daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #401
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3269

+1

Once again...fantastic photos! I'm really enjoying this thread!
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #402
thun

@ drinking beer on the streets:
That's more or less totally accepted in Germany. Although you probably only would see alcoholics doing so in the main shopping street at day. "Normal" people (students, etc.) would prefer parks, river banks, squares in the evening to do so. At least in my town.
In Franconia it's a regional thing for the breweries to sell beer in mugs to customers in the hall so that you can drink it standing on the street. You can see that a lot e. g. in Bamberg - don't know about Nuremberg though, I'm not even sure if there's a brewery in the centre.

I think you got a wrong impression of Nuremberg, to be honest. Admittedly, it was heavily destroyed in the bombings and not as perfectly reconstructed as Dresden but remains one of the most fascinating German cities because it was one of the most important ones for centuries. It used to be the largest and most important German city in the late middle ages/early rennaissance and was one of the first industrialized German cities due to its heritage as a free city of traders. And a lot of that history can still be discovered. You don't do justice to the city if you only associate it with the Nazi party rallyes.
Old July 27th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #403
Malyan

Likes (Received): 347

image hosted on flickr

What´s the problem with this room? It´s definitely MUCH more comfortable and clean than any hotel room I have been in during the last two or three years ;-)
Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #404
Avalanix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 179

Dresden is not perfectly reconstructed as you can see in the pictures on page 19. Dresden suffered a lot from the GDR ancestry so in the inner city as in the outer parts. Take Prager Straßer Neustadt.. to be continued. There is really just one place which contains nicely restructed Buildings.
Avalanix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #405
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyan View Post
What´s the problem with this room? It´s definitely MUCH more comfortable and clean than any hotel room I have been in during the last two or three years ;-)
LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking!
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #406
HD9
BANNED

Likes (Received): 29

fantastic photos!
HD9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #407
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5966

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
I don't think people should really be critiqueing what Cardiff says were his impression. This is a trip report and he saw what he saw and felt what he felt. That is what trip reports are about.

I don't think he is trying to make blanket statements about places - what he saw could be spot on or it could have been an aberation. And if you think it was an aberation then you can just let us know that, but not imply that somehow he is making stuff up.

Anyways, Cardiff, thanks for this excellent trip report. You are really changing my image of Germany. I always though of it as a very interesting place, but not necessarily a beautiful one. But through your pictures I am now realizing it most definitely is beautiful. Without a doubt your trip report will be consulted by me before I plan my trip to Germany.

Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRose View Post
Totally agree!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
@ drinking beer on the streets:
That's more or less totally accepted in Germany. Although you probably only would see alcoholics doing so in the main shopping street at day. "Normal" people (students, etc.) would prefer parks, river banks, squares in the evening to do so. At least in my town.
In Franconia it's a regional thing for the breweries to sell beer in mugs to customers in the hall so that you can drink it standing on the street. You can see that a lot e. g. in Bamberg - don't know about Nuremberg though, I'm not even sure if there's a brewery in the centre.

I think you got a wrong impression of Nuremberg, to be honest. Admittedly, it was heavily destroyed in the bombings and not as perfectly reconstructed as Dresden but remains one of the most fascinating German cities because it was one of the most important ones for centuries. It used to be the largest and most important German city in the late middle ages/early rennaissance and was one of the first industrialized German cities due to its heritage as a free city of traders. And a lot of that history can still be discovered. You don't do justice to the city if you only associate it with the Nazi party rallyes.
Thanks, like i said it was a poor first impression, made worse by the poor hotel and service we recieved. I'm sure Nurnberg is a very lively and pretty place but unfortunately i didint see it in its best light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanix View Post
Thank you for your beautiful pictures cardiff!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seltsam View Post
+1

Once again...fantastic photos! I'm really enjoying this thread!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyan View Post

Quote:
LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking!
You may just notice the damp matted carpet by the bathroom area, there were dirty damaged walls and there was zero character. This was supposed to be a local characterful hotel, and as they were charging 140 euros for a crappy room, we decided we could get better for cheaper, also the service was appauling and it was obvious we were being ripped off (their website has pictures of executive rooms attached to profiles of standard rooms which the receptionist admited was false advertising)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanix View Post
Dresden is not perfectly reconstructed as you can see in the pictures on page 19. Dresden suffered a lot from the GDR ancestry so in the inner city as in the outer parts. Take Prager Straßer Neustadt.. to be continued. There is really just one place which contains nicely restructed Buildings.
Never said it was, but my impression of it was a lot better, the inner city parks along the river, the grander and larger buildings and the hoards of tourists made it a place i cant wait to go back to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD9 View Post
fantastic photos!
Thanks
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #408
cardiff

It was around here that i actually started to quite like Nurnberg, maybe if i had stayed closer to here i would have liked the place more

image hosted on flickr

P5204075 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5204080 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5204081 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 28th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #409
cardiff

image hosted on flickr

P5204083 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

I took this as an example of the poor reconstruction/ post war development, despite that these buildings are always well maintained in Germany from what i saw. in the Uk they are normally in quite a poor condition or have been replaced

image hosted on flickr

P5204085 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5204086 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old July 28th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #411
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Beautiful!!!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #412
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
...as they were charging 140 euros for a crappy room, we decided we could get better for cheaper, also the service was appauling and it was obvious we were being ripped off (their website has pictures of executive rooms attached to profiles of standard rooms which the receptionist admited was false advertising)!
Ok...140 €uros for that room is really a joke and false internet advertising is criminal and should be sentenced! Asshöles!!!
Old July 28th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #413
yubnub

Likes (Received): 448

Great pics!! (well the ones that would load, sadly my crappy mobile dongle connection means I cant see all of your pics). Nuremburg looks like a great place, hopefully I can visit some day!

Your hotel room looks distinctly 2 star. 140 euro's is clearly a rip off for that, no wonder you were angry. For that much money I would expect a much better room. The one in your pics looks more like a £40 travelodge hotel room. Hopefully the rooms on the rest of your trip will be better
yubnub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #414
cardiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadoh25 View Post
Beautiful!!!
Thanks

Quote:
Ok...140 €uros for that room is really a joke and false internet advertising is criminal and should be sentenced! Asshöles!!!
Really was a rip off, unfortunately ive come across this all over the world. Was such a disapointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubnub View Post
Great pics!! (well the ones that would load, sadly my crappy mobile dongle connection means I cant see all of your pics). Nuremburg looks like a great place, hopefully I can visit some day!

Your hotel room looks distinctly 2 star. 140 euro's is clearly a rip off for that, no wonder you were angry. For that much money I would expect a much better room. The one in your pics looks more like a £40 travelodge hotel room. Hopefully the rooms on the rest of your trip will be better
Luckily apart from this hotel i really had great accomodation, the hotel in Munich was a bit ropey (again staying close to the train station) but i complained and got a free upgrade to a decent room. Best accmodation was in Dresden and Schwangau (neuschwanstein castle). Nurnburg is worth visiting, but not sure as a stand alone destination like Berlin, Hamburg or Munich could be.
Old July 29th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #417
Odoaker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 787

Nice pics! Nürnberg has so much potential. Imagine an widely reconstructed old-town like in Dresden... btw I want to see some castle impressions
Odoaker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:13 PM   #418
cardiff

Unfortunately we didint make it into Nurnberg castle, but thae area around it was most definately the prettiest part of the city.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:20 PM   #419
cardiff

Next we caught the train to Fussen where Neuschwanstein castle was. After the bad experiance in Nurnberg with hotels, we were quite worried about travelling to such a remote area as looking online there wasnt much choice of changing if we wernt happy with the hotel. As usual though the German railways were very efficient and easy to understand for non German speakers. We changed trains at Augsberg on to a more rural train, and to see what i think is the real Germany. We also got to see our first men in lederhosen!

Pretty rural countryside and our first view of teh Bavarian Alps

image hosted on flickr

P5214112 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

As the train got further away from large cities it soon started just stopping on the outskirts of villages, where there were no station platforms and letting school children off. Was quite interesting as i dont think ive ever seen a train stop in the UK where there is no platform or disabled access.

image hosted on flickr

P5214117 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5214121 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:23 PM   #420
cardiff

We needent have worried, Fussen was quite a large town which unfortunately we didint get a chance to explore. It was only a short taxi ride to one fo the nicest hotels ive stayed at. You know its a good place when they offer you a drink before they check you in!

The view from our room

image hosted on flickr

P5214124 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Neuschwanstein castle, unfortunately covered in scaffolding on this side, but he prettiest side was uncovered and offered the best views (pics later)

image hosted on flickr

P5214156 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

The view from my dinner table

image hosted on flickr

P5214169 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr