daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:19 PM   #181
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

One Day, Seven Development Chiefs
http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-rea...opment-chiefs/

Jay Cross

Quote:
Related is scrapping Extell's 56-story design for One Hudson Yards (Related acquired the site in a land swap with Extell this summer) and is instead designing a 47-story, 1.3M SF office tower to be called 1 Hudson Blvd, Related Hudson Yards president Jay Cross told the NY Building Congress over breakfast at the Hilton
Quote:
1 Hudson Blvd would arrive in 2017

Eric Offereins liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:23 PM   #182
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28365

Does this lower amount of floors mean that the height will probably be less than the 267 meter in the topic title?
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:33 PM   #183
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

The new design has 14% fewer floors than the old one. If the new design has a flat roof like the old, it will almost certainly be shorter.

Zaz965 liked this post
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:44 AM   #184
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

NY is beyond amazing.

Zaz965 liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 03:35 AM   #185
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

One Hudson Blvd 1st, then North Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
One Day, Seven Development Chiefs
http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-rea...opment-chiefs/

Jay Cross
Thanks for the link. The full quote "1 Hudson Blvd would arrive in 2017 and then the north tower in '18." in the biznow article seems to answer the question I was going to ask.

So, we'll see construction start on top of the foundations provided by the new subway station 1st and then on top of the NE corner/LIRR substation-control tower of the East Rail Yard.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 03:39 AM   #186
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

its definitely called 1 hudson blvd on the drawings.

KPF did the original design for extell and is doing this redesign.

solgoldberg liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 04:41 AM   #187
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

It's a shame... The previous design was so good. I'd rather wait 10 years and see a supertall here, than to see a lackluster skyscraper here.

WillBuild liked this post
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:21 PM   #188
solgoldberg

Could be a nice area next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rencharles View Post
It's a shame... The previous design was so good. I'd rather wait 10 years and see a supertall here, than to see a lackluster skyscraper here.
Doesn't sound like a 10 year wait or supertall will happen, but the new design is by the same company. The site already has a foundation/with a loading dock and an in-basement subway entrance just raring to go. And it's immediately adjacent to THE brand new Hudson Boulevard park, all ~150 x ~200 feet of it...

It's not too difficult to imagine that the surrounding area could be getting quite nice for lunch breaks next year with the park and the phase III high line open. I'm assuming there will be a HL park entrance some place along the south side of 34th on the other side of 11th Ave. Don't know if the trailer parking area will still be there...

Plus you have all the construction to look at in the other directions...
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:04 PM   #189
Vertical_Gotham

Hudson Blvd & Park Map
http://bettercities.net/sites/defaul...8_site_big.jpg

Note: For those who don't know, the Plot marked Extell is now Related Dev project for this tower One Hudson Blvd (formerly One Hudson Yards).

McSky liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:11 PM   #190
Vertical_Gotham

HUDSON PARK AND BOULEVARD
http://www.mvvainc.com/project.php?id=56

msquaredb liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:03 PM   #191
solgoldberg

Quote:
Hudson Blvd & Park Map
http://bettercities.net/sites/defaul...8_site_big.jpg

Note: For those who don't know, the Plot marked Extell is now Related Dev project for this tower One Hudson Blvd (formerly One Hudson Yards).
Thanks for reminding us of the '08 plan. This could explain the current fairly extensive excavations under the future Hudson Boulevard between 34th & 36th St. I was wondering why they were doing so much construction:

Construction of a public parking garage (the “Mid-Block Garage”) directly beneath the Hudson Park and Boulevard system between West 34th and West 36th Streets. The garage will be privately designed, built, maintained and financed.

From an '08 document: http://ddcftp.nyc.gov/rfpweb/docs/rfp/102.pdf
Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:13 PM   #192
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

One must wonder, though, how they're going to stop balls from constantly flying off the "sports bridge."
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #193
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
One must wonder, though, how they're going to stop balls from constantly flying off the "sports bridge."
High fences, which are also around regular playground sport fields.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #194
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

That would make sense, but I haven't seen them on the renders of the bridge:

I'd think fences would ruin the aesthetics.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #195
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post

Construction of a public parking garage (the “Mid-Block Garage”) directly beneath the Hudson Park and Boulevard system between West 34th and West 36th Streets. The garage will be privately designed, built, maintained and financed.

From an '08 document: http://ddcftp.nyc.gov/rfpweb/docs/rfp/102.pdf
Old October 24th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #196
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22576

hopefully this building will have a nicer design now, the previous one was good but I hope they compensate for the lack of height compared to other towers which will rise around it.
I think this will be about 205m, perhaps less

Zaz965 liked this post
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 04:19 AM   #197
solgoldberg

Quote:
Yep.

