daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 14th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #321
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5972

View towards the palace

image hosted on flickr

P5193669 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

My hotel and the peaceful riverside park

image hosted on flickr

P5193672 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5193675 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #322
cardiff

A gate through the city walls

image hosted on flickr

P5193676 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Loved these huge buildings on the other side of the river. they didint seem to be busy and i was surprised they wernt large exclusive hotels, as i was surprised my hotel was the only one with a decent view of the skyline from across the river

image hosted on flickr

P5193677 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Love ivy covered buildings

image hosted on flickr

P5193679 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 14th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #324
cardiff

Large festival market, there was a maypole int he center of the square, seemed quite a comon thing around Germany?

image hosted on flickr

P5193691 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Coming back down, this was as close as i got to going inside as the line of tourist was so long even after only being open a few minutes

image hosted on flickr

P5193695 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #326
cardiff

There was a nice cafe on this corner, by the end of the holiday i was on 2 cakes a day! Germans are not famous for their desserts in the UK (other than black forest gateaux), but i would say they were just as nice (and large) as desserts i saw in France

image hosted on flickr

P5193700 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

I'm sure if this building hadnt been bombed it would never have gotten such a striking roof.

image hosted on flickr

P5193702 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

We spent quie a long time wandering around the palace which is made up of a museum related to sculptures and minatures, which i would normally find quite boring but hese things were so exquisite and so detailed and SO beautiful i would recomend a visit to anyone! Definately Germanys/Saxonys crown jewels

image hosted on flickr

P5193707 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #327
cardiff

There was still alot of work ongoing to restore the building, and was the only place in Dresden that openly made refference to how the building was destroyed.

image hosted on flickr

P5193709 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5193710 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Again if it was a high point it was open, and i was there

image hosted on flickr

P5193715 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #328
Jugendstil

Likes (Received): 15

If you consider that many buildings have been created only in recent years, this is a real masterpiece.

Unfortunately, the city looks from the center in some areas, "torn" and very bleak. Too bad when you consider what a incredibly beautiful city Dresden was (considered as total city).
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #329
JValjean

Likes (Received): 232

Very fine angles of Dresden's beauties!
JValjean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #330
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
Thanks! I guess there are still alot of wounds to heal, and understanding as well. Reading between the lines i can see that maybe east Germans are upset in their lives being deemed sub standard by west Germans, and some how implied that they were worse or less significant somehow, however unintentional it may be. I may be wrong on this?
I guess that many people see everything that's worse on other places than where they live, bud are blind for the oppisite. To throw som fire to the debate, AFAIK all ex. GDR "plattenbau" large apartment buildings had mixer taps, which isn't the case in everey UK hotel today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanix View Post
Or do you know any major eastern company today?
This is a trick question as:
A) Formally all GDR companies were transformed somehow so the legal company entity isn't there any more in any case.

If you instead look at factories themself, there are a bunch operating just like they did in the GDR times, of course with the updates that any factory would have had in the last 20 years. For example former VEB LWE (Lokomotivbau Elektrotechnische Werke Hans Beimler Hennigsdorf) in Hennigsdorf just outside of Berlin still produces electric rail wehicles. We have their trams in two cities in Sweden, and the produce many of the regional trains used in Sweden. They have actually taken over this production from factories in Sweden.

B) People generally mostly know about companies that make consumer products and ex. GDR companies were never given time to proove to casual consumers that they can compete.

If you look at companies that sell stuff to other companies instead of to consumers, there are a few companies around nowdays. Example: VEM.

C) Many companies all over the world has changed names and owners many times the last 20 years.

D) Many factories has also been shut down elsewhere in the western world, it's not a GDR-specific thing.

Quote:
One thing i noticed about Germany is its very difficult to find a cah machine, they are everywhere on the high streets in the Uk, but you have to go inside buildings in Germany.
This is just a guess but I think it is in part a security thing, the risk of getting mugged at the ATM is probably less if the ATM is inside a building. In part it could perhaps be because of the buildings, i.e. it could perhaps be easier to make a safe "refill cash room" behind the ATM's in a particular building if the ATM's aren't on the exterior walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanix View Post
Just compare those images.
East Trabant
West BMW 1989
If you were serious abot this you would have compared the Trabant to a VW Polo, both cheap cars where you for example see bare metal inside the passenger compartment, where you don't have any cover of the underside of the dashboard and everything is generally rather basic.

BMW is a bad comparision as they have almost looked the same for 40 yeras (ok, a bit of an exaggeration).

More serious would be to compare Wartburg 353 with medium sized Fords and Opels.

If you want an unserios comparision, take a Melkus RS-1000 against a VW Polo...

Quote:
What i wasnt expecting was origional streetscapes the other side of the river and such a party / festival atmosphere. It felt more like a real holiday place, yet unusually away from the seaside. There were orchestras and choirs performing in squares and jazz musicians pumping out their music, this added to the umpa bands as people boarded pleasure boats and the relaxed summer atmosphere along the river really gave the place such a pleasant feel, absolutely loved it, and loved listening to the combination of fountains, jazz and classical music outside my window, and of course the church bells.
I went through Germany by rail in the summer of 2011 (Weltmeisterinnen-Pass ticket, like a Interrail one country pass, 2:nd class, €399 for two persons valid a month, only available that summer) and while I didn't see orchestras, choirs, jazz misicians or similar, I generally think that the germans are good at making their public spaces in city centers useful. Not the classic gigantic public square without people or spaces overfull with cars, but cafés/restaurants, streets (almost) without motor traffic where people actually stroll around e.t.c.

(I didn't visit Dresden, Nürnberg or Fussen but I did visit Hamburg, Berlin, Munich (and a bunch of places that aren't marked on your map on the first post in this thread) so atleast we have some visits in common so to speak ).

Thanks for posting your pictures, they are lovely!
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #331
Avalanix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
If you instead look at factories themself, there are a bunch operating just like they did in the GDR times, of course with the updates that any factory would have had in the last 20 years. For example former VEB LWE (Lokomotivbau Elektrotechnische Werke Hans Beimler Hennigsdorf) in Hennigsdorf just outside of Berlin still produces electric rail wehicles. We have their trams in two cities in Sweden, and the produce many of the regional trains used in Sweden. They have actually taken over this production from factories in Sweden.

B) People generally mostly know about companies that make consumer products and ex. GDR companies were never given time to proove to casual consumers that they can compete.

If you look at companies that sell stuff to other companies instead of to consumers, there are a few companies around nowdays. Example: VEM.

C) Many companies all over the world has changed names and owners many times the last 20 years.

D) Many factories has also been shut down elsewhere in the western world,
it's not a GDR-specific thing.
The VEB Hennigsdorf you have mentioned was bought by Adtranz or today Bombardier Henningsdorf. And they massively invested in this company whixh was done through subsidies. (western money)

Form all the former VEBs (National owned company) only very few survived.

It was GDR specific thing somehow.
It would be just like if North Korea and South Korea merged together.
North Koreas economy (or whats left of it) would totally collapse, power plants, factories, homes would have to be torn down because they wouldn't fit to any safety standarts. Positions would have to be changed since they wouldn't be able to manage things. What do you do with Doctors judges teachers who barely had an medical juristical education if there wasn't enough money for the former universities?

The BMW was a middle class car in germany so yes I can compare them.
And the Trabant had a 2 cylinder moped engine which barely made it up to 100km/h. Even the Polo from the 1990s was way ahead of the Trabant which was designed in the 1960s.
Avalanix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #332
cardiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugendstil View Post
If you consider that many buildings have been created only in recent years, this is a real masterpiece.

Unfortunately, the city looks from the center in some areas, "torn" and very bleak. Too bad when you consider what a incredibly beautiful city Dresden was (considered as total city).
It is amazing what has and is happening in Dresden, i wouldnt say i came across anywhere bleak as i didint really leave the center or experiance bad weather, but from what i saw from high up, i could well imagine it being in places. At least its not like Coventry in the UK, which really should be following Dresdens example as it city center is in desperate need of change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JValjean View Post
Very fine angles of Dresden's beauties!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
I guess that many people see everything that's worse on other places than where they live, bud are blind for the oppisite. To throw som fire to the debate, AFAIK all ex. GDR "plattenbau" large apartment buildings had mixer taps, which isn't the case in everey UK hotel today

This is just a guess but I think it is in part a security thing, the risk of getting mugged at the ATM is probably less if the ATM is inside a building. In part it could perhaps be because of the buildings, i.e. it could perhaps be easier to make a safe "refill cash room" behind the ATM's in a particular building if the ATM's aren't on the exterior walls.

I went through Germany by rail in the summer of 2011 (Weltmeisterinnen-Pass ticket, like a Interrail one country pass, 2:nd class, €399 for two persons valid a month, only available that summer) and while I didn't see orchestras, choirs, jazz misicians or similar, I generally think that the germans are good at making their public spaces in city centers useful. Not the classic gigantic public square without people or spaces overfull with cars, but cafés/restaurants, streets (almost) without motor traffic where people actually stroll around e.t.c.

(I didn't visit Dresden, Nürnberg or Fussen but I did visit Hamburg, Berlin, Munich (and a bunch of places that aren't marked on your map on the first post in this thread) so atleast we have some visits in common so to speak ).

Thanks for posting your pictures, they are lovely!
Not sure most people in the UK want a mixer tap, you generally fill the sink up and then wash (quite wastefull), i think its a cultural thing more than a modernity thing As for ATM's I really havent heared of anyone getting mugged by an outside ATM (as there are so many of them), i guess this must be a cultural thing and a percieved (if not real) threat. I just found it strange, as there was very little advertisment for ATMs, ones in the UK are generally mounted into walls of banks and are filled up from behind, inside the bank. Some are stored inside buildings and you use your credit/debit card to open the entrance doors but i saw no evidance of this in Germany (?). it made getting cash a thing we had to plan rather than than a convieniance and was one of those weird cultural things

I booked all my train journeys seperately, and for 2 people it came to about £120 so was really quite cheap considering we travelled the full length of the country (though we did book really early to get the best deals).

Will be interesting to hear your remarks on places as i get to them with pictures, thanks.
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #333
cardiff

image hosted on flickr

P5193718 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

View of the Opera house, very pretty!

image hosted on flickr

P5193722 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5193725 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #334
cardiff

Looking over tot he Zwinger palace

image hosted on flickr

P5193726 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Probably the best view of Dresden from up here

image hosted on flickr

P5193727 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5193730 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 17th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #336
Xorcist

Likes (Received): 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
This is a trick question as:
A) Formally all GDR companies were transformed somehow so the legal company entity isn't there any more in any case.

D) Many factories has also been shut down elsewhere in the western world, it's not a GDR-specific thing.
Another good example is the former VEB Rotkäppchen, of course founded earlier, in 1856, but still survived WWII and communist GDR as an "Volkseigener Betrieb - aka VEB" producing champagne.
After reunification the company first collapsed, but in 1993 some former senior staff bought the company for little money and started business again very succesfull.
In 2002 "Rotkäppchen" took over a big west-german producer of champagne/sparkling wine and brandy.
Today it´s the biggest and most popular champagne-brand in Germany and a very succesfull east-german company... btw "Rotkäppchen" means "Little Red Riding Hood"

BTW: cardiff, i really love your pictures, but i´m a bit dissapoited of your berlin pictures. guess you didn´t see very much of the city - unfortunately... just the area around the "berliner dom" and a bit of "kudamm - zoo"...too bad, the city has so much more great places...anyway, keep on with that great threat!
Xorcist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #337
cardiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorcist View Post
BTW: cardiff, i really love your pictures, but i´m a bit dissapoited of your berlin pictures. guess you didn´t see very much of the city - unfortunately... just the area around the "berliner dom" and a bit of "kudamm - zoo"...too bad, the city has so much more great places...anyway, keep on with that great threat!
Quite surprised at that, i did vist around Berlin Zoo, alexander platz, spandauer Vorstadt, Potsdamer platz, Tiergarten, museum island. I went to the places that interested me and after extensive research there wasnt much else i wanted to see in Berlin, also i was only there for 4 nights and was hardly idle. There were a couple of places i could have gone like Charlottenburg palace and the old olympic park, but it was a long journey as the areas seemed to offer little except the one attraction. Also i was on holiday and really did maxamise my time in Berlin
Old July 17th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #338
cardiff

I headed over tot he Zwinger palace next

image hosted on flickr

P5193755 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

They love their elevated bridges!

image hosted on flickr

P5193757 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5193758 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 17th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #340
cardiff

There was some construction work going on, only spent a while exploring the grounds, not sure what was actually housed inside it

image hosted on flickr

P5193775 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5193785 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5193763 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr