daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #341
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapper
I think it's very good that the industrial heritage of the region is being promoted and there are people interested in it. It would be very sad if we would just neglect this important part of our history.
I agree. And not only that but people who like this stuff also like industry in general and try to promote it and advocate for policies that benefit.

And of course it is history and it is important to remember history.

And it's not as if people only go to Charleroi for this. I do it in the cities where I live.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #342
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet222
The second pictures can be somewhere between Eschweiler and Langerwehe, in Germany. Kinda reminds of what i see sitting in the train to cologne..
It probably reminds you of that because that is exactly where it was taken, on the train from Aachen to Cologne.

So when I get back home we'll have some more of Belgium and then a bit of Germany.
Old June 9th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #343
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244609

Amazing and very nice updates; keep them coming
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #344
Nijal

Likes (Received): 1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Very interesting Nijal.

I will take in more of your comments later. But do you recall the pictures I have from first being in Lille (shortly after the Ametieres belfry) of the canal with the big warehouse, and loading devices to move things between the ships and truks/railroads? Do you know if that is active? Do you know where that canal goes to?
Hello 600West218.

The canal you saw is the Deûle river. It is the river to which Lille was orignally founded (it was the place where it was possible to cross the river). This river is canalized and 10 kilometers ahead, it flows into the Lys river -which is the frontier between France and Belgium (then the Lys river flows into the Escaut that meets the North Sea in Antwerpen).

Here below you can see a map of the fluvial trafic in the Northern France - Belgium area (in 2007):

As you can see, the trafic is very big in Belgian Flanders, which benefits from the activity of Belgian harbours (Zeebrugge, Gent and Antwerpen). The trafic is heavy between Antwerpen and Ličge -the 3rd biggest European fluvial harbour- on the Albertkanal. In Wallonie and especially in France, the trafic is much less important, because of the lack of accessibility to the northern European network. In northern France, there is currently a project for increasing the capacity of the fluvial network near Dunkerque (the 3rd French harbour), but the biggest project is the volume enhancing of the "canal Seine-Nord", between northern France and Paris.

As far as the Lille harbour is concerned, it is presently the 3rd French fluvial harbour (after Paris and Strasbourg). The part you saw is not very used any more, indeed it is mainly a storage area. It will be part of a plan of rehabilitation.

As you can see, the Lille harbour doesn't seem very vast. What you saw is yellow-circled and will be transformed into offices, habitations... The rest of the harbour will expand to the south. It is a very secret closed area that is unknown for Lille inhabitants themselves.

An anecdote: I regularly drive from Lille to Luxembourg, and I pass near La Louvičre and Charleroi. Last week I remarked the big fluvial elevator you took in picture! Sure it is really impressive. But as you can see on the previous map, the trafic is not very huge on this part of the canal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchek View Post
well, doesn't the name "fleur de Lys" come from the nearby Lys river?
No I don't think so. It comes from the latin "lilium". The Lys river comes from the latin "Legia" ("which outflows"), presumably from an originally celtic word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchek View Post
I heard that back in the days, Roubaix and Tourcoing enjoyed a fierce rivalry toward each others, because Tourcoing was the city of Flemish immigrants, and Roubaix was the city of Walloon immigrants...
It is not the case. Roubaix and Tourcoing were never really rivals (in fact, Tourcoing, which was bigger than Roubaix before the industrial revolution, was truly the rival of Lille). And to talk about immigration, the area never attracted Walloon immigrants, because during the 19th century, Wallonie was a dynamic industrial region itself. Tourcoing and mainly Roubaix heavily attracted Flemish migrants in the second part of the 19th century. In 1890, 60% of Roubaix inhabitants are Flemish or from Flemish descent.
A reason why Roubaix population increased more than Tourcoing population in this period is that Flemish migrants had to live in Roubaix to work in it, whereas for Tourcoing -which is directly contiguous to the border- migrants could cross the frontier everyday to work. In 1900, the population of Roubaix was of 125,000 inhabitants (8,000 in 1800) for a density of 11,000 habs/kmē, whereas for Tourcoing it was only of 80,000.

