and the third one will only be for someone who knows their stuff.

See ya in a bit...
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #328
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

First is ofcourse brussels. The 2nd pic is Germany and that last one is Germany 100%.I have no idea where though. Ruhr area has hundreds of places like that.
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #329
Karnoit

Likes (Received): 1561

Quote:
I wonder if they still need this motorway in the middle of the city. Other towns would have closed it a long time ago.

Why wouldn't we need it? It makes the city centre easily reachable (especially when you know that Charleroi is quite sprawl and disorganized).

Of course, It's quite horrible on a aesthetic point of view, the elevated part also violently cut some part of the city. But somehow It kind of match with the brutal landscape of Charleroi. Beside, destroy it and make a full tunneled ring would cost billions that we can't afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218
I was quite sad to be leaving Charleroi after such a brief stay, less than a day. But I had accomplished my main objectives - seeing the canal locks and checking out some of the industrial sections of Charleroi. [...]
There was so much left to explore - the coal mines and industrial museum, more of the canals, the residential districts and center, the small city of Louviere. For anyone interested in industrial heritage this city calls for at least 3 or 4 days.
Yes, it's important to keep in mind for people watching this thread that you had little time seeing the town and you really wanted to focus on the industrial sides. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and I hope you'll come back once to see all the others stuff left to see
Karnoit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #330
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

This is a VERY INTERESTING thread...thank you

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #331
Helmet222

Likes (Received): 2

The second pictures can be somewhere between Eschweiler and Langerwehe, in Germany. Kinda reminds of what i see sitting in the train to cologne.
The last picture is taken in Aachen, Germany. That`s the university hospital of Aachen. This building is so spacious. I was there a few times and it always felt like beeing in a spaceship from the inside of the building.
Helmet222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #332
eklips

Likes (Received): 5050

The whole concept and idea of someone organizing and making money out of a post-industrial safari is
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #333
Wapper

And why is that?
Old June 8th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #334
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2246

image hosted on flickr

Untitled par 600West218, sur Flickr

it is called "Euratechnologies"
An old fabric which was transformed on a companies informatics campus (cisco,ibm etc...) are there.

just look here :

http://www.google.fr/search?q=eurate...w=1230&bih=749

Last edited by Axelferis; June 8th, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Axelferis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #335
eklips

Likes (Received): 5050

Quote:
And why is that?
I just find it pretty violent.... at least on a symbolical level. People making money out of industrial desolation and unemployment, as if the local poverty was just a fun social movie a la city of god you go see while eating popcorns, feel a bit of a rush, and then back to your daily life. Like going to the zoo or something, hell, even the expression "safari" kind of hints towards it. These things just tend to make me uncomfortable
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #336
Piltup Man

Likes (Received): 52

I don't see it that way, particularly if it's locals organising it. They are showing their heritage.
Piltup Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #337
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklips View Post
I just find it pretty violent.... at least on a symbolical level. People making money out of industrial desolation and unemployment, as if the local poverty was just a fun social movie a la city of god you go see while eating popcorns, feel a bit of a rush, and then back to your daily life. Like going to the zoo or something, hell, even the expression "safari" kind of hints towards it. These things just tend to make me uncomfortable
It's a way of getting employment for at least a few people
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #338
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2246

image hosted on flickr

Untitled par 600West218, sur Flickr

It is the headquarter of local/regional trade center or economic and commercial activities
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #339
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2454

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklips View Post
Without Urbex tourist Charleroi would have no tourist at all. Urbex tourist are also tourist. They also spent in the city so it's benefiting the economy.
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #340
Wapper

I think it's very good that the industrial heritage of the region is being promoted and there are people interested in it. It would be very sad if we would just neglect this important part of our history.

Tags
paris photo