An example of the excavations under the Blvd/Park is in the June 2013 MTA photo below. This is obviously some kind of below grade structure blasted into the bedrock. The photo is looking east, 35th st is on the left.

image hosted on flickr

Original Metropolitan Transportation Authority / Patrick Cashin: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphot...n/photostream/

When I was there Oct 1st this ~same area basically looked like the upcoming Hudson Blvd. This photo is looking south from 35th, I assume you're looking at the western side of Hudson Blvd, before they add the park portion on the right. To the right of the park would be the tower that the Moinan group builds.I also assume the new lamp posts conform to the Hudson Park design guidelines. The four story masonry exterior building on this photo's left is common to both photos.
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by solgoldberg; October 24th, 2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old October 24th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #198
solgoldberg

Actual design over Lincoln tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
That would make sense, but I haven't seen them on the renders of the bridge:

I'd think fences would ruin the aesthetics.
I assume the actual design will be different,

I'm purely guessing, but they probably will not get up to 39th St till the 2020s. Especially since AFAIK they have no funding for the northern portion.

North of 36th they have build a deck for the park over the old Amtrak cut.

The photo below was taken Oct1st, looking south from 37th St. The Amtrak tracks are on the left, on the other side of the wall. I have no idea how much of this blasted into bedrock area belongs to Amtrak & who owns the rest. The "Javits Hotel" in the 2008 Hudson Park diagrams above would be an overbuild on the subway vent building on the right, the subway vent building in the center distance would be overbuilt by One Hudson.

There is an "Urban Cat League" cat condo sanctuary (on the north side of 36th) hidden by the trees on the left, IKYN.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by solgoldberg; October 24th, 2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old October 24th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #199
McSky

Likes (Received): 1891

Very nice park space shaping up. I didn't realize that the park will cross above 39th, 40th and 41st streets. That's a nice continuous area. Too bad they couldn't have the elevated portion going all the way down to the High Line at 30th, or at least have Hudson Boulevard meeting up with the High Line east of 11th Avenue on 34th Street. Right now the High Line stops on 34th Street about 400-500 feet to the west of Hudson Boulevard. But I suppose the access to the plaza of Coach Tower from the High Line will be good enough. Pedestrians can go north from there to Hudson Boulevard.

Last edited by McSky; October 24th, 2013 at 05:01 AM.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #200
solgoldberg

Phase 3 High Line connection to Hudson Blvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
Very nice park space shaping up. I didn't realize that the park will cross above 39th, 40th and 41st streets. That's a nice continuous area. Too bad they couldn't have the elevated portion going all the way down to the High Line at 30th, or at least have Hudson Boulevard meeting up with the High Line east of 11th Avenue on 34th Street. Right now the High Line stops on 34th Street about 400-500 feet to the west of Hudson Boulevard. But I suppose the access to the plaza of Coach Tower from the High Line will be good enough. Pedestrians can go north from there to Hudson Boulevard.

I was wondering how the north end of the Phase 3 High Line ties into the Hudson Blvd Park and the buildings between the Hudson Blvd Park & 11th Ave. As you say "Right now the High Line stops on 34th Street about 400-500 feet to the west of Hudson Boulevard."

The Moinian Group's development director made this point in August about their project integrating into Hudson Yards:

Quote:
Second—and most people don’t realize this—is that the High Line is going to terminate, when it is fully completed, at 34th and 11th, kitty-corner to the site.
http://commercialobserver.com/2013/0...-hudson-yards/

He might have just been stating the obvious, but maybe "they" have plans on connecting it somehow to a lower level of One Hudson. The HL comes down to a surface level (the trailer parking lot) that the 11th Ave viaduct is built above. They were using the access under 11th during the subway station construction. AFAIK One and Three Hudson Blvd (Moinian Group) have in-building access to a common upper mezzanine for the subway station, but I'm pretty sure that is below the level of the trailer parking lot/High Line north terminus.

This snippet from Google Earth of 11/5/2012 imagery shows the relationship of the northern terminus of the High Line, the 11the Ave viaduct (you can see the shadow on the parking lot) and the two building site foundations. I assume the dark square & rectangle withing the building sites are the future in-building subway upper mezzanine access. Currently the One Hudson Blvd site has a finished vent building and concrete cap on the foundations/subway access. Three Hudson (between 34th & 35th) still had the orange construction vent tube leading down into the subway access shaft.
image hosted on flickr

Original is Google Earth historical imagery 11/5/2012

JohnFlint1985 liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; October 24th, 2013 at 06:15 PM.

Tags
55 hudson yards, hudson yards, nyc