daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2012, 06:33 PM   #501
Letniczka

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
i guess German ideals of reconstruction must focus towards making them looking like they are brand new rather than aged?
Unfortunately, Germans are not rich enough to do "aged" renovations every 5 years, like people in other countries usually do. Let us wait how the castle will look like in the year 2076, before the next reconstruction

Good eye again Stephen!!!
Letniczka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2012, 07:50 PM   #502
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5617

Quote:
Here are the crown jewels of Bavaria (everytime i see another countries crown jewels it always makes me laugh how small they are in comparisson to the UKs or how unrefined they seem...
Sorry, but here you sound a little conceited...

You should've paid the Grünes Gewölbe/Green Vault in Dresden a visit.
It's the largest treasure collection in all of Europe, one of the most valuable and probably the most impressive (just alone because of the architecture and presentation). Puts pretty much your crown jewels to shame (which I visited in the Tower of London).

Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%BCnes_Gew%C3%B6lbe

Last edited by Tiaren; September 1st, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 08:52 PM   #503
XXX.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

NICE PICS.
XXX. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 09:48 PM   #504
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Sorry, but here you sound a little conceited...

You should've paid the Grünes Gewölbe/Green Vault in Dresden a visit.
It's the largest treasure collection in all of Europe, one of the most valuable and probably the most impressive (just alone because of the architecture and presentation). Puts pretty much your crown jewels to shame (which I visited in the Tower of London).

Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%BCnes_Gew%C3%B6lbe

Yes i guess i did sound conceited, but when the worlds largest diamonds and jewels are attached to numerous crowns etc its hard not to be, also similar collections are in the possesion of the crown are are unfortunately only shown on rare occasions and not in full. I was lucky enough to see the exhibits in Dresden and they were absoulutely fantastic and are spectacular! They are however not crown jewels and are part of a collection made up of donations, comissioned pieces, bought items and presents donated to the Saxonian (have i got the right region?) King. Incidentally there were similar items in the Palace in Munich though the collection was alot smaller though no less impressive. I really recomend anyone visit the collection in Dresden even if you have no interest in these kind of things! Are there German crown jewels or are there just regional ones?
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 09:50 PM   #505
cardiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letniczka View Post
Unfortunately, Germans are not rich enough to do "aged" renovations every 5 years, like people in other countries usually do. Let us wait how the castle will look like in the year 2076, before the next reconstruction

Good eye again Stephen!!!
As i said earlier each style of renovation has its own merits and draw backs, i'm not saying one is better than the other
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:09 PM   #506
JValjean

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Are there German crown jewels or are there just "regional" ones?
What a question! Take a look here: Imperial Regalia

Quote:
"The Imperial Regalia, insignia, or crown jewels (in German Reichskleinodien, Reichsinsignien, or Reichsschatz) are the regalia of the Emperors and Kings of the Holy Roman Empire. The most important parts are the Imperial Crown, the Holy Lance and the Imperial Sword. Today they are kept at the Schatzkammer Treasury in the Hofburg palace in Vienna, Austria.

The Imperial Regalia are the only completely preserved regalia from the Middle Ages ...

The regalia is composed of two different parts. The greater group are the so-called Nürnberger Kleinodien (roughly translated Nuremberg jewels), named after the town of Nuremberg where the regalia were kept from 1424 to 1796"
JValjean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:09 AM   #507
cardiff

Thanks, i saw those when i was in Vienna!
Old September 2nd, 2012, 06:26 AM   #508
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4264

Quote:
Thanks for the info, i guess German ideals of reconstruction must focus towards making them looking like they are brand new rather than aged?
That's true. But I don't understand why one should make a renovation/ reconstruction look aged? Point is to preserve the building for the next few hundred years. The ageing comes automatically after 50 years or so. Adding artificial patina to make it look older would be very, well, fake IMO.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:43 PM   #509
cardiff

I'm not saying its a bad thing or a good thing, i can see where you are coming from and understand about preserving buildings for the future, but i cant help but think that maybe some of its past is lost in this preservation style, and the history of the building is notably lost in its apearance. Also from seeing some reconstructions/renoavations from across the world there is a tendancy to dumb down a design (removal of statues, rendering over details etc.). Also modern paint finnishes or materials sometimes can give a plastic look. I'm not specifically talking about Germany here, but playing a bit of Devils advocate
Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:45 PM   #511
cardiff

image hosted on flickr

P5234448 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

I think it was about this point in my trip that i started to have enough of walking!

image hosted on flickr

P5234450 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5234452 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old September 3rd, 2012, 01:41 PM   #513
Xorcist

Likes (Received): 408

Quote:
Not quite sure what this is for? Impressive though

image hosted on flickr

P5234442 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
it is the Feldherrnhalle. It was built between 1841 and 1844 at the southern end of Munich's Ludwigstrasse next to the Palais Preysing and east of the Hofgarten. Previously the Gothic Schwabinger Tor (gate) occupied that place. Friedrich von Gärtner built the Feldherrnhalle at the behest of King Ludwig I of Bavaria after the example of the Loggia dei Lanzi in Florence. The Feldherrnhalle was a symbol of the honours of the Bavarian Army. It contains statues of military leaders Johann Tilly and Karl Philipp von Wrede. The central sculptural group was added in 1882, after the Franco-Prussian War.

On Friday morning, 9 November 1923, the Feldherrnhalle was the scene of a confrontation between the Bavarian State Police and an illegally organized march by the followers of Adolf Hitler. When ordered to stop the marchers continued; the State Police felt threatened and opened fire. Four policemen and sixteen marchers were killed and a number were wounded, including Hermann Göring. As a result, Hitler was arrested and sentenced to a prison term. This was one of the efforts by the Nazis to take over the Bavarian State, commonly referred to as the Beer Hall Putsch. (by Wikipedia)
Xorcist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:09 PM   #515
cardiff

image hosted on flickr

P5234465 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5234467 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

This was cool, unfortunatley this small section was the only part of the English garden i managed to see, but surfing in a city center park on the river is a pretty cool thing i havent seen before, was the water made to go this fast for this purpose or was it someone thinking "i have a good idea!"?

image hosted on flickr

P5234468 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:11 PM   #516
cardiff

This part of the city was definately the relaxed beautiful side i had heared so much about, shame i was was staying in the polar oposite end of town!

image hosted on flickr

P5234469 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5234470 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5234471 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:33 PM   #517
Xorcist

Likes (Received): 408

Yeah but anyway Munich is a nice and livable place. i really like the city, though i live in rival Berlin...i hope you were at BBQ at the beaches of Isar River or at least tried out some of the nice beergardens....even that touristic one at the chinese tower is just loveley try some good bavarian beer and a brezel, and of course enjoy the lederhosen and the terrible music ))
Xorcist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #518
cardiff

Unfortunately we didnt have time, and had run out of energy

image hosted on flickr

P5234475 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5234477 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5234479 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr