daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #221
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

lots of assumptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
The platform looks barely higher than a car. But this would make a very cool entrance.
Yeah. There ARE two cutbacks/indents in that model. I'm ASSUMING that they are some kind of vehicle entrances, based upon the reasoning I gave earlier.

I know very little about the overbuild platform, besides the stated foundation start date (NEXT month) and platform "open to the public" date.

The snip below from a zoning document filed in 11/2012 gives you the height of the terra-firma plaza. I assume that the overbuild platform top surface is the same elevation as the terra-firma plaza and from that you could do a lot extrapolation, research & guessing.

Probably better to poke around for whatever documents have been filed with the city for the north tower:
image hosted on flickr

If the weather is decent next week I might "go into the city" and check out the models & renders at the TWC.

And here's the 12-2-2013 W33rd & Hudson Blvd/Park reality courtesy of hardcoreshutterbug's trip up the Ohm building on W30th st. That's the current level of W33rd at the open-to-the-public in June '14 Hudson Blvd (East).
Note that Hudson Blvd (east) is right across 33rd st from the gated ramp down to the LIRR structures (electric substations, control tower, etc.) in the NW corner of the ERY...

image hosted on flickr

snip from hardcoreshutterbug original:

PS: somebody could try checking the modeler's work by comparing how many trees/tree boxes the model has on the west side of Hudson Blvd versus the photo reality of eight (my count).

EDIT: here's a different view of the model @ TWC, looking SW, in which I count 9

field_condition: http://statigr.am/p/604727687143420160_367285443

phoenixboi08, Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 8th, 2013 at 04:08 AM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #222
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

NYC Agency Approves Tax Breaks for Hudson Yards
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...ets-point.html

Quote:
The Industrial Development Agency voted 12-0 with two abstentions to approve a $76.5 million property-tax exemption for New York-based Related Cos. to redesign a 49-story tower in Hudson Yards, according to Ben Branham, chief of staff at the Economic Development Corp. Related will invest $1.2 billion.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #223
solgoldberg

12/11 state of #7 subway head house

There's progress on the headhouse for the #7 subway entrance, but there are less than three weeks left in Mayor Bloomberg's administration:

image hosted on flickr

Looking SW from the south side of 34th right around W Hudson Blvd.

Subsequence, desertpunk liked this post
Old December 14th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #224
Vertical_Gotham

iamtheSTIG, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old December 14th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #225
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
There's progress on the headhouse for the #7 subway entrance, but there are less than three weeks left in Mayor Bloomberg's administration:

image hosted on flickr

Looking SW from the south side of 34th right around W Hudson Blvd.
I'm surprised that headhouse isn't already shrouded with supergrahics as the MTA squeezes every avenue for income...

Subsequence liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #226
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

One of the things that strikes me about this design is that it blocks northern views of two-thirds of the apartments in the E-Tower, which already has all of its eastern views blocked by the TW Tower, and will have a lot of its west views blocked by Phase 2. I tend to think that 55 HB and the E-Tower will both become taller, thinner and situated differently to maximize views.

[IMG]http://media-cache-pvh m
ak0.pinimg.com/736x/63/d6/31/63d63197dffbfb65b4e18d51534b8088.jpg[/IMG]

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #227
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
One of the things that strikes me about this design is that it blocks northern views of two-thirds of the apartments in the E-Tower, which already has all of its eastern views blocked by the TW Tower, and will have a lot of its west views blocked by Phase 2. I tend to think that 55 HB and the E-Tower will both become taller, thinner and situated differently to maximize views.

I think that Ross expects the whole Yards to be dense with supertalls anyway and that is what the HY is zoned for. For example, the North towers views will be eventually blocked by Manhattan West and if it's not 50 HY, then it would be blocked by Sherwood's site. The Equinox already will be blocked by HY North, Culture Tower and Girasole.

Honestly the way to mitigate this issue, especially when it comes to the North tower is not to shorten it. Keep it with its 1335 height or make it taller to maintain unimpeded views. This part I don't understand.

Since Ross will be living In the equinox, make it taller too but no matter how you slice it the equinox will have blocked views in either scenario.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Old December 15th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #228
solgoldberg

7 Main entrance core&shell complete this month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I'm surprised that headhouse isn't already shrouded with supergrahics as the MTA squeezes every avenue for income...
The MTA is criticized for not doing enough to maximize income AND it's criticized when it does add income generation...

Anyway, I tried to find a recent "official status" for the primary entrance/headhouse for the #7 subway extension (the overall extension still has a June '14 revenue service start date). The entrance in Hudson Blvd Park abuts the future 55 Hudson Yards.
The closest I've come is the MTA's latest NYCT & Bus Committee meeting (November 2013) wherein the MTA CC provided
"Site J (Main Entrance to 34th St Station and Vent Building) Excavation and Core & Shell" contract forecast completion is still Dec-2013.

The committee report page 276 does NOT list a separate contract for station entrance finishes.http://www.mta.info/mta/news/books/p...s.pdf#page=276
So I do not know if the station entrance headhouse (the above ground portion) is supposed to be in a totally finished form by the end of this month. If it's supposed to be totally finished it look like they have a decent amount of finish work left.

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 16th, 2013 at 03:02 AM.
Old December 16th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #229
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I think that Ross expects the whole Yards to be dense with supertalls anyway and that is what the HY is zoned for. For example, the North towers views will be eventually blocked by Manhattan West and if it's not 50 HY, then it would be blocked by Sherwood's site. The Equinox already will be blocked by HY North, Culture Tower and Girasole.

Honestly the way to mitigate this issue, especially when it comes to the North tower is not to shorten it. Keep it with its 1335 height or make it taller to maintain unimpeded views. This part I don't understand.

Since Ross will be living In the equinox, make it taller too but no matter how you slice it the equinox will have blocked views in either scenario.
Considering that Related owns a lot of the HY, he can coordinate the towers to maximize views.

MW, which won't rise for years, is a full block east of the TW and Coach Towers, and thus, it's not an issue.
Old December 16th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #230
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
thus, it's not an issue.
True.. for the meantime.

On a side note...

There is an article saying to build 55 Hudson Yards (Extell Tower) is $1.2 Billion!

For this estimated cost, this tower should be a supertall. Dang.

Going Out With Building Boom, Mayor Pushes Billions in Projects
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ment.html?_r=0

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; December 16th, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old December 16th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #231
solgoldberg

$1.2B for One HY-> 55 HY seems like a LOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
True.. for the meantime.

On a side note...

There is an article saying to build 55 Hudson Yards (Extell Tower) is $1.2 Billion!

For this estimated cost, this tower should be a supertall. Dang.

Going Out With Building Boom, Mayor Pushes Billions in Projects
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ment.html?_r=0
Thanks for posting the NYT article.
$1.2B for 55 Hudson Yards seems like a lot of money, but maybe the NYT's cost estimate is derived from the original Extell One Hudson Yards development project. In 2012 the NYP assigned a $1-billion figure to the Extell 56-story, 1.7 million square office tower project.

Further, that May 29, 2012 NYP article states:
Quote:
Barnett said he’s cooperated closely with the MTA on the new subway station and helped the agency assemble the site. He said station construction also put in place some of the foundation for his tower, which will reduce Extell’s cost and allow it to build swiftly.
“We have the ability to begin vertical construction by the end of the year,” he said, “and the ability for our tenants to do their buildouts in 2015.”
http://nypost.com/2012/05/29/extells...s-set-to-soar/

The 19-month old NYP article also has a a more informative rendering of the Extell overbuild:

image hosted on flickr

NYP: WESTWARD BOUND: A rendering of Extell's planned $1 billion tower at the Far West Side development site, with the new No. 7 subway entrance in front.
NOTE: This is a stale render posted here just for reference as to how Extell rendered THEIR overbuild. The currently-existing 33rd st vent building is in the left (south) side of the Extell render.

Four months prior to Extell's statement that they "have the ability to begin vertical construction by the end of the year (2012), the site was captured in the NY MTA photo below. I think the upper pit in the foreground is the upper mezzanine for the subway station. 55 Hudson Yards would connect to the upper mezz. The vent building foundations go in the deeper pit on the left (south) side.
image hosted on flickr

MTAPhotos/Patrick Cashin 1/26/2012http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphot...57629129283839

Both the MTA photo and the Extell render are looking in the same general SW direction, as is my week old photo repeated below.
image hosted on flickr

12/11/2013

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 16th, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old December 19th, 2013, 04:36 AM   #232
solgoldberg

Mayor Bloomberg WILL ride the #7 extension Friday

No mention if he will actually use the entrance adjacent to 55 HY.

The NY Post reports "Extensive work still needs to done on the station itself."
http://nypost.com/2013/12/16/mayor-b...-7-train-stop/

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TION/131219903

MTA Photo below shows the primary entrance & 55 HY foundations in March 2012. The 55HY foundations & vent building will rise in the pit at photo top, but most of the Hudson Blvd/Park excavation/foundations has already been covered up in the foreground.
33rd St is on left, 34th st on right, 11th Ave viaduct at top

image hosted on flickr

MTA(CC) photo. CC stands for Capital Construction http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/7256249444/

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 19th, 2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old December 21st, 2013, 02:38 AM   #233
solgoldberg

Interior of unfinished station

The ceremonial trip from Times Square station to the 34th Strre Hudson yards produced photos of the dignitaries and the 34th St station, but I found no current photos of the upper mezzanine under hUdson Blvd Park & 55 HY.

Here's an MTA render of what the finished lower mezz will look like, hopefully in June '14.

The Exit -> sign in the render is pointing to the LONG stairs & escalator that lead you up to the upper mezz on the sign board in the photo below. This is a bkabak photo taken today in the unfinished lower mezz during the Mayor Bloomberg ceremony:
image hosted on flickr

bkabak flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/benyankee/11468883154/
Diagram is looking north, with the cross section slice ~halfway between 33rd & 34th St. and a stale artist's placeholder for the 55 Hudson Yards tower in upper center of the sign board.

TowerVerre:) liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 21st, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #234
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

This is ever-so-slowly moving along.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #235
solgoldberg

Thanks for the #7 extension entrance photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
This is ever-so-slowly moving along.
Certainly seems to be slow & I think that is reflected in the recent statements of opening later this year, NOT the former June 2014.

I assume that you saw the recent real estate plug from the across-34th-street's 3 Hudson Blvd development director? He stated that he was convinced that 3 Hudson Blvd would have a tenant by year end.

If that happens you might have a Moinan Group groundbreaking ceremony at the site that has been THE 34th St station access shaft since 2008.

Is there an anchor tenant announced for 55 Hudson Yards?

Last edited by solgoldberg; January 10th, 2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old January 28th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #236
Vertical_Gotham

Stephen Ross West Side Story
http://commercialobserver.com/2014/0...st-side-story/

Quote:
More development is on the horizon, with a 32-story apartment tower close to completion, 30 Hudson Yards slated for 2018 and 55 Hudson Yards in the pipeline.
Quote:
With these tenants signing on and the mixed-use nature of the project, the project has expanded. We have another residential building under construction, and we hope to start 55 Hudson Yards, which is another 1.35-million-square-foot building. We are negotiating with several tenants for that.

Eric Offereins liked this post
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #237
Vertical_Gotham

I'll post this here because I don't know what to make of it.

Does anyone know what Related/ KPF is cooking up with a new building application just filed for a 364' tower with 17 floors?? Slated to have aprox 393 k sq ft for commercial use.

Address is 550 West 34th Street
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...r=01&restore=1

Note
Check the business name (LLC) under the owners info in the application.
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #238
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Could be the base of 50 HY. RW has suggested a number of times that that tower will have a retail/commercial podium long before the tower rises.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #239
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Could be the base of 50 HY. RW has suggested a number of times that that tower will have a retail/commercial podium long before the tower rises.
Yea. that's interesting...But I thought he was referring to the McDonalds site at 50 Hudson?
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #240
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

That's the one I'm talking about. I don't know how to look up the exact addresses of these sites -- just looking on Google Maps, 550 W. 34th is about halfway between the 50 and 55 Hudson Yards sites. Do we know the address(es) of the McD's site?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 hudson yards, hudson yards, nyc