daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Denmark > Copenhagen



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Fab 5
Registered User
 
Fab 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,097
Likes (Received): 1

DISCUSSION | How the Opera should have looked like

So, here it is. The thread for making renderings on how, according to Henning Larsen Architects, the Opera was supposed to have looked like - before the project owner showed his power - and will.

Over the years many details have surfaced on how Henning Larsen had originally intended the Opera to be designed.

Some of them include:

1. The main material for the facade should have been dark metal, not Jura Gelb (the exact same solution as used for HLA's Nordea complex). Source: HL in "De skal sige tak!".



If we follow these design thoughts, well, I am of the impression that the Opera initially design-wise received even more inspiration from the Luzern Culture and Congress Center by Jean Nouvel than it has previously been blamed for. Lets have that in the back of our heads.



2. Following this it is evident that the Opera should have had a much lighter expression. It became way too "heavy" in its expression. Below the very first sketches to surface AFTER the HLA Inderhavnen volume study had been carried out.




3. What can also be seen from these initial sketches is the fact that the stage tower should have been much less conspicuous - according to Henning Larsen in "De skal sige tak!" at least three metres.

4. And when we are at the stage tower, Henning Larsen originally wanted it to have a facade of copper - NOT the present aluminum. So, a solution like Skuespilhuset.

5. Then the much debated west facade. Luckily the project owner didn't get it completely his way - only because this solution was too heavy for the foundation that had already been poured at the time. Sadly, I haven't been able to get access to my archive back in Copenhagen, so I am not able to present all the solutions I have been able to gather through the years. However, one solution sticks out and that picture I still have on file here.



This is the facade solution to surface almost right after (March 2001) the initial sketches shown further above. It shows a rectangular facacde box with a broken symmetry. Following logic and knowledge about the architecture of HL I think this is the solution that he preferred. Perhaps in some sort of combination with the solution that surfaced shortly afterwards - which is the first solution that shows how the architects had intended the front plaza to have been designed (sloping towards the water with no benches etc.):



Again, I think we can clearly take a look at Nouvel's Lucerne project for inspiration. And, we can even take a look of the back side of the Opera - that part is much more Henning Larsen than the front facade - especially the part to the right in the picture; didn't Mr. Møller care so much about this part?



These are the OVERALL adjustments that should be made. I have more details as we move along with this little project. Does anyone have a good base picture to start from? And what angle should we chose?

And please come forward with your own insights as well.
__________________
Fab 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #2
TMG
Registered User
 
TMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 905
Likes (Received): 25

Very interesting and great work - thanks for the insight.
__________________
Thomas

For further information and pictures regarding projects in Copenhagen - visit my homepage about construction in Copenhagen - http://www.kifora.dk
TMG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #3
EDK_DK
Registered User
 
EDK_DK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Randers
Posts: 573
Likes (Received): 4

I'm glad it turned out the way it did.
EDK_DK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #4
mlm
Member #109
 
mlm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Herning, Denmark
Posts: 2,677
Likes (Received): 69

I'll start by adding these 2 renderings/models, snapped a few weeks ago on DR2. Any idea where we are time'wise? The 2nd is clearly Hr. Møllers "work", and since both has big stage towers it must be rather late in the process.



mlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #5
cphdude
Timelord victorious
 
cphdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: København
Posts: 2,678
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDK_DK View Post
I'm glad it turned out the way it did.
Me too. And I find the whole debate rather pointless...
cphdude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Pisling
Construction Time Again
 
Pisling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 1,239
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude View Post
Me too. And I find the whole debate rather pointless...
Jeg synes bestemt ikke, at det er en ligegyldig debat. Hvis vi sætter det hele lidt på spidsen, så handler denne sag jo i bund og grund om, hvor meget du som "stærk mand" kan tillade dig – både i forhold til dine rådgivere og tilknyttede specialister, men så sandelig også i forhold til resten af samfundet.

Uanset om man er for eller imod Operaens endelige udseende, så er det da sindssygt vigtigt for et samfund at diskutere, om penge, magt og position virkelig altid skal sættes over kompetencer og faglig viden. Og det er især vigtigt i et samfund som det danske, hvor en tidligere statsministers pøbelleflende catchphrase har givet mange danskere den idiotiske idé, at man bør forsage og bekæmpe smagsdommeri og eksperterviden med hele sit virke. En vildfarelse, der i bedste fald blot avler middelmådige løsninger, og i værste fald ødelægger vores forståelse af det så højt besungne danske videnssamfund.

