daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > Nigeria > Urbanism related discussions > Regional Developments > South West

Old May 29th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #1
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Likes (Received): 381

Lagos | Lagos Cable Transit Project | Transit | Approved

Project Sector: Transport
Project Subsector: Terrestrial
Project Value: USD 275
Project Presenter: Captain Dapo Olumide & Fernando Balderrama, African Development Bank

Quote:
Lagos is a growing megacity with over 16 million people today. A city of such proportions needs an efficient mass transport system that caters to transit needs. However, the existing roadway infrastructure, in which current mass transport options rely, is heavily overcrowded. Lagosians spend up to 6 hours of their work day commuting in heavy traffic. Plans have been elaborated by Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) to improve Lagos mass trasportation by developing Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), Light Rail Transit and Monorail transit lines. Although the BRT has been implemented, the sytem’s capacity is 200,000 people. And with recurrent delays in the implementation of the Light Rail/Monorail transit systems, commuter demand is left unmet.

Cable Propelled Transit (CPT) systems provide a swift, modern and sustainable answer to Lagos’ needs for mass transportation as it: i) avoids resettlement issues (which in a city of 20,000-25,000 people per square kilometer can be substantial); ii) can be adapted to the local context (e.g. water crossing without need to build bridges); iii) is environmentally friendly; iv) is easily expandable; and v) represents proven technology (9,715 Projects developed in 85 countries). Acting as MLA in this US$ 280 million transaction, the Bank expects to raise up to $140 million in additional financing from DFIs and commercial lenders. Operational within 18 months of financial close, the Project stands to impact the lives of up to 350,000 daily commuters through 10 km of Tricable Ropeway Technology, reducing commuting times from 2 to 3 hours to 15 minutes.
http://cg-la.com/en/gilf5menu/featured-projects#lagos

"We're Americans, we don't quit just 'cause we're wrong! We just keep doing the wrong thing 'till it turns out right!" - Boondocks
GAR3TH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 29th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #2
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Quote:
Appointed Lenders’ Technical Advisor in Nigerian cable transit project
The Lagos Cable Transit Project is an African first. The project involves the construction of three Cable Propelled Transit (CPT) lines for mass transit which will link Lagos Island with Lagos Mainland. It will also link residential and business areas of the city within Nigeria’s commercial capital.

The implementation of the CPT lines is intended to replicate the success of similar CPT lines in Caracas, Venezuela and Medellin, Colombia and if successful, could serve as a model for implementation of similar systems in other congested African cities.

The African Development Bank (AfDB) and other lenders were approached by Trico Capital Nigeria Limited (a Nigerian project developer and financial adviser) and Stonehedge Investments Limited to participate in the financing of the Lagos Cable Transit Project.

Aurecon has been appointed Lenders’ Technical Advisor by the AfDB to provide ongoing advice and to support the lenders’ due diligence before and after financial closure. Our expertise, understanding of the growing cable transit industry, a strong African-based team and robust methodology led to Aurecon being awarded this project.
http://aurecongroup.com/en/About/Lat...w-Zealand.aspx

"We're Americans, we don't quit just 'cause we're wrong! We just keep doing the wrong thing 'till it turns out right!" - Boondocks
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #3
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

aurecon group announced that they won the bid for the project.

Old May 29th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Naijaborn

Likes (Received): 736

Wow!! This is Fantastic!!
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #5
Motul
#_#

Likes (Received): 7259

Great new for Nigeria. This is the system in Medellin, the precursor of this:

MetroCable Medellin:

Lineas K (2 km) y J (2,7 km) -Transporte masivo:

Linea L (4,5 km) -Turistico- Este conecta a un parque ecologico en las montanyas de Medellin. Es una excelente iniciativa porque conecta directamente desde el metro y en cuestión de 15 minutos nos lleva a un hermoso paraje natural que nos permite desconectarnos de ajetreo citadino:

︷︸︸ ︷ ︸︷
︷︸

Latinoamérica

Fifa World Cup -Colombia 2026-
Motul está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #6
megacity

Likes (Received): 71

i wonder if people with fear of heights will like to ride this form of transport. If this is completed along with the other stuff, lagosians will have lots of transport options.
megacity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Akwafinaa
Reloaded

Likes (Received): 0

HMM....Obudu Ranch!
Akwafinaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Akwafinaa
Reloaded

I still remember a friend telling me, "make the rope no cut oh"! Lagos has a large market for this.
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Naijaborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akwafinaa View Post
I still remember a friend telling me, "make the rope no cut oh"! Lagos has a large market for this.
:
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #10
Tbite
Expert

This is the first time I am hearing of cable...as a transportation option

I always thought it was just a for tourism.
Nigeria's Military Achievements: Longest Range Vessels in Africa, Most Extensive Global Missions in Africa, Most advanced surveillance capability in Sub-Saharan Africa, Most geographically experienced Military in Africa (Familiar with almost every terrain)
Key World Cup Men: Mikel, Victor Moses, Onazi, Emenike, Enyeama, Osaze, Omeruo, Ambrose
Tbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Motul
#_#

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacity View Post
i wonder if people with fear of heights will like to ride this form of transport. If this is completed along with the other stuff, lagosians will have lots of transport options.

She became a celebrity in Colombia XD.

BTW: I've never heard worse insults being spoken, in any language "eat shit fucking ghonorreic mother fucker". "I knew this ghonorreic dog full of sarna was planning against me, thats why I'm in this piece of shit". "Eat shit, you venereal diseases, I'm getting off of this all ghonorreic", "son of three thousand bithces.. Sir, stop this, stop this!" XDD

︷︸︸ ︷ ︸︷
︷︸

Latinoamérica

Last edited by Motul; May 29th, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old May 30th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #12
N.A.R.

Likes (Received): 13

I am a fan of technology, but i a city of 13 million people in dire need to transportation solutions, I am unsure cable transport can really help solve Mass transit problems in Lagos. Fashola needs to concentrate on the Lagos Metro rail system. This might work in certain segments of Lagos, possibly.
N.A.R. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #13
HerachioBlo
MajeOfficial.com

Likes (Received): 1808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motul View Post

She became a celebrity in Colombia XD.

BTW: I've never heard worse insults being spoken, in any language "eat shit fucking ghonorreic mother fucker". "I knew this ghonorreic dog full of sarna was planning against me, thats why I'm in this piece of shit". "Eat shit, you venereal diseases, I'm getting off of this all ghonorreic", "son of three thousand bithces.. Sir, stop this, stop this!" XDD
LMFAAOO!!!

I think it's great. The increase of transport options is nice and this will add an interesting dynamic to life in Lagos. I see it as a more of a liesure option for traveling, something you would ride on vacation or on a date or family visit, but if we can take those people off the roads and into the sky more power to the initiative, that alone will be beneficial.

we already see how popular the cable at obudu is. A good point was raise about Nigerian fear of heights lol. It seems funny but it's very real and true, that's why i think it will be a nice addition to lagos but it's popularity for everyday use is questionable. i doubt there will be lines for it's use.
HerachioBlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:23 AM   #14
Motul
#_#

The cables are used mostly by people in the poorest neighborhoods, which used to be marginalized by the sheer time it took them to descend from the hills.. It used to take them 2 hours, now it takes 20 minutes.. The cabe cars connect directly to metro trasference stations, where they can hop on the subway and go anywhere in town

︷︸︸ ︷ ︸︷
︷︸

Latinoamérica

Old May 31st, 2012, 12:58 AM   #15
Akwafinaa
Reloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motul View Post
The cables are used mostly by people in the poorest neighborhoods, which used to be marginalized by the sheer time it took them to descend from the hills.. It used to take them 2 hours, now it takes 20 minutes.. The cabe cars connect directly to metro trasference stations, where they can hop on the subway and go anywhere in town
Nice arrangement.
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:14 AM   #16
Motul
#_#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akwafinaa View Post
Nice arrangement.

This is what the transferrence station looks like. Lower part: metro, upper part: cable car.

And this is the future BRT/Metro transference station:

First public stairs in the poor neighborhoods:

This is the whole system (50km). I think Medellin has developed a very good transport model for developing countries:

︷︸︸ ︷ ︸︷
︷︸

Latinoamérica

Last edited by Motul; May 31st, 2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:59 AM   #17
Naijaborn

I only hope, the one in Lagos, would be as beautiful as that.

Nigeria and colombia can actually benefit one another a lot. we are Similar, in many ways, and both countries have the same climate..... Nigeria could look at Colombia or Malaysia, for tropically resistant buildings and infrastructure.
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #18
Tbite
Expert

Nigeria's Military Achievements: Longest Range Vessels in Africa, Most Extensive Global Missions in Africa, Most advanced surveillance capability in Sub-Saharan Africa, Most geographically experienced Military in Africa (Familiar with almost every terrain)
Key World Cup Men: Mikel, Victor Moses, Onazi, Emenike, Enyeama, Osaze, Omeruo, Ambrose
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #19
Tegh7

Likes (Received): 139

Seen this a while back. At least it's practical. However, I doubt that it can address the transportation problem in any significant way. Lagos needs mass transit initiatives.
Tegh7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #20
Tbite
Expert

If you watched the interview - all the issues are covered