daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 7th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #281
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5968

This shop had large models of famous sights, but in chocolate!

image hosted on flickr

P5183458 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

One thing i noticed about Germany is its very difficult to find a cah machine, they are everywhere on the high streets in the Uk, but you have to go inside buildings in Germany.

image hosted on flickr

P5183463 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5183464 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #283
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

What a stonker of a thread! Great shots all round - and yes I do love the canalside buildings in Hamburg. They are certainly very reminiscent of Redcliffe Wharf in Bristol.

Look forward to more as always!
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #284
Hadzi_Uthman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I dont understand all this praise of Hamburg and Berlin. If anything people should be crying. The cities of Hamburg and Berlin are ugly cities. And they are not ugly because of the german nation being unable to build cities in a better way but because of WWII and post-war reconstruction.

Its horrible. Thankfully for the Germans they are not alone in suffering this. Other cities suffered as well, Warsaw for example or Rotterdam, London, Coventry and some other brittish cities.
Hadzi_Uthman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 03:47 AM   #285
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadzi_Uthman View Post
Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. Blah...
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #286
cardiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post
What a stonker of a thread! Great shots all round - and yes I do love the canalside buildings in Hamburg. They are certainly very reminiscent of Redcliffe Wharf in Bristol.

Look forward to more as always!
Thanks, more will definately come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadzi_Uthman View Post
I dont understand all this praise of Hamburg and Berlin. If anything people should be crying. The cities of Hamburg and Berlin are ugly cities. And they are not ugly because of the german nation being unable to build cities in a better way but because of WWII and post-war reconstruction.

Its horrible. Thankfully for the Germans they are not alone in suffering this. Other cities suffered as well, Warsaw for example or Rotterdam, London, Coventry and some other brittish cities.
I wouldnt call those cities ugly at all, they have beautiful areas and some not so nice ones. I saw nothing that i thought was particularly ugly. Yes they were more beautiful in the past, but beauty is subjective and i'm sure development, as has been seen in many cities that were considered beautiful around the world, would have changed the face of German cities anyway, without war. I would say that whilst there was alot of destruction in the UK, it really is nowhere near as significant as in German cities (with a couple of exceptions), but despite this they are attractive, modern cities.
Old July 8th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #290
cardiff

image hosted on flickr

P5183491 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5183496 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5183498 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Back at the station, heading for Dresden. When we were on the platform waiting, a man and a woman sat next to us and he had the biggest mullet and 80's tracksuit combo i have seen since the 80's! I still think it cant have been for real, but he wore it so comfortably it must have been what he wore. Are there really people who stil dress like this, 30 years out of date?

image hosted on flickr

P5183505 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #291
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Know it's a bit late, but a friend was telling me that not only was Hamburg bombarded during WWII, but also decimated in a fire in the early 19th century (practically destroyed the entire city). Also, there was a great flood sometime in the 1900s - can't remember when. I think that's why it's really kind of an odd place in terms of architecture.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #292
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 430

Amazing shots of Berlin and off we go to some more awesome photos of a different city...IŽll be waiting for them
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #293
thun

Eventually no more Berlin. Not that the pictures would have bomce boring, but it's good to see another place from time to time.
Old July 9th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #294
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 7189

Berlin looks gorgeous in summer! i only visited it 2 times in winter. maybe i should go there another time, but then in summer
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #295
cardiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Know it's a bit late, but a friend was telling me that not only was Hamburg bombarded during WWII, but also decimated in a fire in the early 19th century (practically destroyed the entire city). Also, there was a great flood sometime in the 1900s - can't remember when. I think that's why it's really kind of an odd place in terms of architecture.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_idol View Post
Amazing shots of Berlin and off we go to some more awesome photos of a different city...IŽll be waiting for them
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
Eventually no more Berlin. Not that the pictures would have bomce boring, but it's good to see another place from time to time.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by the man from k-town View Post
Berlin looks gorgeous in summer! i only visited it 2 times in winter. maybe i should go there another time, but then in summer
Summer was a great time to be in the city
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #296
cardiff

First view of Dresden from the train station wernt too good, looked a bit sparse and had none of the historical buildings that i was expecting, though i was aware this would be the case and had to dispell my first impressions. Once in the hotel though i had a great view

image hosted on flickr

P5183516 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

My hotel

image hosted on flickr

P5183542 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5183529 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #298
cardiff

Aparently one of the last remaining jousting arenas

image hosted on flickr

P5183554 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5183555 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5183557 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #299
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5589

May I ask, what exactly were you expecting of Dresden, or what did you know?
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #300
cardiff

I was expecting what i found, a reconstructed city center of beautiful buildings, in a slightly modern style, a small section of ultra modern buildings and then post war reconstruction. What i wasnt expecting was origional streetscapes the other side of the river and such a party / festival atmosphere. It felt more like a real holiday place, yet unusually away from the seaside. There were orchestras and choirs performing in squares and jazz musicians pumping out their music, this added to the umpa bands as people boarded pleasure boats and the relaxed summer atmosphere along the river really gave the place such a pleasant feel, absolutely loved it, and loved listening to the combination of fountains, jazz and classical music outside my window, and of course the church bells.