Hov, nu kom jeg til at skamride en af mine kæpheste igen. Beklager Pointen er såmænd bare den, at Henning Larsens bog har en stor berettigelse i dagens Danmark. Umiddelbart er den måske en lidt uheldig og gumpetung omgang mudderkastning – men den beskriver også et grelt eksempel på den tidstypiske jeg-ved-bedst-selv-tendens, som for alt i verden bør bekæmpes. For uanset om du er Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller eller Maren i kæret, bør du indse dine begrænsninger og lytte til folk, der er klogere end dig selv.
__________________
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
Pisling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #7
cphdude
Timelord victorious
 
cphdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: København
Posts: 2,678
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisling View Post
Jeg synes bestemt ikke, at det er en ligegyldig debat. Hvis vi sætter det hele lidt på spidsen, så handler denne sag jo i bund og grund om, hvor meget du som "stærk mand" kan tillade dig – både i forhold til dine rådgivere og tilknyttede specialister, men så sandelig også i forhold til resten af samfundet.

Uanset om man er for eller imod Operaens endelige udseende, så er det da sindssygt vigtigt for et samfund at diskutere, om penge, magt og position virkelig altid skal sættes over kompetencer og faglig viden. Og det er især vigtigt i et samfund som det danske, hvor en tidligere statsministers pøbelleflende catchphrase har givet mange danskere den idiotiske idé, at man bør forsage og bekæmpe smagsdommeri og eksperterviden med hele sit virke. En vildfarelse, der i bedste fald blot avler middelmådige løsninger, og i værste fald ødelægger vores forståelse af det så højt besungne danske videnssamfund.

Hov, nu kom jeg til at skamride en af mine kæpheste igen. Beklager Pointen er såmænd bare den, at Henning Larsens bog har en stor berettigelse i dagens Danmark. Umiddelbart er den måske en lidt uheldig og gumpetung omgang mudderkastning – men den beskriver også et grelt eksempel på den tidstypiske jeg-ved-bedst-selv-tendens, som for alt i verden bør bekæmpes. For uanset om du er Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller eller Maren i kæret, bør du indse dine begrænsninger og lytte til folk, der er klogere end dig selv.
Debatten er ligegyldig af 2 årsager. For det første fordi operaen nu ligger der, med det udseende den har, og det kan ikke ændres. For det andet netop fordi det hele kan koges ned til et simpelt spørgsmål; Kan du li' operaens udseende? Og netop fordi dette i så høj grad handler om smag, er det jo netop nærmest umuligt at have en rationel diskusion om det. For hvem siger at skibsreder Møller ikke lyttede til eksperter og folk med forstand? Alt hvad jeg har læst og set, tyder på at han netop lytter meget til eksperter og foretog en grundig research. Det nogle er sure over, er at han ikke lyttede til Henning Larsen, i hvert fald ikke ifølge Henning Larsen selv, på trods af at han tidligere flere gange har sagt god for facaden, og at han kunne ha' valgt at tage sig gode tøj og gå, hvis det virkeligt var så vigtigt for ham. Men det er netop som jeg skrev, et spørgsmål om smag. For hvem siger at Henning Larsen har mere ret end de andre eksperter? Så det handler faktisk ikke om eksperter og modvilje mod smagsdommere, men om man personligt kan li det endelige udseende.

Og det handler heller ikke om hvor meget magt en stærk man bør have i et samfund. Alle var, eller burde ha' været, helt på det rene med, hvad skibsreder Møller tilbød. Han betalte og han bestemte. At nogle politikkere så trode at de kunne sige ja tak til gaven, og bagefter komme med en masse krav og ønsker, ja det fortæller nok mere om naiviteten blandt visse politikkere. De selv samme som i årevis forinden havde diskuteret hvordan man kunne få et nyt operahus bygget, uden at man egentlig kom frem til ret meget...
cphdude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #8
ch1le
always on
 
ch1le's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: tallinn/Tartu
Posts: 4,582
Likes (Received): 96

very interesting!
__________________
looking for a modern prefabricated home by top estonian and international architects (like MVRDV and NL architects!) - http://katus.eu/en

Also, we are awesome architects - www.sportsport.ee
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #9
ch1le
always on
 
ch1le's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: tallinn/Tartu
Posts: 4,582
Likes (Received): 96

oh, and i would also very much appreciate it if you could keep the information in ENGLISH.

Me and Jarmo cant speak danish so well. But this is fascinating.
__________________
looking for a modern prefabricated home by top estonian and international architects (like MVRDV and NL architects!) - http://katus.eu/en

Also, we are awesome architects - www.sportsport.ee
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #10
Never give up
Registered User
 
Never give up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Copenhagen and Dublin
Posts: 2,397
Likes (Received): 1420

What should the opera have looked like?
Like this!


Last edited by Never give up; February 21st, 2010 at 10:37 AM.
Never give up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:37 PM   #11
ramblersen
Registered User
 
ramblersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 3,016
Likes (Received): 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisling View Post
Jeg synes bestemt ikke, at det er en ligegyldig debat. Hvis vi sætter det hele lidt på spidsen, så handler denne sag jo i bund og grund om, hvor meget du som "stærk mand" kan tillade dig – både i forhold til dine rådgivere og tilknyttede specialister, men så sandelig også i forhold til resten af samfundet.

Uanset om man er for eller imod Operaens endelige udseende, så er det da sindssygt vigtigt for et samfund at diskutere, om penge, magt og position virkelig altid skal sættes over kompetencer og faglig viden. Og det er især vigtigt i et samfund som det danske, hvor en tidligere statsministers pøbelleflende catchphrase har givet mange danskere den idiotiske idé, at man bør forsage og bekæmpe smagsdommeri og eksperterviden med hele sit virke. En vildfarelse, der i bedste fald blot avler middelmådige løsninger, og i værste fald ødelægger vores forståelse af det så højt besungne danske videnssamfund.

Hov, nu kom jeg til at skamride en af mine kæpheste igen. Beklager Pointen er såmænd bare den, at Henning Larsens bog har en stor berettigelse i dagens Danmark. Umiddelbart er den måske en lidt uheldig og gumpetung omgang mudderkastning – men den beskriver også et grelt eksempel på den tidstypiske jeg-ved-bedst-selv-tendens, som for alt i verden bør bekæmpes. For uanset om du er Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller eller Maren i kæret, bør du indse dine begrænsninger og lytte til folk, der er klogere end dig selv.
I totally agree with you in pretty much everything. Only I'm not sure that the jeg-ved-bedst-selv-tendens you are talking about is so typical of out time as much as it is typical of any time. Remember these two fellas, the guy on the high horse interfered rather a lot, though to a much nicer result one might argue:



As for cphdude's observation that the discussion is irrelevant for the simple reason that the building's already there and won't go away, I don't follow it. In order not to repeat the errors of the past, it may sometimes be useful to reflect on them and what went wrong.
ramblersen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:25 AM   #12
cphdude
Timelord victorious
 
cphdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: København
Posts: 2,678
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblersen View Post
I totally agree with you in pretty much everything. Only I'm not sure that the jeg-ved-bedst-selv-tendens you are talking about is so typical of out time as much as it is typical of any time. Remember these two fellas, the guy on the high horse interfered rather a lot, though to a much nicer result one might argue:



As for cphdude's observation that the discussion is irrelevant for the simple reason that the building's already there and won't go away, I don't follow it. In order not to repeat the errors of the past, it may sometimes be useful to reflect on them and what went wrong.
Which was only part of my argument, made mainly from a practical point of view. The other - and far more important one - was that nothing indicated that Møller didnt listen to experts and advisors. In fact there are clear evidence that he did. Just not - at least acording to him - Henning Larsen. So you may think that was wrong, but you can not view this in some greater context of an overall policy of "not wanting to listen to experts" as Pisling does here. Because that is simply not the argument. And as I said, this is an argument, not of policy, but of taste. People are upset, not that they didnt listen to experts, but that they didnt listen to one very specific expert. Or so we are led to believe, despite some very shaky evidence...

