daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #461
yubnub

Likes (Received): 448

fantastic pictures of the castle but I liked your pictures of the lakes and mountains more I visited some years ago when it was totally covered in scaffolding so I climbed the mountain trails on the other side of the bridge which was awesome. If you walk high enough you eventually get a nice view looking down on the castle and it does look best from a distance.
yubnub no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #462
elnorte˝o

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offspring View Post
The castle surrounded by mountains, forests and lakes... Like in fairy tale!
..falta el principe azul y la princesa encantada que lindo!
elnorte˝o no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 02:35 AM   #463
Letniczka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JValjean View Post
I totally understand the point of "AnOldBlackMarble" and I think that especially the Italians are doing a way better job by authentic restaurations than the Germans use to do!
Your statement is the most ridiculous on this by far.
What they do is even an AUTHENTIC RESTAURATION.
What should they do? Make it 500 years older, for Japanese tourists, or what ?

I don't think we like this object very much, since we have round 13 thousands other castles, palaces & ruins.
Letniczka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #464
Nababesco
LULA NA CADEIA!!!

Likes (Received): 49

Germany is the most beautiful country in the world. It is incomparable.

Ich liebe Deutschland!!!

Last edited by Nababesco; August 12th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Nababesco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #465
thun

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
The point is Neuschwanstein is not some kind of medieval castle ruin that should be left alone. Its a modern dream palace of a maniac aristocrat. When it was built there was already electric light and railroads. Its a modern building of the industrial age.

And yes, when it was built it was completely out of its time. Some kind of 19th century kitsch Disney style castle.
Exactly. This building in its days was the most modern building in the whole kingdom, although it doesn't look like that. It used state-of-the-art techniques (e.g. a cast iron structure for the throne hall) and had the most advanced technology (the first phone line in Bavaria, an electric system to call servants, automatic toilets, an automatic oven, central heating, etc.).
The whole thing basicaly is a coulisse, not a castle. So an authentic renovation has to look a bit like Disney castle.
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #466
Nababesco
LULA NA CADEIA!!!

Likes (Received): 49

Berlin under the Nazi regime

Nababesco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #467
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
Wow, I've been on that bridge when there were so many people, you could not make your way to the other side.
Cool! It was scary enough with a couple of people on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedemann View Post
Totally awesome, this thread! If you're planning to visit Germany once again, don't miss the Mosel Valley or the Black Forest
Thanks, sure will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
Hmmm, don't like it. It's too clean. It looks plastic. Where's the weathering, the age, the old world rusticness? I think the Germans are going a little overboard with the renovating. A little age, a few rough edges, weather spots, give a castle its character, otherwise it is just another plastic Disney attraction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBYcity View Post
As a matter of fact the castle itself is not so old as you imagine, it was built in the 15-16 century CMIIW. A little bit of renovation makes it look wholo new
And disney's sleeping beauty castle is modelled after this castle too

@ Cardiff : I really enjoy your thread, great photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JValjean View Post
I totally understand the point of "AnOldBlackMarble" and I think that especially the Italians are doing a way better job by authentic restaurations than the Germans use to do!

Anyway Neuschwanstein will always be a bit of a Disneyland castle...
Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
The point is Neuschwanstein is not some kind of medieval castle ruin that should be left alone. Its a modern dream palace of a maniac aristocrat. When it was built there was already electric light and railroads. Its a modern building of the industrial age.

And yes, when it was built it was completely out of its time. Some kind of 19th century kitsch Disney style castle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
Exactly. This building in its days was the most modern building in the whole kingdom, although it doesn't look like that. It used state-of-the-art techniques (e.g. a cast iron structure for the throne hall) and had the most advanced technology (the first phone line in Bavaria, an electric system to call servants, automatic toilets, an automatic oven, central heating, etc.).
The whole thing basicaly is a coulisse, not a castle. So an authentic renovation has to look a bit like Disney castle.
Think youve all answered yourselves. IMO its not Disney but a product of its time, there are many fantasy castle around northern europe, especially in the UK that have either been extended in to fabulous homes or completely transformed during the industrial revolution, especially as Neo Gothic was such a popular style during that period. As for renovation being better in different countries it is totaly subjective as from what ive seen in Italy its about the externality only, scratch a little deeper and you have modern materials and modern building techniques, in the UK it more about everything being authentic, even materials etc, but then there is more modern designs attached to old structures as long as they are distinctly different. Not sure what the stance is in Germany? Not saying one is better than the other, but each has its own positives and negatives, as is each individual renovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offspring View Post
The castle surrounded by mountains, forests and lakes... Like in fairy tale!
It really is, and probably where the ideal fairy tales comes from

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubnub View Post
fantastic pictures of the castle but I liked your pictures of the lakes and mountains more I visited some years ago when it was totally covered in scaffolding so I climbed the mountain trails on the other side of the bridge which was awesome. If you walk high enough you eventually get a nice view looking down on the castle and it does look best from a distance.
Thanks, the countryside is what takes your breath away more, really beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nababesco View Post
Germany is the most beautiful country in the world. It is incomparable.

Ich liebe Deutschland!!!
Definately beautiful, but one of hundreds of beautiful countries in the world!
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #468
cardiff

Next we arrived in Munich, it was very obvious that this was a large city with a distinct attitude from the start. We stayed near the train station, next to a lap dancing club! I think from now on i will not stay anywhere near train stations again, as although the hotel wasnt awful, it wasnt that great with a receptionist desperately trying to get us to upgrade (which we did but later complained about many things and got the upgrade free). First impressions of Munich were that it was gritty and very busy, eventually after exploring more i saw the other side which was very beautiful in places and quite relaxed. What struck me most about Munich was how American it was, almost every other accent was American, the feel was very north american, and even the fashion had that very pretentious new york 5th avenue feel. It was definately very different to the rest of Germany i had seen, and felt far more confident and assertive. The weather wasnt too great on the first day, but soon became scorching!

One thing i noticed alot in Munich was how alot of the buildings didnt seem to feel either old or modern, but somewhere in between.

image hosted on flickr

P5224372 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5224374 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5224375 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #470
cardiff

image hosted on flickr

P5224380 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5234383 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

While walking back to my hotel there was a homless man in his boxers and a t shirt in this fountain doing stretches, lets just say the combination of water and white thin clothing left nothing to the imagination, much to everyones hilarity and disust! I'm sure he must have known what he was doing!

image hosted on flickr

P5234386 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #471
cardiff

edit
Old August 19th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #472
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

splendid photos from Germany...
Old August 19th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #473
cardiff

Thanks!

image hosted on flickr

P5234390 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Main shopping street seemed to have a couiple of carbuncles, luckily there seemed to be some new construction replacing them. interestingly these new construction sites showed the history of what was on the site, something i found fascinating and brought other people to see what was happening. Also i remember when C&A used to be in the UK!

image hosted on flickr

P5234391 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

TALL

image hosted on flickr

P5234393 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old August 19th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #474
cardiff

This white building especially seemed quite kitsch in its reconstruction, looked too perfect to be historic

image hosted on flickr

P5234394 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

City hall

image hosted on flickr

P5234395 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

At this point after climbing so many steps to high observation points, we said that this would be the last!

image hosted on flickr

P5234397 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old August 19th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #476
Wunderknabe

Likes (Received): 194

Great view, I guess it was worth the stairs?
Wunderknabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #477
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Great photos!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #478
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8788

I'm surprised to hear that you think that Munich is North American in style. I really disagree on this point, though I agree that it is very, very different to the rest of Germany.

Excellent photos all the same. I've enjoyed this whole journey.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #479
hmueller2

Likes (Received): 177

In Germany we say "MŘnchen: das gr÷▀te Dorf der Welt" (Munich: the largest village in the world)
hmueller2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #480
Bavarian Angelshark
Modernism sucks

Likes (Received): 1436

says someone from Frankfurt
Bavarian Angelshark no está en línea   Reply With Quote