daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 29th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #1
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

NEW YORK | 55 Hudson Yards | 237m | 778ft | 51 fl | T/O

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previously:

This tower adjoining the Hudson Yards site has been going through various site owners and designs. A 17 story podium will be the first element of the large 'boutique office' project.

At far left:

http://www.newyorkyimby.com/2012/05/...o-rise-on.html

No specifics, but this will be 56 floors and 1.7 MSF. Renderings are out of date, but this should be 1,000'+. WOOHOO! Another win for NYC, and Hudson Yards will ultimately make Dubai's 'Marina Towers' look puny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As One Hudson Yards, envisioned by a previous developer as a 1,000 ft. office tower:

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter

TowerVerre:), Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; April 4th, 2015 at 04:42 AM.
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #2
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

I haven't had a closer look but how can a 56 story building be 1000 Ft plus ? Headroom is good but ?
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #3
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

This is the site of the former World Product Center which itself was to be a supertall:

So now four supertalls at Hudson Yards with more at Brookfield's Manhattan West development and still an as yet unknown height for a 900 unit apartment tower Brookfield may be developing. Excitement accrues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I haven't had a closer look but how can a 56 story building be 1000 Ft plus ? Headroom is good but ?
As a flat top, it could fall anywhere between 850 ft and 1,000 ft. But given the designs we're seeing from nearby Related projects and the possibility of some kind of spire or crown, this could go much higher. The BoA tower is 54 stories and 1,200 ft tall...

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; May 30th, 2012 at 12:40 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #4
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

NY Post

Quote:
Extell’s One Hudson Yards is set to soar

Last Updated: 1:02 AM, May 29, 2012
Posted: 11:27 PM, May 28, 2012

Original Kohn Pederson Fox design for the World Product Center.

Extell just tapped Jones Lang LaSalle to find tenants for the 56-story, 1.7 million square office tower to rise on the east blockfront of 11th Avenue between W. 33rd and 34th streets. The project was first announced in 2009, when Barnett was to partner with Israel Green in what was then called the World Product Center. But plans for the arresting, Kohn Pedersen Fox-designed tower went on hold. Extell and Green parted ways and the site is today an empty lot.

Now, Barnett’s again itching to build. “We believe we have the best location in the area, on terra firma [rather than above a rail yard]. We’re right at the new No. 7 line subway station, at the foot of a new park and across from the Javits Convention Center,” he said.

Barnett won’t start construction without pre-leasing half the tower — “at the rents we’re going to charge, it would be suicidal,” he said. Asked what the rents might be, he said with a laugh, “Between $50 and $100 a square foot.”

Related Cos. is the designated developer of the Hudson Yards rail site bounded by 10th and 12th avenues and West 30th-33rd streets. Extell’s site is just north of it in what city officials call the “Hudson Yards area.” Was Barnett worried the name might steam up Related chief Stephen M. Ross?
“I’m not interested in steaming up anybody, much less Steve Ross,” Barnett told us.mBut Ross fumed, “I don’t know why he is trying to deceive tenants and the public.”

Barnett said he’s cooperated closely with the MTA on the new subway station and helped the agency assemble the site. He said station construction also put in place some of the foundation for his tower, which will reduce Extell’s cost and allow it to build swiftly. “We have the ability to begin vertical construction by the end of the year,” he said, “and the ability for our tenants to do their buildouts in 2015.”

[...]
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz1wFNtQcBf

Zaz965 liked this post
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #5
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

NY is going crazy. And it says construction will begin later this year... seems like by the end of 2012 we could see a couple of supertalls being built- just when One57 and 1 and 4WTC are T/O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
That's not surprising. A low floor count doesn't necessarily mean a small(er) building, especially if we talk about office buildings which have a pretty big ceiling height nowadays. The Coach Tower (the shorter Hudson Yards Tower) has 54 floors, yet will be 1017 feet tall, to the roof.
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #6
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

Maybe I am getting confused with feet and metres ? but a 54 floor residential building would be pushing to top 1000ft ? Office buildings have higher ceilings but even then 54 floors still don't reach near that. Our apartments here in Melbourne have near 90 floors but still just miss the supertall list ! Maybe I am just jealous ? haaa look forward to seeing Manhattan continue to do it's thing............growing!
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28197

