daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #381
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
If true, it would be the second time that they scrap a great design on this lot
Agreed. If this deal goes through, JPMC will have a lot to live up to in terms of design.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #382
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I hope they don't change this design, I've always wanted a vintage-modernist revival design, at least just one
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #383
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Agreed. If this deal goes through, JPMC will have a lot to live up to in terms of design.
I completely agree and hope that do live up to it but with a $6.5 B price tag, my hopes is that they exceed it design wise.

I really like this tower especially for current proposed height but if there is a chance for a supertall tower in this site I would overlook it and just hope it's something that can make me just as satisfied as the current design.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #384
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Wow, this could be a game changer.... I always wanted related to go bigger, now with Chase interested in buying both properties and developing their world headquarters there, the chance for two buildings 1,200-1,300 ft I would expect they would go for grand designs as they want both 50 and 55.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #385
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22550

It would be cool to see a walkway connecting two towers over Hudson Boulevard Park with this development.

j-biz, citybooster liked this post
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 04:38 AM   #386
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Wow, this could be a game changer.... I always wanted related to go bigger, now with Chase interested in buying both properties and developing their world headquarters there, the chance for two buildings 1,200-1,300 ft I would expect they would go for grand designs as they want both 50 and 55.
The 62 story tower will be over 300m, but I doubt that the other tower will be.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 07:57 AM   #387
citybooster

I was going by the statement that the two towers would contain as much square footage as two Empire State buildings. We'll just have to see if Chase actually does acquire the property and what the resulting updates to the tower will look like.
Old October 19th, 2014, 01:23 PM   #388
LondoniumLex
BANNED

I think, however, that both towers will have massive trading floors, which will consume a lot of SF. I think that the towers' heights will remain about the same as what Related had planned.
Old October 19th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #389
citybooster

Time will tell, but I do think it's very important if Chase gets the towers that they have first class designs.
Old October 19th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #390
LondoniumLex
BANNED

I agree.

citybooster liked this post
Old October 19th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #391
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4532

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
I think, however, that both towers will have massive trading floors, which will consume a lot of SF. I think that the towers' heights will remain about the same as what Related had planned.
I agree, what will make the height is the floor heights

I'm hoping we have some nice bulky towers, much like the current proposal we've seen for 50HY; it's a beast! Will contrast well against the slender residentials; which would also make Chases towers appear even bigger!

A sky bridge between these 2 towers would be something as well! - If anyone's seen the new Gotham show; they've added a few gothic style sky bridges between the buildings, wouldn't mind having one of them!

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #392
Vertical_Gotham

As per NYTimes, Related sold a major stake of 55 Hudson Yards. JPMC stays put in East Midtown.

Quote:
Ultimately, Chase was unable to strike a deal with Related for the two parcels, known as 50 and 55 Hudson Yards. Related set an Oct. 15 deadline during weeks of negotiations. Rather than wait, Related struck a deal to sell a major stake in 55 Hudson Yards to a Japanese company.
Obviously that this implies Related and the Japanese are partners for 55 Hudson. Could we see 55 Hudson built sooner rather than later???

JPMorgan Chase Drops Plan to Build 2 West Side Towers
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/29/ny...w-nytimes&_r=1

Quote:
The possibility that JPMorgan Chase would build a two-towered, $6.5 billion headquarters on the Far West Side of Manhattan streaked across the skyline in recent weeks, only to die quietly on Tuesday.

Jamie Dimon, chairman of Chase, called Mayor Bill de Blasio and Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo on Tuesday to say that the country’s largest bank had decided to stay put on the East Side.

The bank had created a sensation by exploring a proposal to build a 62-story skyscraper and a second 40-story tower for 16,000 employees on adjoining parcels on the north side of 33rd Street, between 10th and 11th Avenues.

But the proposed building project — one of the largest in New York City history for a single tenant — required the resolution of a number of thorny issues, including the size of a subsidy package for Chase and the purchase of the land from Related Companies.

In the course of negotiations, the bank suggested that thousands of midlevel jobs could leave the city if the deal foundered. The mayor, in turn, publicly scoffed at the idea of handing over $1 billion in tax breaks and cash to Chase, on top of an existing $600 million in property tax breaks.

“This is an outcome that validates our approach, and our belief that these deals often come down to factors that have nothing to do with taxpayer subsidies,” Alicia Glen, deputy mayor for economic development, said in a statement on Tuesday. “We’re glad that JPMorgan has decided to maintain its buildings and its work force right where they are for the foreseeable future.”

Ultimately, Chase was unable to strike a deal with Related for the two parcels, known as 50 and 55 Hudson Yards. Related set an Oct. 15 deadline during weeks of negotiations. Rather than wait, Related struck a deal to sell a major stake in 55 Hudson Yards to a Japanese company.

Related suggested that the bank build one tower and occupy half of a second skyscraper that Related is building nearby for Time Warner.

But Chase began reviewing all of its alternatives, including a move downtown. In the end, the bank decided it would remain at the two buildings it owns in Midtown, at 270 Park Avenue and 383 Madison Avenue. Chase also has thousands of employees at the Metrotech complex in Brooklyn.

One executive involved in the talks provided an alternative explanation: He said the bank’s board decided that it would be unwise to move to new towers in light of increased regulatory scrutiny in Washington since the 2008 recession.

Like many financial institutions, Chase has been increasingly cost-conscious, moving technical and administrative employees to Brooklyn, Jersey City and elsewhere.

The bank, one of the city’s largest private employers, has also obtained a total of $324 million in tax breaks from New Jersey, as well as over $100 million from New York to move to Metrotech.

In the latest round of negotiations, Chase had talked to city and state officials about a “wish list” of benefits totaling, according to one account, over $1 billion. Chase said the city would come out ahead, despite any incentives it might provide.

Critics of corporate subsidies worried that the city might be returning to an era of retention deals, which had largely disappeared under Mr. de Blasio’s predecessor, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg. The Committee for Better Banks, which includes labor unions and some liberal groups, was about to issue a report denouncing subsidies for Chase when the deal collapsed.

“New York has had an amazing run of job growth over the past decade,” said Jonathan Bowles, director of the nonprofit Center for an Urban Future. “I don’t see the need to turn back the clock and start another wave of big companies clamoring for tax breaks.”

Old October 29th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #393
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Well that was quick. As LondoniumLex suggested in the 50 HY thread, this could mean there's already a tenant secured for one (if not both) of these towers. Too bad JPMC will stay in their current buildings however -- they could have been the anchor for any of the other great towers currently planned.

If Related and this Japanese firm are partnering on 55 HY, can we safely assume they'll keep the current design? That was my biggest beef with the news JPMC was trying to buy 50 and 55, so I hope that with this latest dip of the roller coaster, at least the design remains.

MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #394
LondoniumLex
BANNED

I doubt that JPMC will stay on Park and on Mad for too long. Although regulations are currently limiting trading activities, those regs will be relaxed. Thus, JPMC will require more trading space.
Old November 6th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #395
Vertical_Gotham

Japanese firm in talks to buy big stake in Hudson Yards tower-to-be
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ds-tower-to-be

Quote:
Japanese real estate investment firm Mitsui Fudosan is in talks to take a large stake in a planned office spire in the Hudson Yards west of Penn Station, according to several sources familiar with the deal.

The company, which for years has owned the large midtown office building at 1251 Sixth Ave., is negotiating to invest in 55 Hudson Yards, a tower that developer Related Cos. is planning to build between West 33rd and West 34th streets along 11th Avenue. JPMorgan Chase, the nation's largest bank, was negotiating to purchase that site—along with an adjacent property called 50 Hudson Yards that Related is hoping to develop—for its global headquarters. Those talks fell apart.

It wasn't immediately clear how large an interest Mitsui Fudosan would take in the development, though it appears it is seeking a majority position. A person close to the talks cautioned that the deal for the firm to buy into the site could still fall through.

The prospective transaction comes after the Tokyo-based company raised $3.2 billion in a stock offering during the summer that it said it would use, in part, for investments around the globe.

An acquisition of the site would follow several other large transactions by major landlords in Hudson Yards, which increasingly is being viewed as the city's neighborhood of the future with its mix of state-of-the-art office, retail and public spaces.

citybooster, desertpunk, iamtheSTIG liked this post
Old November 6th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #396
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

About time these guys went big in NYC. Their name has been on a tower in downtown LA for many years.
Old November 6th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #397
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

the height and design are mediocre at best liked the old WPC design and height but such is the price of making something mach the related HY towers
Old November 18th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #398
Vertical_Gotham

Related could pay $180M more to expand Hudson Yards tower Developer is first to apply to buy special air rights at Far West Side nabe
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/11/....QoaQA5Hs.dpuf

Quote:
Before the Related Companies’ planned office tower at 55 Hudson Yards can rise to 1.3 million square feet, the developer will have to pay up to $180 million to purchase the building bonuses that play an integral role in the area’s development.

The development site at the corner of 34th Street and 11th Avenue allows for a building of roughly 400,000 square feet as-of-right, but through a pair of programs administered by local development corporations Related plans to build a tower nearly three times that size.

Other large players such as the Moinian Group and Tishman Speyer are also putting up office towers that are eligible to receive these special development increases, which are worth hundreds of millions of dollars. But Related is the first out of the gate, and its dealings with the development corporations responsible for dispensing the bonuses will be closely watched by the industry.

Related, which bought the site from rival developer Extell last year for $165 million, has applied to purchase a pair of building bonuses available to office towers on certain parts of the eight blocks from 33rd to 41st Streets between 10th and 11th Avenues.

The first is straightforward. Related will pay $40.1 million to buy roughly 320,000 square feet of buildable space by paying into a fund created to finance infrastructure improvements such as the 7 Train subway extension and the mid-block park that will run north to 41st Street.

The price of this additional square footage – known as a district improvement bonus – was baselined by the Department of City Planning in 2007 at $100 per foot and pegged to the consumer price index. The price rose in August to about $125 per foot.

“That’s relatively palatable,” said Moinian Group’s director of development Oskar Brecher, who is going through the same process to acquire building bonuses for his company’s 1.8-million-square-foot office tower just to the north of Related’s, dubbed 3 Hudson Boulevard.

The second kind of bonus involves a much more complicated process. It comes in the form of air rights being offered for sale by the Hudson Yards Development Corporation, which owns a 50-percent stake in the roughly 4.6 million square feet of air rights that were created above the Metropolitan Transit Authority’s eastern rail yards when the city rezoned the area in 2005.

The price of the air rights is determined by an appraisal of the receiving site. The HYDC will charge 65 percent of the appraised value per square foot. (The pricing guidelines had originally called for the lesser of either 60 percent of the appraised value of the receiving site or the cost of the district improvement bonus. But that policy was scrapped last year.) Brecher said the assessment for Moinian’s property came in a little north of $500 per foot, placing the cost of air rights at roughly $350 per foot.

Related declined to comment on its appraisal. But using Moinian’s figure as a guideline, Related would pay roughly $139 million for the 398,000 square feet of air rights it has applied to purchase. That means the developer would pay $179.4 million in total for what amounts to roughly two thirds of the bulk of the building.

There are ten other development sites in the Hudson Yards area that are eligible to receive the eastern rail yards air rights. The HYDC’s policy states it will commission a pricing study every three years – the next is scheduled for 2016 – although it can change the pricing guidelines whenever deemed necessary.

The development corporation’s president, Mark Spector, said in a statement that this initial air-rights sale “underscores the ongoing transformation of Hudson Yards and the remarkable potential this project holds for NYC.” The corporation, Spector added, looks “forward to continuing to work with interested stakeholders and the development community on advancing this project and making the Hudson Yards vision a reality.”

Brecher said there are still some questions as to how the HYDC’s assessor came at the figure of $350 per foot.

“That’s a bit difficult to swallow,” he said. “We’re now in the process of looking at the basis on which that appraisal was calculated and what factors were involved.”

“I’m sure Related’s doing the same thing,” he added.

j-biz liked this post
Old November 18th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #399
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Wait, there are more air rights in the HY district? I'm confused, are these programs new? My understanding of traditional air rights is that they have to be transferred from an existing plot or structure, and in that way it limits the total square footage/building height in an area. This seems to just be a pay-to-play situation.

Of course, being the government-loving socialist pig I am, as long as the money is going to the public coffers let 'em build!

iamtheSTIG liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #400
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22550

the Hudson Yards is a special case. Think almost like the botched midtown east rezoning only there are no towers to be replaced.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 hudson yards, hudson yards, nyc