And that, is why the argument is pointless. Because is is an argument of taste. If you want to argue visions, or experts or how much influence money and the power of money have in a democracy, fine. Wonderful. Ill happely discuss any of that. But you cant just put it all in one pot, give it a good stir and try and argue the whole thing at oce, especially when those things arent connected in this case.
cphdude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM   #13
Pisling
Construction Time Again
 
Pisling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 1,239
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude View Post
Debatten er ligegyldig af 2 årsager. For det første fordi operaen nu ligger der, med det udseende den har, og det kan ikke ændres. For det andet netop fordi det hele kan koges ned til et simpelt spørgsmål; Kan du li' operaens udseende? Og netop fordi dette i så høj grad handler om smag, er det jo netop nærmest umuligt at have en rationel diskusion om det.
I agree, it's extremely difficult to discuss taste. But as I also wrote in my previous post, I don't think the core of this debate is a question about (good) taste vs. (bad) taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisling View Post
Uanset om man er for eller imod Operaens endelige udseende, så er det da sindssygt vigtigt for et samfund at diskutere, om penge, magt og position virkelig altid skal sættes over kompetencer og faglig viden... Umiddelbart er den måske en lidt uheldig og gumpetung omgang mudderkastning – men den beskriver også et grelt eksempel på den tidstypiske jeg-ved-bedst-selv-tendens, som for alt i verden bør bekæmpes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude View Post
For hvem siger at skibsreder Møller ikke lyttede til eksperter og folk med forstand? Alt hvad jeg har læst og set, tyder på at han netop lytter meget til eksperter og foretog en grundig research.
Well, he did listen, that's true. But did he listen to experts and people with the right insight and knowhow? As far as I know, he listened to his associates, employees, family and friends – sure, they might have had some interesting opinions, but experts? No, I don't think so.

Regarding his insanely thorough research, I don't think it has been a benefit for the project either. Here's a snippet from Henning Larsen's book:

Quote:
Originally Posted by De skal sige tak!
»Det, at han krævede, at alle ideer skulle være prøvet før - helst at det var noget, han kunne se et eller andet sted i verden, blokerede for enhver form for nytænkning, fantasi og kreativitet, for alle unikke og epokegørende tanker og eksperimenter«.
What a shame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude View Post
Men det er netop som jeg skrev, et spørgsmål om smag. For hvem siger at Henning Larsen har mere ret end de andre eksperter?
Henning Larsen was chosen as the primary architect on the Opera project, so yes, of course his ideas and opinions was of greater importance than others. And again, which other experts in architecture did Møller consult?
__________________
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Last edited by Pisling; February 22nd, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Pisling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:47 AM   #14
ramblersen
Registered User
 
ramblersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 3,016
Likes (Received): 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude View Post
Which was only part of my argument, made mainly from a practical point of view. The other - and far more important one - was that nothing indicated that Møller didnt listen to experts and advisors. In fact there are clear evidence that he did. Just not - at least acording to him - Henning Larsen. So you may think that was wrong, but you can not view this in some greater context of an overall policy of "not wanting to listen to experts" as Pisling does here. Because that is simply not the argument. And as I said, this is an argument, not of policy, but of taste. People are upset, not that they didnt listen to experts, but that they didnt listen to one very specific expert. Or so we are led to believe, despite some very shaky evidence...

And that, is why the argument is pointless. Because is is an argument of taste. If you want to argue visions, or experts or how much influence money and the power of money have in a democracy, fine. Wonderful. Ill happely discuss any of that. But you cant just put it all in one pot, give it a good stir and try and argue the whole thing at oce, especially when those things arent connected in this case.
What you write is simply not true, I have heard nothing which indicates that he listened to qualified and relevant "experts in architecture/aestetics" - when you make a building your architect is your expert to these sides of it. And even if he did listen to other experts, it sounds like a pretty terrible approach to me to first hire one guy and then rely on what all sorts of other people think. That won't bring out the best in any of the concepts and you might just as well have chosen someone else in the first place.