Last edited by Nijal; June 13th, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Nijal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #345
600West218

Njial, thank you for this VERYYYYY informative comment. I love that diagram. It shows things quite well and for the first time I understand how things are linked. I really must get to Liege. That KingAlbertcanal looks huge based on the volume of cargo. Does it allow for bigger ships than the Piniches? I assume it does. Ocean going cargo ships go to Ghent. Can they make it to Liege too?

The areal shot of the Lille port is great. I think I was on the bridge that is right at the top of your yellow circle, which means the mondern port was behind me and I missed it :-(

The strange thing is I thought I only saw one wharehouse but that photo shows two.

Also, note the other small water on the right of that photo. THat looks like yet another canal and the land between the two bodies of water is therefore maybe an island??
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #346
600West218

BTW, from that diagram, it looks like Maastricht is a HUGE port. Is it? I am not sure why it would be, it isn't big or have much industry does it. Or do they just transfer to trucks and trains to go further inland to Germany?
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #347
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2455

Maastricht has no port. At least not a significant one. But it's located on the main connection from Liege to Antwerp. So that's why it looks big on the map while it isn't.

Quote:
Ocean going cargo ships go to Ghent. Can they make it to Liege too?
Those ships will use Antwerp.
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #348
Tchek

Likes (Received): 137

I think there used to have a vague plan to make better connections between Liege and Dunkerque?
Tchek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #349
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
BTW, from that diagram, it looks like Maastricht is a HUGE port. Is it? I am not sure why it would be, it isn't big or have much industry does it. Or do they just transfer to trucks and trains to go further inland to Germany?
I think you assume that because the cargo balk narrows a lot on Maastricht. But like De Klauw mentioned it has no industrial port of big importance. I think the map is not made that well because it doesn't show links with other important Canals ant where the caro is going. Maastricht is the starting point of Canals between The Meuse River and the Rhine. No Sea ships but large barges though. Genk has also a cargo port on the Albert Canal wich has a lot more importance than Maastricht.

The Albert Canal is indeed a big Industrial Canal with big locks. This is the port Of Genk on the Canal:

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/13599277.jpg

Some locks along the Canal:

http://www.herbosch-kiere.be/images/.../wijnegem1.jpg

http://gallery10.condros.eu/gallery/...2788_Image.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/kempeninbeeld/Olen%20sluis.jpg

Nike distribution center with it's own port:

http://gallery10.condros.eu/gallery/...4799_Image.jpg

The canal looks like this almost the entire length:
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3593/3...84e0cb8e_z.jpg

http://gallery10.condros.eu/gallery/...64A6_Image.jpg

Last edited by joshsam; June 14th, 2012 at 03:16 AM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #350
600West218

After an awesome day in Charleroi I was to head to Aachen to get a taste of Germany. However, my host in Brussels was freed up from her obligations and wanted to take me around Brussels a bit more. The first place she was to take me was the Antonium.

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by 600West218, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This structure was opposite the Antonium. I don’t think I am being contraversial if I say it is quite unattractive. It is a mystery to me what a country with such a stunning architectural tradition is thinking when it constructs something like this:

image hosted on flickr

Some shots from the observation level of the Antonium:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A mini Europe! Looks interesting but the real Europe is much better.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

These were stairs between levels. Besides the observation level each part of the Antonium was accesable to the public and mainly housed a exhibitions about the Worlds Fair, architecture, and ecology.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Yuck!!

It was nice to see the Antonium. If you’re in Brussels for several days it is worth seeing. It definitely isn’t in a league with the Eiffel Tower, but it does give a nice view of Brussels.

image hosted on flickr

Back on the metro heading to the center of Brussels.

image hosted on flickr

Back by the Royal Palace.

image hosted on flickr

The park immediately across from the palace.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Creative artwork never seems to be lacking.

image hosted on flickr

Ahh, its good to be back seeing the real thing, not some early 20th century monstrocity:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

It’s kind of funny, but I almost wish the cranes would disappear. They seem to be everywhere in Belgium and disrupt otherwise spectacular views.

image hosted on flickr

Damn crane again :-)

image hosted on flickr

I hadn’t noticed this interesting clock the first time around so it was nice to have it pointed out.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Amazingly a HUGE thing is made of this little statue of a boy taking a piss. There are replicas of it, even replicas made of chocolate, everywhere for sale. Rather annoying frankly. Oh well, that is what mass tourism does to a place.

image hosted on flickr

Old June 16th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #351
Tchek

Likes (Received): 137

You didn't seem too thrilled with Brussels...
Tchek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #352
600West218

I wasn't. But that was partly my fault. I didn't have much time there and only saw very touristy type places. As you know, I prefer industry, canals, big brick buildings, etc, to some of the more obviously touristy stuff. But it would have been interesting to explore some of the ethnic neighborhoods of Brussels. It was quite cosmopolitan.
Old June 16th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #353
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244609

Great, very nice photos also from Brussels
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #354
joshsam
JR

Quote:
I wasn't. But that was partly my fault. I didn't have much time there and only saw very touristy type places. As you know, I prefer industry, canals, big brick buildings, etc, to some of the more obviously touristy stuff. But it would have been interesting to explore some of the ethnic neighborhoods of Brussels. It was quite cosmopolitan.
Brussels is probably one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. Roughly 50% of the city population is made up out of immigrants. Lots of Americans from the USA living in Brussels too btw.
Old June 16th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #355
joshsam
JR

Quote:
Those buildings are part of the Brussels Expo. It's one the biggest expo buildings in Belgium. 12 gaint halls and 12 conference rooms house in it. Parking space is around 12.000.

5 halls where build in 1935 for Expo 1935. The biggest, hall 5 is the one that is still left of the old ones and the one that you took pictures of. Other buildings are part of the world Expo 58 including the Atomium. The whole area around, the parks including where part of expo 58. The only building that wasn't demolished was the atomium ofcourse.

The stadium you took pictures of is the National football station of Belgium. It's quite outdated and extensions where build from 1927 untill now. It's also the statium of the Heysel Stadium disaster

image hosted on flickr

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/172/39...6b3848c4_z.jpg
Old June 16th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #356
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6631

Nice pictures, but you should definitely come back to see the real Brussels.
Wapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #357
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5614

That "Yuck!!"-building is an Art Deco beauty! What's wrong with you? XD
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #358
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2455

I'm actually a big fan of the Palace 5. Especially the big statues on the top. It may look a bit communistic (though it's not), bit it's not boring or massive. It's also a protected monument.

You're right on Manneken Pis. It's probably the most overrated tourist attraction in the word. You see a lot of disappointed tourists if you walk there. It's actually quite funny.
But it's historically quite important. The original version of Manneken Pis dates from 1388. The current statue is from 1619. The statue was also stolen several times (but each time found back again).

Actually I wonder why Manneken Pis is more known than the Atomium.

Last edited by De Klauw; June 17th, 2012 at 03:54 AM.
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #359
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapper View Post
Nice pictures, but you should definitely come back to see the real Brussels.
Absolutely, recall, I only spent in total about 1 full day touring Brussels. So I mainly just saw touristy stuff and the military museum (which, again, was really good in spite of not reading French or Flemish). I would like more time to explore there and it might be the city which I would actually most like to live in there due to its 1) liveliness, 2) being very diverse and cosmopolitan and 3) its very central location and excellent transportation.
Old June 17th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #360
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Klauw View Post
I'm actually a big fan of the Palace 5. Especially the big statues on the top. It may look a bit communistic (though it's not), bit it's not boring or massive. It's also a protected monument.

You're right on Manneken Pis. It's probably the most overrated tourist attraction in the word. You see a lot of disappointed tourists if you walk there. It's actually quite funny.
But it's historically quite important. The original version of Manneken Pis dates from 1388. The current statue is from 1619. The statue was also stolen several times (but each time found back again).

Actually I wonder why Manneken Pis is more known than the Atomium.
This is very interesting. I guess looking at it more closely I do see some of what you are referring to, and to it being "Art Deco" as was also mentioned. Still it really does look like some Soviet era monstrosity and I would expect to see this type of building in Poland or Russia. But keep in mind, I am no architecture expert or critic and I only have my own flawed opinions and likes and dislikes

Tags
paris photo