The smallest of the Hudson Yards towers is 310 m with 54 floors, but it does not have a flat roof.
Not sure what this tower will be like (new design?) but 300+ m should be possible.
Average floor heights are much higher than in my city as well.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #8
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
NY is going crazy. And it says construction will begin later this year...
If Extell can line up tenants then it will. I've got a lot of confidence that they can do that though. Commercial is a different ball game, but while other developers were searching for financing, they got the funds to build One57 and even starting building it with no equity in place, not sure who financed the International Gem Tower but that shot up as well. So Extell has shown they don't like waiting around, so if there's one firm I have have the utmost confidence in to get something built, it's definitely Extell.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #9
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

I have my doubts this will be a supertall.

For example, 7WTC is around 1.7 msf and 52 floors, but only 742 feet tall. But I suppose there are examples of similar office buildings with low floors counts and taller heights. So time will tell.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

I don't understand one thing. Is this building a new project of Hudson Yards or not?
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #11
yankeesfan1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
I don't understand one thing. Is this building a new project of Hudson Yards or not?
The articles are misleading. The Hudson Yards is a neighborhood in Manhattan, which include Related's big development that they've called the Hudson Yards. I hope that made sense.

So this will be in the Hudson Yards neighborhood, but will not be part of Related's development, it's separate.
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #12
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
I have my doubts this will be a supertall.
It certainly will be a close call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
If Extell can line up tenants then it will. I've got a lot of confidence that they can do that though. Commercial is a different ball game, but while other developers were searching for financing, they got the funds to build One57 and even starting building it with no equity in place, not sure who financed the International Gem Tower but that shot up as well. So Extell has shown they don't like waiting around, so if there's one firm I have have the utmost confidence in to get something built, it's definitely Extell.
Yeah, Extell is the developer when it comes to NY sykscrapers. I have faith in them to begin and finish announced projects.
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #13
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22561

does that make 4 (possible) HY supertalls?
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #14
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

It's confusing because there's so much going on.

Related's project which is over the rail yards will have at least three supertalls.

1) the North Tower (1,297')
2) the South Tower (1,017')
3) the mixed-use tower (~1,010')

The Girasole and other towers are rising immediately to the north. Of those...

4) the Girasole (last seen at 1,060' but could be taller, maybe redesigned)
5) Sherwood Tower (1,000'+)
6) One Hudson Yards, (formerly ~990', but the WPC was only 1.2 MSF. this is 1.7 MSF, so it's bigger).

There are more proposals that haven't been revealed yet, but that's the rundown on what we know so far, which would indicate six towers rising on the railyards and along Hudson Boulevard (not including Brookfield's Manhattan West). Marina City, eat your heart out...!

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #15
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

They're trying to bank on the Hudson yard name, to get their tower built. That's like Goldman Sachs calling their building 6WTC or 5WFC.
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #16
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

By my count there are now 15 supertalls at various stages of development in NYC. Including Jersey City, make that 16! Fat times for us!

Zaz965 liked this post
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #17
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 422

OMG! 4 supertalls now? If so, WOW! Not long ago we were expecting a supertall and a building just under 300m but now we could be getting 4. I'm so glad I will be able to watch this new boom in new york and hopefully see it in person if I visit NY in a couple of years time.
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:02 AM   #18
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I don't count anything going up in Jersey for NYC, so 15 good from where I'm standing.
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #19
Cyclonefan

Likes (Received): 1

does someone have a map of this development and a few blocks in each direction to understand where these buildings will be?

what is the Sherwood tower? and what happened to the world product centre?
Cyclonefan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #20
yankeesfan1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonefan View Post
does someone have a map of this development and a few blocks in each direction to understand where these buildings will be?

what is the Sherwood tower? and what happened to the world product centre?
Thanks to NYGuy for digging this up, I don't know where he got it, but he posted it on SSP. Hopefully this helps clear a few things up. The WPC got cancelled in 2008-09, but this is the same developer, same lot, and the same architecture firm. Sherwood Tower has a thread here, somewhere...

Obviously Related's Hudson Yards is at the bottom, this tower will rise where it says 'Extell', directly to the north of this tower will be the Girasole, and across the street Sherwood Equities tower will rise.

Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
55 hudson yards, hudson yards, nyc