Still it is well-documented and obvious that it to a large extent came down to his personal taste. I find your view that EVERYTHING is a matter of taste both strange and sad. Basically you are saying that there is no need for architects since everything comes down to taste and that nothing is good nor bad. Of course there is good and bad architecture and if you insist on your taste-rethorics, the point is that the taste of an architect is better than that of a shipping tycoon (or my grandma) - since it is his field of expertise. Just like a shipping tycoon is more qualified to operate a shipping business than an architect.

Still imo it went wrong already when Henning Larsen was selected as the architect (and THAT is a question of taste). But unlike this thread, this discussion is pretty pointless, it is quite easy for people who don't find it interesting or relevant simply to leave it alone.
ramblersen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:53 AM   #15
Pisling
Construction Time Again
 
Pisling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 1,239
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblersen View Post
I totally agree with you in pretty much everything. Only I'm not sure that the jeg-ved-bedst-selv-tendens you are talking about is so typical of out time as much as it is typical of any time. Remember these two fellas, the guy on the high horse interfered rather a lot, though to a much nicer result one might argue:

Hehe, you got a point! And it might just be an over interpretation, but I find the jeg-ved-bedst-selv-trend to be predominant in our time. Besides our political climate, I think it somehow relates to simple things like talentshows, reality TV and an increasing DIY-mentality. It's not all bad, but sometimes people really should accept their limitations and listen to experts and advisors.
__________________
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
Pisling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:37 PM   #16
cphdude
Timelord victorious
 
cphdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: København
Posts: 2,678
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisling View Post
I agree, it's extremely difficult to discuss taste. But as I also wrote in my previous post, I don't think the core of this debate is a question about (good) taste vs. (bad) taste.
Well, it is really, since the basis of most peoples argument is that the opera as it is now, is ugly and "oh, if he had only listent to Henning Larsen". That is taste, and as I said, we can argue that, just be honest about what we argue.

Quote:
Well, he did listen, that's true. But did he listen to experts and people with the right insight and knowhow? As far as I know, he listened to his associates, employees, family and friends – sure, they might have had some interesting opinions, but experts? No, I don't think so.
Well, I beg to differ. Everything I have ever seen or read about the project -and about Mærsk - tells me that he is a man who values the advice of experts. Now, it is true that he has also been firm with the artists and creative types in tearms of deadline (something that goes to the very heart of the nature of who he is) but he does value knowledge and experts. That doesnt mean he wont challange them on every detail, again, thats just the way he is, but if their arguments are sound, he will listen...

Quote:
Regarding his insanely thorough research, I don't think it has been a benefit for the project either. Here's a snippet from Henning Larsen's book:

What a shame...
Perhaps my biggest confusion about this whole thing, is why Henning Larsen became, not only the only one with taste and vision, but also the man with the absolute truth...He aproved the project including the facade several times. Even when the big boys from the archicture...preservation..whatever they are called, were prepared to stongly criticise the project. Now Henning Larsen says that he was threatened by Mærsk to aprove the project. Well, we only have his word for that. The word of a man who, if that is true, lied for the sake of money. A man who could have walked away, if this was really important to him. A man who had worked with Mærsk several time in the past and knew what kind of person he was. That is the truth that we are suposed to accept. Well, perhaps it is true, but thanks to Henning Larsen, his name simply doesnt have the credebility anymore. Because if his is telling the truth now, he was lying before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisling View Post
Henning Larsen was chosen as the primary architect on the Opera project, so yes, of course his ideas and opinions was of greater importance than others. And again, which other experts in architecture did Møller consult?
Well, from what we have learned every other architect (almost) in Henning Larsens own company.

But since you have read the book, and I haven, what does HL say about the other part of the building? Does he also feel that we was not heard on those or is it simply a matter of HL getting 90% of his vission across, except for the one thing, that I believe that Mærst from the begining was pretty clear on...?
cphdude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:46 PM   #17
cphdude
Timelord victorious
 
cphdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: København
Posts: 2,678
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblersen View Post

Still it is well-documented and obvious that it to a large extent came down to his personal taste. I find your view that EVERYTHING is a matter of taste both strange and sad. Basically you are saying that there is no need for architects since everything comes down to taste and that nothing is good nor bad. Of course there is good and bad architecture and if you insist on your taste-rethorics, the point is that the taste of an architect is better than that of a shipping tycoon (or my grandma) - since it is his field of expertise. Just like a shipping tycoon is more qualified to operate a shipping business than an architect.
Well, I hate to disapoint you, but I am fairly sure that architecs have a personal taste as well. And I can asure you that this discusion would also take place, if the original vision was carried out. A discussion by different people for sure, but still a discussion.

As for your other point, that seams a little odd. First you agree that there is good and bad architecture, and then you clam that the architechs vission is always better. Does that mean that there ate no bad architects in the world? That all the ugly building are the fault of the moneymen and not the architechts?

And finally, I dint not say that EVERYTHING is a matter of taste. But the argument concerning the opera is indeed mainly about taste...

Last edited by cphdude; February 22nd, 2010 at 08:52 PM.
cphdude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:03 AM   #18
Pisling
Construction Time Again
 
Pisling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 1,239
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude View Post
Well, it is really, since the basis of most peoples argument is that the opera as it is now, is ugly and “oh, if he had only listent to Henning Larsen”. That is taste, and as I said, we can argue that, just be honest about what we argue.
OK, let’s agree to disagree about that. I still think this debate reaches beyond a simple question of taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude View Post
Perhaps my biggest confusion about this whole thing, is why Henning Larsen became, not only the only one with taste and vision, but also the man with the absolute truth...
Well, I think some of Mærsk’s ideas speaks for itself. For instance, he wanted a facade made completely out of stone – I mean, no glass at all! Luckily the foundation, which was already molded due to Mærsk’s extremely tight deadline, couldn’t bear the weight of heavy stones, so much against his will he had to accept a glass solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude View Post
Now Henning Larsen says that he was threatened by Mærsk to aprove the project. Well, we only have his word for that. The word of a man who, if that is true, lied for the sake of money. A man who could have walked away, if this was really important to him. A man who had worked with Mærsk several time in the past and knew what kind of person he was. That is the truth that we are suposed to accept. Well, perhaps it is true, but thanks to Henning Larsen, his name simply doesnt have the credebility anymore. Because if his is telling the truth now, he was lying before...
Yes, he was lying – but only because he had to. He tried to leave the project, but Mærsk forced him back in. If he left, Mærsk would’ve sued his ass from here and to eternity. Beside the obvious tragedy of this (people losing their jobs etc.), Henning Larsen feared for the final result of the Opera if Mærsk had total control and the ability to force his own ideas through. We’ve discussed this earlier, and again, let’s just agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude View Post
Well, from what we have learned every other architect (almost) in Henning Larsens own company.
Yes, he did ask a lot of other architects at Henning Larsens Tegnestue, and they pretty much said the same as Henning Larsen himself. The responsible team of architects and advisors at HLT (called Opera-gruppen) was 100% behind Henning Larsen, and they where actually encouraging him to make a stand against Mærsk and fight for his (and HLT’s) architectural visions. So yes, Mærsk did talk to people with an architectural background. Sorry, my bad. But the funny thing is, that they said the exact same things as Henning Larsen – perhaps that’s why Mærsk constantly seeked advice from his employees, family and friends. You know, to find some acceptance of his own ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude View Post
But since you have read the book, and I haven, what does HL say about the other part of the building? Does he also feel that we was not heard on those or is it simply a matter of HL getting 90% of his vission across, except for the one thing, that I believe that Mærst from the begining was pretty clear on...?
It’s hard to say whether it’s 25/75, 50/50 or 75/25 in favor of HLT’s initial vision, but in the book you get the impression that Mærsk pretty much (over)ruled everything. I think this snippet sums it up perfectly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by De skal sige tak!
Det var hans projekt, ikke folkets. Og derfor var det ham, og ikke arkitekten, der kontrollerede byggeriet. Problemet var ifølge Henning Larsen, at skibsrederen har forstand på at drive forretning, men meget lidt på æstetik og kreativitet.

»Hans univers bestod af konkrete størrelser,« skriver Henning Larsen og fortæller om »hr. Møllers interesse for toiletter«:

»Højden på toilettet, toiletternes antal, bredde etc. Hr. Møller ville se alt i 1:1.«

De mange detaljer blev indrettet »med hensyn til hr. Møllers og hans hustrus alder og helbredstilstand«. For eksempel forpladsen. Den måtte ikke skråne helt ned i vandet, som Henning Larsen ønskede det, for »hvis uheldet skulle indtræffe, ville hans hustru, der sad i kørestol, trille baglæns ned i vandet.«

Til gengæld var hr. Møller ikke i stand til at sætte detaljerne ind i en helhed, »så de indgik i en overordnet større sammenhæng.«
__________________
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
Pisling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:54 PM   #19
cphdude
Timelord victorious
 
cphdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: København
Posts: 2,678
Likes (Received): 3

On my lunch break, so this may be short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisling View Post
OK, let’s agree to disagree about that. I still think this debate reaches beyond a simple question of taste.
.
Quote:
Well, I think some of Mærsk’s ideas speaks for itself. For instance, he wanted a facade made completely out of stone – I mean, no glass at all! Luckily the foundation, which was already molded due to Mærsk’s extremely tight deadline, couldn’t bear the weight of heavy stones, so much against his will he had to accept a glass solution.
Well, isnt that exactly a matter of taste? It may be a matter of bad taste, but still taste. Would you have reacted like this, if Møller had sugested all glass and HL stone? Probably not. Which says to me, that most of this boils down to, do you like it or nor, or to put it simply; taste.

Quote:
Yes, he was lying – but only because he had to. He tried to leave the project, but Mærsk forced him back in. If he left, Mærsk would’ve sued his ass from here and to eternity. Beside the obvious tragedy of this (people losing their jobs etc.), Henning Larsen feared for the final result of the Opera if Mærsk had total control and the ability to force his own ideas through. We’ve discussed this earlier, and again, let’s just agree to disagree
Yeah, but again...Once you clearly lie once, its pretty hard to be trustworthy ever again. I know in these paradise hotel times, when the main qualification for "making it" seems to be mainly lying, but the truth matters, at least to me. And if he did lie, he did it for the worst possible reason. Money. He could have walked, but decided to take the money and shut up. Fine by me, but if that is your choice, dont came back afterwords and start bitching about it...You made your choice, now deal with it.

Quote:
Yes, he did ask a lot of other architects at Henning Larsens Tegnestue, and they pretty much said the same as Henning Larsen himself. The responsible team of architects and advisors at HLT (called Opera-gruppen) was 100% behind Henning Larsen, and they where actually encouraging him to make a stand against Mærsk and fight for his (and HLT’s) architectural visions. So yes, Mærsk did talk to people with an architectural background. Sorry, my bad. But the funny thing is, that they said the exact same things as Henning Larsen – perhaps that’s why Mærsk constantly seeked advice from his employees, family and friends. You know, to find some acceptance of his own ideas...
Well, it is his money, so he doesnt really need accept from others, be he obviously didnt draw the thing himself. People may heve encouraged HL to stand up, but he didnt. He even stoped Akademirådet from reacting to the facade.

Quote:
It’s hard to say whether it’s 25/75, 50/50 or 75/25 in favor of HLT’s initial vision, but in the book you get the impression that Mærsk pretty much (over)ruled everything. I think this snippet sums it up perfectly:
Quite funny, but also quite cencible, wouldnt you say? The problem most people seem to have with Mærsk, is that he is a micromanager and gets involved with every detail. And he often - from everything I have seen and read about the man - points out lot of things, that noone has ever thought about. And I think especially architects take offence to that. They are not used to being questioned about their work. A huge part about Mærsk people say, it that he doesnt tolorate smartness. Doesnt care for it. To him that most important thing, is that it works. So when he points out that the toilets need to be a certain height or that the ground in front needs to be leval, it may seem to the architects as inteference and as though he is making demands for his own private palace, but mainly he is a man, who has identified problems with other building, and now want to make sure the same thing doesnt happen here...
cphdude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:58 PM   #20
ramblersen
Registered User
 
ramblersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 3,016
Likes (Received): 467

Npw everybody has had their chance to comment on this matter, isn't it time to get back to the topic? I personally find it too interesting to drown in this futile debate. And those who think it's irrelevant can easily just retire to the "stypid news from our region"-thread or some other exciting place. Just a suggestion

Last edited by ramblersen; February 23rd, 2010 at 07:13 PM.
ramblersen no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu