daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #381
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5968

Catching the train

image hosted on flickr

P5204040 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5204041 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5204042 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #382
Aranou
However

Likes (Received): 1234

Cardiff, again, wonderful thread. Fantastic.
Thank you so much for sharing the trip and the pictures.
Berlin is not a wonderful city as Prague, Rome, Paris or Vienna. But it has a soul, different from everything we have seen before. It is a kind of feeling, a mixture of contemporary architecture and Germany with the Berlin of the 30's although destroyed and the 60-70's when it was divided in two blocks, as the whole world.
Strong personality for that reason that, as you pointed out in a comment, leads you into strong feelings.
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #383
Wunderknabe

Likes (Received): 194

You depicted Hamburg, Berlin and Dresden so well!

So I'm more than looking forward for Nürnberg
Wunderknabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #384
cardiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranou View Post
Cardiff, again, wonderful thread. Fantastic.
Thank you so much for sharing the trip and the pictures.
Berlin is not a wonderful city as Prague, Rome, Paris or Vienna. But it has a soul, different from everything we have seen before. It is a kind of feeling, a mixture of contemporary architecture and Germany with the Berlin of the 30's although destroyed and the 60-70's when it was divided in two blocks, as the whole world.
Strong personality for that reason that, as you pointed out in a comment, leads you into strong feelings.
Thanks makes it worth while uploading pictures, Berlin definately has parts as wonderful as Paris and London, but not as consitently or as diverse. Im sure there is understanding on both sides of that argument, unfortunately pride leeds us all into arguments and untruths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderknabe View Post
You depicted Hamburg, Berlin and Dresden so well!

So I'm more than looking forward for Nürnberg
Thanks, funny you should say you are looking forwards to Nürnberg! you will see
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #385
cardiff

So next stop was Nürnberg, the only thing i knew about the place was that it held important trials and it had the artist Durers house and some pretty waterways. On the whole Nürnberg was probably the worst place i visted on my trip (though not a horrible place), but this was because i had a very poor start to my visit! Firstly my partners suit case broke which meant i had to drag it with a broken wheel past the drunks and homless outside the very grand and busy train station, secondly we checked into one of the worst hotels i have ever seen and had to walk out to the Ibis down the road, which after the beauty of our hotel room in Dresden was such a HUGE come down! AND the weather was overcast for the first and only time.
I should probably go back to Nürnberg as it was pleasant in parts (mostly the places in my pictures), but alot of the rebuilt buildings were quite bland and cheap looking compared to surviving buildings, or fully restored ones. Additionally my review of the hotel we walked out of, and their rediculous reply seems to be trending on Tripadvisor.com. On to pictures:

Probably the prettiest stretch of buildings in the city, though alot of drunks were about. it was the first time i noticed couples of men just sitting and drinking in the streets together out of cans or bottles. In the UK this is illegal unless you are sitting in an open air bar area on the streets, and while im sure they wernt all homless it gave a very negative impression.

image hosted on flickr

P5204049 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5204051 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5204053 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #388
Avalanix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
So next stop was Nürnberg, the only thing i knew about the place was that it held important trials and it had the artist Durers house and some pretty waterways. On the whole Nürnberg was probably the worst place i visted on my trip (though not a horrible place), but this was because i had a very poor start to my visit! Firstly my partners suit case broke which meant i had to drag it with a broken wheel past the drunks and homless outside the very grand and busy train station, secondly we checked into one of the worst hotels i have ever seen and had to walk out to the Ibis down the road, which after the beauty of our hotel room in Dresden was such a HUGE come down! AND the weather was overcast for the first and only time.
I should probably go back to Nürnberg as it was pleasant in parts (mostly the places in my pictures), but alot of the rebuilt buildings were quite bland and cheap looking compared to surviving buildings, or fully restored ones. Additionally my review of the hotel we walked out of, and their rediculous reply seems to be trending on Tripadvisor.com. On to pictures:

Probably the prettiest stretch of buildings in the city, though alot of drunks were about. it was the first time i noticed couples of men just sitting and drinking in the streets together out of cans or bottles. In the UK this is illegal unless you are sitting in an open air bar area on the streets, and while im sure they wernt all homless it gave a very negative impression.

Great joke!
Drunks in Nuremberg

Dude Nuremberg is just one of the most beautiful cities in Germany. This is the medieval in Germany. And the photos from others proof it.
Dresden has one place that is filled with old buildings and that's it. The rest are former GDR buildings that are rather bad maintained when compared to Nuremberg.
It really caughts my intention that you are talking so bad about Nuremberg. I don't know someone who was dissappointed from it. (unlike to dresden)
The chance you will see someone drunk in Dresden is 10 times higher than in Nuremberg since the bavarians have a much stricter alcohol prohibition.
I don't think the police would allow something like that since Nürnberg has many visitors and tourists.

Last edited by Avalanix; July 26th, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Avalanix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #389
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4249

So whats wrong with drinking beer in the streets? Do it all the time.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #390
Bavarian Angelshark
Modernism sucks

Likes (Received): 1436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanix View Post
Dude Nuremberg is just one of the most beautiful cities in Germany.
Nürnberg WAS one of the most beautiful cities in Germany. I think cardiff described it the right way. Nürnberg offers a few nice streets, a nice castle and some impressive churches + great city walls, but there's too much post war crap in the city center. 90% of the post war buildings are absolutely horrible (just look at the Hauptmarkt - ugly facades, ugly windows). Imo Nürnberg should look at Frankfurt/Hildesheim and reconstruct some half timbered houses. If you want too see the medieval Germany you should visit Regensburg, Erfurt, Quedlinburg, Bamberg, Rothenburg...

Look at some pre war pictures of Nürnberg - almost everything is gone!

Last edited by Bavarian Angelshark; July 26th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Bavarian Angelshark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #391
Odoaker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 787

In memorandum

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tmauer_002.jpg

Odoaker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #392
vitaniya

Likes (Received): 3

Beautiful!impressive!
vitaniya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #393
StoneRose
resident hochdeutsch

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post

Huh??
When I was in Birmingham I saw lots of what I'd call antisocial white trash with pitbulls sitting in the city center drinking and I didn't see any police about.
I even had to laugh because I told my friend "Hmm, looks just like "Schwarzer Bär" which is a shitty are here in Hannover).
StoneRose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #394
cardiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanix View Post

Great joke!
Drunks in Nuremberg

Dude Nuremberg is just one of the most beautiful cities in Germany. This is the medieval in Germany. And the photos from others proof it.
Dresden has one place that is filled with old buildings and that's it. The rest are former GDR buildings that are rather bad maintained when compared to Nuremberg.
It really caughts my intention that you are talking so bad about Nuremberg. I don't know someone who was dissappointed from it. (unlike to dresden)
The chance you will see someone drunk in Dresden is 10 times higher than in Nuremberg since the bavarians have a much stricter alcohol prohibition.
I don't think the police would allow something like that since Nürnberg has many visitors and tourists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Angelshark View Post
Nürnberg WAS one of the most beautiful cities in Germany. I think cardiff described it the right way. Nürnberg offers a few nice streets, a nice castle and some impressive churches + great city walls, but there's too much post war crap in the city center. 90% of the post war buildings are absolutely horrible (just look at the Hauptmarkt - ugly facades, ugly windows). Imo Nürnberg should look at Frankfurt/Hildesheim and reconstruct some half timbered houses. If you want too see the medieval Germany you should visit Regensburg, Erfurt, Quedlinburg, Bamberg, Rothenburg...

Look at some pre war pictures of Nürnberg - almost everything is gone!
I could see that there were many pretty areas of Nürnberg, but there really was some truely poor infill of buildings obviously destroyed in the war or by post war planners. I wouldnt call Nürnberg an ugly city at all, just the mix of such a bad start to my arrival in the city combined with poor weather gave such a negative impression of the place. I cant state highly enough that it was this first impression that gave me such a bad mood towards the place, and it was mostly my own feelings after coming from blue skys and a fantastic hotel in Dresden to an Ibis in Nürnberg, maybe this will show you the comparison:

My room in Dresden

image hosted on flickr

P5193623 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

The hotel we walked out of in Nurnberg

image hosted on flickr

P5204043 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

The ibis we stayed at

image hosted on flickr

P5204090 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
So whats wrong with drinking beer in the streets? Do it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRose View Post
Huh??
When I was in Birmingham I saw lots of what I'd call antisocial white trash with pitbulls sitting in the city center drinking and I didn't see any police about.
I even had to laugh because I told my friend "Hmm, looks just like "Schwarzer Bär" which is a shitty are here in Hannover).
I'm not sayign it doesnt happen in the UK, but ive never seen decently dressed men around 20 years old, sitting on the main shopping street drinking out of cans of beer. In the Uk you would generally see them sitting outside a bar or restuarant drinking, the people i saw in Nurnberg and Munich were just sat on benches and walls drinking. Added to the homeless people and alcoholics outside the station gave a bad impression of the social makeup of Nurnberg and was the only time i felt uncomfortable in Germany (i almost felt unsafe). I'm sure its not like all the time as the next day was much better, and if you stay around stations then you are going to generally not be in the nicest area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaniya View Post
Beautiful!impressive!
Thanks!

Last edited by cardiff; July 26th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #395
cardiff

City walls, were very impressive in scale, seemed to stop the city dead though didint explore beyond them

image hosted on flickr

P5204064 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5204066 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5204067 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #397
cardiff

image hosted on flickr

P5204071 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Probably the best thing about Nurnberg is the waterways

image hosted on flickr

P5204072 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5204074 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #398
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

I don't think people should really be critiqueing what Cardiff says were his impression. This is a trip report and he saw what he saw and felt what he felt. That is what trip reports are about.

I don't think he is trying to make blanket statements about places - what he saw could be spot on or it could have been an aberation. And if you think it was an aberation then you can just let us know that, but not imply that somehow he is making stuff up.

Anyways, Cardiff, thanks for this excellent trip report. You are really changing my image of Germany. I always though of it as a very interesting place, but not necessarily a beautiful one. But through your pictures I am now realizing it most definitely is beautiful. Without a doubt your trip report will be consulted by me before I plan my trip to Germany.

Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to the rest.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #399
StoneRose
resident hochdeutsch

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
I don't think people should really be critiqueing what Cardiff says were his impression. This is a trip report and he saw what he saw and felt what he felt. That is what trip reports are about.

I don't think he is trying to make blanket statements about places - what he saw could be spot on or it could have been an aberation. And if you think it was an aberation then you can just let us know that, but not imply that somehow he is making stuff up.
Totally agree!
StoneRose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #400
Avalanix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 179

Thank you for your beautiful pictures cardiff!

Last edited by Avalanix; July 26th, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
Avalanix no está en línea   Reply With Quote