daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #301
cardiff
Registered User
 
cardiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 9,450
Likes (Received): 5968

Lots of al fresco dining, again adding tot he holiday feel

image hosted on flickr

P5183562 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5183563 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5183564 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #302
cardiff
Registered User
 
cardiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 9,450
Likes (Received): 5968

image hosted on flickr

P5183566 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5183571 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Pleasure boat heading to the palace outside town, was cool hearing them toot their horns from my room

image hosted on flickr

P5183576 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #303
cardiff
Registered User
 
cardiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 9,450
Likes (Received): 5968

Much quieter once the day tourists had gone home

image hosted on flickr

P5183577 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5183578 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5183579 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #307
Tiaren
Registered User
 
Tiaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,710
Likes (Received): 5589

Gorgeous city and great photography!
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #308
Wunderknabe
Registered User
 
Wunderknabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Berlin
Posts: 770
Likes (Received): 194

I was in Dresden 10 years ago. Hard to believe how much it has changed.

Good work of photographing, cardiff, and yet again you always seem to be blessed with perfect conditions. Great view, this thread
Wunderknabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #309
cardiff
Registered User
 
cardiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 9,450
Likes (Received): 5968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Gorgeous city and great photography!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderknabe View Post
I was in Dresden 10 years ago. Hard to believe how much it has changed.

Good work of photographing, cardiff, and yet again you always seem to be blessed with perfect conditions. Great view, this thread
I'm sure alot of places have changed in the last 10 years, but i wonder how many for the better as in Dresden. Thanks, i always have a holiday in May as its nearly always nice weather in northern Europe (in fact its only one of 3 months in the UK we get great weather).
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #310
cardiff
Registered User
 
cardiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 9,450
Likes (Received): 5968

Waking up to the sound of the birds, fountain and steam ships was magical. To be so close the center of a city and to be so peaceful and relaxed gave Dresden a really nice atmosphere

image hosted on flickr

P5193621 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5193627 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5193628 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #311
cardiff
Registered User
 
cardiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 9,450
Likes (Received): 5968

image hosted on flickr

P5193630 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5193631 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

I liked this piece of sculpture re-creating a famous painting

image hosted on flickr

P5193635 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #312
cardiff
Registered User
 
cardiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 9,450
Likes (Received): 5968

image hosted on flickr

P5193637 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Larger Pano >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

image hosted on flickr

P5193637 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #313
cardiff
Registered User
 
cardiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 9,450
Likes (Received): 5968

The frauenkirche where i was headed before the crowds

image hosted on flickr

P5193643 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5193644 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5193648 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #314
cardiff
Registered User
 
cardiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 9,450
Likes (Received): 5968

Reminds me of a church in Leeds

image hosted on flickr

P5193650 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5193649 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Beautiful

image hosted on flickr

P5193653 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #316
cardiff
Registered User
 
cardiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 9,450
Likes (Received): 5968

This picture reminds me of a similar one i took in Istanbul

image hosted on flickr

P5193662 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Beautiful views and the weather really started to get hot! Was quite disconcerting climbing to the top of the dome as you walk litterally on top of it as the walkway spirals around, and gets narrower and the roof comes in on you.

image hosted on flickr

P5193665 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

You can see the architecture gets prgressively worse the further you look, also i think you can tell historical buildings by the fact they are blackened by the firestorms. While it was a massive event for the city, there wasnt really any memorial or museum to the devestation (not one i noticed)? In a way it probably made the place feel more friendly and relaxed, but it did fell a bit like it was brushed aside as a too painful memory to be dealt with yet.

image hosted on flickr

P5193668 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #317
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD
 
Dr.Seltsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Heidelberg (HD)
Posts: 2,492
Likes (Received): 3270

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
Was quite disconcerting climbing to the top of the dome as you walk litterally on top of it as the walkway spirals around, and gets narrower and the roof comes in on you.
Would you say this experience is worth 8 €uros?
I think this is ridiculous expensive.
Really beautiful photos by the way!!!

The buildings are not blackened because of any firestorms but because of the typical regional sandstone.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #318
Tiaren
Registered User
 
Tiaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,710
Likes (Received): 5589

Great pictures again!
By the way, the buildings aren't black because of the firestorm, but due to oxidation of the special saxon sandstone, that they are build of.
Buildings like the Hofkirche (which reminded you of a church in Leeds) and the Semper Opera had to be partly rebuild, with some completely new stonework and now, after just 30-40 years, they already turned black.
Frauenkirche already black befor the War:
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #319
600West218
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,733
Likes (Received): 1574

Dresden looks small but spectacular. Great photos!!
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #320
cardiff
Registered User
 
cardiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 9,450
Likes (Received): 5968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seltsam View Post
Would you say this experience is worth 8 €uros?
I think this is ridiculous expensive.
Really beautiful photos by the way!!!

The buildings are not blackened because of any firestorms but because of the typical regional sandstone.
Thanks, I wouldnt say it was worth 8euros simply because there are other observation points around the city for cheaper, and also like going up the Empire state building in new york, you are in the thing you most want a view of, and therefore are better off going up the palace tower or to keep the analogy going top of the rock in new york.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Great pictures again!
By the way, the buildings aren't black because of the firestorm, but due to oxidation of the special saxon sandstone, that they are build of.
Buildings like the Hofkirche (which reminded you of a church in Leeds) and the Semper Opera had to be partly rebuild, with some completely new stonework and now, after just 30-40 years, they already turned black.
Frauenkirche already black befor the War:
Thanks both for that info

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Dresden looks small but spectacular. Great photos!!
Its not a big city center but its not that small, there is plenty to see both sides of the river and i only really dipped my toe into what was on offer.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium