daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:23 PM   #421
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5967

image hosted on flickr

P5214183 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5214189 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5214190 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:29 PM   #422
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Great pictures Cardiff. The one with the train in the grassy field with the mountains in the distance is a classic!!

Do you know if they have hiking trails to climb to the top of any of those mountains.

This thread is more and more convincing me of the beauty of Germany.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:33 PM   #423
mlm
Member #109

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Do you know if they have hiking trails to climb to the top of any of those mountains.
I'm pretty sure they do. I took this photo from the mountain just behind Neuschwanstein a few years ago. Didn't walk futher into to mountains myself, but lots of other people were up there walking.

Last edited by mlm; August 2nd, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
mlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:41 PM   #424
Malyan

Likes (Received): 347

Quote:
We changed trains at Augsberg on to a more rural train, and to see what i think is the real Germany.
Not really. 88% of the German population is living in urban areas. Germany is one of the countries with the highest population density in the world, real rural life is hardly existing in contemporary Germany. With a total population of 82 million, Germany has 80 cities with more than 100,000 inhabitants within city boundaries. And outside tourist shows, no one in Germany is wearing Lederhosen, especially outside Bavaria which is in many aspects much different from all other parts of Germany and perhaps its least representative part ;-)
Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM   #425
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyan View Post
Not really. 88% of the German population is living in urban areas. Germany is one of the countries with the highest population density in the world, real rural life is hardly existing in contemporary Germany. With a total population of 82 million, Germany has 80 cities with more than 100,000 inhabitants within city boundaries. And outside tourist shows, no one in Germany is wearing Lederhosen, especially outside Bavaria which is in many aspects much different from all other parts of Germany and perhaps its least representative part ;-)
I think he meant "real" as in authentic or traditional? Maybe this is just a construct in English.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:03 PM   #426
Letniczka

Quote:
Not really. 88% of the German population is living in urban areas ...
The funniest comment I ever saw on SSC

Should cardiff have take some photos of the Himalayas, you probably would disagree too, since no people live on Nepal's/China's peaks there.
There is no Antarctica, as well the real image of Amazonas should also be non existent in your mind. Awfull urbanization, no skyscapers, no soccer and other our today's shit.

Man, Germany will still be there, even after all of us between Hamburg and Füssen should disappear one day

Still great pics cardiff. Thanks!
Letniczka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #427
CrayZD

Likes (Received): 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I think he meant "real" as in authentic or traditional? Maybe this is just a construct in English.
But even if it was meant that way, it is a typical tourist's point of view. No one in Germany would say that the Alps or some picturesque small towns in Bavaria are 'authentically German'. It's what visitors expect Germany to look like. And after having travelled Germany from North to South, cardiff should know better (of course, this doesn't make his photos less impressive... thank you, cardiff!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letniczka View Post
Should cardiff have take some photos of the Himalayas, you probably would disagree too, since no people live on Nepal's/China's peaks there.
There is no Antarctica, as well the real image of Amazonas should also be non existent in your mind. Awfull urbanization, no skyscapers, no soccer and other our today's shit.

Man, Germany will still be there, even after all of us between Hamburg and Füssen should disappear one day
I know what you mean. But even if you leave out the aspects of civilization completely, you won't find any kind of 'real Germany' in Bavaria. This makes as much sense as claiming the Rocky Mountains to be 'the real US' or the Scottish Highlands to be 'the real Great Britain'. Why should seashores and islands, or marvellous river valleys be 'less German' than the Bavarian Alps? Just because of a common stereotype that is preserved well outside Germany?
CrayZD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #428
cardiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Great pictures Cardiff. The one with the train in the grassy field with the mountains in the distance is a classic!!

This thread is more and more convincing me of the beauty of Germany.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlm View Post
I'm pretty sure they do. I took this photo from the mountain just behind Neuschwanstein a few years ago. Didn't walk futher into to mountains myself, but lots of other people were up there walking.
Yes there are definately walking trails, a precarious cable car took you up there!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letniczka View Post
The funniest comment I ever saw on SSC

Still great pics cardiff. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayZD View Post
But even if it was meant that way, it is a typical tourist's point of view. No one in Germany would say that the Alps or some picturesque small towns in Bavaria are 'authentically German'. It's what visitors expect Germany to look like. And after having travelled Germany from North to South, cardiff should know better (of course, this doesn't make his photos less impressive... thank you, cardiff!).
I meant authentic as in away from cities which are often international, and in a country that has had an unprecidented external influence for the last 60 years it was good to see something more origional and identifiably German. Up until my journey to Fussen i could have been in any country in Europe, often going days without hearing any German or even having to think i was in Germany (probably why nunberg was a bit of a shock as it was more German orientated, if that makes sense). Also I find the countryside of any country really holds its true nature, as its had less interaction with the rest of the world generally (though less so these days). Having travelled north to south i can definately say Germany is similar to the UK in that each region has a distinct identity and is in no way has one homoginised union. Having travelled to Frankfurt and Heidelburg a few years ago i got a similar impression of when you leave the large cities, things become more German.
Old August 4th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #430
cardiff

image hosted on flickr

P5224205 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

We borrowed the hotel bikes (which were like riding clouds) and rode to the castles

image hosted on flickr

P5224213 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5224216 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old August 4th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #432
Xorcist

Likes (Received): 408

oh damn, unfortunatelly neuschwanstein castle was hidden under that scaffolding...usually the view to the castle is just great but right now it´s under massive renovation (oh and don´t forget, it was never finished!). i hope it wasn´t another disappointment (like nuremberg was).
BTW. i was born in the very south-western part of germany, near lake constance, swiss and french border were just around the corner AND the first time i visited north germany (the island of pellworm) it was like a cultural shock, the north germans, the frisians even didn´t understand my south german accent...the villages, the language, the food, everything was completely different...so, yes, germany is not just bavaria...btw...i saw some easy-jet advertising in london (a few years ago) just saying the same (yes they showed a fat man in leathertrousers with a beer in his hands)...anyway....the country is different, from north to south, from west to east...and i like that...keep on with that great pictures mister

oh and...as an south-west-german (swabian) i live in berlin for nearly 10 years now, and i love it...and hell, that city is so absolutely NOT german
Xorcist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #433
Avalanix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 179

Is this the last station of the journey ?
Avalanix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #434
Xorcist

Likes (Received): 408

nope...i guess munich will be the last station...nice city but next time you should visit lake constance and black forest
Xorcist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #435
thun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlm View Post
I'm pretty sure they do. I took this photo from the mountain just behind Neuschwanstein a few years ago.
You can climb all of those mountains on trails, but for some you'll need proper equipment, training and some mountaineering experience (e.g. for the Säuling, the big mountain right behind Neuschwanstein). So most of the tourists better stay in the valley or take the cablecar up Tegelberg. If you're untrained and unexperienced, the walk from Tegelberg down to Neuschwanstein or from Neuschwanstein to Bleckenau are good choices.

Füssen is a nice town, small and charming. The castle, the area around the river Lech and the lakes (there are 5 or 6 lakes within the citys borders) are very beautiful. Of course you were there quite early in the year, so going swimming wasn't an inviting option yet.

Last edited by thun; August 5th, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
thun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #436
cardiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorcist View Post
oh damn, unfortunatelly neuschwanstein castle was hidden under that scaffolding...usually the view to the castle is just great but right now it´s under massive renovation (oh and don´t forget, it was never finished!). i hope it wasn´t another disappointment (like nuremberg was).
BTW. i was born in the very south-western part of germany, near lake constance, swiss and french border were just around the corner AND the first time i visited north germany (the island of pellworm) it was like a cultural shock, the north germans, the frisians even didn´t understand my south german accent...the villages, the language, the food, everything was completely different...so, yes, germany is not just bavaria...btw...i saw some easy-jet advertising in london (a few years ago) just saying the same (yes they showed a fat man in leathertrousers with a beer in his hands)...anyway....the country is different, from north to south, from west to east...and i like that...keep on with that great pictures mister

oh and...as an south-west-german (swabian) i live in berlin for nearly 10 years now, and i love it...and hell, that city is so absolutely NOT german
Luckily only a small section of the castle was under scafolding. Thanks for the interesting info! I found the same when i first moved to England from Wales, i almost felt exotic lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanix View Post
Is this the last station of the journey ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorcist View Post
nope...i guess munich will be the last station...nice city but next time you should visit lake constance and black forest
Yep munich is the last stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
You can climb all of those mountains on trails, but for some you'll need proper equipment, training and some mountaineering experience (e.g. for the Säuling, the big mountain right behind Neuschwanstein). So most of the tourists better stay in the valley or take the cablecar up Tegelberg. If you're untrained and unexperienced, the walk from Tegelberg down to Neuschwanstein or from Neuschwanstein to Bleckenau are good choices.

Füssen is a nice town, small and charming. The castle, the area around the river Lech and the lakes (there are 5 or 6 lakes within the citys borders) are very beautiful. Of course you were there quite early in the year, so going swimming wasn't an inviting option yet.
yes the water was definately too cold!