daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Denmark > Copenhagen

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2015, 09:15 AM   #1
Likes (Received): 24

Questions about moving to CPH from Sweden

Hello my fellow Danes i have a couple of questions for you.

I dont know much about Copenhagen but now i´ve been there twice and i love your city! the true capital of scandinavia!
Me and my other half has talked about maybe moving to Copenhagen someday in the future as we both love the city and you wonderful Danish people that already lives your life there.

My questions to you is as follows :

1. How expensive is Copenhagen to live in? Compared to other cities of comparable size?

2. How much does an apartment cost? We dont want to live in some suburb on the countryside we want to live somewhere in the central parts or atleast in an inner suburb near the city centre. As we live in Sweden you are free to write the price in DKK prices as the Swedish SEK is similar in value these days.

3. Based on the question above... i dont know much about Cph at all. So what areas and neighbourhoods can you recommend? We are a lower mid age couple who enjoys going out in the weekends enjoying some beer and wine. We like to eat out as often as we can afford it. My grilfriens LOVES shopping and we both enjoys the urban lifestyle in general.

3. How is the job situation in Copenhagen? Is it hard for a couple of Swedes to attain work there? Personally for me i dont think its a problem. i work at Flügger A/S and can possibly transfer from Sweden to Denmark.
But my girlfriend she works in the concrete buisness.

If anyone takes their time to answer these questions i´m greatful thank you very much and CHEERS for Copenhagen
brillmongo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #2
Likes (Received): 111

Hi brillmongo,

Having been to Gothenburg(great city) multiple times, I can tell that the overall pricing in CPH is a bit more expensive(restaurants, groceries etc..), but really it is very little. Alcohol is much cheaper though, and is a natural part of a restaurant visit.

As for an apartment, you should could in the districts of Nørrebro, Vesterbro, vanløse etc. For 2.5-4 mill you'll defenitely get a decent apartment.

Regarding working in CPH it will be pretty easy for you. The city is filled with swedes working and studying. As for a specific business area like the concrete industry, I think the opportunities are good. A number of large danish companies specializes in concrete, such as FLSchmidt, headquartered in Copenhagen.
Finsternuss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #3
Likes (Received): 66

3. Check out outside dining in Christianshavn/Papirøen, and dining/bars on Vesterbro or Nørrebro

4. Copenhagen is experiencing kind of a boom in construction, so construction related businesses like concrete should be in demand
BrMstrBrw está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 06:49 AM   #4

Yes Gothenburg is a lovely city thanks for your nice words about my hometown :-)
I am borned and raised there and it has a special place in my heart.
But with an wish to live in a bigger denser more vibrant city Copenhagen slowly becomes more and more appealing to me (us)

Thanks for your answers, we will probably make another trip to Copenhagen soon again.
I will definetly check out the neighbourhoods you´ve mentioned here.
Next summer i wil try to rent an rather cheap overnight appartment through my company and stay for a week. I think that will give a better more natural feel of the city and more illustrate how it is to accually live there.
Old October 1st, 2015, 09:48 AM   #5
Likes (Received): 29

I'm not Swedish but I lived in Gothenburg 8 years, so I know the city well. CPH definitely has a lot more going on, and a more exciting place to live. It's not really larger than GBG though, just not everything is concentrated in the city center and there is a lot more going on in each neighbourhood. Moreover, it's really easy to get around by bike. Finding a rental is as difficult as GBG if not more, if you have the budget I would look to buy an apartment.. Malmo isn't too bad either and feels to me more progressive than GBG.
the_partisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 07:14 PM   #6
Likes (Received): 17

Nørrebro, Østerbro, Vesterbro, Amagerbro, Frederiksberg, Valby, Vanløse and Brønshøj are all nice neighborhoods, centered around the inner-city and Christianshavn, with lots of cafees, bars and shopping.

Or why not try Ørestad or look at some of the new development down by the harper and Sydhavn- close to both the inner-city and Sweden..?
Zichau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 09:23 PM   #7
Likes (Received): 166

I can see a few people have already answered but I'm gonna chime in with my own thoughts anyway

1: Not THAT much more expensive than Sweden in general. And overall large cities are just expensive. Eating out in CPH and Denmark in general IS however really expensive (but we have an awesome food scene so it makes somewhat up for it).

2: Depends on what area (of course). The centre (København K), Vesterbro, Nørrebro, Østerbro, Christianshavn and Frederiksberg will probably run at about 7000-11000 DKK (10000-14000 SEK) for a normal sized 2-3 bedroom flat (60-80m2).

If you're looking to buy in one of those areas you probably have to shell out at least 3 million DKK (3.7 SEK).

3: If you had an open budget I (and most everyone else) would recommend Vesterbro (where I live) and Nørrebro. Urban wise they're probably the two most vibrant boroughs (and "hip" if that's your thing). Christianshavn is really nice, Frederiksberg (a different municipality but surrounded by Copenhagen and a borough of Copenhagen for all intents and purposes) is a bit more quiet but really nice too and so close to the centre.

Amager (pronounced here as "Ama'r" ) might be a good bet for you guys actually. The area around Amagerbro is quite nice, close'ish (10-15 min. on bike) from the centre and the prices haven't gone through the roof yet. Otherwise moving a bit further out but still well within city limits and easy bike/metro/S-tog ride from the central parts is Valby and Nordvest. Old working class Nordvest is said to be the next hip, hip area and is very urban with many different ethnicities and it's just next to Nørrebro.

So in short if you're on a budget: Amager(bro), Nordvest and Valby And if you're not on that tight a budget I would try to go for Vesterbro, (inner) Nørrebro or Christianshavn.

4: Depends on your business and I honestly have no idea about the job situation in either of your businesses so I'll refrain from lending advice on it
Vi elsker disse kolde københavnske nætter så højt som vi elsker os selv.
Köbtke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #8

Thanks for your answers it is definetly much to think about. But it gets a little easier with you suggestions and recomendations. Unfortunatly its not time to move just yet but now when the time is right i atleast have a clue about where i CHP we are going to look for a flat.

Cheers and thanks to all of you :-)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: